Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575
Default Terelle Pryor to start for raiders in final game

NFL.com
Quote:
Terrelle Pryor to be Oakland Raiders' QB in 2012 finale0 By Dan Hanzus Around the League Writer
Published: Dec. 28, 2012 at 03:37 p.m. Updated: Dec. 28, 2012 at 05:57 p.m.

Friend(s) Email

Your Email
Send Email By Dan Hanzus

Justin Smith vows to make playoff return for Niners
Oregon's Kelly could attract interest from Eagles, other teams
More Columns >
Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Terrelle Pryor has waited nearly two seasons for a genuine opportunity in the NFL. That opportunity is here.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen announced Friday that Pryor will be Oakland's starting quarterback in the season finale against the San Diego Chargers. That makes Pryor the Raiders' 15th different starting QB since 2003.

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai
Matt Leinart -- who essentially was Tebow'd here -- will be Pryor's backup Sunday with regular starter Carson Palmer injured, and he seemed to take the news in stride.

"The competitor in me wants to play, wants to start, but I do understand that they need to evaluate him, and I get that," Leinart said, via The Associated Press. "Obviously, you're not happy by any means, but at the same time, I'm a team player. ... I'm happy to help."

Leinart is right about the Raiders' need to evaluate Pryor, a third-round pick in the 2011 supplemental draft. He has played sparingly this season, attempting just two passes and one run.

"I'm ready," Pryor said, via Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. "I felt in command in the huddle this week. Am I nervous? Yeah, I'm nervous."

Pryor is an athletic but raw talent who starred at Ohio State before scandal ended his collegiate career. Leinart, who's in his seventh NFL season, struggled in place of Palmer last week against the Carolina Panthers, completing 16 of 32 passes for 115 yards with one interception in a 17-6 loss.

Lombardi: Right way to fix a team
As Black Monday nears, Michael Lombardi says teams must avoid knee-jerk changes and stick to their philosophy. More ...
Leinart is what he is at this point of his career, and the Raiders don't necessarily need to see more of him. Palmer might not even be back next season. Pryor is the unknown entity, and circumstances have conspired to give him what amounts to a four-quarter audition.

"We know what his strengths are, we know what his weaknesses are," Allen said of Pryor, via The AP. "But really, to give him an opportunity to go out in a game, against a division opponent, at their place, and give him a chance to play, it gives us a view into the future."

At the very least, Allen now gave you a reason to watch an otherwise meaningless football game.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 679
Default Re: Terelle Pryor to start for raiders in final game

Wow. Just yesterday they were saying he didn't have a full grasp on the Raiders playbook to justify starting.

Raider franchise needs gutted from the top down.......seems so familiar at one time somehow
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

i believe it was the right call. carson is declining and possibly might not be with the team next year, Lienart is a career backup at best. Terelle is the future for that franchise. they just need to throw him in there and let him learn. you can only evaluate so much in practice as opposed to real game time. He was a winner at OSU, lets see how it translates into the NFL for him.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 679

It's logical. You need to evaluate the future. I just can't see why they haven't gotten him more involved midway through the season to build up to a possible start. I think that has been a general question with Raider fans for some time now.

I am guessing Palmer won't be around next season either. He's scheduled 13 mill I think? Financial reasoning alone compared to what he produces does not justify that much money. Leinart has just tanked on virtually level since college. Not sure if it was confidence, playbook, schemes or what, but he just never made the next step. I just can't see him being much more than 3rd string at best.

Now, Raiders are faced with trying to evaluate what they have in Pryor in one game. Not fair to him, not fair to the fans, not fair to the staff. They have a serious decision on when to draft a QB in April.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
i believe it was the right call. carson is declining and possibly might not be with the team next year, Lienart is a career backup at best. Terelle is the future for that franchise. they just need to throw him in there and let him learn. you can only evaluate so much in practice as opposed to real game time. He was a winner at OSU, lets see how it translates into the NFL for him.
No he's not.
2011: 80.5rating
2012: 85.3rating

Not only is he not declining, he's getting better. It's a widely known fact that the Raiders have a horrible defense, no running game, and mostly bad receivers(can't hold onto the ball). None of these things are in any way Carson's fault. Nobody that's paid to evaluate/comment on NFL players is saying Carson is done as a starter.

With that said; is he good enough to justify a $13 million salary next season? No, but he's definitely the best option the Raiders have at this point. Whether he'll be in Oakland or not next season will have nothing to do with his performance, but whether or not he'll agree to a pay cut.

Pryor has shown absolutely nothing in his limited game snaps against starting NFL players, so I'm sure this is just slightly more than a formality before deciding if they want to move forward with Carson next season, or use their top 5 pick on a QB.

What a crappy end to a crappy season.
Oh, and I'm sure you already know this, but for those that don't: Palmer isn't starting because he is injured. It has nothing to do with his performance.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 12-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8270

If the Raiders move on from Palmer he may end up playing for the Jets, or the Chiefs, or taking a huge paycut and backing up Big Ben in Pittsburgh (he'd be guaranteed at least 2 starts a year there).
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28354

Just when I think the Oakland Raiders have reached a new low, they keep digging.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:59 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
This is why he isn't playing, not his performance

CSN Bay Area's Paul Gutierrez reports a Monday CT scan revealed that Carson Palmer has cracked ribs and bruised lung after Sunday's mammoth blow to the back from Panthers RE Greg Hardy
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post

CSN Bay Area's Paul Gutierrez reports a Monday CT scan revealed that Carson Palmer has cracked ribs and bruised lung after Sunday's mammoth blow to the back from Panthers RE Greg Hardy
i know he was injured.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
If the Raiders move on from Palmer he may end up playing for the Jets, or the Chiefs, or taking a huge paycut and backing up Big Ben in Pittsburgh (he'd be guaranteed at least 2 starts a year there).
Don't forget AZ. Their QB situation is horrible.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19224

Raiders are on a free-fall............ they should use their first round pick last season or their second round pick this season on a quarterback...... wait..........
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79072

i'll be rooting for terrelle!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post

ouch
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8270

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Don't forget AZ. Their QB situation is horrible.
True, but they have a horrid O-line...I'm not sure Carson wants to start for a team where he is going to get pummeled and have no chance of competing. He may not be done in Oakland, though. Most seem to realize that decent QBs are hard to come by and they have far too many holes to use a top pick on a weak QB class.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nately120 View Post
True, but they have a horrid O-line...I'm not sure Carson wants to start for a team where he is going to get pummeled and have no chance of competing. He may not be done in Oakland, though. Most seem to realize that decent QBs are hard to come by and they have far too many holes to use a top pick on a weak QB class.
Yup. I'm guessing he'll be in Oakland for the remainder of his contract at least.

If Oakland was smart, they'd shop thier 1st round pick for some additional picks; similar to what St. Louis did last draft. They have so many holes, especially on defense. Not to mention, they have to decide what to do with McFadden since he's ineffective in a ZBS.

Last edited by shaolinghost; 12-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
No he's not.
2011: 80.5rating
2012: 85.3rating
Your're right... He fully declined after 2005

2005: 101.1rating
2006: 93.9rating
2007: 86.7rating
2009: 83.6rating
2010: 82.4rating

2008: 69.0rating (I don't can't this season since he only played 4 games)

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1

Last edited by Lawless_1; 12-29-2012 at 05:45 PM.