Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Go Cards's Avatar
Go Cards Go Cards is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Still Clinging to Hope
Posts: 4,473
Rep Points: 14130
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Thinking that Santa will bring a new SS and LB in the early rounds of the upcoming draft.
__________________
14+18+25+32+85+82+12+84+77+71 x 97's Defense = Super Bowl Champions.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 23,014
Rep Points: 25905
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Thinking that Santa will bring a new SS and LB in the early rounds of the upcoming draft.
Chase Thomas from Stanford to play the strongside. As far as SS (even though we do not classify our safeties) I feel Crocker has been healthy and playing the best football that he has played since being a Bengal. Those legs look refreshed and seem to have a couple of seasons left in them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Goose's Avatar
Goose Goose is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Glencoe Kentucky
Posts: 4,760
Rep Points: 6115
Default Re: What say about Rey?

I think he is improving, nothing wrong with that. Rey Lewis misses tackles also as well as taking out his own team mates. He's OK and still a young pup.
__________________
"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 AM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 23,014
Rep Points: 25905
bengals Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I think he is improving, nothing wrong with that. Rey Lewis misses tackles also as well as taking out his own team mates. He's OK and still a young pup.
After four seasons he should be above just improving. I think the fact that he took off some weight has certainly improved his game but in watching him I have not seen that "it" factor that makes me feel he will elevate his game above what we are seeing now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,766
Rep Points: 13837
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Most of the year I have been critical of Rey's play. I've been assured it is not his fault that he's not very good. Rey is the only person that can make me miss Dhani Jones. This 4-3 D needs a MLB and let Rey be the backup SAM. Who disagrees?
I read a couple of weeks ago that he lead the league in most yards given up before the tackle with an average greater than 4.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM
kramer1 kramer1 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,059
Rep Points: 428
Default Re: What say about Rey?

He's a bum.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 AM
fortyyearfan fortyyearfan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,127
Rep Points: 1878
bengals Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
And what if he didn't want to come here? There has to be mutual interest. He was looking for a one year deal and we were looking for a solution long term.

Landry (I wanted him) is also made of glass and could easily go down at any time.
So there were reasons to not get Landry as well.
I BELIEVE rey rey has shown all of us that he is just a decent, average player,but most of us thought he would be a super star. he has up to now not panned out,although he has been better lately. i honestly feel like starting next season, they need someone better at his positon starting. who will that be.anybodys guess.rey rey has the physical skills,prehaps not the mental skills to be great.if he is still downing the sauce at times, that alone could be holding him back. its very difficult to stay in shape, monitor your personal life, and WANT TO BE GREAT. IT requires alot of attention and as a player and being young, you just have to want all that alot.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Stewee28's Avatar
Stewee28 Stewee28 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cincy Burbs, Ohio
Posts: 702
Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Some may want to extend him the gratitude of playing very well, but the last two years of horrible play has tarnished my image of him as a starting Professional Football Player. He may lead the team in tackles, but I always seem to see him running after players (usually 5-10 yards away), taking horrible angles and even horrible pass coverages. He is destined to be a back up. Bring in someone who is Fast, Athletic, Good Instincts and knows what they are doing. At this point, Id say Ogeltree from UGA is looking pretty good right now.

Hopefully next year at this time we will be talking about the huge contributions of Dontay Moch, maybe even Brandon Joiner. Bring in some rookies.....Ogletree, Kasheem Greene.

This defense is two or three players away from being the top defense in the league and maybe one of the greatest defenses in Bengals history. Address LB, Safety and maybe DE!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM
bfine32's Avatar
bfine32 bfine32 is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Radcliff, KY
Posts: 23,422
Rep Points: 43961
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I think he is improving, nothing wrong with that.
He has been rated bottom 3 or lower defender on our D in 5 of the last 6 games.

Dude is the weak link on our D.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM
D.Boon's Avatar
D.Boon D.Boon is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,184
Rep Points: 2759
Default Re: What say about Rey?

I don't want him here next year. I think if they bring him back it's not to be a backup SAM. Its to remain the starter in the middle. That would mean they don't address that issue through the draft or FA (personally, I'm a fan of Ogeltree in the first/early second).

Overall, I think Rey has gotten better but he's still a lousy football player. He doesn't do anything particularly well. Has poor intangibles. I say send him packing. Afterall, he's not a guy that's difficult to replace. He is a bottom tier NFL starter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 23,014
Rep Points: 25905
bengals Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Some may want to extend him the gratitude of playing very well, but the last two years of horrible play has tarnished my image of him as a starting Professional Football Player. He may lead the team in tackles, but I always seem to see him running after players (usually 5-10 yards away), taking horrible angles and even horrible pass coverages. He is destined to be a back up. Bring in someone who is Fast, Athletic, Good Instincts and knows what they are doing. At this point, Id say Ogeltree from UGA is looking pretty good right now.

Hopefully next year at this time we will be talking about the huge contributions of Dontay Moch, maybe even Brandon Joiner. Bring in some rookies.....Ogletree, Kasheem Greene.

This defense is two or three players away from being the top defense in the league and maybe one of the greatest defenses in Bengals history. Address LB, Safety and maybe DE!
Hate to disappoint you but I believe the Moch at LB experiment is over.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,883
Rep Points: 19118
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils advocate View Post
Dude, I always read what you write. In fact I seek your insight out when I peruse this section.

An honest ( and you would know more than me ) assessment ( the eye test, actually ) tells me that Burfict would at minimum be sufficient. Dare I say better?? Just someone that controls his spot. He doesn't have to shine.... just control your lane!!!
That's wasn't meant as a reply to you; I have a habit of pressing the quote box all the time...
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Stewee28's Avatar
Stewee28 Stewee28 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cincy Burbs, Ohio
Posts: 702
Rep Points: 1025
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Hate to disappoint you but I believe the Moch at LB experiment is over.
I, unfortunately, have agree with you, but DEEP DEEP DEEP down inside, there is still a little part of me that believes he still has the potential to explode onto the scene next year. He has all the tools. His migranes and injuries are not helping his case, both of which are non-controlable factors.

He has not been able to show his full potential on the field yet. We all know his skill set, but we havent been able to see it translate between the lines. One more year, thats it. If nohting happens next year, then lets write him off.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Essex Johnson Essex Johnson is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 124
Rep Points: 97
Default Re: What say about Rey?

I'm in agreement with Pistons reply, you can't let guards have clean shots at your lb's, doesn't matter who your mike is, you'll probably see again this weekend. I don't know if you recall, but baltimore was getting a guard out cleanly on Rey, alot. Your scheme's can't do that and that has been proven against the ravens. So here is what I suggest you look for then make your final critques. See how he does on running down's with Pat Sims in the game. With Sims and Adkins in the game he's likely to be able to run to the ball, I just hope he does over run the play, also this is no dig on Peko, I totally appreciate what he brings to the team.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,390
Rep Points: 24924
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Rey's played better since the bye, but I think Burfict has shown more of the ability and the fire to be our guy in the middle. Time to look for a couple of guys to play the outside. I like what I've seen of Lamur, but not sure if he's one of those guys. This years draft class has some real talent at OLB. I'd say we have to grab someone like Greene or Barr.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:54 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 23,014
Rep Points: 25905
bengals Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Rey's played better since the bye, but I think Burfict has shown more of the ability and the fire to be our guy in the middle. Time to look for a couple of guys to play the outside. I like what I've seen of Lamur, but not sure if he's one of those guys. This years draft class has some real talent at OLB. I'd say we have to grab someone like Greene or Barr.
Re-sign Thomas Howard and groom Lamur, move Burfict to the middle, and draft Chase Thomas to play SLB.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,766
Rep Points: 26220
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Rey's played better since the bye, but I think Burfict has shown more of the ability and the fire to be our guy in the middle. Time to look for a couple of guys to play the outside. I like what I've seen of Lamur, but not sure if he's one of those guys. This years draft class has some real talent at OLB. I'd say we have to grab someone like Greene or Barr.
Id move Burfict to SLB and look for a WLB this year and hope that the 2014 draft holds better answers at MLB. Because I really don't think this year is the answer for a MLB.
Ogletree is looking more like an OLB.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Fan_in_Kettering's Avatar
Fan_in_Kettering Fan_in_Kettering is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 8,642
Rep Points: 30181
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Rey Maualuga progressed from terrible to average over the first fifteen games of the season. While I believe he has potential to be stout against the run as well as becoming effective at the blitz and shoot-through, I think Rey's downside is his inability to drop into coverage and do anything well. To be fair, that wasn't his role under Pete Carroll at USC but this is the NFL and players are expected to grow, improve, and mature after they are drafted and as their career progresses. I like Rey personally very much but I don't think he is the dominant middle linebacker Cincinnati needs to be a perennial Super Bowl contender. I would unload Rey while his stock is still high.

Meanwhile, the Bengals have Vontaze Burfict who I think will become a premier NFL middle linebacker as long as he wants to play. In 2013 I envision Vontaze in the middle with Dontay Moch and Manny Lawson on the outside.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Flatlander's Avatar
Flatlander Flatlander is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 293
Rep Points: 2027
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Just wanted to bump a thread from a year ago. But the question remains: What sat about Rey?
He was our defense's most improved player as the season went along. He looked brutal out there early in the season but has made nice strides down the stretch.

I think he will be just fine going forward. Maybe not the impact player we all envisioned, but solid and certainly no longer on my must-replace list.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:05 PM
OSUfan's Avatar
OSUfan OSUfan is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vandalia, ohio
Posts: 23,014
Rep Points: 25905
bengals Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
Rey Maualuga progressed from terrible to average over the first fifteen games of the season. While I believe he has potential to be stout against the run as well as becoming effective at the blitz and shoot-through, I think Rey's downside is his inability to drop into coverage and do anything well. To be fair, that wasn't his role under Pete Carroll at USC but this is the NFL and players are expected to grow, improve, and mature after they are drafted and as their career progresses. I like Rey personally very much but I don't think he is the dominant middle linebacker Cincinnati needs to be a perennial Super Bowl contender. I would unload Rey while his stock is still high.

Meanwhile, the Bengals have Vontaze Burfict who I think will become a premier NFL middle linebacker as long as he wants to play. In 2013 I envision Vontaze in the middle with Dontay Moch and Manny Lawson on the outside.
Manny is our worst starting LB and Moch has not taken a single snap at WLB. Unless I am missing something there is probably a reason that they were working Moch almost strictly at DE in camp. This would lead me to believe that his transition to LB has went terribly wrong and they were looking for a use for him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,766
Rep Points: 26220
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Manny is our worst starting LB and Moch has not taken a single snap at WLB. Unless I am missing something there is probably a reason that they were working Moch almost strictly at DE in camp. This would lead me to believe that his transition to LB has went terribly wrong and they were looking for a use for him.
It went wrong because it was a bit too ambitious in the first place.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Whoopty Freakin' Doo! Whoopty Freakin' Doo! is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 95
Rep Points: 348
Default Re: What say about Rey?

mlb is a thinking mans position as much as it is physical. Asking a samoan to makes quick decisions and call smart plays isnt exactly doable in most cases. Nothing against samaons, but they perform better when you fatten them up and plug them in the middle of the d line.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM
bfine32's Avatar
bfine32 bfine32 is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Radcliff, KY
Posts: 23,422
Rep Points: 43961
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
He was our defense's most improved player as the season went along. He looked brutal out there early in the season but has made nice strides down the stretch.

I think he will be just fine going forward. Maybe not the impact player we all envisioned, but solid and certainly no longer on my must-replace list.
See this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
He has been rated bottom 3 or lower defender on our D in 5 of the last 6 games.

Dude is the weak link on our D.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 PM
Fan_in_Kettering's Avatar
Fan_in_Kettering Fan_in_Kettering is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 8,642
Rep Points: 30181
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopty Freakin' Doo! View Post
mlb is a thinking mans position as much as it is physical. Asking a samoan to makes quick decisions and call smart plays isnt exactly doable in most cases. Nothing against samaons, but they perform better when you fatten them up and plug them in the middle of the d line.
Tell that to Troy Polamalu and Lofa Tatupu.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM
berserkerone88's Avatar
berserkerone88 berserkerone88 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Did you get that thing I sencha?
Posts: 20,766
Rep Points: 26220
Default Re: What say about Rey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
Tell that to Troy Polamalu and Lofa Tatupu.
Troy doesn't do that and Lofa was overrated
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.