Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24693
bengals Re: Even the players see it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
I thought this article was interesting because it is an external take on the value of coaches. Not saying we all have to take everything Rosenthal says as carved-in-stone truth, but it at least shows it's not just crazy, emotional Bengals fans who are complaining about Lewis:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-for-top-coach

Short version: he has Lewis ranked in his FOURTH group of coaches for the work they did in 2012 labelled "Did the Job" (this category comes after "Top Shelf", "Close to award-worthy" and "Praiseworthy" which collectively include 13 coaches) He writes of Lewis:

The Cincinnati Bengals have taken a modest step forward from a season ago, but Lewis still can drive you crazy with his challenges and game management.

Again, not that this settles the argument or anything, but those defending Lewis so passionately should be aware that there are people not emotionally involved with what happens to the Bengals who also think Lewis is a mediocre coach who has done OK-but-nothing-special this season.

And it is true. The thing i like about Marv is that he seems to have gotten more control
than the other coaches under MB and he is very good at putting a team together, very
good. But his challenges, game management and who he starts at times are terrible in
terms of attributes in a HC.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46672
Default Re: Even the players see it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
I thought this article was interesting because it is an external take on the value of coaches. Not saying we all have to take everything Rosenthal says as carved-in-stone truth, but it at least shows it's not just crazy, emotional Bengals fans who are complaining about Lewis:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-for-top-coach

Short version: he has Lewis ranked in his FOURTH group of coaches for the work they did in 2012 labelled "Did the Job" (this category comes after "Top Shelf", "Close to award-worthy" and "Praiseworthy" which collectively include 13 coaches) He writes of Lewis:

The Cincinnati Bengals have taken a modest step forward from a season ago, but Lewis still can drive you crazy with his challenges and game management.

Again, not that this settles the argument or anything, but those defending Lewis so passionately should be aware that there are people not emotionally involved with what happens to the Bengals who also think Lewis is a mediocre coach who has done OK-but-nothing-special this season.
I, like many other fans who defend Marvin, never claim he is an elite coach. I merely point out that he is in the top half in the league just like Rosenthal says in this article. So I would cite this article to anyone who claims Marvin is "clueless" and among the worst coaches in the league.

However anyone who claims that Schiano did a better job with Tampa Bay than Marvin did with the Bengals is a joke. The Bucs broke the bank with the biggest free agent signings this offseason and they have folded like a sad sack of crap.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16832

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlotharw View Post
With the departure of Chad and TO the collective Bengal ship rose. It is no surprise that both of them are out of football.

Don't be confused. Yes, Chad and TO are no longer in football. Their increasing age and decreasing talent caught up with them. But you don't replace Chad and TO with Caldwell and Simpson.

Based on Chad and TO lack of productive playing time in 2011, I don't believe we should have signed Chad or TO in 2012.

The Bengals won in 2011 in spite of Caldwell and Simpson. The only reason why they are in football today is because of their POTENTIAL. NOT because of what they did in 2011.

If we were to get rid of Chad and TO, we should have replaced them with better WR's then Caldwell and Simpson.

It is very simple logic. If in 2010 Chad and TO >> Caldwell and Simpson and you get rid of Chad and TO in 2011 then replace them with better WR's.

We did that half way, by getting AJ but two years later we still are searching for a compliment for AJ. Look at some of the threads, it is about getting another WR, it is certainly NOT about we should have kept Caldwell or Simpson.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19899

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
Don't be confused. Yes, Chad and TO are no longer in football. Their increasing age and decreasing talent caught up with them. But you don't replace Chad and TO with Caldwell and Simpson.

Based on Chad and TO lack of productive playing time in 2011, I don't believe we should have signed Chad or TO in 2012.

The Bengals won in 2011 in spite of Caldwell and Simpson. The only reason why they are in football today is because of their POTENTIAL. NOT because of what they did in 2011.

If we were to get rid of Chad and TO, we should have replaced them with better WR's then Caldwell and Simpson.

It is very simple logic. If in 2010 Chad and TO >> Caldwell and Simpson and you get rid of Chad and TO in 2011 then replace them with better WR's.

We did that half way, by getting AJ but two years later we still are searching for a compliment for AJ. Look at some of the threads, it is about getting another WR, it is certainly NOT about we should have kept Caldwell or Simpson.
Oh I believe the search is over. Jones needs reps and Sanu needs to be healthy.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 5905

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Oh I believe the search is over. Jones needs reps and Sanu needs to be healthy.

Based on what?

Neither of them has had enough snaps to prove they are the hands down #2 we need,,both have shown some flashes that they "could" be.

Or did you forget how many times jerome simpson showed those flashes and look how that turned out.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
I, like many other fans who defend Marvin, never claim he is an elite coach. I merely point out that he is in the top half in the league just like Rosenthal says in this article. So I would cite this article to anyone who claims Marvin is "clueless" and among the worst coaches in the league.

However anyone who claims that Schiano did a better job with Tampa Bay than Marvin did with the Bengals is a joke. The Bucs broke the bank with the biggest free agent signings this offseason and they have folded like a sad sack of crap.

The man stinks up the field with ingame decisions end of story, the proof is in the last 10 seasons and you cant defend it.

Fred if your a football owner and you hire me to change your team and get them to the big dance, would you continue to employ me after not winning your organization not one playoff game in 10 years and continually making questionable at best if not flat out bonehead decisions almost every game? Yes or no.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabo614 View Post
Based on what?

Neither of them has had enough snaps to prove they are the hands down #2 we need,,both have shown some flashes that they "could" be.

Or did you forget how many times jerome simpson showed those flashes and look how that turned out.
This coming from Geathers is overpaid because he is only solid but re-sign Justin Smith to an even bigger paycheck when he as well was just solid.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1057

Quote:
This coming from Geathers is overpaid because he is only solid but re-sign Justin Smith to an even bigger paycheck when he as well was just solid.

Irrelevant to the topic at hand. Terrible argument.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 822

Can someone explain to me why Gruden is being looked at for HC jobs? I heard on the pre-game that Philly is very interested in him.

Idc if he does go, I am not a fan. I think his offensive coordinating needs some serious help. The offense is anemic and not producing the way they could be producing under his leadership. We have flashes here and there of a great offense, but flashes does not a championship team make. We need some consistency, aggressiveness and intensity on offense, period.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5062

You know, the Ravens Offense at the end of the first half managed the clock as well as I've ever seen. They gave themselves a shot to get a field goal. Didn't happen, but that is the sort of clock management I want for our team.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

Geathers is not solid,,,seriously just stfu,,,

and i suppose you think peko is a pro bowler too.

if you ran this team it would be like having mike browns twin.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by finso View Post
Marvin Lewris did his best to lose that game. The guy is a complete idiot and has no idea what it takes to manage a football game.
Some say he was being aggressive. Was he? What happened at the end of the half?
This team will never contend with him running the ship.
Like i said earlier in the room, this team is loaded with talent and could be a Super Bowl contender for years to come with a new HC.
When it's all said and done this season the groupies will come back down to reality and wonder once again why this clown is still the HC.
10-6 is contending. 3 years out of 4 in playoffs is contending.. Who Dey
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrobo9 View Post
17-31
14-24
10-31

The Marvin Lewis Bengals have gotten utterly dominated the previous 3 times they have reached the playoffs. One and done in embarrassing fashion isn't contending.

Next week is his chance to prove people wrong.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrobo9 View Post
Obviously you've been nothing but a wingman your entire life. quit being such a pushover and step-up to the Hot one, one time.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 46672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabo614 View Post
The man stinks up the field with ingame decisions end of story, the proof is in the last 10 seasons and you cant defend it.

Fred if your a football owner and you hire me to change your team and get them to the big dance, would you continue to employ me after not winning your organization not one playoff game in 10 years and continually making questionable at best if not flat out bonehead decisions almost every game? Yes or no.
Marvin does not make questionable and/or bonehead decisions every game. That is just your opinion.

very few coaches get fired after three playoff appearances in 4 years. Especially if that is the best stretch in team history.