Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2901
Default Re: How much $$$$ is Michael Johnson gonna cost to resign him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jom112 View Post
Hopefully zero. I like MJ93, but with Geno, Green, Dalton, Dunlap, Reggie Nelson, etc... that we need to resign, we should probably let him go. We have 3 picks in the first two rounds of the upcoming draft that has some very talented pass rushers in it.

It wouldn't be smart to resign him to a large contract (as much as I like him)...
Think about what you just posted more as a cycle.

Draft player.....player turns out to be good....players turns out really good......too good.....even tho we have cap space we dont resign and player walks for nothing....move is justified because "well we have 1st round picks we can replinish with".......ok so with that logic this team will ALWAYS have the same exact holes......and this whole time were sitting here with cap space because we let all our good players walk. I guaruntee someone makes this thread about Dunlap and Reggie so just take them off your resign list, they are priorities but not in the Geno, Dalton, AJ realm. At most wit these guys were looking at 2 mega contracts and everybody else decent contracts. We could give all these guys decent offers AND STILL get multiple good players in FA. So people shouldnt worry about cap space. Us worrying about cap space is just.....crazy. We have the most in the league AND dont have many players on contracts of more than 2 years

I just want people to know its not a crime to have multiple good players. Also we have the most cap space in the league, we could sign ALL those guys plus some. The price for Dunlap goes down everytime he misses a sack. Nelson is at an age where he cant demand too much and also hes only slightly above average, he wont break the bank.

Dalton will get paid but not as much as people make it out to be. He still isnt elite, and hes being hurt further by the league having ALOT of good QBs in it.Only players that are definitely asking for near to max what their position makes are Geno and AJ. Luckily for us even the max DT doesnt make anything too far off the scale. But were gonna have to give AJ his due

Last edited by Housh; 12-30-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5905

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyZA View Post
I honestly would rather see them pick-up somebody in the draft than spending a bunch of money on him. Their are some pretty good DE's they could pick up in the earlier rounds. I wouldn't mind seeing them take either Bjoern Werner, Sam Montgomery, or Jackson Jeffcoat if any of them are available when we pick if there is not a Safety (which, IMO, is our biggest need) worth a 1st round pick available.

This is wrong in so many ways,,,first off if you do that,,then you once again will be in the same situation of do you keep that guy you drafted or not in 3-4 years.

Secondly he is proving he can generate production with the line we have and he has played with them for awhile now,,,dont split the group up and keep drafting.

Third if we do this we now have to waste a draft pick on a position we already had shored up thus leaving us in a bad way for spots that need filled like oh,,,LB AND SAFETY, not to mention we need a young stud RB in the draft, not more old used up leftovers from other teams. Brown had better make sure he keeps what we got and builds on it in the draft.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM
VIP Gold Member

"Draft player.....player turns out to be good....players turns out really good......too good.....even tho we have cap space we dont resign and player walks for nothing....move is justified because "well we have 1st round picks we can replinish with".......ok so with that logic this team will ALWAYS have the same exact holes"

Exactly housh.

Get out the checkbook,,,keep this group together and fill those other holes in the draft,,,im so sick and tired of us not having a ball hawk safety out there. And for god sakes can we get some LBs that can cover TEs?? If anybody should be underpaid or let go its peko and geathers. I would not shed a tear if they just let both of them go to FA
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2901

If anybody would know where to get a chart of when the great mainstay players on PITT and BAL got their big contracts I would be really thankful. Some guy said earlier you dont break bank on a guy that MIGHT be a star one day......ummm if he shows potential early thats EXACTLY when you cash out. You cant tell me Polomalu and Lewis and ect got their FIRST huge contract when they were already all NFL.

Theres a reason those teams have decade long players and faces of the franchises and we cant keep anybody good for more than 2 years. bceause they PAY THEIR GOOD PLAYERS THEY DONT LET THEM WALK JUST TO DRAFT THE SAME POSITIONS.LOL

Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh View Post
If anybody would know where to get a chart of when the great mainstay players on PITT and BAL got their big contracts I would be really thankful. Some guy said earlier you dont break bank on a guy that MIGHT be a star one day......ummm if he shows potential early thats EXACTLY when you cash out. You cant tell me Polomalu and Lewis and ect got their FIRST huge contract when they were already all NFL.

Theres a reason those teams have decade long players and faces of the franchises and we cant keep anybody good for more than 2 years. bceause they PAY THEIR GOOD PLAYERS THEY DONT LET THEM WALK JUST TO DRAFT THE SAME POSITIONS.LOL

Not to mention but many of those players on those teams you mentioned WANT to stay. We either dont pay enough,,,or our players want out, i think with JJ and TJ is was a combo of both. Dillon, chad, TJ, JJ, palmer, smith,,,they all wanted gone,,,if we start winning, and winning in the playoffs and paying what they are worth these types of players will want to retire here, like RL with baltimore.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 122
bengals Re: How much $$$$ is Michael Johnson gonna cost to resign him.

MJ will be expensive like all good players are in the NFL. But the DL is the driving engine of the Bengals now. IMO it is mandatory that they keep the group of Johnson, Dunlop, and Adkins intact. Peko, Gathers ,Sims, and Gilberry are a step below that group. We also have two good rookies, Still and Thompson, who cant even get dressed. As Dion Sanders says, "Pay da man" !!!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactPlaya View Post
I think this guys best days are ahead of him. I can't see how the Bengals can ill afford to let him
walk and try the FA waters.
He's a very important piece to the success of this defense.
I can understand letting Rucker and Fanene walk. those guys were a dime a dozen.
M.J is a special breed of player.
He has All Pro written all over him. He's starting to come into his own.
He got jerked around by Marvin thinking he was a hybrid DE/LB.
he's finally settled in as our RDE
I don't care if the Bengals have to overpay for him. He's worth every dollar.
another reason to keep him around.
he's a asset to the community. He cares about kids and the youth.
he's a class act 100%
he's that kind of player who's off the field actions can improve the perception
of this franchise.
Him and A.J Green are my favorite Bengals.
If we let MJ walk, he will turn out to be Justin Smith version 2.0. It will be a huge mistake for the Bengals.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2051

Anything more than 3-4 years 16-24mil would be too much. If we could resign him for anything around there I say do it. He is solid and should get solid money but we need to make sure Geno gets paid before we spend big money on anyone else.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17907

The guy has gotten better every year. He plays more snaps than any other DLineman. If he gets away, does he really become a force somewhere else? I like him. I don't know what the FO will do.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincIndy View Post
If we let MJ walk, he will turn out to be Justin Smith version 2.0. It will be a huge mistake for the Bengals.
Except Smith was never this good when he was here, he was a solid player here but he wasn't spectacular until he got to San Francisco plus he played defensive end in a 4-3 here where in San Francisco he's thrived as a 3-4 defensive end and a defensive tackle in the Nickel