Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8158
Default The Hobbit

Watched The Hobbit in I-max 3d last night. It was great, couldv'e sat through the next one no problem.
With I -max you got a 9 minute segment of the upcoming Star Trek movie...OMG!! ..Looks freaking great. This one will be a must in I-max 3d, trust me.
Man of Steel looks pretty darn good as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 49015
Default Re: The Hobbit

It was good, but... too many dwarfs. That was one of the great things about the first, all the conflicting personalities and histories. With this one, the dwarves kind of make the biggest chunk of the cast all too similar.

One thing I did like was the reversal of certain things. I don't want to include any spoilers, but there are certain things happening in the first Hobbit that happened in the third and, I'm guessing, some things that will happen in the last that kind of mirror the first. That was cool.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 AM
VIP Silver Member

To be honest The Hobbit is primarily based on the dwarves trying to destroy Smog and regain their homeland.
The dwarves are primarily the main characters in the hobbit and while Blbo's character is certainly one of the main ones he's almost more of a sidekick in the telling of The Hobbit especiallly early in the books.As the plot developes his character become much more pertinent to the outcome.
Jackson obviously embelished certain parts such as the white orc but all in all it was fantastic.
I am sure that Lincoln is good but one must be in the proper mood if you want to sit through a telling of such a miserable and gloomy period in american history.The acting is probably great but by the time a person leaves that movie they are probably done watching movies about Lincoln for a while.
When one leaves The Hobbit they are pretty much ready to go back for more.
The 3-d was pretty amazing in The Hobbit but Star Treks 3-d visualization was stunning and can only be compared to Avatar's...imho
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton View Post
It was good, but... too many dwarfs. That was one of the great things about the first, all the conflicting personalities and histories. With this one, the dwarves kind of make the biggest chunk of the cast all too similar.

One thing I did like was the reversal of certain things. I don't want to include any spoilers, but there are certain things happening in the first Hobbit that happened in the third and, I'm guessing, some things that will happen in the last that kind of mirror the first. That was cool.
Thats the whole freaking story.... bilbo joining the drawves on an adventure to reclaim their homes.

Several from this story are mentioned in LOTR's

Bilbo and Frodo both leave on their adventures at the same age of 50.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-18-2012, 02:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3975

I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, but I'm really struggling to see how they can break that book up into 3 different movies. It was by far the shortest of the other Trilogy books, and they were a movie a piece. For those who have seen the movie, does it seem like they are dragging out scenes far more than necessary? That's been my biggest fear about this movie ever since they annouced it was going to be another trilogy.

With out giving too much away, spoilerwise, where does this movie end? And at what point does the next movie pick up the story again? Does the group get to Rivendale? Do they meet Beorn yet? How close to the mountain do they get?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalHawk62 View Post
I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, but I'm really struggling to see how they can break that book up into 3 different movies. It was by far the shortest of the other Trilogy books, and they were a movie a piece. For those who have seen the movie, does it seem like they are dragging out scenes far more than necessary? That's been my biggest fear about this movie ever since they annouced it was going to be another trilogy.

With out giving too much away, spoilerwise, where does this movie end? And at what point does the next movie pick up the story again? Does the group get to Rivendale? Do they meet Beorn yet? How close to the mountain do they get?
As a huge fan of the series and Tolkien i wondered this myself.. From my understanding (yet to see the movies) And LOTR was actually 6 books but usually come as a triology with 2 books in each book...

But they are using Lore that tolkien wrote to be happening around his world at the time to extend the movies (from his books like the similrian and the lost tales... J.R.R. tolkiens universe had over 20 books). So we might see more of whats happening with the orcs dwarves humans that the book doesnt cover. But one thing i know for sure with 3 3 hour movies. They sure as hell better not cut anything out especially Beorn

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-18-2012, 04:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 26426
Thumbs up Re: The Hobbit

Have to go Christmas shopping this Sunday during the big game and if it wasn't for the
Hobbit i would have taken the wrath of the whole family and stayed home.

Been wanting to see this longer than i wanted to see the LOTR's.

Big JRR Tolkien fan here. The Hobbit is more lighthearted and funny which is what i love in
a great movie. Loved the LOTR's and is my favorite movie of all time but this will most
likely take over that spot soon enough.

BTW, the dwarves are pretty much the whole story. You take some out and you ruin it.

I bet Smaug will be badazz.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliminate08 View Post

I bet Smaug will be badazz.
This This is what i want to see and the battle of 5 armies....

Basically this Story "the hobbit" introduces us to tolkiens world sets up the hobbit bilbo having the ring. (for lord of the rings)

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-18-2012, 04:21 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 77339

So when do they start production on the Silmarillion?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalzona View Post
Some of that is being thrown into here...

As big a fan i am i dont know if i could watch that one lol

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Some of that is being thrown into here...

As big a fan i am i dont know if i could watch that one lol
I read the whole thing, but it's not necessarily something I'd read through again.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

I read The Hobbit and all three of The Lord of the Rings books but couldn't get thru the Silmarillion.....SPOILERS....................SPOIL ERS............................
In what little you get to see of Smaug it is stunning. Finally a movie and director that captures the true magnificence and awesome power of what a dragon should represent.
Smaug is/will be amazing!! Seriously Smaug gets very little screen time in this first installment but is hands down the best depiction of a dragon that I have ever witnessed in a movie.Jackson actually brings a dragon to life on screen...for real! You can feel the majestic power of a dragon.
Of course they visit Rivendale and the mountain is in sight at the very end of this first segment. It is somewhat slow at first as they try to set up the plot for those that have not read the books but I could honestly go watch it again right now. My biggest fear was that they would over do it with all of the songs but they didn't and you can feel the anguish in the dwarves song.
They do a good job of explaining the swords Glamdring,Foe-hammer and Orcrist,Goblin-Cleaver. They explain a little about Sting but I believe there will be more to come about the Elven weapon.
The movie is 2:45 long. The first time I glanced at my watch was at the 2 hour mark and I was like what? There's only 45 minutes left! By then the movie had begun to draw everyone in.My brothers wife ,who is not a fan, was like, "man I was just getting into it". She said, "I'm ready for the next one RIGHT NOW"!...lol...I smiled on the inside and thought, me too! Thorin Oakenshield is a bad azz.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I read The Hobbit and all three of The Lord of the Rings books but couldn't get thru the Silmarillion.....SPOILERS....................SPOIL ERS............................
In what little you get to see of Smaug it is stunning. Finally a movie and director that captures the true magnificence and awesome power of what a dragon should represent.
Smaug is/will be amazing!! Seriously Smaug gets very little screen time in this first installment but is hands down the best depiction of a dragon that I have ever witnessed in a movie.Jackson actually brings a dragon to life on screen...for real! You can feel the majestic power of a dragon.
Of course they visit Rivendale and the mountain is in sight at the very end of this first segment. It is somewhat slow at first as they try to set up the plot for those that have not read the books but I could honestly go watch it again right now. My biggest fear was that they would over do it with all of the songs but they didn't and you can feel the anguish in the dwarves song.
They do a good job of explaining the swords Glamdring,Foe-hammer and Orcrist,Goblin-Cleaver. They explain a little about Sting but I believe there will be more to come about the Elven weapon.
The movie is 2:45 long. The first time I glanced at my watch was at the 2 hour mark and I was like what? There's only 45 minutes left! By then the movie had begun to draw everyone in.My brothers wife ,who is not a fan, was like, "man I was just getting into it". She said, "I'm ready for the next one RIGHT NOW"!...lol...I smiled on the inside and thought, me too! Thorin Oakenshield is a bad azz.

Usually i try to stay away from spoilers but these ones make me happy, thanks for the info man.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18103

I want to see it, but the 3 hour length is really long. I still haven't watched the Dark Knight Rises because of the length. It is hard for me to sit down and watch a movie for that long.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19895

I saw it last Friday. It was good. I was a huge fan of LOTR movies from the music to the backdrop used to the characters. One of the best things from this movie for me was the use of the original music of the first movies integrated with the newer dwarf theme. As I said I saw it on Friday, and it was just nice to escape to Middle Earth after knowing what had happened up in Connecticut.

And to comment on the length and it being spit into 3 movies, I really don't mind at all. Actually I am glad he did, because why not do it right? The scene with Gollum and Bilbo was an instant classic part of a movie, and went right with the book as far as I can remember. And there are some parts of the book that can't take 5 minutes to show, especially with Smaug later on, as well as the battle of the 5 armies.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6791

Quote:
I read the whole thing, but it's not necessarily something I'd read through again.
Then I challenge you to read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maitenance.

The only reason I finished that book and The Silmarillion is because I'm not a quitter.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah its a tought read reads like a history book...

Stephen kings IT i gave up after about 1000 pages...

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-29-2012, 01:44 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Loved it even better than the LOTR's.

I thought it would be action packed but it blew me away. Watched it in 3D and the
beginning was insane with Smaug. Didn't expect him to be that big. Loved the mountain
trolls, the Goblin King and the crazy white Orc.

Ian Mckellan was amazing as was Martin Freeman and the Dwarves were hilarious.

Best movie i have ever seen hands down.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Yeah its a tought read reads like a history book...

Stephen kings IT i gave up after about 1000 pages...
I was the same way with The Stand. I loved the first part of the book but the second part of the read was just to hokie for me.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13380

Quote:
That would be a major flop at the box office. Yeah I know you were just being facetious. I havent read it but i flipped thru it many times and there is so much weird stuff in there. The guy had to be on acid when he wrote that one
Old 12-29-2012, 03:26 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by browns town bengal View Post
That would be a major flop at the box office. Yeah I know you were just being facetious. I havent read it but i flipped thru it many times and there is so much weird stuff in there. The guy had to be on acid when he wrote that one
Probably would flop at the box office. But a TV mini-series or one of the HBO-type series could work if managed, edited and marketed well. Peter Jackson probably has the skill and desire to bring this kind of story to that medium.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12542

Martin Freeman really was great. It was an awesome movie. When does the 2nd one come out?

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
Martin Freeman really was great. It was an awesome movie. When does the 2nd one come out?
same time next year.

Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 700

They are setting everything up, they will be going into how the Necromancer rises to power since he is Sauron. I liked all the back story they gave, on why Azog the Defiler was after the dwarves. The Gollum scene was classic as well

sad we have to wait a year