Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689
Default Re: La Canfora from CBS hearing Front Office Rumours

We're bad for 20 years and don't hire a GM...then we have back to back winning seasons andTHATS when they talk about making a change. Its bizarro world!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15835

Most fans don't understand or care to understand the business side of pro football. Mike Brown purchased more control of the team in the past decade. This cost him mega millions and most likely business loans to secure more interest in the team. I speculate now that Mike Brown has settled that extra debt which in turn which increase the yearly profits (by reducing those monthly and yearly loan payments).

So maybe now he can afford to comfrotably hire a GM to run the team. I know there are tons of Mike Brown haters, but anyone looking at this franchise the past 4 to five years has to give MB credit. I also know this man (supposedly filthy rich and tight with money reputation many have given him) is in PBS everyday by 8 a.m. My point being, he loves the Bengals and he works at being an owner. He is not in Florida sun bathing. He could be, but he chose to work and continue to work when many others of us would have retired or semi retired.

So, I am not surpirised to hear MB may be thinking about bringing on a GM. In business lots of things are timing. Some will understand this, some will not. Some will care and some could care less. Just my humble opinions.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4699

Mike Brown never did take the title of GM. Now, point of fact, his duties may have mirrored those of a traditional GM, he never considered anyone in the organization to be the GM....including himself. He's the owner.

I thought it was odd that MB actually gave in to trading Carson, regardless of the offer. Someone, somewhere convinced him to pull that trigger. I've also noticed that our drafts over the past couple of seasons have been markedly better. On top of all that, while MB is a private guy, he's been conspicuously off the radar.

I don't think it's a huge leap to follow the above to the conclusion that MB may be stepping away more and more from his traditional "duties". Could be his health. Could be he is finally feeling his own mortality. Could be Katie taking on more and more of her Dad's duties.

What I do know, Marvin was getting ready to bolt a couple of years ago. We all expected it. He stated publicly major changes needed to be made. Lo and behold, Marvin gets another extension and Chad, T.O. and Carson are gone. We have more scouting help. Medical staff is upgraded. Fewer and fewer Mike Brown sightings at PBS. This isn't a coincidence.

Marvin knows how to draft well. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's bumped up to the front office in some sort of quasi GM position. I wouldn't be surprised if Zim ends up taking ML's place.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if all these rumblings are little more than smoke, either.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33251

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
Mike Brown never did take the title of GM. Now, point of fact, his duties may have mirrored those of a traditional GM, he never considered anyone in the organization to be the GM....including himself. He's the owner.

I thought it was odd that MB actually gave in to trading Carson, regardless of the offer. Someone, somewhere convinced him to pull that trigger. I've also noticed that our drafts over the past couple of seasons have been markedly better. On top of all that, while MB is a private guy, he's been conspicuously off the radar.

I don't think it's a huge leap to follow the above to the conclusion that MB may be stepping away more and more from his traditional "duties". Could be his health. Could be he is finally feeling his own mortality. Could be Katie taking on more and more of her Dad's duties.

What I do know, Marvin was getting ready to bolt a couple of years ago. We all expected it. He stated publicly major changes needed to be made. Lo and behold, Marvin gets another extension and Chad, T.O. and Carson are gone. We have more scouting help. Medical staff is upgraded. This isn't a coincidence.

Marvin knows how to draft well. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's bumped up to the front office in some sort of quasi GM position. I wouldn't be surprised if Zim ends up taking ML's place.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if all these rumblings are little more than smoke, either.
Agreed. I had often speculated on what those terms where with marvin with the last extenstion I had hoped it was.. Get us threw this Lockout.. and back to the Playoffs. Then you move to the GM spot.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark W Griswold View Post
Only way this makes sense is if he is preparing to let Katie take over and that's what she wants.
I've said it a thousand times before and people are sick of hearing it, but the bottom line is nepotism has no place in the league. There is no way that Katie Blackburn is just coincidentally the best person for the job AND MB's daughter. She may be very good at her job and obviously has a place in the organization, but she should not be GM. Period.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8939

I'm gonna have a stroke if this happens.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
I've said it a thousand times before and people are sick of hearing it, but the bottom line is nepotism has no place in the league. There is no way that Katie Blackburn is just coincidentally the best person for the job AND MB's daughter. She may be very good at her job and obviously has a place in the organization, but she should not be GM. Period.
Hes talking about Kattie taking over Control of the Bengals as a Whole not giving her the GM spot.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Somehow sounds too good to be true.

Marvin to GM, Zimmer to HC, and Lovie Smith to DC. That would be a dream come true. Marvin gets all of our guys re-signed, and adds a couple of FAs.

I can only wish
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8409

Quote:
Originally Posted by urinalcake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Hes talking about Kattie taking over Control of the Bengals as a Whole not giving her the GM spot.
Yep, Katie on record saying when the time comes, she will hire a GM to run the team.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45519

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post

Marvin to GM, Zimmer to HC, and Lovie Smith to DC. That would be a dream come true. Marvin gets all of our guys re-signed, and adds a couple of FAs.

I can only wish

That would be a best case scenario, IMO. While Marvin makes plenty of bonehead decisions during the games, he does seem to know how to select personnel and scout talent, he seems like a natural fit for the position of GM.

I would think that keeping Marvin in the organization could only be a good thing. He has been here since it was complete, totalitarian dictatorship, and would be most effective at buffering new personalities into the "Bengals way" of doing things.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Rep Points: 109475

CBS Sports' Jason LaCanfora reports the Bengals are considering adding to the front office, including adding the position of General Manager....

LaCanfora's source is Brian Patteronia.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:55 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 921

looks like marvin lewis has the 2nd longest tenure with there current team now behind bill belichick...lewis hired in 03 and bill belichick in 01...

Last edited by joshb1983; 12-31-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10488

Yes. For the love of all that is holy, move Marvin to GM, and Zimmer to HC. PLEASE.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Yes. For the love of all that is holy, move Marvin to GM, and Zimmer to HC. PLEASE.
Now you're just being stupid.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381

Does this suprise me? No not at all. Why? Because Katie has been calling the shots for a little while now.

Katie was the one who went with Marvin and Grudens decision to go with Andy when Mikey want Mallet. Katie was the one who expressed interest to her father in expanding scouting and giving Marvin what he wanted (which will soon come). So I have to believe Katie is also behind this one. I think she has has pretty much been in control since Carson left.

The last legitimate decision Mikey has made was pulling the trigger on that Carson trade.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 53842

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post

I can only wish
A good wish though. And in that same vein, I'll wish for the above and add Norv Turner as OC just in case that unlikely rumor of the Eagles wanting Gruden works out
Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 969

Could it be? They've finally listened to the smart people on this board (myself included, lol).

Promote Marvin to GM, Zim to HC, and go from there? Mike's ready for some R & R! You can't take it with you buddy! Enjoy those dollas while you can!!!

Please, pretty pretty please, let this be true!!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

People should care about winning games. Not about who is sitting in an office somewhere.

You think people in Jacksonville, Cleveland, KC, Oakland, Tennessee, etc are all excited because they have some dude in a suit with the title of GM?

I'd rather win games and be in the playoffs 3 out of 4 years.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:03 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4518

Quote:
That's exactly what I was saying...thank you. Katie would want a GM and we know MB doesn't because he hasn't ever hired one.

Do we really know if Marvin wants to be a GM? I know he is fond of Ozzie in Baltimore but these are totally different jobs. GMs negotiate contracts, talk with agents, hire and fire coaches etc. HC work with players, create game plans and are actually on the field during games and practices. What I am pointing out is that Marvin seems to like being involved in the action and all the day to day actual football stuff. I honestly don't think he would want to be a GM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29754

The day that MB hires a GM would be the best day of my life as a Bengals fan.

But...I'll believe it when I see it. Weren't there rumors a couple years ago that we were set to hire a former Dolphins GM?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
People should care about winning games. Not about who is sitting in an office somewhere.

You think people in Jacksonville, Cleveland, KC, Oakland, Tennessee, etc are all excited because they have some dude in a suit with the title of GM?

I'd rather win games in the playoffs, rather than just making it. Having a good GM would help continue to build this team. That's why people care.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7648

Quote:
And the fact we have to over spend the next few years to level out the average cap for the last 2.
dont see it as over spending, but being able to keep all the key core players to stay going forward
we will have a ton of cap space to play with to make it work (thanks Mikey Boy)

re-sign
Smith
Johnson
Jones

extend
Atlins
Dunlap

the shroud of the Dark side will fall and we can be the most hatted team for always winning

WINNING MAKES BELIEVERS OF US ALL PAUL BROWN
Marvin for GM 2013

Last edited by Bengals in Toronto; 12-31-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark W Griswold View Post
That's exactly what I was saying...thank you. Katie would want a GM and we know MB doesn't because he hasn't ever hired one.

Do we really know if Marvin wants to be a GM? I know he is fond of Ozzie in Baltimore but these are totally different jobs. GMs negotiate contracts, talk with agents, hire and fire coaches etc. HC work with players, create game plans and are actually on the field during games and practices. What I am pointing out is that Marvin seems to like being involved in the action and all the day to day actual football stuff. I honestly don't think he would want to be a GM.
Sometimes you got to do what your Best At like **** Lebeow as a DC instead of HC... Marvin would make a great GM.... And Zimmer would make a Great HC...

But your correct not every Coach wants to be taken off the sidelines even if you call it a promotion.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post

Signed,

Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24523

Quote:
Sometimes you got to do what your Best At like **** Lebeow as a DC instead of HC... Marvin would make a great GM.... And Zimmer would make a Great HC...

But your correct not every Coach wants to be taken off the sidelines even if you call it a promotion.
I don't know if I buy that. Given how many interviews he has had and never really seemed to be a "serious" candidate, I think he may be more LeBeau than not. And that isn't a bad thing