Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > College Football

College Football Now all you Buckeyes homers have your own place to talk about your favorite team.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4164
Default Does anyone see a Big Ten Bowl win?

Stanford (11-2) over Wis. (8-5) in Rose Bowl
Georgia (11-2) over Nebr (10-3) in Capital One
S. Carolina (10-2) over Mich (8-4) in Outback
Northwestern (9-3) over Mississippi St (8-4) in Gator
Oklahoma St (7-5) over Purdue (6-6) in Dallas
TCU (7-5) over Mich.St.(6-6) in Wild Wings
Texas Tech (7-5) over Minnesota (6-6) in Meincke

One. One win is all I can see, if they are lucky.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47073
Default Re: Does anyone see a Big Ten Bowl win?

The only ones I would pick would be Northwestern and Mich St.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 20476

Not really, the Big10 overall wasnt that good. Even my beloved Bucks who were undefeated and the best team in the conference was hardly a top-5 team in my book. But that is because their toughest out of conference game was Cal, who isnt that good.

Football is a game of errors. The team that makes the fewest errors in a game usually wins. - Paul Brown
We did some good things today. - Marvin Lewis

Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9082

I think that S.Carolina will have their hands full with Michigan.
I also like Northwestern and Mich State.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6194

Wisconsin has a better chance than anyone cares to admit. We saw how they did with the underdog role against Nebraska.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey21 View Post
Wisconsin has a better chance than anyone cares to admit. We saw how they did with the underdog role against Nebraska.
Stanford's D is a little bit different than Nebraska's Pink Shirt "D".

Here's how I break it down.

0-10% Chance of winning-
Wisconsin
Purdue

11-25% -
Nebraska (in this group only because I feel Georgia might be unmotivated because they aren't in the BCS)
Michigan
Minnesota

26-35%-
Michigan State

36-50%
Northwestern
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 347

Quote:
If Bielema to Arkansas is true, I have a hard time seeing Wisconsin winning the game. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt4584 View Post
If Bielema to Arkansas is true, I have a hard time seeing Wisconsin winning the game. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts.
It is. I revise my earlier comment. This will likely be a Cincinnati sans Kelly rout.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Man o man was the Big Ten bad this year or what!!!

Mich St - ranked in the top 10 to begin the year......they were extremely over rated and a huge disappointment to the big ten this year

Michigan - ranked in the top 10 to begin the year as well before getting BLOWN OUT by a Bama team and humiliating the big ten. Highly overrated.

Wisconsin - ranked in the top 15 and got put outside the top 25 very quick.

Nebraska - the team I really thought would take a step forward with martinez....they didnt. Step back.

Ohio State - the only legitamate team to do anything but still struggled against some teams. Bowl Ineligable so it doesnt really matter

Purdue - was probably the biggest disappointment out of all the schools. They were picked to be the sleeper this year and they just fell flat on their faces. And Coach Hope paid for it with his job.

Northwestern - maybe one of the biggest surprises this year. I love what Coach Fitz is doing up there. I am surprised no one has gone after him for an open coaching position. Quietly turning that program around

Penn State - greatest story out of the Big Ten this year. No one, and I mean no one, thought they would have the year they had. Glad they had a great year with all that crap that went on in the offseason. I hope Obrien can keep it going

Minnesota - quiet team. Not much on them

Iowa - biggest joke in the Big Ten. They went from a big time program about 3-4 years ago to the bottom feeders in the Big Ten. They did beat Northern Illinois thought, and they are going to a BCS game (that shows how big of a joke the BCS is).

Illinois - not very good. They seem to have a good year every now and then but for now, they stink.

Indiana - gave OSU a scare but are middle of the road to below average. Havent been relevant in football for a couple of years now

Big Ten needs to get back to the top conference. They are great in Basketball but **** in football.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
Man o man was the Big Ten bad this year or what!!!

Mich St - ranked in the top 10 to begin the year......they were extremely over rated and a huge disappointment to the big ten this year

Michigan - ranked in the top 10 to begin the year as well before getting BLOWN OUT by a Bama team and humiliating the big ten. Highly overrated.

Wisconsin - ranked in the top 15 and got put outside the top 25 very quick.

Nebraska - the team I really thought would take a step forward with martinez....they didnt. Step back.

Ohio State - the only legitamate team to do anything but still struggled against some teams. Bowl Ineligable so it doesnt really matter

Purdue - was probably the biggest disappointment out of all the schools. They were picked to be the sleeper this year and they just fell flat on their faces. And Coach Hope paid for it with his job.

Northwestern - maybe one of the biggest surprises this year. I love what Coach Fitz is doing up there. I am surprised no one has gone after him for an open coaching position. Quietly turning that program around

Penn State - greatest story out of the Big Ten this year. No one, and I mean no one, thought they would have the year they had. Glad they had a great year with all that crap that went on in the offseason. I hope Obrien can keep it going

Minnesota - quiet team. Not much on them

Iowa - biggest joke in the Big Ten. They went from a big time program about 3-4 years ago to the bottom feeders in the Big Ten. They did beat Northern Illinois thought, and they are going to a BCS game (that shows how big of a joke the BCS is).

Illinois - not very good. They seem to have a good year every now and then but for now, they stink.

Indiana - gave OSU a scare but are middle of the road to below average. Havent been relevant in football for a couple of years now

Big Ten needs to get back to the top conference. They are great in Basketball but **** in football.
For as crappy as the Big 10 was in football this year, they are just as equally good in Basketball. Its a very deep league. Indiana, Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State......good lord, the Big 10 could send 8, maybe 9 teams to the Dance in March.

Can't disagree with anything you just said. Even about my beloved Hawkeyes.....
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 439

Quote:
It is. I revise my earlier comment. This will likely be a Cincinnati sans Kelly rout.
Well, the words is that Barry Alvarez will coach the Rose Bowl. So, I'm not sure if it give them greater chance than with Brett or not. He did have a pretty good bowl record.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1248

Northwestern has best chance. I think the next best is MSU over TCU because that should be a defensive battle, MSU plays pretty good D. That's about it.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79072

the nebraska game is gonna be over after the first quarter...
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47073

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjenn300 View Post
Northwestern has best chance. I think the next best is MSU over TCU because that should be a defensive battle, MSU plays pretty good D. That's about it.

That's where the rest comes into play. A healthy, rested, Laveon Bell will probably go for about 220 yds on 38 carries. I totally see MSU winning this game.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 439

The Big Ten playing the SEC tough right now...except Purdue. A lot of good bowl on air!
Lets go Big Ten!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

good showing by the big ten...i knew nebraska wouldn't be able to hold on, and michigan lost a nailbiter to a good sc team...

props to coach fitzgerald, first bowl win since color tv for the program...

pudue was awful though i must say.

2-4 in bowl games with every team bumped up a peg in competition due to osu not being bowl eligible. probably gonna be 2-5 still better than many thought.

Last edited by VCU Rams; 01-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 11135

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCU Rams View Post
good showing by the big ten...i knew nebraska wouldn't be able to hold on, and michigan lost a nailbiter to a good sc team...

props to coach fitzgerald, first bowl win since color tv for the program...

pudue was awful though i must say.

2-4 in bowl games with every team bumped up a peg in competition due to osu not being bowl eligible. probably gonna be 2-5 still better than many thought.

Bumped up 2 pegs in some cases, don't forget PSU was ineligible too and Wisconsin leap frogged them both for this BCS bowl game.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9082

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I think that S.Carolina will have their hands full with Michigan.
I also like Northwestern and Mich State.
I reckon that I hit that one on the head.
Wish Michigan could have held on (this is the only point in the year I can stand to root for Michigan) but that's how it goes sometimes.
Big 10 is slowly catching up. The Big 10 needs a couple more good coaches to take some positions and they may start bridging the gap with the SEC.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick D from 83 View Post
Bumped up 2 pegs in some cases, don't forget PSU was ineligible too and Wisconsin leap frogged them both for this BCS bowl game.
touche forgot about psu...

probably would have been osu in the rose bowl, nebraska citrus bowl, michigan/penn state/wisconsin outback/gator bowl/heart of dallas bowl (slot em how you want), and everyone else down a peg beneath. northwestern should have had a better bowl game but money counts in this scenario lol..(if they did it by the book aka big ten standing our rose bowl rep wouldn't have even played on new years day)

like the big ten's chances alot more in that scenario obviously

Last edited by VCU Rams; 01-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
The only ones I would pick would be Northwestern and Mich St.
Nice job, Sunset.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCU Rams View Post
touche forgot about psu...

probably would have been osu in the rose bowl, nebraska citrus bowl, michigan/penn state/wisconsin outback/gator bowl/heart of dallas bowl (slot em how you want), and everyone else down a peg beneath. northwestern should have had a better bowl game but money counts in this scenario lol..(if they did it by the book aka big ten standing our rose bowl rep wouldn't have even played on new years day)

like the big ten's chances alot more in that scenario obviously
This has been discussed to death on TV, but I think Ohio State would have been in the national title if they were eligible. The voters showed some intentional blindness toward the team in the polls, as to avoid eventually having to put them at #1.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28284

Quote:
This has been discussed to death on TV, but I think Ohio State would have been in the national title if they were eligible. The voters showed some intentional blindness toward the team in the polls, as to avoid eventually having to put them at #1.

That's true. Urban Meyer basically took over a Jim Tressel-Luke Fickell team and led them to a 12-0 season. Next year I predict another 12-0 season for the Buckeyes but they will win in more dominating fashion as Urban's ideas become more ingrained. It's only a matter of time before Ohio State wins more National Championships.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
That's true. Urban Meyer basically took over a Jim Tressel-Luke Fickell team and led them to a 12-0 season. Next year I predict another 12-0 season for the Buckeyes but they will win in more dominating fashion as Urban's ideas become more ingrained. It's only a matter of time before Ohio State wins more National Championships.
I'm not going to hate on Tressel's teams, but 14-0 should be the expectation for 2013, as it usually is in Columbus. The toughest game on the schedule, by my estimation, will be at Northwestern. They're the only team that won a bowl game, and it will be Urban's first crack at the team. I believe M!ch!g@n peaked last year with the culmination of RichRod's efforts, and Brady Hoke will let them spiral back into what Carr left them with.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Outside of one game (Purdue vs OSU), the Big Ten was a lot more competitive then people thought they would be. They competed very well with the SEC. Their record may have been 1-4 or 1-5, but they were in every single game. Give it another year or two and the BIG TEN will be back to the glory days as one of the best conferences in college football.

Ohio State in the National Championship game next year too!!!

Ohio State vs Texas A&M (mark it down)

Here Us......ROAR!!!