Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 196
Default Playoff scenario breakdown....embarrassing for us

Read what he says about Mike and what the outlook w Aj, Andy, geno looks like. Pretty embarrassing for our organization to have that label If you ask me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--di...202447999.html
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 574
Default Re: Playoff scenario breakdown....embarrassing for us

mike brown has actually been alot better at paying productive players over the last few years...better than quite a few other teams out there.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2767

Quote:
Bengals at Patriots This game likely has the least drama to it (you could substitute Houston or Denver for New England and get the same feeling), but there's something about the Bengals that makes me think they're going to be interesting for the next couple of years. Quarterback Andy Dalton, wide receiver A.J. Green and defensive tackle Geno Atkins are all really young, so it's likely that they're going to get a few years to stay together before owner Mike Brown takes his inevitable hardline stance and refuses to pay at least one of them.
Sounds about right
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4263

Just another media d bag living in the past. What's next? A reference to arrests? A quitting QB quip? Azzbag.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17807

Quote:
Originally Posted by baul prown View Post
Read what he says about Mike and what the outlook w Aj, Andy, geno looks like. Pretty embarrassing for our organization to have that label If you ask me.

he must have gotten promoted from Bleachereport last week
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33777

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Mike lets Geno, AJ or Andy "test the market" like he did with Joseph, I will quit this team. Those 3 players are the guys you build this team around. You don't let players like that walk, and Mike should be proactive in getting their deals done.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Mike lets Geno, AJ or Andy "test the market" like he did with Joseph, I will quit this team. Those 3 players are the guys you build this team around. You don't let players like that walk, and Mike should be proactive in getting their deals done.
You do realize there are two sides in contract negotiations? Franchise tag is not even a guarantee a guy won't leave. If for some horrible reason we were forced to use the franchise tag on Andy or AJ and the other decided he wanted a change of scenery (ala JJ) there is nothing Mike Brown can do about it.

He offers fair market value. And in some cases (Palmer, Geathers) over pays.

The change in attitude (from losing to winning) around here will probably help us more than hiring a GM would.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1079

Something about the media a lot of people don't get is that this dude (Jason Cole is it?) gets paid to write controvesial things.

The more extreme he is in his point of view, the more views he'll receive from the masses, for we are mindless drones looking for something to entertain or incite us.

Also, didn't he just say we were actually an interesting team? Sounds like he was just cracking a joke that really wasn't that offensive..
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22253

Quote:

Might be embarrassing if it were true. He's back in ten years ago with a lot of other people. Must be quite the party going on back there.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22253

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
You do realize there are two sides in contract negotiations? Franchise tag is not even a guarantee a guy won't leave. If for some horrible reason we were forced to use the franchise tag on Andy or AJ and the other decided he wanted a change of scenery (ala JJ) there is nothing Mike Brown can do about it.

The change in attitude (from losing to winning) around here will probably help us more than hiring a GM would.
Why would they want to leave, other than free deodorant? Two years in, two years in the playoffs. Sounds exactly like what players are after.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

You do realize that Joseph stated that he wished to remain a Bengal and would try to negotiate a contract and was also willing to accept the franchise tag as well, right? He had no reason to say any of that unless he really wanted to stay. He was a free agent and had no reason to lie.

Joseph left because the Texans offered more guaranteed money. Period. He didn't just "want a change of scenery". He loved coach Zimmer and he got along with his teammates. He left for the same reason most players leave their original teams. Money. We would not commit to him what the Texans did, so he took the guaranteed money.

If we pull the same crap with Geno or AJ, they'll leave too. When you have an elite player, you don't hot dog it when it comes to negotiations. They take that stuff as an insult, and they will find a 1st class team that will pay them.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Mike Brown has always paid to keep his players. This guy is an idiot.

He made Boomer the highest paid QB in the NFL. He made Pickens he highest paid WR in the NFL... twice. He paid Willie Anderson top LT money. He made Carson the highest paid player in the NFL. He always locks up players to big deals when they show any promise - Geathers, Peko, Whitworth, Hall, Cook. When Justin Smith wanted out, he still franchise tagged him to keep him here an extra year. Corey Dillon wanted out, yet Mike Brown signed him to two different long term deals. I think Jeremi Johnson was the highest paid FB in he NFL for a while, or close to it. A lot of people on this board constantly complain that our players are overpaid and want us to cut them to save on payroll.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
You do realize that Joseph stated that he wished to remain a Bengal and would try to negotiate a contract and was also willing to accept the franchise tag as well, right? He had no reason to say any of that unless he really wanted to stay. He was a free agent and had no reason to lie.

Joseph left because the Texans offered more guaranteed money. Period. He didn't just "want a change of scenery". He loved coach Zimmer and he got along with his teammates. He left for the same reason most players leave their original teams. Money. We would not commit to him what the Texans did, so he took the guaranteed money.

If we pull the same crap with Geno or AJ, they'll leave too. When you have an elite player, you don't hot dog it when it comes to negotiations. They take that stuff as an insult, and they will find a 1st class team that will pay them.
You're pretty ignorant about what happened with Joseph. That's not what happened at all.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
You're pretty ignorant about what happened with Joseph. That's not what happened at all.
What did I say that was incorrect?

Joseph did say that he wanted to remain a Bengal, and the Texans did offer Joseph way more guaranteed money.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4233

Quote:

Joseph did say that he wanted to remain a Bengal, and the Texans did offer Joseph way more guaranteed money.
He had been through the Carson, Chad, TJ, Chucky B, Bratcowski, TO drama and was ready to move on. I can't really blame him. And if he was one of the guys that didn't really want to be here, we may be lucky to have moved on instead of keeping an unhappy player.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...rks-about-team

We were in it. What we offered was not far off what the Texans gave him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...lass-franchise
Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13263

There is no way Mike Brown lets any of them walk.

Unless, of course, they don't want to stay (a la Joseph).
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19460

Quote:
He had been through the Carson, Chad, TJ, Chucky B, Bratcowski, TO drama and was ready to move on. I can't really blame him. And if he was one of the guys that didn't really want to be here, we may be lucky to have moved on instead of keeping an unhappy player.

At the time, I think I remember him saying that he would have stayed but the Bengals were late in getting him the offer.

No way in hell we let any of these guys walk because we have to spend a lot of money to hit the salary floor and back-to-back playoffs have to have Mike loving life. I don't think it's about money anymore because now I think it's just about his legacy and he wants to win.

Last edited by bradfritz21; 12-30-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4522

Quote:

I just have to say I don't like Joseph's comments about the Bengals organization. He makes it sound like the Bengals wouldn't be there for his family when his wife had her miscarriage.

Say what you will about Mike Brown being cheap, but the man does treat families with respect and show sympathy and empathy to families during tough times.

As far as free Gatorade and deodorant... I can see both sides. Players who make MILLIONS should be able to afford their own personal hygiene products and refreshments. Yet I could also see how a player would expect those things. Especially one who thinks they should be paid MORE than they are worth.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11533

Quote:

First, I never read or heard JJoe say any of those things. Not calling you a liar, but I would like to see a link on that since I've never seen any of it.

Second, Jason Cole is a long time Bengals hater.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 38088

Quote:

Actually, contrary to what that guy says, I have a much better feeling about the Patriots match up than either the Texans or the Broncos. Houston and Denver are much more balanced and it would be really tough for the Bengals to beat either of them. This Patriots team however, they can be had.

And you know what, screw it man, it's the playoffs, we got some young ballers, you gotta beat a good team sooner or later if you're gonna win a playoff game let alone a title.

Just friggin do it.

As for paying AJ Dalton and Geno, I think they'll all get paid. Did we not pay Levi, Chad and Carson? It's not his stars he don't pay, MB puts his pocket book away in other areas, like safety and backup QB and Center plus various other thrifty methods throughout his organization. He does pay his stars though, except JJoe, but for the most part.

Last edited by savagehenry54; 12-30-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

I heard it was like half a mil more. But when you add in that Texas has not state income tax, he ends up clearing a lot more than that. I can understand wanting to see him show more durability, not franchising him, and I know there is some stupid reasoning that ppl try to say, but no, just no...Not franchising him was inexcusable.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator

Rep Points: 24835

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
I heard it was like half a mil more. But when you add in that Texas has not state income tax, he ends up clearing a lot more than that. I can understand wanting to see him show more durability, not franchising him, and I know there is some stupid reasoning that ppl try to say, but no, just no...Not franchising him was inexcusable.
Mikey needs a more in-depth understanding what the "Franchise Tag" could actually do for a team...

Having J.Joe here would be great, considering the 'wasted' 1st rd draft pick choice this year...D.Pack-mule
Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9461

Quote:
...Joseph left because the Texans offered more guaranteed money. Period. He didn't just "want a change of scenery". He loved coach Zimmer and he got along with his teammates. He left for the same reason most players leave their original teams. Money. We would not commit to him what the Texans did, so he took the guaranteed money.

Exactly. You can't always go by what the player says in press conferences and interviews etc. The commentators for our games versus the Texans last year talked about JoJo leaving us for the Texans, and they reported that Joseph had said he was happy to stay in Cincinnati if they matched the money the Texans offered, but that the Bengals simply did not.

However, I think you can defend the team's stance on that. JoJo's situation was NOT the same as Andy, AJ or Geno IMO. Andy is the starting QB and AJ and Geno are amongst the very best at their positions in the entire league. Joseph was a talented player, but he also often struggled with injury (as indeed he has this season again) and was never considered amongst the very top CBs in the league when he played for us. I think you can defend the team drawing a line on what they were prepared to pay Joseph ... playing hardball with Andy, AJ or Geno will be a lot harder to defend.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Exactly. You can't always go by what the player says in press conferences and interviews etc. The commentators for our games versus the Texans last year talked about JoJo leaving us for the Texans, and they reported that Joseph had said he was happy to stay in Cincinnati if they matched the money the Texans offered, but that the Bengals simply did not.

However, I think you can defend the team's stance on that. JoJo's situation was NOT the same as Andy, AJ or Geno IMO. Andy is the starting QB and AJ and Geno are amongst the very best at their positions in the entire league. Joseph was a talented player, but he also often struggled with injury (as indeed he has this season again) and was never considered amongst the very top CBs in the league when he played for us. I think you can defend the team drawing a line on what they were prepared to pay Joseph ... playing hardball with Andy, AJ or Geno will be a lot harder to defend.
I think this team, and I think this comes from Marvin, is too hard on guys who get injured.....I understand sometimes you gotta cut bait, but it seems to me as though Marvin really despises injuries to the point that he practically blames the guy who got injured for it happening.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 50713

Brown has done decent in recent years about playing the top players good money. Palmer, Chad, White, even the contract offered to Joseph. All good players and all paid well.

There's still a lot to love about what he offers median players, but too many people confuse that as him being stingy dealing with everyone.