Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

View Poll Results: Can Burflict win starting job this Thursday?
Yes 25 53.19%
No 22 46.81%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 739
Default Re: Rey M. not at 100% should Burfict start in ATL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cupcakes View Post
Soooo.....2/3 of you guys actually think that Burfict will leapfrog Muckelroy, Skuta, and Maualuga in one game?

Not going to happen.
But they can dream, can't they??? Why you gotta be a dreamcrusher with logical reasoning
Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10436

Quote:
Soooo.....2/3 of you guys actually think that Burfict will leapfrog Muckelroy, Skuta, and Maualuga in one game?

Not going to happen.
No, but he has a decent shot to at least make PS, if not the 53
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24143

Quote:

Not going to happen.
I know, right? I love Burfict and I think he might have a future as a starter here (next year), but it's kinda silly to think he will start over Rey THIS season.

During those 8 seasons, we've had several starting RBs, different starters on the o-line, different TEs and FBs and 2 different RB coaches. Only our o-line coach remained the same.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20718

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan74 View Post
No, but he has a decent shot to at least make PS, if not the 53
I dont think anyone suggested otherwise.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2423

If he continues to play like he did in the first Preseason game he won't clear waivers, if he flops in the last 3 he might have a shot at it.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 23
bengals Re: Rey M. not at 100% should Burfict start in ATL?

Burfict is a beast.It was a early christmas present that we got him as a rookie free agent.Rey better get healthy and pick it up or hes in trouble!!!I think Burfict will continue to improve and he will be the starter.I think i read somewhere that Rey will be back for the Green Bay game if thats the case then he will definatley start in Atlanta.If not then he gets the job week 2-4.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12590

I think he should get some snaps with the 1st team, but not start. You need to keep him hungry.

There is little doubt that he will make the 53 man roster, he will probably be active on game days. I can forsee him being the primary back-up by the end of the season.

The Bengals prefer to not start people right out of the gate (some exceptions with 1st and 2nd rounders). Look at Geno, I thought he should have taken Tank's place by mid-season, but they waited until the next season.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5132

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaKain View Post
Jumping the gun a bit, aren't we? Apparently Hammerthis forgot that Burfict is still #3 on the depth chart. Muckelroy is going to get the start and play with the 2nd team and Burfict will play with the 2nd and 3rd teams.
Depth charts mean very little at this point in the NFL.
Only the obvious starters are set in stone at this point, everyone else is interchangeable.

Burfict and Muck should both get a chance to get some good reps in with the first team, while Rey is out.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

I really don't know what to say about the results of this poll. I thought for the longest time that we had some pretty knowledgable fans on here. How can ANYBODY think that Burfict will WIN the starting job with a good preseason start?

I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, he may win the job halfway through the season, but I can't see any scenario where he wins it Thursday night.

Maybe people were thinking the poll question meant would he win more playing time or would he eventually win the starting job. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to our board.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17776

Here's my complete take on it. He may be the best MLB that the Bengals have.....but maybe not. You have absolutely no clue what you're going to get out of the guy. SO....for the time being, he'll remain our #4 MLB; behind Rey, Muck, and Skuta. I think he'll make the 53, but to think that he'll be starting is jumping the gun....big time.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Here's my complete take on it. He may be the best MLB that the Bengals have.....but maybe not. You have absolutely no clue what you're going to get out of the guy. SO....for the time being, he'll remain our #4 MLB; behind Rey, Muck, and Skuta. I think he'll make the 53, but to think that he'll be starting is jumping the gun....big time.
I wouldn't say he is the #4 at this point. I'm guessing he has already showed enough in the coaches minds that he is either #2 or #2b. If it comes down keeping him or Muckelroy, I think Muckelroy is gone.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I think he should get some snaps with the 1st team, but not start. You need to keep him hungry.

There is little doubt that he will make the 53 man roster, he will probably be active on game days. I can forsee him being the primary back-up by the end of the season.

The Bengals prefer to not start people right out of the gate (some exceptions with 1st and 2nd rounders). Look at Geno, I thought he should have taken Tank's place by mid-season, but they waited until the next season.
A word alot of ppl forget is chemistry. It exists. Same reason Carson didntstart, same reason nate and leon will start if healthy. You can't really coach chemistry imo the players have to find it and when they do you nurture it

Old 08-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M (the other one) View Post
Depth charts mean very little at this point in the NFL.
Only the obvious starters are set in stone at this point, everyone else is interchangeable.

Burfict and Muck should both get a chance to get some good reps in with the first team, while Rey is out.

This X 2
Old 08-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
I really don't know what to say about the results of this poll. I thought for the longest time that we had some pretty knowledgable fans on here. How can ANYBODY think that Burfict will WIN the starting job with a good preseason start?

I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, he may win the job halfway through the season, but I can't see any scenario where he wins it Thursday night.

Maybe people were thinking the poll question meant would he win more playing time or would he eventually win the starting job. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to our board.
There maybe some truth into what you say, but Burfict MIGHT be the exception to rule of thumb in this case.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

With out any insight to what's going on with the team or listen to what the coaches are saying I'd side with you. But ML said "he see's Burfict as the future starter." If 5 people hear ML say that you could 5 different opinions on what it means. I guess it's all what we want to believe. I think it speaks highly of Burfict and he could be a starter a day from now or 2 years from now.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerthis View Post
There maybe some truth into what you say, but Burfict MIGHT be the exception to rule of thumb in this case.
I have a hard time thinking that. IF he were a 1st round pick, maybe I could buy into it. But to say he's going to win a starting job in preseason as undrafted rookie over a guy that Zimmer seems to like is a little iffy.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8234

If he continues to look good, he'll make the 53 with no problem.

He won't, however, win the starting job.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
If he continues to look good, he'll make the 53 with no problem. He won't, however, win the starting job.

And with that being said I'll listen to any and all "Special Announcements" by ML after tomorrows game.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19907

Well looks like according to the pregame that Muckelroy gets the starting nod at MLB.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hopeful View Post
Okay what MOD made the poor decision to merge these two threads???? These are nowhere close to being the same.

One stated whether he would when a starting job with good performance, and the other was would he start this Thursday?

Good Grief RIDICULOUS

Happened really fast too. One of the poor moves by a Mod.

They have to deal with a lot of stuff though so give them a break.

I will give them a break but it wasn't my thread either lol
Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
YES! I would start Burfict in Atlanta without question. His instincts for the ball, athleticism and the energy he brings to the defense. Plus, he seems to hit and tackle with bad intentions. I like that. He's an intimidator for sure. Reminds me of D Fulcher. I know DF played SS but they both were born and raised in Los Angeles, played for ASU and both hit hard as ----! We could use that.
I like Rey M and feel we could win with him but he will never have the ball instincts or be the ultimate intimidator this kid can be. JMHO
Burfict has his share of haters on this board and some of it he deserves due to choices he made. In college he had family and academic issues (too many distractions) he didn't handle right. That's all behind him and I believe this kid has the ability to become special on the football field. As long as he continues to listen an learn from Zim.
If nothing else, starting Burfict will light a barn fire under Rey's ---!

Just looking through the rear view mirror at some of the OPINIONS posted before the start of the regular season this year. Simply for the sake of fun and nothing to do with being cynical.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
With Burfict's history we definately don't need to hand him a starting spot...even if for 1 game.

He needs to think he's fighting to make this team and earn it...

This ones a KEEPER!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
YES! I would start Burfict in Atlanta without question. His instincts for the ball, athleticism and the energy he brings to the defense. Plus, he seems to hit and tackle with bad intentions. I like that. He's an intimidator for sure. Reminds me of D Fulcher. I know DF played SS but they both were born and raised in Los Angeles, played for ASU and both hit hard as ----! We could use that.
I like Rey M and feel we could win with him but he will never have the ball instincts or be the ultimate intimidator this kid can be. JMHO
Burfict has his share of haters on this board and some of it he deserves due to choices he made. In college he had family and academic issues (too many distractions) he didn't handle right. That's all behind him and I believe this kid has the ability to become special on the football field. As long as he continues to listen an learn from Zim.
If nothing else, starting Burfict will light a barn fire under Rey's ---!
Remember this wild and crazy idea?