Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2475
Default Draft Clowney

Please draft this kid from South Carolina. He might not be a position of need but he's a beast
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 157
Default Re: Draft Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Happy Pants View Post
Please draft this kid from South Carolina. He might not be a position of need but he's a beast
On track for #1 pick in 2014. Not eligible this year.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 4

He is not draft eligible this year. He would be the #1 pick if he was.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Happy Pants View Post
We'd have to give up our entire draft and then some to move from 32 into the top 3.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 236

Oh my, did he just lay the smack down.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11730

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhodey77 View Post
On track for #1 pick in 2014. Not eligible this year.
Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll go all "Vontaze Burfict" next year and we can just pick him up as an UDFA.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll go all "Vontaze Burfict" next year and we can just pick him up as an UDFA.
he could lose and leg and still be a first rounder
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 700

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eveon-clowney/
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 290

We might have to lose every game next year to get that #1 pick.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
We'd have to give up our entire draft and then some to move from 32 into the top 3.
Nawww, just call the Raiders. We can trade them Tate and Maualuga for their first rounder in 2014.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381

He's a man among boys in the best conference in college football. If anyone deserved to go pro after 2 years of College it's this kid. His forced fumble against Michigan is the best hit I have seen all year.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal9 View Post
He's a man among boys in the best conference in college football. If anyone deserved to go pro after 2 years of College it's this kid. His forced fumble against Michigan is the best hit I have seen all year.
sadly in the NFL they would have called a personal foul
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24924

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalbobZilla View Post
sadly in the NFL they would have called a personal foul
Unnecessary Awesomeness!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 49974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post

I believe that he's from right near here, in Myrtle Beach.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2475

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
I grew up in myrtle beach, cherry grove to be exact
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post
He's from Rock Hill, he went to South Pointe HS. Clowney's high school film is utterly ridiculous.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 536

I've got a questions. Can this guy skip his junior year and play in the CFL & then sign a free agent contract or he need to be draft absolutely? I know the rule is 3 year out of high school, but for the rest...I only bring this up because I've seen somes mention it in the comment section of PFT...
Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkysylvanelf View Post
I've got a questions. Can this guy skip his junior year and play in the CFL & then sign a free agent contract or he need to be draft absolutely? I know the rule is 3 year out of high school, but for the rest...I only bring this up because I've seen somes mention it in the comment section of PFT...
I believe that the CFL requires a player to be four years removed from high school in order to play. At least that is the rule according to this article. However, even if they were able to I don't think it is terribly advantageous as someone will probably play better competition in the NCAA, especially in the SEC, and have better visibility for scouts. This why I don't think we've really seen it. The only real benefit in my mind of the CFL would be getting paid to play ball for a year.

Last edited by lumberBengal; 01-02-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberBengal View Post
I believe that the CFL requires a player to be four years removed from high school in order to play. At least that is the rule according to this article. However, even if they were able to I don't think it is terribly advantageous as someone will probably play better competition in the NCAA, especially in the SEC, and have better visibility for scouts. This why I don't think we've really seen it. The only real benefit in my mind of the CFL would be getting paid to play ball for a year.
Thank you. I never knew about this rules because I really don't follow the CFL draft except for the players drafted from the CIS in Quebec & how our education systems works, it's virtually impossible to play at an University without being removed from high school in four years(Cegep before University, kind of undergraduate & then freshmen & sophomore tend to sit).
About your article, keep a eye on Gaston-Nadon. I may be a homer on this(Laval U represent!) I think there is a slim chance to see him in the NFL one day!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I dig deeper & it's a little bit confusing. The CFL 4 years rules only applies to canadian football players(CIS or NCAA) & it's after the first year of university play.They still can return to school for 5th year even if they were drafted. For americans, each teams put a list on negociations rights on import players who wants to play here.
So Clowney could definitely play here. I'm with you about the exposure, but the level of play is better than the NCAA just for the simple fact that you go against men every down. It's as been said by Cameron Wake and Jerell Freeman that a lot of good players in this league could play in the NFL. Everything is hypothetic, because I too think he'll stay at SC for junior year, but I was just trying to see if there is a crack in the draft like if he play here he could end up being a free agent without ever going to the draft & then sign with whoever he wants.

Last edited by Funkysylvanelf; 01-02-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:59 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkysylvanelf View Post
Well, I dig deeper & it's a little bit confusing. The CFL 4 years rules only applies to canadian football players(CIS or NCAA) & it's after the first year of university play.They still can return to school for 5th year even if they were drafted. For americans, each teams put a list on negociations rights on import players who wants to play here.
So Clowney could definitely play here. I'm with you about the exposure, but the level of play is better than the NCAA just for the simple fact that you go against men every down. It's as been said by Cameron Wake and Jerell Freeman that a lot of good players in this league could play in the NFL. Everything is hypotic, because I too think he'll stay at SC for junior year, but I was just trying to see if there is a crack in the draft like if he play here he could end up being a free agent without ever going to the draft & then sign with whoever he wants.
Ok I was thinking that it may only be for Canadian players when I read the article. I don't doubt what Wake and Freeman say. The CFL has been a league full of a number very talented players with some sort of idiosyncrasy that kept them out of the NFL (size, school, etc.). A number have made the transition though, obviously Doug Flutie, Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Raghib Ismail, and Cameron Wake are some of the first to come to mind. But as said before, someone is playing more NFL-ready talent by playing in the NCAA, especially in the SEC. So in terms of developing your game to go to the next level, it is in the best interest of a top player to stay in the NFL. That and I obviously would like someone like Clowney to stay at South Carolina because I attend the school haha.

On the other hand about Gascon-Nadon, I was actually in Niagara Falls during the Vanier Cup, so I was actually able to watch him play a bit (Congrats on Laval's championship). It was very apparent that he was a level most of the other players on the field. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an invite to training camp at least in the next couple of seasons.

Last edited by lumberBengal; 01-02-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 776

his critics will have a whole year to dissect his every move and he will drop in the rankings, it happens every year. I guarantee he wont be the overall number 1, there's to many critics out there to tear him down.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal9 View Post
Aside from 2 big hits late in the game Lewan shut him down (1 of which came from a TE missing the block). 4 total tackles and zero sacks from the best defensive player in the game is not impressive at all. The game just improved Lewans draft stock a good bit, I doubt he makes it past the Cardinals at 7 now.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20388

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalbobZilla View Post
Man, I feel so bad for Clowney.

He has to remain in college for another year, get a free education (something most kids his age die for), has everything he needs paid for and is treated like a god by a campus of 30,000 people.

I'd hate to be in his shoes right now.

Call me CJD
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30708

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Man, I feel so bad for Clowney.

He has to remain in college for another year, get a free education (something most kids his age die for), has everything he needs paid for and is treated like a god by a campus of 30,000 people.

I'd hate to be in his shoes right now.
Then, his first job out of college will pay him more than most of us will make in 20 years, and that's just his bonus.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.