Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4645
Default New Years Eve Mock

Re-signs
- Andre Smith
- Michael Johnson
- Wallace Gilberry
- Clark Harris
- Kevin Huber
- Josh Brown
- Adam Jones
- Cedric Peerman
- Bruce Gradkowski
- Andrew Hawkins
- Dan Skuta
- Thomas Howard: Starting WILL
- Terence Newman
- Rey Maualuga(as a backup)

Key Free Agent
Signings

- Greg Jennings: Our big FA pickup. Solidifies the WR corp and gives the team a savvy veteran at the position.
- Danny Woodhead: Here's our COP back. Great hands out of the backfield and can make something out of nothing. Huge effort guy.

As you can clearly see, this team is once again not very active in FA, but, the signings go a long way to help what is looking like an anemic offense.

2013 NFL Draft

1. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
With the departure of Geathers, and the inconsistency of Dunlap(both health and play), this team needs another solid DE in the rotation. Good against both the run and the pass, he has the skills to be a starter.

2A. Giovani Bernard, RB, UNC

Green-Ellis is good for what he is, a short yardage back that can fill in for an injury. We need a full-time guy that can get to the edge and run away from defenders though, and Gio is that guy.

2B. Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
Great nose for the ball and is in the backfield a lot. I know he projects more as a 3-4 linebacker, but I think he'd be good as a SAM here.

3. Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia

Ball hawking safety with the ability to hit hard. Is a good all around prospect that got caught up in a bad situation during spring break. He'd be an immediate upgrade to our secondary.

4. Adrian Bushell, CB, Louisville
Was recruited by and signed with Florida and was expected to be Haden's replacement. Instead, he followed his DC to Louisville where he is now a solid CB. Named All Big East 1st team, and is coming off his best season: 59tackles, 1int, and 11pdef. Also doesn't shy away from contact. Should be a good back-up and eventual starter.

4B(comp pick). Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida
Shows flashes of NFL ability, but still isn't consistent enough for 1st day consideration. When he's on, he's dominant in the run game and decent in pass pro. Taking a chance on him here could prove to be a good decision and he'd make a decent back-up to Andre Smith.

5. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

One of the best blocking TEs in the NCAA, Williams has been the blocker for 2 1st round RBs in his career, and is now blocking for a guy that will likely go in the 2nd round this year. He could also be a passing threat as well. Very similar to Reggie Kelly.

6. Tyrann Mathieu, KR/CB, LSU
His off-field issues may scare people away, but his ability as a returner can't be ignored. Take him with a late pick and don't look back. If he acts up...cut him.

6B. Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers
Great hands and big body guy at 6'6" 220lbs. Could be a serious redzone threat.

So that's it. Comments?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 991
Default Re: New Years Eve Mock

This looks like a fantastic draft to me. Cant go wrong with anything here.

- Gives us another great DE to add to an already top of the league D-Line rotation.

- Gives us a fast RB to compliment BJGE in the backfield; great speed and he has great vision, being he is a returner as well.

- LB that is extremely smart and has great instincts. Knows where to be and gets the job done.

- Safety pick with Rambo is great as well. The only problem we may run into, is with a good showing, he may not be there when we pick.

- The rest of the draft just adds depth at positions you need depth at.

Great mock!!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 13

I like it, jus add Lattimore with a compensatory pick and were good
Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1128

Great mock, adresses all needs, good job.

CINwillWIN is the man
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsfromCanada View Post
I like it, jus add Lattimore with a compensatory pick and were good
In addition to the 4th, we may get another 6th as well. If that's the case then I'd take a chance on Lattimore and his knee. There's a reason he isn't in 1st, 2nd, or really even 3rd round consideration even though he has immense talent.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2290

Re-signing Johnson and Smith would be a great FA for the Bengals. I don't see any way they bring in Greg Jennings. He will be way over payed by someone if he leaves Green Bay and it won't be by us. With that said I don't see the need for a WR anyways so even if we didn't get Jennings this would be an ideal off-season in my opinion. I want to add Bernard to this team even it means using a first round pick so if it turned out we could get him in the second and add a talent like Okafor in the first still that would be amazing. Also what I like about this draft is guys like Okafor, Thomas, and Rambo all seem ready to contribute in the NFL during their first season. Adding talent like that to the 6th ranked defense would be a welcome addition.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
Re-signs
- Andre Smith
- Michael Johnson
- Wallace Gilberry
- Clark Harris
- Kevin Huber
- Josh Brown
- Adam Jones
- Cedric Peerman
- Bruce Gradkowski
- Andrew Hawkins
- Dan Skuta
- Thomas Howard: Starting WILL
- Terence Newman
- Rey Maualuga(as a backup)

Key Free Agent
Signings

- Greg Jennings: Our big FA pickup. Solidifies the WR corp and gives the team a savvy veteran at the position.
- Danny Woodhead: Here's our COP back. Great hands out of the backfield and can make something out of nothing. Huge effort guy.

As you can clearly see, this team is once again not very active in FA, but, the signings go a long way to help what is looking like an anemic offense.

2013 NFL Draft

1. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
With the departure of Geathers, and the inconsistency of Dunlap(both health and play), this team needs another solid DE in the rotation. Good against both the run and the pass, he has the skills to be a starter.

2A. Giovani Bernard, RB, UNC

Green-Ellis is good for what he is, a short yardage back that can fill in for an injury. We need a full-time guy that can get to the edge and run away from defenders though, and Gio is that guy.

2B. Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford
Great nose for the ball and is in the backfield a lot. I know he projects more as a 3-4 linebacker, but I think he'd be good as a SAM here.

3. Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia

Ball hawking safety with the ability to hit hard. Is a good all around prospect that got caught up in a bad situation during spring break. He'd be an immediate upgrade to our secondary.

4. Adrian Bushell, CB, Louisville
Was recruited by and signed with Florida and was expected to be Haden's replacement. Instead, he followed his DC to Louisville where he is now a solid CB. Named All Big East 1st team, and is coming off his best season: 59tackles, 1int, and 11pdef. Also doesn't shy away from contact. Should be a good back-up and eventual starter.

4B(comp pick). Xavier Nixon, OT, Florida
Shows flashes of NFL ability, but still isn't consistent enough for 1st day consideration. When he's on, he's dominant in the run game and decent in pass pro. Taking a chance on him here could prove to be a good decision and he'd make a decent back-up to Andre Smith.

5. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

One of the best blocking TEs in the NCAA, Williams has been the blocker for 2 1st round RBs in his career, and is now blocking for a guy that will likely go in the 2nd round this year. He could also be a passing threat as well. Very similar to Reggie Kelly.

6. Tyrann Mathieu, KR/CB, LSU
His off-field issues may scare people away, but his ability as a returner can't be ignored. Take him with a late pick and don't look back. If he acts up...cut him.

6B. Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers
Great hands and big body guy at 6'6" 220lbs. Could be a serious redzone threat.

So that's it. Comments?
Not bad. I would like a wide receiver earlier but if we get Jennings there is no need.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
Re-signing Johnson and Smith would be a great FA for the Bengals. I don't see any way they bring in Greg Jennings. He will be way over payed by someone if he leaves Green Bay and it won't be by us. With that said I don't see the need for a WR anyways so even if we didn't get Jennings this would be an ideal off-season in my opinion. I want to add Bernard to this team even it means using a first round pick so if it turned out we could get him in the second and add a talent like Okafor in the first still that would be amazing. Also what I like about this draft is guys like Okafor, Thomas, and Rambo all seem ready to contribute in the NFL during their first season. Adding talent like that to the 6th ranked defense would be a welcome addition.
Sure, Jennings is a long shot, but we can afford to overpay a little for him. However, he is coming off of a season where he was injured, his numbers weren't that good, and he'll turn 30 during the first month of the 2013 season, so I doubt he'll really command that much money.

My thought is: We can hope Jones develops into the good #2 we need, but I'd feel better bringing in a guy we KNOW can do it.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28139

With re-signing Wallace Gillberry and MJ, I really don't see us using a first round pick on a DE.

And we are not going to use a draft pick on a kid who got arrested for drugs after getting kicked off the team for drugs.

The rest is pretty good.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
With re-signing Wallace Gillberry and MJ, I really don't see us using a first round pick on a DE.

And we are not going to use a draft pick on a kid who got arrested for drugs after getting kicked off the team for drugs.

The rest is pretty good.
You keep saying this. If the Bengals don't draft a DE in the 1st, then what SHOULD they draft in the 1st?

As for the mock, if the Bengals are going to wait until the 3rd round to draft Rambo around the 85th overall pick, then the Bengals NEED to sign a somewhat quality free agent safety as an insurance policy for the scenario that Rambo is picked prior to our 3rd round selection. We need to upgrade the Crocker band-aid.

Last edited by mulligan; 01-01-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
You keep saying this. If the Bengals don't draft a DE in the 1st, then what SHOULD they draft in the 1st?

As for the mock, if the Bengals are going to wait until the 3rd round to draft Rambo around the 85th overall pick, then the Bengals NEED to sign a somewhat quality free agent safety as an insurance policy for the scenario that Rambo is picked prior to our 3rd round selection. We need to upgrade the Crocker band-aid.
If they re-sign MJ and WG, DE is not a first round need. Draft the best player available. If that's a DE, fine, but I just don't think they will.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2051

I love Rambo, got my fingers crossed we can get him. I watched GA a lot this year and that kid seemed to always be in the right place on big plays. Every time I watched him played he reminded me of Ed Reed just always made a play when GA needed it.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
If they re-sign MJ and WG, DE is not a first round need. Draft the best player available. If that's a DE, fine, but I just don't think they will.
In your opinion, who would be the players that would be among the best players available? Specific names.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorobredbullies View Post
I love Rambo, got my fingers crossed we can get him. I watched GA a lot this year and that kid seemed to always be in the right place on big plays. Every time I watched him played he reminded me of Ed Reed just always made a play when GA needed it.
A safety like Ed Reed falling to the 3rd round? Something is out of place.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
In your opinion, who would be the players that would be among the best players available? Specific names.
Hard to say without knowing who has been taken and who hasn't.

Ogletree may not be the BPA, but if he's there, he's a value and fits a need.

If Keenan Allen or Terrance Williams are there, good chance they're BPA.

Banks is another guy who could be there.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6283

Quote:
If you go by some of the lists that are out there, these would be the guys that I would take:

Kenny Vacarro
Keenan Allen
Barrett Jones
Eric Reid
Robert Woods
Anthony Barr
Alec Ogletree
Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:

I think they will draft a SS anyways. I think Jefferson is who they'll take. Zimmer likes those hybrid type players and Jefferson fits.

DE in the 1st is the way to go unless the one they want is gone then draft WR/CB. Then Khaseem Greene with 2A.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
If you go by some of the lists that are out there, these would be the guys that I would take:

Kenny Vacarro
Keenan Allen
Barrett Jones
Eric Reid
Robert Woods
Anthony Barr
Alec Ogletree
Barr is staying in school.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

I can't believe that you don't want some of the other free agents back. Do you remember when we had a long snapper that coulodn't long snap? This guy is good; gotta keep Clark. Pacman has been very reliable; gotta keep him. Gotta keep Gilberry for sure. In very limited play, he has excelled. He was a fabulous pick up and we need him back.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1334

Quote:

Try to find an impact OLB; maybe that's Ogletree. If we resign MJ and Gilberry, I think you'll also see Geathers back on the cheap. We won't need a DE in Rd 1.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Geathers is gonna be gone.Dunlap is still inconsistent and injury prone. Drafting a DE in the 1st is not a bad idea. And if you saw Okafor the other night you'd know why we'd want him.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Geathers is gonna be gone.Dunlap is still inconsistent and injury prone. Drafting a DE in the 1st is not a bad idea. And if you saw Okafor the other night you'd know why we'd want him.
Don't be surprised when Geathers is back. He likes it here, and the coaches like him, and he's not going to get a huge contract this time.

I did see Okafor the other night.

And I'm not necessarily saying I wouldn't draft a DE, I just don't think the Bengals will do it.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:30 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Don't be surprised when Geathers is back. He likes it here, and the coaches like him, and he's not going to get a huge contract this time.

I did see Okafor the other night.

And I'm not necessarily saying I wouldn't draft a DE, I just don't think the Bengals will do it.
Somebody will overpay him just like they did Rucker and Fanene
Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Somebody will overpay him just like they did Rucker and Fanene
We'll see.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Hard to say without knowing who has been taken and who hasn't.

Ogletree may not be the BPA, but if he's there, he's a value and fits a need.

If Keenan Allen or Terrance Williams are there, good chance they're BPA.

Banks is another guy who could be there.
I like Ogletree. But what LB position would he play? WILL, SAM, MIKE?

Ideally, I would like him at WILL with Howard also getting signed on the cheap.

WILL: Ogletree/Howard/Lemur
MIKE: Burfict/Skuta
SAM: Maualuga/Moch or Joiner or Schaffer

WTS, I don't trust Burfict as a MIKE. But I believe that Maualuga could/should/would play faster at SAM than at MIKE.