Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 280
Default If Jay Gruden and or Mike Zimmer Leave

It's been a great year to be a Bengals fan, back to back winning seasons for the first time since the mid-70s and back to back playoff births for the first time sine the early 80s.

With such success on the football field combined with all of the expected firings to come on black Monday tomorrow around the NFL, there are bound to be some openings for some top-notch coordinators. Both Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer have proven themselves to be more than capable and talented coordinators and one if not both will assuredly get looks as head coaches somewhere. My question is if they leave who are you in favor of bringing in as new coordinators? Would you rather promote from within or go after bigger names?

Offensive Coordinator:

If Gruden leaves, one would have to figure that former Bengals WR Coach, Falcon OC, Raven QB Coach, Raider OC and then HC, Hue Jackson who is currently coaching the secondary would obviously be the first man up. But if not Hue then who?

The Biggest Names:
  • Ken Whisenhunt - soon to be former Arizona Cardinals HC, and former Pittsburg Steelers OC.
  • Mike Mularkey - might be fired by Jaguars after only one year as HC. Another former Pittsburg OC, also served as HC of the Bills and OC of the Dolphins and Falcons.
  • Pat Shurmar - soon to be former Cleveland Browns HC, also former Rams OC.
  • Norv Turner - soon to be former San Diego Chargers HC, proven in the past that after failed HC stints he's taken work as a coordinator. He is the Wade Phillips of offensive coordinators. As in he's always been better as a coordinator than HC.
  • Mike Tice - If Lovie is fired, Tice could be looking for work. A former Viking HC.
  • Brad Childress - If Shurmur is fired, Childress could be looking for work. Also a former Viking HC... and the whole lobbying for the Badger job didn't work out.
  • Jim Fassel - Currently the HC of the Las Vegas Locos. The Bengals got their last OC (Gruden) from the UFL HC ranks, so why not hit up the well again. Fassel would bring offensive as well as Super Bowl experience.
  • Tony Sparano - soon to be former New York Jets OC, also former Dolphins HC. He had a horrible year directing the Jets offense, but he's proven himself in the past.
  • Marty Mornhinweg - maybe he'll join Andy Reid in San Diego. The Eagles had a tough year, but Marty is a former HC and good coordinator.
  • Scott Linehan - you have to figure the Lions will give Schwartz another year. If not Linehan, the former Rams HC, is a good OC.
  • Cam Cameron - Do you really want the guy your division rival just fired? Still, Cameron is a talented OC with former HC experience (Miami Dolphins).

Not as Big of Names:
  • Curtis Modkins - currently the Buffalo Bills OC. If Chan Galey gets the ax Modkins could be looking for work. He's actually produced decent production from the offensive talent in Buffalo.
  • Greg Knapp - currently the Oakland Raiders OC. If Dennis Allen gets the ax, Knapp could be looking for work. He's never been a head coach, but he's a respected OC in the NFL and has 17 years experience.
  • Bart Andrus - Currently the HC of the Oma Nighthawks. Once again taking a look at a UFL guy. Andrus has never been an NFL OC, but he's been an NFL Europe HC, Canadian League HC, and now a UFL HC. He was, however, Steve McNair's QB coach during the Titans Super Bowl run and dominate years.
  • Brian Daboll - soon to be former Chiefs OC. I'm not suggesting I want the Bengals offense to look anything like the Chiefs did this past season but Daboll's a fiery passionate (might want to watch chest-bumpping Andre Smith or Big Whit) guy who coaches with his heart on his sleeve, and let's face it had little to no talent to work with in Kansas City this past year. He's formerly been an OC for the Browns and Dolphins.
  • Rob Chudzinski - If Ron Rivera is fired in Carolina he might need work. He's not a horrible coordinator. He's done some nice things with Cam Newton the last few years. He like Daboll is a former Browns coordinator. He also was the OC for the great Miami Hurricane teams in college football during the start of the decade (01-03)
  • Clyde Christensen - Former Colts OC who served as their QB this year in Andrew Luck's first year

Dark Horse Candidates Deserving of a Shot:
  • Joe Lombardi - He's currently in his fourth year as the Saints QB coach. Tell me why this kid with this football sounding name hasn't been considered for an OC spot somewhere already?
  • Edgar Bennett - He's a long time Packers assistant, who's been heading up their outstanding receiver group the last two years, he has over 18 years NFL experience as a player and coach.
  • Ben McAdoo - Another Cheese Head assistant. Former Green Bay Tight Ends coach who spent this past season as the teams QB coach.
  • Ken Zampese - Other than Hue Jackson, Zampese would make another logical promote from within move. Although they refused to go that route when Bratkowski left.
  • Todd Downing - 3rd year as Matthew Stafford's QB coach in Detroit. Enough said.
  • Jeff Davidson - He's currently the Vikings OL coach, and has done wonders with the unit in front of AP.
  • Terry Malone - He's the tight ends coach with the Saints. A la Jimmy Graham please. He's been an OC before, all be it in the college ranks, but for some very good Michigan teams.
  • John Garrett - What if the lesser known Gruden were succeeded by the lesser known Garrett. If would be a homecoming of sorts, Garrett played TE for the Bengals in '89, and was a former Bengal coach. Served as Cincy's WR coach in the mid-90s (Carl Pickens and Darnay Scott anyone?). His second stint with the Bengals came from 01 - 02 when he coached tight ends. He's currently Jason Witten's group coach in Dallas.
  • Terry Robiskie - An oldie but a goodie. Robiskie's been a coach in the NFL since 1982. He's served two stints as an OC with the Raiders and Browns and is currently the Flacons WR coach.

Defensive Coordinator:

Mike Zimmer's defense was awesome this year! The D-Line had a franchise record 51 sacks second to just St. Louis and Denver who each had 52. Zimmer interviewed for head jobs last year, and you have to figure someone will likely pull the trigger this season. So if not Zim then who?

Again there's always the promote from within mentality. Paul Guenther did a terrific job with the linebackers and some if not a lot of the D-Line credit has to go to Paul Hayes. You would also have to think Mike Carrier would be considered for the wonders he worked with the gerontology club in the secondary. But if the team looks outside the organization who might they go with.

The Biggest Names:
  • Lovie Smith - he might be the former Bears HC by the end of tomorrow and that's a shame. If he's available and Zim, leaves I say show me the Lovie!
  • Rod Marinelli - He was Smith's DC in Chi-town this past season. He's a good coordinator with former HC experience.
  • Romeo Crennel - Will be former Chiefs coach by the time anyone actually reads this. Another guy better suited to be a coordinator. If he'd insist on Cincy playing the 3-4, I'm not sure I'd want him. Especially with how good Zim's 4-3 played this year.
  • Dennis Allen - Currently HC of the Raiders. Young and a good coach. If the Raiders don't give him a second year it'll be a mistake, although he may have not been ready for a head job. Would love to see him in Cincy if Zim leaves.
  • Ron Rivera - He's currently the head man in Carolina. Another guy who "might" get the boot. If it happens same story as Lovie and Allen, wouldn't mind him if Zim leaves.
  • Rex and or Rob Ryan - The Ryan twins might be looking for work this upcoming offseason. Rex is (but doesn't want to be) the HC of the Jets and Rob's been in Big-D, which for Dallas fans has stood for - big disappointment. I honestly don't want their loud mouths anywhere near the Queen City.
  • Dave Wannstedt - If Gailey gets the boot, old Dave, currently the Bills DC, could be looking for work. I didn't like the Bills D at all this year, but I've always liked Wannstedt.
  • **** Jauron - soon to be former DC of the Browns. He's been a DC three times and a HC twice (Chicago and Buffalo). The Bengals could do worse if they replace Zim with him.
  • Raheem Morris - currently Redskins DBs coach. Morris is the former HC of the Bucs and his Redskin DBs tied for third in INTs. He's never been a coordinator however.
  • Mike Singletary - currently Vikings OLB coach. Former LB coach, and HC, like Morris, he's never been a coordinator.

Not as Big of Names
  • Bob Babich - currently Bears LB coach, and their former DC.
  • John Pagano - soon to be former Chargers DC. Not a bad coordinator. Might not be as talented of a coach as his brother Chuck.
  • Todd Bowles - soon to be former Eagles DC. Bowles is a very talented coach despite the Eagle ineptness this season. He's interviewed for head jobs in the past.
  • Mike Pettine - may be the the former Jets DC very soon. Until this season the Jets boasted one of the top defenses in the league under Pettine. Of course that was with Revis Island on the field.
  • Ray Horton - soon to be the former DC of the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals defense wasn't bad, they just didn't have anyone who could throw the ball. In fact Horton may interview for HC jobs. Would be a great homecoming if the former Bengals DB returned to Cincy.
  • Mel Tucker - might soon be the former DC of the Jacksonville Jaguars. If that happens I bet he wishes he would of taken the Wisconsin job. Still, Tucker is a very talented coach, and if Zim leaves, I'd be happy with a Tucker hire.
  • Jason Tarver - the perhaps soon to be former DC of the Raiders. The Raiders D was not good this year, so I wouldn't be a fan of this move. Still at 38 Tarver has an impressive resume for a young coach having been a DC at both Stanford and Oakland.

Dark Horse Candidates Deserving of a Shot:
  • Jay Rodgers - currently Broncos DL coach. He's a little young but has done a great job in his first year of being a DL coach. Probably a few years away from coordinator status.
  • Bill Kollar - another former Bengal possible homecoming storyline. Kollar may be too far up in years (60) to get his first crack at a DC job, if he even wants it. Right now, however, he is the assistant HC and DL coach of the Texans.With the way that unit has played,who knows, maybe this guy gets a crack at his first HC job.
  • Reggie Herring - sticking with the Texans flavor (why not the D has been good this year) Herring is currently the Texans LB coach. He has served as a DC before at the college level at both N.C. State and Arkansas.
  • Fred Pagac - this is a real oldie but goodie. Pagac was an Ohio State asst. for nearly 22 years. He served as the Buckeyes DC for a 3-year stint in the late 90s. Most recently he has served as the Vikings LB coach.
  • Peter Guinta - currently a Secondary coach for the Giants, Guinta was the DC for the Super Bowl winning Rams in 1999. His Giant's DBs were tied for third in the league with 21 interceptions.
  • Ken Norton Jr. - currently Seattle Seahawks linebacker coach. Was a star LB as a player and coaches them up the same way.
  • Kris Richard - currently Seattle Seahawks DBs coach. Have you seen Seattle's defense? you can't speculate enough how many of their asst. might end up as coordinators someday.
  • Ed Donatell - currently 49er DBs coach. Former DC for the Atlanta Falcons and Washingotn Huskies.
  • Jim Leavitt - currently 49ers LBs coach. Former HC of USF Bulls (built program up from nothing.)
  • Richard Smith - currently Broncos linebacker's coach. He's served as a DC in both Houston (06 - 08) and Miami (05) in the past.
  • Lance Guidry - formerly DC of WKU, he will likely join Willie Taggert at USF, but I just love this guy's passion. I know this guy is a long shot by far, he's a college coach.

In any case I know this is an incredibly long post exploring potential options should the Bengals have to search for a new defensive and offensive coordinator, however, I just wanted to try to give a brief sample of who and what might be out there. My favorites from each list are as follows:

Offensive Coordinator:
  1. Ken Whisenhunt
  2. Joe Lombardi
  3. Mike Mularkey
  4. Jim Fassel
  5. Norv Turner

Defensive Coordinator:
  1. Lovie Smith
  2. Ray Horton
  3. Raheem Morris
  4. Jim Levitt
  5. **** Jauron

Would you like to see any of the afore mentioned guys in this post take over for Gruden/Zimmer should they move on to greener pastures? If so who? What's your list look like?

Last edited by Kevbo37; 02-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 977
Default Re: If Jay Gruden and or Mike Zimmer Leave

Hue will become the OC if Jay leaves. would be shocking if anything else happened.

On defense it was supposed to be Coyle. But now idk.... Not sure we have a guy on staff thats ready. I am sure we will have plenty of interested candidates.

For some reason I just think that we have a better chance at losing Gruden though. Which would be an easy transition to Hue.

Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3197

I really don't think Zimmer is leaving.

I think he may take a few interviews, but I doubt he accepts any position.
I would love to steal Singletary away tho, let him be our LB coach.

If Jay leaves, Hue will take his spot.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:48 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10396

I agree the most likely would be Hue for Gruden.

This would probably keep Alexander around unfortunately.

I personally don't know why any team would hire Jay for a HC job.

Yes I know the Bengals made two back to back playoff appearances. However they are ranked 22nd offense.

Still I feel his body of work is quite limited.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

If Zimmer is offered a HC job I'm pretty sure he'll take it. He clearly feels he's ready for it and is interested

"Yeah, I want the chance, but you hate to see guys get fired,"

"I don't want to sound like I am bragging, but I think I've been good at every coaching job I've had," Zimmer said. "I think I would be a good head coach too."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...-coaching-shot
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23180

Jay has been completely underwhelming as an OC, so if he got a better job, I'd love to see him hit the bricks.

Zimmer has put together a decent defense here, so prefer if he stayed, which he likely will as there are many better DC's out there who have been better, longer, and with much more consistency. Since that is the case, why would they sniff around Zimmer at all with better options on the table?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 1499

With the amount of loyalty that we saw Mike show Bratkowski, I really don't see him giving Jay his walking papers after just two seasons. However, I would love to see Norv Turner be handed the reigns here.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 550

Would Jay even leave? They just restructured his contract at the beginning of the season and he said he's staying until his kids graduate. I thought they have 1 more year of school still too?

Of course, if he leaves....Hopefully Hue will still be available.

If Zimmer leaves, I don't know who. Hopefully someone that has the same philosophy as Zim. We got lucky when we landed him. Hue Jackson recommended Zim to Lewis/Brown.

Who know's who would we have if Hue didn't help us out.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 2354

Actually on the pre-game show yesterday, they showed Jay Gruden as a coach that was going to get an offer on the off season..

They said nothing about Zimmer, which I am glad hughe fan of him!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2023

If Jon Gruden accepts the HC job at Philly, I think he will take his brother with him.

Do you think Mike Brown would go for swapping Lewis and Zimmer?

Let Zimmer HC and Marvin DC??

After all, Marvin holds the record for single season defensive stats with the 2000 Ravens!!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post
If Jon Gruden accepts the HC job at Philly, I think he will take his brother with him.

Do you think Mike Brown would go for swapping Lewis and Zimmer?

Let Zimmer HC and Marvin DC??

After all, Marvin holds the record for single season defensive stats with the 2000 Ravens!!

I don't think, lewis is set but please keep Zimmer
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 358

I'd hate to lose Zimmer. But Gruden could be replaced with Hue.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 150

Eagles top candidates are Jay Gruden, Jon Gruden and mike Zimmer. Dang.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitBengal View Post
Eagles top candidates are Jay Gruden, Jon Gruden and mike Zimmer. Dang.
joke or link?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Star View Post
joke or link?
Just saw Adam Schefter report it on ESPN. He said one other name but I don't remember who it was. I'll try to find a link for you.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

I bet if dallas fires their coach Zim gets the job... But we will see last year i thought he was gone but he was listed as too honest lol...

So Promote Marvin Promote Zimmer

Pick up one of these fired coaches like Rex Ryan for the DC
Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1538

I don't think Jay Gruden is ready for an HC job. He needs a little bit more and stronger work on his resume. I hope he knows that his work with Andy and AJ is not finished. I am also not sure that Mike brown would let him interview for a OC position with another team.

Zimmer will get interviews, but I think he likes it here, working with this particular group of players.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrianpine View Post
I don't think Jay Gruden is ready for an HC job. He needs a little bit more and stronger work on his resume. I hope he knows that his work with Andy and AJ is not finished. I am also not sure that Mike brown would let him interview for a OC position with another team.

Zimmer will get interviews, but I think he likes it here, working with this particular group of players.
a Team might look for jay to help break in a new rookie QB.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 3013

I've said it before, and as much as it pains me, unless they move ML to GM and make Zimmer HC here, Zim will be the head coach of the 2013 Dallas Cowboys. He was DC there before and still has a tight relationship with Jerry Jones. And he will not turn down the opportunity to be the HC of "America's Team" (puke). I really really want him to stay, but I don't see it happening. Especially after his defense lays waste to opponents in the playoffs....
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled21 View Post
I've said it before, and as much as it pains me, unless they move ML to GM and make Zimmer HC here, Zim will be the head coach of the 2013 Dallas Cowboys. He was DC there before and still has a tight relationship with Jerry Jones. And he will not turn down the opportunity to be the HC of "America's Team" (puke). I really really want him to stay, but I don't see it happening. Especially after his defense lays waste to opponents in the playoffs....
yeah thats my prediction as well unless they find someone else...

But look at the bright side. Marvin keeps making HC's (some more successfull than BB protegies.) Good Coordinators are going to want to come here
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9353

5 head coaches already canned. Odds of Zimmer leaving are pretty high. In my opinion there are better offensive coaches then Gruden.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Romel Cronnel Might get fired from the Cheifs... Cant remember if hes a 4-3 or 3-4 guy.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
5 head coaches already canned. Odds of Zimmer leaving are pretty high. In my opinion there are better offensive coaches then Gruden.
I think the love of gruden comes from his HC experience in the Arena and UFL league.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3877

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
5 head coaches already canned. Odds of Zimmer leaving are pretty high.
I hope you are wrong, but believe you are right.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo37 View Post
  • Rex and or Buddy Ryan - The Ryan twins might be looking for work this upcoming offseason. Rex is (but doesn't want to be) the HC of the Jets and Buddy's been in Big-D, which for Dallas fans has stood for - big disappointment. I honestly don't want their loud mouths anywhere near the Queen City.
  • Dave Wannstedt - If Gailey gets the boot, old Dave, currently the Bills DC, could be looking for work. I didn't like the Bills D at all this year, but I've always liked Wannstedt.
  • **** Jauron - soon to be former DC of the Browns. He's been a DC three times and a HC twice (Chicago and Buffalo). The Bengals could do worse if they replace Zim with him.
  • Raheem Morris - currently Redskins DBs coach. Morris is the former HC of the Bucs and his Redskin DBs tied for third in INTs. He's never been a coordinator however.
  • Mike Singletary - currently Vikings OLB coach. Former LB coach, and HC, like Morris, he's never been a coordinator.

Not as Big of Names
  • Bob Babich - currently Bears LB coach, and their former DC.
  • John Pagano - soon to be former Chargers DC. Not a bad coordinator. Might not be as talented of a coach as his brother Chuck.
  • Todd Bowles - soon to be former Eagles DC. Bowles is a very talented coach despite the Eagle ineptness this season. He's interviewed for head jobs in the past.
  • Mike Pettine - may be the the former Jets DC very soon. Until this season the Jets boasted one of the top defenses in the league under Pettine. Of course that was with Revis Island on the field.
  • Ray Horton - soon to be the former DC of the Arizona Cardinals. The Cardinals defense wasn't bad, they just didn't have anyone who could throw the ball. In fact Horton may interview for HC jobs. Would be a great homecoming if the former Bengals DB returned to Cincy.
  • Mel Tucker - might soon be the former DC of the Jacksonville Jaguars. If that happens I bet he wishes he would of taken the Wisconsin job. Still, Tucker is a very talented coach, and if Zim leaves, I'd be happy with a Tucker hire.
  • Jason Tarver - the perhaps soon to be former DC of the Raiders. The Raiders D was not good this year, so I wouldn't be a fan of this move. Still at 38 Tarver has an impressive resume for a young coach having been a DC at both Stanford and Oakland.
Buddy Ryan, LOL! I believe you meant Rob.