Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20718
Default Re: Cincy's Potential Free Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0499 View Post
Thoughts on the upcoming free agents for the bengals. will we pay the money to keep some of the names around?

At RB we have B.Scott, with him on IR this year and already at 28 yrs old, I can see the bengals trying to keep our former 6th round pick around a little bit longer just for the fact we have a serious lack of depth, his role will be a spell at best for whoever we get to replace BJGE(we better replace BJGE)

RT A.Smith, our former 6th overall pick that we grabbed hasn't exactly lived up to expectations, but i do think he has panned out better than former #2 overall jason smith, and has outperformed the other two in eugene monroe and micheal oher from his draft class. its just the thought of the bengals paying to keep him around.

LB Rey Maualuga, taken in the beginning of the second round out of USC, its obvious who-dey nation isnt happy with his production or lack of it thus far into his early career. Vontae is a true MIKE and Maualuga hasn't exactly played tough enough to take over at SAM for Thomas Howard for when he returns. A quote I found interesting was that he said sunday after the loss on Lewis's comments on his needing to become more of a leader was "we dont need coach lewis telling us to step it up, he doesnt need to say it, we already know that we need to play better, but we dont need him telling us...." thats the first step in walking out the door of cincy, goodluck in Detroit maualuga.

DE Micheal Johnson, at 6-7 and 270 he is physical freak and better be our vocal point when it comes to keeping guys around. We let JJ slip away to houston and we cant afford to lose MJ either to free agency. He has the potential to be one of the top pass rushers in the NFL, with us trying him out at WILL set him back a year as far as developing, he has that raw talent and is getting better every game. This guy is a MUST for us to keep him around on our underachieving defense if we plan on contending anytime soon.

Knowing that Mike Brown wont pay top dollar to overpay in free agency it seems like if we let half these guys go we wont find the talent equal to their value. That's just my opinion, what do you all think?
MJ is pretty much a must to resign. Geathers is an UFA,I believe,and Gilberry is a scrub. Dunlap has been regressing since his first year and will be in a contract year next year. If we don't reup MJ,then we're basically forced to sign a RDE in FA and/or draft one in the 1st round next year.

With Andre,it honestly comes down to money. He looks good at times,while others,he just simply looks overmatched. I'm not oppossed to keeping him so we can concentrate on filling other holes,but the guy is adequate,not great,and you can't afford to overpay for mediocre players.

Rey needs to go. Burfict is the MLB of the future,IMO. Reup Howard at WILL and get a quality SAM in FA and we should have a solid LB corps next year. Scott is done for. He's oft injured and hasn't impressed lately when healthy. Time to move on.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 284
bengals 2013 Upcoming Free Agents on Bengals

Name any more that I forgot or got wrong:

M Johnson
A Smith
Huber
Maualuga
Geathers
Hawkins
T Howard
Leonard
Scott
Tate
Gilberry
Lawson
A Jones
Crocker
Newman
Clements
Sims

All players in BOLD are the ones I want resigned

The 2nd amendment shall NOT BE INFRINGED UPON.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:16 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 525
Default Re: 2013 Upcoming Free Agents on Bengals

M Johnson
A Smith

Huber
Maualuga

Geathers
Hawkins
T Howard
Leonard
Scott
Tate
Gilberry
Lawson
A Jones
Crocker
Newman
Clements
Sims

I agree, but I think there are tiers of importance.

Smith/Johnson are musts

Huber/Rey/Howard/Gilberry/Geathers/Sims/Newman/Jones/Hawkins are at our price guys

the others are ones we can wait on or let go.

We let Fanene/Frostee go when they get older. So Geathers will go. I dont think anyone will want Clements or Newman tbh.

Scott may come to Camp to see what he has, but we will be bringing in a couple backs I am sure.

Personally I think Howard the most important after Smith and MJ.

"We treat it like the Hunger Games,"Whoever gets there first, me, Geno, and Mike are licking our chops like we hadn't eaten all day." -Dunlap
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7430

Howard is coming off a serious injury so the market isnt as big for him. If he holds out he may not be on a team until a serious injury dictates the need for him.

MJ should get tagged I need to see one more season like this before he gets a good deal.

Andre played good for one year, but still has the bust label lingering around him. Id say we have a good chance of bringing him back.

Leonard, Lawson, Tate, and Scott I dont want back.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 571
bengals Re: 2013 Upcoming Free Agents on Bengals

gilberry is a MUSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Rep Points: 251721

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmohr View Post

M Johnson
A Smith
Huber
Maualuga
Geathers
Hawkins
T Howard
Leonard
Scott
Tate
Gilberry
Lawson
A Jones
Crocker
Newman
Clements
Sims

I agree with your keepers, although, if Maualuga is not resigned, I can live with that.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Howard is coming off a serious injury so the market isnt as big for him. If he holds out he may not be on a team until a serious injury dictates the need for him.

MJ should get tagged I need to see one more season like this before he gets a good deal.

Andre played good for one year, but still has the bust label lingering around him. Id say we have a good chance of bringing him back.

Leonard, Lawson, Tate, and Scott I dont want back.
Didn't he play good for the last 2 years?

Also, I wouldn't tag MJ. He's not worth top 5 DE money(roughly $11million under the tag), but Smith is IF it comes to that. Save the tag for him, and hope to work out a contract with MJ before free agency.

Everybody else should be able to be re-signed pretty easily, or they can walk without much of a fuss.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7708

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyG2 View Post
I agree with your keepers, although, if Maualuga is not resigned, I can live with that.

Agree with this.

But Maualuga will always hold a spot in my heart for throwing me a NFL game ball in his rookie season right after the Bengals beat the steelers at PBS the year my father passed.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 188

Quote:

M Johnson
A Smith
Huber
Maualuga
Geathers
Hawkins
T Howard
Leonard
Scott
Tate
Gilberry
Lawson
A Jones
Crocker
Newman
Clements
Sims

thats alot of players that play key roles on this team, some old some young. gv mike 4yrs n andre 4 or 5yrs and let go of crocker geathers lenord and lawson, keep jones let scott go gv gilberry 2 yr deal, sign rey to 1 yr contract and gv huber 3 or 4 yr deal n sign tate bck to hv depth on kr special tms splitting time with jones, newman another 1yr deal let go of nate unless signs 4 cheap let sims go let still develop, sign hawkin 2 a 2 or 3 yr deal and gv howard another 2yr deal

Last edited by heyyaoutkast; 12-31-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 479

Manny Lawson - LB Re-Sign
Andre Smith – LB Re-Sign
Nate Clements - CB
Chris Crocker - S
Jeff Faine - C
Robert Geathers - DE
Wallace Gilberrry - DT
Bruce Gradkowski – QB Re-Sign
Clark Harris - TE/LS Re-Sign
Andrew Hawkins – WR Re-Sign
Kevin Huber – P Re-Sign
Michael Johnson – DE Re-Sign
Adam Jones - CB
Brian Leonard - RB
Rey Maualuga – LB Re-Sign
Jeromy Miles - CB
Terrence Newman – CB Re-Sign
Mike Nugent – K Re-Sign
Cedric Peerman – RB Re-Sign
Richard Quinn - TE
Vincent Rey – LB Re-Sign
Pat Sims – DT Re-Sign
Dan Skuta – LB Re-Sign
Brandon Tate - WR Re-Sign

What do you guys think?
Who Dey!the 6 in BOLD I want re-signed immediately! the underline people I want but don't break the bank for. Some are still iffy (Maualuga) and I rather see the rest of the season to come to a final conclusion.

I really like having Clements at safety because of all the experience he's had on the field as a CB. He could be a very good General out there in the secondary, like Woodson style. He does everything you're supposed to do on Defense. Yeah, I know he's getting up there in age but he could have a couple more years if he stays at Safety and be a good mentor for a possible drafted S.

Pat Sims is a must too. Ironic, he goes down last year, Defense goes to crap. Defense starts like crap this year, comes off PUP and now the Defense looks better. Coincidence? Nothing wrong with having his big 'ol body fighting for us in the trenches.

I'm running out of time to explain the rest but you know what i'm going to say anyways. But my thoughts are we can't re-sign everybody especially with Atkins and Dunlap contract will expire the following season and I want the Bengals to unload some cash to these 2 guys!!!

I just cut and paste my old response from the last thread that mentioned FA's

Last edited by FootballBender; 12-31-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:

M Johnson
A Smith
Huber
Maualuga
Geathers
Hawkins
T Howard
Leonard
Scott
Tate
Gilberry
Lawson
A Jones
Crocker
Newman
Clements
Sims

I'd add Crocker and maybe Geathers to the list. They're the leaders of this defense.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2281

Manny Lawson - getting old let walk
Andre Smith –resign
Nate Clements - getting old only at at good price
Chris Crocker - S-only at our price
Jeff Faine - let walk
Robert Geathers - DE-meh only at our price
Wallace Gilberrry - DT-valueable player re-sign
Bruce Gradkowski – QB Re-Sign
Clark Harris - TE/LS Re-Sign
Andrew Hawkins – WR Re-Sign
Kevin Huber – P Re-Sign
Michael Johnson – DE Re-Sign
Adam Jones - CB
Brian Leonard - too breakable
Rey Maualuga – only at our price
Jeromy Miles - CB
Terrence Newman – CB Re-Sign
Mike Nugent – K Re-Sign
Cedric Peerman – only at our orice
Richard Quinn - TE-meh
Vincent Rey – LB Re-Sign
Pat Sims – DT Re-Sign
Dan Skuta – too slow
Brandon Tate -dont let the door hit you
Bernard Scott-too breakable-let walk

my picks,

Ian
In some cities when times are difficult, fans encourage their athletes with platitudes like go for the Gold or Go for the Goal, here in Cincinnati we are a little skewed...when times get ruff, we go for the Goat
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 23997

There are 4 musts for me: Smith, MJ, Pacman, and Gilberry. Hawkins would be nice and Howard would help, especially if he comes a bit cheaper due to his injury.

I could care less about Rey coming back. I wouldn't mind seeing him at SLB if he does, but he's way too inconsistent at MLB. I don't always get the feeling that he wants to be in Cincinnati anyway. I certainly wouldn't give him much money.

I love Pat SIms. He's a great run stuffer and the defense seems to play better when he's playing. That said, I think they can get by without him. The Bengals drafted two talented DTs last season that saw very little action in the regular season. The starters are set with Atkins and Peko. I'm okay with those four guys. If nobody else wants him and he comes cheap, then yes, I'd resign Pat, but I'd rather carry 5 ends than 5 tackles.

I'd take the same approach with Geathers. If they can get him back on a team-friendly deal for another year, then I'd take it. He fills a hole and is a nice rotational end.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5766
bengals Re: 2013 Upcoming Free Agents on Bengals

M Johnson
A Smith
Huber
Maualuga
Geathers
Hawkins
T Howard
Leonard
Scott
Tate
Gilberry
Lawson
A Jones
Crocker
Newman
Clements
Sims

That looks about right for my version. Bengals need to cut ties with Newman, Crocker, and Clements and simply get younger in the secondary. They also need to completely rebuild their backfield. As far as importance list.. I would go...

MJ, Smith, Huber, Howard, Jones, Gilberry, Hawkins, Sims.

I think if they used Hawkins properly, then he'd be a much higher priority... but until then, I have to put Huber up high. I still remember Kyle Larson's 2008...ugh...

Bengals FA: A period where fans want them to keep their own, unless the team doesn't manage to, in which case they were either overrated or overpaid. Or they weren't a team player. Or I think they said they were a Steelers fan once. I heard they preferred Gold Star over Skyline anyway. Oh well, they're easily replaceable by *insert unproven backup player or rookie name here*.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

Rep Points: -88
bengals Bengals FA's

hey guys wanted to find out how much would A.Smith, M.Johnson,W.Gilberry be worth this offseason. Also do you think they will resign? theses 3 guys we have to have signed back.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1019
Default Re: Bengals FA's

This is being talked about in other threads - and the answer to your questions are that we don't know. its way too early to tell what the market will be like. Also, we have no way of knowing anything about their intentions.

This thread should be merged.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 696

The good news is Mike Brown has to spend this year. I think we will be in good shape due to the fact we'll have to get to the spending floor and we're one of those teams that is not paying outrageous QB salaries. I'd rather count on proven players rather than FA or draft picks. sign the starters!!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:

M Johnson
A Smith
Huber
Maualuga
Geathers
Hawkins
T Howard
Leonard
Scott
Tate
Gilberry
Lawson
A Jones
Crocker
Newman
Clements
Sims

Hawkins is an exclusive rights free agent, I believe, as he's only played 2 years in the league, so he is pretty much as good as retained.

To me, the big two are MJ and Andre. Both are good players, and losing either creates a big hole in the roster. Adam Jones would be my third priority, as he is a great nickle CB and PR man.

Rey Maualuga, we can probably stand to let walk. He has played better the second half of this year, but he is still very mediocre and it appears that Burfict can be the MLB of the future, especially if we resign Howard to come back and man the WILL position.

I would love Gilberry back, but I have a bad feeling that he will be a Rucker/Fanene type player in FA this year. In other words, he's a good rotation player that somebody will overvalue and give starter money to. Sims could fall in the same boat, but he is a lot more expendable since we have Still and Thompson who should be ready to see more PT next year.

Newman would be nice if we can get him cheap, but not a necessity if we reup Jones.

I would add Crocker to your list, though. He would provide some insurance going into the draft in case we can't get the SS we want. The guy isn't great, but he's cheap, serviceable, and knows the defense.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 29

I agree with most of what everyone has said. I am in the same boat as others, I honestly could care less about Rey Rey. If we get him cheap than alright but no need to spend a lot on a guy that has really under-performed IMO. I think, depending on who is available, we should draft a OLB with one of our first three picks in the 1st-2nd round and move Burfict to MLB.

Also, I know Jones has improved a lot but I still don't think he is that great. He still seems to make some major blunders in coverage at very opportune times. I think he is a great punt returner, probably one of the best in the league, but he could be a much better CB. I don't think he deserves a huge contract. That is just my opinion.

We are just about to the point, outside a couple positions (safety being the main one), that we can start drafting the best player on the board.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 922

Only in Bengal land would fans be concerned with the possibility of over paying players that might help us win.
All players are a gamble.
A player is worth what some team is willing to pay him

The Bengals are worth a fortune.
They make money hand over fist.

Why would any of you worry yourself about getting your monies worth?

J Joseph was worth much more to the Bengals than he was to Houston--yet he's going to the pro bowl and we replaced him with an old guy who was sitting on his couch a few weeks ago.

For those of you worried about the payroll--(lol) -fear not! Mike will always be Mike and the basement bargin players he employs will always be a part of this organization.

You've all been Bengalized!

In a few months this site will explode after Mike refuses to pay some valuable players.
Followed by the kool-aid drinkers who will tell the rest of us how these players weren't worth the money.

Rinse / repeat.

Last edited by tmangoud; 01-01-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeyZA View Post
I agree with most of what everyone has said. I am in the same boat as others, I honestly could care less about Rey Rey. If we get him cheap than alright but no need to spend a lot on a guy that has really under-performed IMO. I think, depending on who is available, we should draft a OLB with one of our first three picks in the 1st-2nd round and move Burfict to MLB.

Also, I know Jones has improved a lot but I still don't think he is that great. He still seems to make some major blunders in coverage at very opportune times. I think he is a great punt returner, probably one of the best in the league, but he could be a much better CB. I don't think he deserves a huge contract. That is just my opinion.

We are just about to the point, outside a couple positions (safety being the main one), that we can start drafting the best player on the board.
Yea right. Lets cut or lose players (including some starters) before we have quality players to replace them.
Then replace them with players who have never played a down in the NFL or are cast offs from other orgainzations.

Untill expectations are higher you will get what we've always have--a team that is on the playoff bubble, ---and never striving to go anywhere higher.

Bengal fans are so used to how this orgainization works that they seldom consider how the great teams function.

Here is the Cincinnati Bengals Motto--straight from this post.

I honestly could care less about Rey Rey. If we get him cheap than alright but no need to spend a lot on a guy

Yes--because spending too much money has always been the problem in Cincinnati ..???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?

Last edited by tmangoud; 01-01-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2731

Quote:

M Johnson
A Smith
Huber
Maualuga
Geathers
Hawkins
T Howard
Leonard
Scott
Tate
Gilberry
Lawson
A Jones
Crocker
Newman
Clements
Sims

Here's how one determines who stays and who goes...

1) Pay. If Mikey has to pay competitive money, that player is GONE.

2) Play. If a player sees a chance to get the starting spot elsewhere, they'll leave (not likely for many). If they see a chance here, they'll stay (likely for most). I think Gilberry and Sims sign on to stay--largely because it's almost unthinkable that Mikey will pay Geno, meaning Geno is almost certain to leave.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17911

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
Here's how one determines who stays and who goes...

1) Pay. If Mikey has to pay competitive money, that player is GONE.

2) Play. If a player sees a chance to get the starting spot elsewhere, they'll leave (not likely for many). If they see a chance here, they'll stay (likely for most). I think Gilberry and Sims sign on to stay--largely because it's almost unthinkable that Mikey will pay Geno, meaning Geno is almost certain to leave.
Wow. Talk about a load of crap. Somebody'll be along to list all the reasons why. I'm laughing at you to hard to bother. Complaining is one thing. Just making **** up is a horse of a different color. Is this really how you want to start a new year?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham fan View Post
gilberry is a MUSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
What a find he was!!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmangoud View Post

Yea right. Lets cut or lose players (including some starters) before we have quality players to replace them.
Then replace them with players who have never played a down in the NFL or are cast offs from other orgainzations.

Untill expectations are higher you will get what we've always have--a team that is on the playoff bubble, ---and never striving to go anywhere higher.

Bengal fans are so used to how this orgainization works that they seldom consider how the great teams function.

Here is the Cincinnati Bengals Motto--straight from this post.

I honestly could care less about Rey Rey. If we get him cheap than alright but no need to spend a lot on a guy

Yes--because spending too much money has always been the problem in Cincinnati ..???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?
This post makes absolutely zero logical sense. You bag on the Bengals for not retaining good players and replacing them with rookies and bargain basement FA's, but fail to realize that Rey Maualuga lost the tackling title to Thomas Howard[a bargain basement FA] last year and lost the tackling title to Vontaze Burfict[a rookie CFA who'd never played a down in the NFL] this year. The fact that Rey has been outplayed the last two years by rookies and bargain bin FA's dictates that he is not worth a big money contract. That's not being cheap. That's being smart with a finite resource.

Besides which, we have Rey's replacement already on the roster. Burfict was brought in as depth at MLB, which is what he played in college and in the preseason, then moved to WLB after Thomas Howard was injured.

On top of that, this year, both MJ and Andre will cost a good deal to retain. We need to get Atkins locked up long term, and he will get a big contract. Then, next year, we have contracts with AJ, Dalton, Gresham, and Dunlap to address. The reason we are so far under the cap right now is because most all of our best players are still playing on their rookie contracts, but as those contracts start to expire, their cap numbers will skyrocket.

There are guys on this roster that I would pretty much just hand a blank check to, like Geno and AJ. However, the biggest way to wind up in big cap trouble is to overpay for middle of the road players like Rey that can easily be replaced in the draft or by cheaper FA's.