Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > General Sports Discussion > Other Sports

Other Sports Here's your chance to talk about the happenings going on around the sports world. Hey, even the NBA is up for discussion.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575
Default State of Pennsylvania to sue NCAA

seen that on the ESPN bar at the bottom of the screen. said they were suing the NCAA for how they treated/disciplined Penn State during the Jerry Sandusky controversy.

Quote:
Gov. Tom Corbett said Tuesday he plans to sue the NCAA in federal court over sanctions imposed against Penn State in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal.

Pennsylvania’s Republican governor scheduled a news conference for Wednesday on Penn State’s campus in State College to announce the filing in U.S. District Court in Harrisburg.

The sanctions, agreed to by the university in July, included a $60 million fine that would be used nationally to finance child abuse prevention grants. State and federal lawmakers have raised objections to the money being spent outside Pennsylvania.

A message seeking comment on the expected lawsuit was left with the NCAA on Tuesday.

Last month, a Pennsylvania congressman said he was unhappy with how the NCAA responded to a request from the state’s U.S. House delegation that the whole $60 million in Penn State fines be distributed to causes within the state.

NCAA president Mark Emmert had said in a Dec. 12 letter that a task force had been charged with allocating at least 25 percent of the fine money to programs in Pennsylvania.

Republican Rep. Charlie Dent said days later in a statement that Emmert’s response was “unacceptable and unsatisfactory.”

The NCAA said then that it stood by what Emmert said.

The fine was part of college sports’ governing body’s sanctions on Penn State for its handling of the abuse scandal involving Sandusky, a former assistant under head football coach Joe Paterno.

Sandusky, a former defensive coordinator, was convicted in June on charges he sexually abused 10 boys, some on campus. The 68-year-old was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in state prison.

Eight young men testified against him, describing a range of abuse they said went from grooming and manipulation to fondling, oral sex and anal rape when they were boys.

Sandusky didn’t testify at his trial but has maintained his innocence, acknowledging he showered

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...#ixzz2GlXXsE6J

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9707
Default Re: State of Pennsylvania to sue NCAA

apparently PA supports grown men who rape little boys.

pretty sad
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 45485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeFootball View Post
apparently PA supports grown men who rape little boys.

pretty sad

Where did you read that??

Penn St. is the State University of Pennsylvania, thus it would make sense to use the proceeds of the fines within the state that the atrocities were committed, right?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24513

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

Penn St. is the State University of Pennsylvania, thus it would make sense to use the proceeds of the fines within the state that the atrocities were committed, right?
This.

Plus I do sort of disagree with the penalties laid on PSU in the first place. There were no violations to NCAA rules or policy. A crime was committed and all those involved are either dead or being persecuted by law. I do not like that the NCAA stepped in an bushwhacked the school and football program. I understand these will still occur but I just think the NCAA went too far beyond what it should do given that this wasn't a NCAA issue but actual crime.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8524

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBengal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
This.

Plus I do sort of disagree with the penalties laid on PSU in the first place. There were no violations to NCAA rules or policy. A crime was committed and all those involved are either dead or being persecuted by law. I do not like that the NCAA stepped in an bushwhacked the school and football program. I understand these will still occur but I just think the NCAA went too far beyond what it should do given that this wasn't a NCAA issue but actual crime.
While I was as shocked as anyone else when the allegations came to light and agree that Sandusky,Paterno, and the powers that be should be punished, I disagree with the penalties impossed on the program and school.
I actually like the fact that the Gov. is sueing the NCAA. The NCAA and the federal government have grown much to large for their britches so hopefully this is a start to reigning in some of their power.
Both have grown out of control in their use of power imo. This is/should be handled in the criminal justice system.