Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645
Default Re: Why does so many want a WR drafted early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Any shot at Welker?
I hope so. The Pats don't seem to want to extend him long-term. He would add a whole new dimension to this offense as a slot/flex #2 receiver.

Jennings and/or Welker are at the top of my list for possible FA acquisitions.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3786

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
I hope so. The Pats don't seem to want to extend him long-term. He would add a whole new dimension to this offense as a slot/flex #2 receiver.

Jennings and/or Welker are at the top of my list for possible FA acquisitions.
I like Connor Vernon from Duke around the 4th round. 6'1 200 (4.5ish) He plays all over the field too.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/conner-vernon
http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/...716/index.html

55 Catches 2009 as a Freshman
73 Catches 2010 as a Sophomore
70 Catches 2011 as a Junior
85 Catches 2012 as a Senior

PS. Remember that College only has 12 regular season games so 70 to 80 catches is awesome for a receiver.

Last edited by Synric; 12-30-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3109

I'm one of the very few that likes Jones better than Sanu.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4224

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamla View Post
I'm one of the very few that likes Jones better than Sanu.
I like em both. I think they are two different types. Perfect compliments to make up a 3 WR set with AJ. Big bodied crafty slot WR sanu. Athletic burner who can stretch the field Jones.

Between AJ, Jones, Sanu, Hawkins, and Whalen I think our WR corps is in good hands. Finding a guy with upside to replace Tate would be a boost but it is far far away from being a first round need.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9933

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Improve the oline? Really.

Andre Smith - 1st round pick
Zeitler - 1st round pick
Whitworth - 2nd round pick
Boling - 4th round pick
Cook/Robinson - UDFA

So, you feel that to improve the offense that the Bengals NEED three first rounders and a second rounder on the oline?

Very, very few teams in the NFL have 3 1st round players on the oline.

Our WR2 corp STINKS! Tate, Binns (now cut), & Marvin Jones (raw).
It couldn't hurt. Missed blocks and sacks immediately after the ball is snapped are attributed to two things.

Lack of respect for the running game and gaps in your O-line.

They kind of go hand in hand though.

You can have Chris Johnson back there and he won't do squat if he's met in the backfield.

A lot of people on here tend to blame it on Dalton and the WRs. Does he take coverage sacks? Yes he does. However, some games you can just tell our O-line's cohesiveness is lacking.

I just wish we would have drafted Konz this year with Zeitler instead of two D linemen who are usually inactive.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29560

Quote:

Zeitler - 1st round pick
Boling - 4th round pick
Cook/Robinson - UDFA

So, you feel that to improve the offense that the Bengals NEED three first rounders and a second rounder on the oline?

A rookie WR is raw? Say it isn't so!!

And he's getting better all the time.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
[/b]

A rookie WR is raw? Say it isn't so!!

And he's getting better all the time.

The same could be said of Robinson, or of Zeitler, or of Boling.

I love the idea of getting another great olinemen, but wts, there are greater priorities on the offensive side of the ball which will indirectly help alleviate the pass rush e.g. a WR2 that forces teams to go into cover 2, a RB with speed that can run outside the tackles, etc.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2439

I don't think we need O-Line early unless Andre Smith is not re-signed. The current group is solid and hopefully Robinson is given a fair chance to overtake Cook for Center because he deserves to be the starter right now and into the future based on his play this season before they handed the job back to Cook. I would really love to see Giovani Bernard on this team next season even it means using our mid to late first rounder on the guy. Going into the draft last year I really thought we would get Doug Martin or David Wilson in the 2nd round and both guys were drafted in the 1st. A really good RB would really open up the pass game in my opinion. OLB, DE, RB, and Safety are positions that I could see being improved through the draft with our first three or four picks in whatever order BPA is.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
I don't think we need O-Line early unless Andre Smith is not re-signed. The current group is solid and hopefully Robinson is given a fair chance to overtake Cook for Center because he deserves to be the starter right now and into the future based on his play this season before they handed the job back to Cook. I would really love to see Giovani Bernard on this team next season even it means using our mid to late first rounder on the guy. Going into the draft last year I really thought we would get Doug Martin or David Wilson in the 2nd round and both guys were drafted in the 1st. A really good RB would really open up the pass game in my opinion. OLB, DE, RB, and Safety are positions that I could see being improved through the draft with our first three or four picks in whatever order BPA is.
I don't even like considering that Andre is not resigned. Seriously, if they don't resign him I'll be beyond ****** off. Assuming he comes back, the o-line is in very good shape. Zeitler, Boling and Robinson (if they play him) are all already good and ascending. Smith is IMO one of the best RT in the game and Whit is Whit.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2439

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
I don't even like considering that Andre is not resigned. Seriously, if they don't resign him I'll be beyond ****** off. Assuming he comes back, the o-line is in very good shape. Zeitler, Boling and Robinson (if they play him) are all already good and ascending. Smith is IMO one of the best RT in the game and Whit is Whit.
I agree but it is the type of move that we have all seen the Bengals do for years. Smith is finally playing up to his draft status but will they pay him what he wants? I worry about the same thing with Michael Johnson. His 11 sacks and his size and age will be attractive to a lot of teams that will pay him. We need to sign both and should sign both but will we. Hopefully we use the franchise tag if we need to as well on someone other than a kicker.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
The same could be said of Robinson, or of Zeitler, or of Boling.

I love the idea of getting another great olinemen, but wts, there are greater priorities on the offensive side of the ball which will indirectly help alleviate the pass rush e.g. a WR2 that forces teams to go into cover 2, a RB with speed that can run outside the tackles, etc.
The transition is usually a lot easier for an O-lineman than a WR.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1340

Quote:

Zeitler - 1st round pick
Boling - 4th round pick
Cook/Robinson - UDFA

The point is to make the Oline appreciably better. What's wrong with having an elite O-Line? The center and G positions are ripe for upgrade. Zeitler is a keeper. Boling is a swing guy better suited for spot duty. Cook and Robinson are backups. Wharton is coming off a major injury. If a guy like Barrett Jones is there, he's worthy of the selection, just as if a guy like Dion Jordan still is available. Make a team strength even stronger. And the bust rate on 1st round WR's is higher than most positions. At best, that WR is a 3rd/4th WR on the team. A guy like Jones ends up starting. Robinson is too small to hold up at the point of attack against the VERY large DT's the Bengals face in-division.

Last edited by t3r3e3; 12-31-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1131

Because Sanu had 1-2 decent games, the rest of the season when he was on the field he was a #3 reciever. He has good size but lacks speed, hawkins has good speed but lacks size, Jones is more of a happy medium but lacks the physicality and abilility of a true #2. Deff a need in the draft.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NkyDiesel View Post
Because Sanu had 1-2 decent games, the rest of the season when he was on the field he was a #3 reciever. He has good size but lacks speed, hawkins has good speed but lacks size, Jones is more of a happy medium but lacks the physicality and abilility of a true #2. Deff a need in the draft.
Huh? Good size, good speed, and according to several on the team he is a great blocking WR. All he lacks is experience.

He ran a 4.46 40 and did 22 reps.

Last edited by Jasonew6; 01-01-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Huh? Good size, good speed, and according to several on the team he is a great blocking WR. All he lacks is experience.

Which is why we need a solid veteran to bridge that gap. Relying on a late round pick to step up his rookie year isn't something most good teams do.

Point blank; going into this season with 2 rookies(3rd and 5th rounder), a former PS all-star, and a guy who's done almost nothing as a receiver in his short NFL career wasn't a good idea. At all.

In fact...how many teams in this league have exactly zero receivers on their roster that are past their 1st contract?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:

Drafting a WR is what is needed. Most of your really good teams have alot of options and we don't have that. Teams like the Saints or Packers for example have3 or 4 guys(WR's) who can beat ya at anytime. We don't have that, not even close.

That's why in my latest mock I had us taking Terrence Williams in the 1st and then Stedman Bailey in the 3rd(to replace baby hawk). 2 stud wr's would help us a TON along with drafting someone like Barner.

Some of you guys say well that will hurt sanu/jones as far as development goes. When you have a chance to upgrade your team you do it.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8286

I'm all value at position of need and bpa at position of need.
Personally I would rather the team sign a vet wr from fa...aka Domenik Hixon or something akin.
To many rookie/still in diapers wr's on this roster already. I'm all for adding another wr but not at the top of the draft.
This is a good year to grab a vet wr from fa.
Maybe T.King in the later rounds.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Which is why we need a solid veteran to bridge that gap. Relying on a late round pick to step up his rookie year isn't something most good teams do.

Point blank; going into this season with 2 rookies(3rd and 5th rounder), a former PS all-star, and a guy who's done almost nothing as a receiver in his short NFL career wasn't a good idea. At all.

In fact...how many teams in this league have exactly zero receivers on their roster that are past their 1st contract?
He won't be a rookie next year.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Drafting a WR is what is needed. Most of your really good teams have alot of options and we don't have that. Teams like the Saints or Packers for example have3 or 4 guys(WR's) who can beat ya at anytime. We don't have that, not even close.

That's why in my latest mock I had us taking Terrence Williams in the 1st and then Stedman Bailey in the 3rd(to replace baby hawk). 2 stud wr's would help us a TON along with drafting someone like Barner.

Some of you guys say well that will hurt sanu/jones as far as development goes. When you have a chance to upgrade your team you do it.
Don't get me wrong, I won't object to a WR at any point if he is BPA, but we do have several good options.

Green
Hawkins
Sanu
Jones

Sanu was playing VERY well before he got hurt. Marvin is playing well now. Hawkins has been solid, and AJ is the best.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I'm all value at position of need and bpa at position of need.
Personally I would rather the team sign a vet wr from fa...aka Domenik Hixon or something akin.
To many rookie/still in diapers wr's on this roster already. I'm all for adding another wr but not at the top of the draft.
This is a good year to grab a vet wr from fa.
Maybe T.King in the later rounds.
Hixon has been injury prone his whole career....no thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1359

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhodey77 View Post
Nope, WR is the biggest need followed by S, RB, OLB. We need one more big time playmaker to line up opposite AJ and work Hawk, Sanu, Jones into the remaining slot/4th spot next year

There are 1st rd draft picks all over the place that take time to catch on. Jenkins, who alot of guys wanted last year with the 49ers as an example. I don't know if he's had any catches this entire year. We have Jones and Sanu and if we pick up another in rd 4-5 area I'll be fine with that. Both Jones and Sanu give us reason to be happy this year. They will be much better next season. A quality Safety on this team would be huge. A quality "quick" RB would be huge and an im pact OLB would be huge. All are needs before we pursue any WRs.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24226

Quote:
Not anymore. The rules for WR are so relaxed and it is so tough on DBs now I would say a rookie WR should have very little trouble with the transition now.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I won't object to a WR at any point if he is BPA, but we do have several good options.

Green
Hawkins
Sanu
Jones

Sanu was playing VERY well before he got hurt. Marvin is playing well now. Hawkins has been solid, and AJ is the best.
Sanu is never gonna be anything more than a slot guy(which is not a bad thing). Hawkins is ok but S Bailey is clearly an upgrade over him. Jones is just OK for now.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
You're absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Not anymore. The rules for WR are so relaxed and it is so tough on DBs now I would say a rookie WR should have very little trouble with the transition now.
The new rules have helped the wr's some but it's not even close when comparing what a rookie wr needs to learn compared to a rookie o-lineman.
It's not even close. Way tougher for a young wr in the NFL than it is for a rookie o-lineman.
First and foremost young o-lineman are usually surrounded by vets on one side or the other which allows them to ask the vet lineman who they need to block if they don't already know.
Wr's are all on their own out there just like corners. The new rules have helped but vet cb's still own rookie wr's nearly every Sunday.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 01-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post

Glad that you will have no say in who the team drafts. To many young-uns at the wr position already. Need some experience at the position. Sign a vet fa wr and draft one after the third. If they do that the position of wr should be set for a few years. Sanu has way more talent than you would like to give him credit for and Jones is starting to come on.
Ask Detroit about wasting all of their early draft pick on wr's. How did that work out for them?....yeah ok lets follow their mold.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 01-01-2013 at 04:32 PM.