Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:54 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1866
Default Jordan Shipley sighting

Led Jacksonville in receiving on Sunday. Had 5 receptions for 82 yards against the Patriots. It's a shame that he couldn't stay healthy here in Cincinnati. I wish nothing but the best for Shipley. Chad Henne threw for close to 350 yards so I think we can do some damage against the patriots secondary if we get that matchup
Old 12-28-2012, 02:00 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10038
Default Re: Jordan Shipley sighting

He is right around the 40 yards per game average this season.... that's the same as his 2010 average..... hmmm average..... average....

I think that sums up Shipley..

I like the guy as a player and all but come on..... let it go.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 431

His knee injury is the only thing that plagued him in Cincinnati. He has been a stud at every level of football, well every player has but I just don't see him becoming a dominant receiver in this league. I will forever be that #4 receiver no matter where he goes.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:04 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7447

There was nothing spectacular about Jordan Shipley, he made some tough catches, and then failed to show up when he was needed. Average WR thats all he was.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2533

OP's just saying "good luck" to the guy, right? Not "I want him back here."

I'm glad he's catching on again for another team. He may be "average", but unfortunate circumstances derailed his career for a bit. Hard worker. Good for him.

I will add that leading Jax in anything isn't exactly steller
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7447

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
OP's just saying "good luck" to the guy, right? Not "I want him back here."

I'm glad he's catching on again for another team. He may be "average", but unfortunate circumstances derailed his career for a bit. Hard worker. Good for him.

I will add that leading Jax in anything isn't exactly steller
People talk about him as if he were a pro bowler.. Ive wished him luck over and over again, but the fact remains is that Shipley has been on 3 different teams since Cincy. Get over it and move on.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7773

Shipley had a nice game in a losing effort to New England. But we need someone who is going to step up and beat the Patriots.

Wish the kid well though. No hard feelings.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

i wouldnt fret too much about jordan considering we will be able to draft his brother this year or next lol.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 35462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
He is right around the 40 yards per game average this season.... that's the same as his 2010 average..... hmmm average..... average....

Better as a rookie than any WR we have not named AJ. Just accept that, just accept it.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
People talk about him as if he were a pro bowler.. Ive wished him luck over and over again, but the fact remains is that Shipley has been on 3 different teams since Cincy. Get over it and move on.
He was a popular player that ppl would like to see do well. What's so wrong with that. Show me someone saying he was a "pro bowler".

He was more proven when healthy than any other receiver on this roster other than AJ. That will always be a fact. Other WRs we have may prove to be better, they may not, remains to be seen. But if guys like Whalen and Jones continue to do virtually nothing and Shipley ends up working his way back to form, some ppl, like me, are going to point out that the team made the wrong decision in not keeping him in the fold.

We just signed Sanzenbacher for goodness sakes, who I like actually. We released Binns, who in 5 starts in stripes barely surpassed Shipley's output having just one start for Jax. Jones in three starts has produced less, Sanu in four starts produced less. Whalen is usually inactive......Those are the guys we kept instead of giving Ship more time to heal. I understand there were concerns with his injury history, but like I said at the time, are we going to get so much from our 6th WR that Ship ain't worth giving more time??

The team made it's decision, okay, it doesn't mean it won't turn out to be the wrong one. And just becuz one acknowledges that does not mean they are saying the dude was a "pro bowler". It's an honest and reasonable observation, nothing more.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post

i think it is funny that you can judge shipley as average off 1 season, but yet we have to give andy dalton 3 years or more to determine wether he is average or elite. double standard? I think so.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2485

Another solid day for Ship........7 catches 51 yds and a TD. I don't think I have ever seen someone say that he was Number 1 WR material. But he was a favorite for me, so yes I will follow his career and hope he does well.

And yes, I do believe Shipley is better than Whalen, Tate, and Binns/(now Sanzenbacher) but I also understand why he was let go and do not feel bitter about it. I also think next year with Sanu and Jones, they would be ahead of Ship on the depth chart, It is just going to be painful next year if he stays healthy and has a great year.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8122

I had a Binns sighting today, don't even remember what team it was; he was just dropping critical passes when they showed him.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post
Another solid day for Ship........7 catches 51 yds and a TD. I don't think I have ever seen someone say that he was Number 1 WR material. But he was a favorite for me, so yes I will follow his career and hope he does well.

And yes, I do believe Shipley is better than Whalen, Tate, and Binns/(now Sanzenbacher) but I also understand why he was let go and do not feel bitter about it. I also think next year with Sanu and Jones, they would be ahead of Ship on the depth chart, It is just going to be painful next year if he stays healthy and has a great year.
Yea, I think the Bengals placed their chips on the idea that he's injury prone. If he manages to churn out even a couple seasons at his top form, we will probably regret letting him go. That was my whole problem with letting him go to begin with.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Sharp View Post
I had a Binns sighting today, don't even remember what team it was; he was just dropping critical passes when they showed him.
It was the dolphins and and he had 2 good catches and there is no such thing as a critical catch when you're down by 21 and the qb throws a pass across the middle leading you into a waiting LB.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27504

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
Led Jacksonville in receiving on Sunday. Had 5 receptions for 82 yards against the Patriots. It's a shame that he couldn't stay healthy here in Cincinnati. I wish nothing but the best for Shipley. Chad Henne threw for close to 350 yards so I think we can do some damage against the patriots secondary if we get that matchup
If we get the Patriots it will be the AFCCG

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 27504

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagehenry54 View Post
Yea, I think the Bengals placed their chips on the idea that he's injury prone. If he manages to churn out even a couple seasons at his top form, we will probably regret letting him go. That was my whole problem with letting him go to begin with.
Yeah but with out receiving core this year I just dont know if we had the luxury to wait on him. but hed be nice to have now..

Really it was Shipley or Hawkins... we chose Hawkins.

FOOTBALL... The New Age Gladiator Games...
Tiger Squrriel Is Hungry
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night's Watch View Post

Read his comments.

He's bitter.

And Whalen is a clone of him.

Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Yeah but with out receiving core this year I just dont know if we had the luxury to wait on him. but hed be nice to have now..

Really it was Shipley or Hawkins... we chose Hawkins.
Hawkins has actually produced more than Ship, of course he's been healthy all year and Ship only got two starts.

Thing is, at season's end, after Ship finally got healthy, he went out and in basically two games was more productive than all these other receivers who supposedly were "just too good" to let go and give Ship more time to heal. Everyone knows our one good receiver is AJ and ppl complain about it too but when the subject of Shipley comes up, I'm still hearing this "well these other receivers were too good to let go".....Lulz, how so, when Shipley managed to have better year than all but two of them even though he only played a handful of games.

Compare the numbers, it's right there. Basically, if Shipley doesn't come up lame again sometime in the near future then Jones and Whalen are gonna have to vastly improve their output for me to believe we didn't make a mistake. Binns stunk on ice and already got released.....Right now, it's looking like the Bengals will end up regretting their decision, in fact, right now, I already do. It would have been nice to have Shipley around and rounding back into form down the stretch here with Sanu hurt and Jones and Whalen not really doing anything.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5132

Dang, I still hate that we made the decision to let him go. I think he should've been put on the PUP and allowed to heal up. I understand that he wanted to play, I just think he tried to come back too quick and lost his PUP status and then the Bengals had to make a decision, IR or cut.

I don't fault Shipley for any of this, however, I do fault the people that are in charge for their mismanagement of him. At the time, only AJ had any experience worthy of noting besides Shipley. Everyone else was a ? at the WR position. Now if we had cut him to bring in a Veteran, then that's one thing, but we didn't and we cut the guy that could've helped us by being a solid, reliable and experienced #2-3.

Accept it, no one would've missed Whalen and his 7 catches for 53 yards over the course of 4 games. Most of the time he's inactive. In fact, that's one games' worth of stats for Shipley. 7-51 and a TD.

I do believe that a combo of Hawkins and Shipley would've been a great tag team combo for the slot as it is a very tough position (injury wise) and in the event that one goes down, you still got a guy that can fill the void. Seriously, isn't this what quality depth is all about?