Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244
Default Re: If Jay Gruden and or Mike Zimmer Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishpride View Post
[/list]Buddy Ryan, LOL! I believe you meant Rob.
Just say no to the White Mane of Rob Ryan...

Rex on the other hand would fit.... (Rob runs a 3-4)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1132

Denver is going to be losing some coaches as well.

Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLucieBengal View Post
Denver is going to be losing some coaches as well.
the Peyton manning Effect....
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3244

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Jay has been completely underwhelming as an OC, so if he got a better job, I'd love to see him hit the bricks.

Zimmer has put together a decent defense here, so prefer if he stayed, which he likely will as there are many better DC's out there who have been better, longer, and with much more consistency. Since that is the case, why would they sniff around Zimmer at all with better options on the table?
I don't know if I'd say underwhelming, but I agree that he is replaceable. Zimmer is probably the best DC in the league not named LeBeau.

"The IR has been renamed "The Carlos Dunlap" protection program."
Old 12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdub2005 View Post
I don't know if I'd say underwhelming, but I agree that he is replaceable. Zimmer is probably the best DC in the league not named LeBeau.
I say Give him a Check for 10 mil to stick around (but i think they did that last year)

Edit: zimmer not Gruden
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73805

Jay Gruden isn't leaving, but if he's gone, there is no doubt it's Jackson
If Zimmer leaves, I would imagine Lovie Smith in an instant
Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 93

Mike Zimmer would be a huge loss............he stands over on the sideline dialing up all those blitzes and stunts for our studs up front...........i argue we have had the BEST D IN THE NFL over our 7-1 run to the playoffs...........losing Zim would be BIG BAD.

Jay is good but young............he needs a couple more years but he will be very good............Hue is a OC in waiting and Marvin knows it.............that is why an offensive coach is coaching our DBs...............and doing a great job i might add.............Adam is all over his recvr, Neumann looks 25, Nelson should have 3 or 4 more picks............Leon is Leon thank God.

That being said Marvin to GM & Zim to HC would be my Christmas.

Marvin knows talent.............look around............just not as talented as others on the timeclock thing.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4692

When you look at these names keep in mind that the Bengals like to hire from within. That means I don't want anything to do with guys like Norv or Romeo regardless of good they are as coordinators. I reject them just on the slight chance that someday we would hire them to replace Marvin. Just say no to any proven HC failures and we will be better off in the future.

Fun to speculate about stuff but it's nice not to be in the middle of "Black Monday". As hard as I and many others have been on Marvin, his job is about as secure as anyone's in the NFL right now.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54113

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincykid8000 View Post
............Hue is a OC in waiting and Marvin knows it.............that is why an offensive coach is coaching our DBs...............and doing a great job i might add.............Adam is all over his recvr, Neumann looks 25, Nelson should have 3 or 4 more picks............Leon is Leon thank God.

Mark Carrier is our DB coach.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 54113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo37 View Post
  • Marty Mornhinweg - maybe he'll join Andy Reid in San Diego. The Eagles had a tough year, but Marty is a former HC and good coordinator.
Mornhinweg has quietly been the most successful OC in the league over the last 10 years. He also runs a WCO. The eagles throw the ball way too much for Marvin's tastes, but I am sure Marty could adjust.

However Jay is not going anywhere. the only reason he pops up in the rumor mill is his last name. I am not bashing Jay. i think he has done a fine job heer with the youth he has had to work with, but only two seasons as an NFL coach and never producing an offense ranked higher than 20th in the league is not a head coach resume. Too many other OCs out there who have paid their dues longer and produced better.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
Mark Carrier is our DB coach.
Hue is our Assistant DB Coach.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 280

I know I said Hue was coaching the secondary, never said he was the DB coach.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3367

Well if there's a bright spot in the possibility that Zim might leave, it's that Marvin was a heck of a DC himself, so maybe he can keep the defense form slipping
Old 12-31-2012, 05:35 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled21 View Post
Well if there's a bright spot in the possibility that Zim might leave, it's that Marvin was a heck of a DC himself, so maybe he can keep the defense form slipping
See Bengals D prior to Zimmer
Old 12-31-2012, 05:37 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25890

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
Agreed.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1784
bengals Re: If Jay Gruden and or Mike Zimmer Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Romel Cronnel Might get fired from the Cheifs... Cant remember if hes a 4-3 or 3-4 guy.
I for one do not want any fat former out of shape old former coaches prowling along our sidelines. we are hammered enough as a franchise, don't need any of that to deal with.I mean, really, how can you ask your players to get in shape and stay that way, when you look like you live at CHRISTIE CREAM ALL DAY.COME ON MAN.And old Andy Reid with that untrimmed upper lip. i mean to me, can you at least get that thing off your lip so you are not tasting yesterdays food all day??? I mean, i wear a mustache and have most of my adult life, but i like to keep my hygiene up to date.it just looks gross to me to have that thing hanging down two inches lower than your lip.If we do have to replace any coaching staff, i hope we get someone that is aggressive and shows some emotion with the players.i want a winner no matter the position.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25256

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyyearfan View Post
I for one do not want any fat former out of shape old former coaches prowling along our sidelines. we are hammered enough as a franchise, don't need any of that to deal with.I mean, really, how can you ask your players to get in shape and stay that way, when you look like you live at CHRISTIE CREAM ALL DAY.COME ON MAN.And old Andy Reid with that untrimmed upper lip. i mean to me, can you at least get that thing off your lip so you are not tasting yesterdays food all day??? I mean, i wear a mustache and have most of my adult life, but i like to keep my hygiene up to date.it just looks gross to me to have that thing hanging down two inches lower than your lip.If we do have to replace any coaching staff, i hope we get someone that is aggressive and shows some emotion with the players.i want a winner no matter the position.
Please start pressing the enter button....or the return button if you just so happen to be a MAC user. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just think your posts would be a lot easier to read if you didn't pull a walltext. I didn't even read it....it makes my eyes act funny.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9859

[quote=BengalsFan024;2752634]I think the love of gruden comes from his HC experience in the Arena and UFL league.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, hes better than Bratkowski was offensively, still not a genious on Belichiks level. I think Jay leaving would be lesser of a blow to the team.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3827

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I wish, but I just read that he has 4 teams interested in him as HC. 4 teams out of 7 openings isn't bad at all, so odds are I don't think he ends up as a DC anywhere.

Quote:
Smith, meanwhile, already has been contacted by four teams interested in having him interview for a head coaching position, a source told ESPN. No interviews are being set up at the moment because most teams are talking to assistants who are available and coaches who are involved with the bye week of the playoffs. Those teams are expected to contact Smith later to set up formal interviews, the source said.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...ssing-playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE D-MAN View Post
The only thing a Bengals fan and a Steelers fan can enjoy at the same time is a Steeler fan's sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
I ****ed a girl from Pittsburgh once. She was a Steelers fan. She was cockeyed and smelled like Rolling Rock and failure.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 274

Promote Marvin to GM, make Zimmer HC, Gruden should be staying, and then get Lovie!!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsRocker View Post
I agree the most likely would be Hue for Gruden.

This would probably keep Alexander around unfortunately.

I personally don't know why any team would hire Jay for a HC job.

Yes I know the Bengals made two back to back playoff appearances. However they are ranked 22nd offense.

Still I feel his body of work is quite limited.
Agree 100%. I have become disappointed by Gruden. The ONE thing that really irks me is how predictible play calling has become. It's like we got Brat light. A guy like Hue might be the best thing for this young "O".
Old 01-01-2013, 10:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2998

Two things I believe will be almost absolutely for certain...

1) Hue Jackson would get elevated to OC.

2) The new DC might come from outside, but it will NOT be anyone who has already been a head coach. And probably won't be anyone who has established a name for themselves.

This is Mikey's way. He NEVER goes after top coaching talent because they demand money and power--two things Mikey protects at all cost.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumetti View Post
Two things I believe will be almost absolutely for certain...

1) Hue Jackson would get elevated to OC.

2) The new DC might come from outside, but it will NOT be anyone who has already been a head coach. And probably won't be anyone who has established a name for themselves.

This is Mikey's way. He NEVER goes after top coaching talent because they demand money and power--two things Mikey protects at all cost.
So we have teams reportedly all over our Coordinators and Mike doesn't go for top talent? Zimmer was a very established coordinator before he got here and then we made him the highest paid DC in the league correct? Gruden was a little out there, but he's done a good job (not great) and has other teams all over him.

How can you explain this if Mike NEVER goes after top coaching talent?

Also while we might vilify Marvin now, he was one of the hottest head coaching names when we hired him.

I don't buy your last statement.

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6031

Pat Shurmur would be my choice for OC. Knows the division, smart dude, knows how get the mid to deep pass game going.

I don't think Jay would leave for anything less than a head coach job, regardless of what his brother does. And I don't think Zimmer is ready to go yet (maybe if we win it all this year).

Some of this is impacted by whether we can win in the playoffs.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since82 View Post
So we have teams reportedly all over our Coordinators and Mike doesn't go for top talent? Zimmer was a very established coordinator before he got here and then we made him the highest paid DC in the league correct? Gruden was a little out there, but he's done a good job (not great) and has other teams all over him.

How can you explain this if Mike NEVER goes after top coaching talent?

Also while we might vilify Marvin now, he was one of the hottest head coaching names when we hired him.

I don't buy your last statement.
Sure do agree. Marvin had the Tampa Bay HC job. He was told as much...when for reasons that befuddled every one, Tampa Bay reneged. He was only one year removed from being the top DC in either league, with Super Bowl experience.

Zimmer was a top DC that got caught up in the Petrino fiasco.....probably something that still haunts him to this day.

Mike Brown has made some coaching faux pas in the past (Dave Shula comes immediately to mind). But, as I mentioned in another post, Brown is stepping further and further away from running this franchise. Look at the last 2-3 drafts and the changes to medical and scouting personnel to see the evidence.

For reasons I can't explain, I've heard that Zimmer deserves a HC position. But, with all the openings after the mass firings yesterday, I've not heard hi name linked to any of those openings. He's a brutally frank person. Owners probably don't want to hear what he has to say.

As they say, it's as important to manage your manager as it is to manage yourself. Nobody wants to kiss any booty, but we all know a certain amount of that, at the right time, is usually necessary to get what we need.

I don't think Zim understands that.