Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19781
Default interesting stat from ESPN

There was an article from ESPN predicting who the Superbowl winner.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...bowl-champions

And in that article, they have a short paragraph describing what each team must do to win their game this week.

Here is the Bengals paragraph:
Quote:
6. Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)
Cincinnati may be silently thanking the Colts for not resting their players as they have the good fortune of facing the Texans in the first round, rather than the tall task of beating Tom Brady and the Patriots. The Bengals will need to rely upon their rushing attack, which ranks No. 2 in the AFC after adjusting for strength of opponents.
Our rushing attack, after adjusting for strength of schedule, is No. 2 in the AFC? I would have NEVER guessed that. Are we actually a good running team, despite the results on the field, or is that a misprint error?

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1823
Default Re: interesting stat from ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
There was an article from ESPN predicting who the Superbowl winner.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...bowl-champions

And in that article, they have a short paragraph describing what each team must do to win their game this week.

Here is the Bengals paragraph:

Our rushing attack, after adjusting for strength of schedule, is No. 2 in the AFC? I would have NEVER guessed that. Are we actually a good running team, despite the results on the field, or is that a misprint error?
The Bengals ran the ball really well for a few weeks, but at times they couldn't run at all. I mean, 14 yards or something like that against Pittsburgh is astounding.

Last edited by SmB-NYC; 01-01-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 779

LawFirm ran for over 1,000 yards this year. Can't see why people dump all over our run game. It's not terrible. It's not wtfpwn, but it's solid.

"Terrible Towels are for wiping, not waving."

Now let's DO this!

#whodey
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega IV View Post
LawFirm ran for over 1,000 yards this year. Can't see why people dump all over our run game. It's not terrible. It's not wtfpwn, but it's solid.
Yea, it's solid but we do rank 31st in 2nd level yards. Basically, our RB doesn't break tackles or make people miss in the 2nd level and will only get what is blocked. That's fine I guess but it can be improved upon a lot. I look forward to this draft when we get a back that can actually force a missed tackle or two.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexal View Post
Yea, it's solid but we do rank 31st in 2nd level yards. Basically, our RB doesn't break tackles or make people miss in the 2nd level and will only get what is blocked. That's fine I guess but it can be improved upon a lot. I look forward to this draft when we get a back that can actually force a missed tackle or two.
Fred posted something about long runs i think we are ranked better than that
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9137

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Hard to say without knowing what adjustments they're doing. Footballoutsiders have a complicated way of analyzing all phases of the game that accounts for strength of opponents and game situation etc., and they have us ranked 14th in rushing, but the 4th best team in the AFC: http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff
I think the most striking thing there is that their rankings have the NFC with most of the good running teams in the league. If it is true that most of the best rushing teams are in the NFC, then we could be one of the better running teams in the AFC, perhaps even number 2 by some measure.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8292
bengals Re: interesting stat from ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega IV View Post
1,000 yards rushing isn't what it used to be Omega.. even less impressive when it's for under 4.0ypc

There were 16 rushers who reached 1,000+ yards in 2012, and of those 16.... BJGE is one of two who have under 4ypc wih the other being Shonn Greene also at 3.9ypc.

0-5 Postseason, 6-19 Prime Time, 93-91-1 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5388

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
1,000 yards rushing isn't what it used to be Omega.. even less impressive when it's for under 4.0ypc

There were 16 rushers who reached 1,000+ yards in 2012, and of those 16.... BJGE is one of two who have under 4ypc wih the other being Shonn Greene also at 3.9ypc.
Benny didn't touch the ball in Balt. He only rushed 15 times in Pitt. Before that he was on fire. When he carries over 15 times, he's been quite productive.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:30 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 957

When I read that I assumed they meant pass rushing, not running the ball.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mc View Post
Hard to say without knowing what adjustments they're doing. Footballoutsiders have a complicated way of analyzing all phases of the game that accounts for strength of opponents and game situation etc., and they have us ranked 14th in rushing, but the 4th best team in the AFC: http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff
I think the most striking thing there is that their rankings have the NFC with most of the good running teams in the league. If it is true that most of the best rushing teams are in the NFC, then we could be one of the better running teams in the AFC, perhaps even number 2 by some measure.
Footballoutsiders has us ranked as not only the 4th best team in the AFC, but the 7th best in the league. I don't really understand how they do their metrics, but it's not all that bad. I personally would not put them that high.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post

BJGE is also not that type of back. Everyone understands that 1000 yards today is not the same as it was 5-10 years ago, 1000 yards is the quota for RB's and BJGE met the quota. I think I speak for most people in saying I didn't expect him to be as productive as he was this season after finding out B.Scott got hurt. I love what BJGE brings to the team but for our offense to move up another notch we need to either use peerman more on offense or get a RB in the draft that can break the long runs.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12880

This may be true. But do we will face #7 rushing defense in the NFL in Houston, and the #2 in Denver when we advance.

Hope we do, but do not see us dominating these two on the ground. But again, hope I am wrong.

Going to have to win these two games with an entire team effort.