Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Why does so many want a WR drafted early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
Glad that you will have no say in who the team drafts. To many young-uns at the wr position already. Need some experience at the position. Sign a vet fa wr and draft one after the third. If they do that the position of wr should be set for a few years. Sanu has way more talent than you would like to give him credit for and Jones is starting to come on.
Ask Detroit about wasting all of their early draft pick on wr's. How did that work out for them?....yeah ok lets foollow their mold.
SANU is nothing more than a SLOT WR. I never said he wasn't talented. But that doesn't solve our problem of having an outside threat.And with the 2 WR's I had us taking both are clearly upgrades over some of the WR's we have now. Their are no veterans that's gonna be in our budget besides someone like Hartline and I don't think Miami is going to let their best WR walk. Jennings,etc are all going to be too much for us.And guys like Hixon and some others have been injury prone their whole career and not worth wasting our time on.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 53242

All the WR's in the world won't help us until we find someone to fill the void created by the loss of Pressley. His blocking and picking up blitzes has been sorely missed.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:57 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
All the WR's in the world won't help us until we find someone to fill the void created by the loss of Pressley. His blocking and picking up blitzes has been sorely missed.
He"ll be back in camp next yr plus i'm sure they'll bring some FB's in as well.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8223

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
Thank you! Andy can't throw it to anyone when he's on his back.
All of the AJ Greens,Calvin Johnsons, and Andre Johnsons in the world won't help you when your QB's butt is sitting on the grass. Just ask Larry Fitzgerald.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:32 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7517

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Drafting a WR is what is needed. Most of your really good teams have alot of options and we don't have that. Teams like the Saints or Packers for example have3 or 4 guys(WR's) who can beat ya at anytime. We don't have that, not even close.

That's why in my latest mock I had us taking Terrence Williams in the 1st and then Stedman Bailey in the 3rd(to replace baby hawk). 2 stud wr's would help us a TON along with drafting someone like Barner.

Some of you guys say well that will hurt sanu/jones as far as development goes. When you have a chance to upgrade your team you do it.
I believe that the challenge is the balancing act between adding offensive & defensive players.

I would love to upgrade both Tate & Whalen with a 1st round WR & a 3rd round WR.

WR1: Green/Jones
WR2: Williams/Bailey
Slot: Sanu/Hawkins

WTS, the Bengals desparately need a Strong Safety that can immediately be a starter. The Bengals desparately need to add several LBs to our line up.

In addition, the defense needs to get younger faster than the offense.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Sanu is never gonna be anything more than a slot guy(which is not a bad thing). Hawkins is ok but S Bailey is clearly an upgrade over him. Jones is just OK for now.
I just got bashed for asking the bengals gods to draft Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey, is that the SBailey your takking about. I think Stedman is a sleeper WR in this draft and the best WR on the boars, Tavon is small but a blaze of speed and cutting ability, Tavon can play WR, RB and return kicks and punts, Bailey is sure handed and fast
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13383

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
I was all for drafting a WR early last year but now that we have Sanu and Jones from that draft I don't see the pressing need for a WR in rounds 1 or 2 this year. I think Sanu and Jones are solid players now that will be even better in their second season in the league. I personally feel that RB, OLB, DE, CB, OT are all bigger needs for this team as of now than WR.
I am spamming this one today. The only thing we are lacking in the WR department is a second possession guy which is 3rd round or later. They would end up being the #5 WR.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13383

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbengal View Post
I just got bashed for asking the bengals gods to draft Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey, is that the SBailey your takking about. I think Stedman is a sleeper WR in this draft and the best WR on the boars, Tavon is small but a blaze of speed and cutting ability, Tavon can play WR, RB and return kicks and punts, Bailey is sure handed and fast
I would not say you were bashed. We already have 2 slot guys in Sanu and Hawkins that appear to be above average. While I think someone like Tavon seems to be better still, we have other positions with greater need.

I think going from poor to very good is better than going from good to very good.

We have diddle at RB.
Nothing at LB.
Old DBs.
Crap at C.

Those positions, IMO, are screaming louder than WR.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I would not say you were bashed. We already have 2 slot guys in Sanu and Hawkins that appear to be above average. While I think someone like Tavon seems to be better still, we have other positions with greater need.

I think going from poor to very good is better than going from good to very good.

We have diddle at RB.
Nothing at LB.
Old DBs.
Crap at C.

Those positions, IMO, are screaming louder than WR.

Sanu and Hawkins are NEITHER above average. Keep on smoking whatever it is you were smoking!

Sanu showed flashes of being good in a few games.Hawkins is not consistent.

Neither have proven to be anything more than average at this point.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
He won't be a rookie next year.
My point still stands though. We lack experience at the WR position and it is showing badly. We are probably the only team in the NFL without a WR who's not still on his rookie deal.
Our longest tenured WR only has 4 years in the league, and most of his experience came from ST play. Do you not think there's a problem with that?

Last edited by shaolinghost; 01-02-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29515

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
My point still stands though. We lack experience at the WR position and it is showing badly. We are probably the only team in the NFL without a WR who's not still on his rookie deal.
Our longest tenured WR only has 4 years in the league, and most of his experience came from ST play. Do you not think there's a problem with that?
They decided they do not want to bring in a veteran receiver. They want AJ to be the unquestioned leader of the group. Now that AJ has another year, and is established as one of the top WRs in the league, they may be more willing to bring in a vet.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
How is it showing badly? We don't have to have a veteran wideout next year. Every guy will have a year under his belt and will work with Dalton more in the offseason.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2432

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
How is it showing badly? We don't have to have a veteran wideout next year. Every guy will have a year under his belt and will work with Dalton more in the offseason.
I agree. We could have used a solid veteran to start THIS season instead of thinking Binns or Tate could do the job. Once the season progressed and the rookies impressed in practice and on the field when given their chances it doesn't make it as big of a need going into next season. Especially after Sanu and Jones will have the off-season to develop more chemistry with Dalton. Future looks bright at the WR spot. Get more pieces to improve the rest of the offense, mainly a play-making RB early on in the draft.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9579

There is absolutely no need to pick a WR in the higher rounds of the draft.

The only players of need on offense are O-linemen and speedy RBs.

A vet player like Jennings or Bowe would be a nice experience boost for our WR core.

Having a vet who knows how to get separation could be a great safety net for Dalton when Green is covered.

There are some on here who have stated that our current WRs continue to run their routes when Dalton moves out of the pocket.

An experienced WR would know what to do in these situations and react accordingly.

Let's bulk up our D even more with LBs/Safeties/CBs. That should be our #1 priorty outside of O-Line and RB.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8223

Marques Colston... 7th rd.
Wes Welker...undrafted.
Cecil Shorts...4th rd.
Danario Alexander...undrafted.
Steve Largent...4th rd.
Brandon Marshall...4th rd.
Brian Hartline...4th rd.
Steve Johnson...7th rd.
Miles Austin...undrafted.
I decided to stop there.This only took me a few minutes to compile off of the top of my head.
This is for those that seem to think that good WR's can only be found in the first 3 rds....you know who you are.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
They decided they do not want to bring in a veteran receiver. They want AJ to be the unquestioned leader of the group. Now that AJ has another year, and is established as one of the top WRs in the league, they may be more willing to bring in a vet.
I get that, but to potentially sacrifice the team's success because you don't want to step on AJ's toes isn't a good way to do it. Make him earn it by being a better leader than the veteran/s. Even AJ could benefit from some veteran tips/tricks.

Quote:
1. The WR2 is a revolving door that's had 4 different starters this season. That's not good for an offense. If we had a solid veteran this would have never happened.

2. None of the guys put in that position are experienced, or have even shown anything other than brief success(Sanu).

3. Dalton has nobody else to throw to. Marvin Jones isn't a solid option at this point despite a lot of people saying he is. Hawkins is too short to be counted on to catch any kind of short passes over the middle. Gresham is inconsistent and drops passes at very inopportune times.

You need a guy with experience that can be counted on to make plays if your #1 target cant. Does this offense have somebody like that? No, we don't.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

I remember a lot of talk last offseason about how Tate or Binns would be the #2. Now Binns plays for the Dolphins, and Tate is strictly ST's.

Sanu was good in the red zone and out of the slot as a possession wr, but did nothing to take attention from AJ. Marvin Jones has a way to go, and I'm in no mood to wait for that to happen, we need playmakers now. I'm all for either Allen or Patterson with our first pick.

I don't see an OLB worth a pick in the first round (that won't already be gone). And a young DE can be found in the mid rounds to replace Geathers.

Final Mock 2012

1. Mark Barron - S
1. Courtney Upshaw - DE/OLB
2. Amini Silatolu - OG
3. Mohammed Sanu - WR
4. Ryan Steed - CB
5. Marcus Forston - DT
5. Tom Compton - OT
5. Ernest Owusu - DE
6. Michael Smith - RB
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7517

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrockj View Post
I remember a lot of talk last offseason about how Tate or Binns would be the #2. Now Binns plays for the Dolphins, and Tate is strictly ST's.

Sanu was good in the red zone and out of the slot as a possession wr, but did nothing to take attention from AJ. Marvin Jones has a way to go, and I'm in no mood to wait for that to happen, we need playmakers now. I'm all for either Allen or Patterson with our first pick.

I don't see an OLB worth a pick in the first round (that won't already be gone). And a young DE can be found in the mid rounds to replace Geathers.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/...innati-bengals

I remember a lot of talk last offseason about how Gresham would be the #2 passing option.

Viola! He was. In ever category except YAC where he was #1.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrockj View Post

Who is to say that Patterson or Allen pick it up right away? Patterson at this point is a one trick pony. Will he improve during TC who knows? Don't really know much about Allen other than highlights, but he doesn't blow me away as far being a upgrade. Not to mention either has to beat out Sanu and Jones in camp. So you will have to wait where you want to or not
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
VIP Member

Terrence Williams or DeAndre Hopkins is who I'd take in the 1st if they decide to take a WR.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

Quote:
Who is to say that Patterson or Allen pick it up right away? Patterson at this point is a one trick pony. Will he improve during TC who knows? Don't really know much about Allen other than highlights, but he doesn't blow me away as far being a upgrade. Not to mention either has to beat out Sanu and Jones in camp. So you will have to wait where you want to or not
I completely understand, but how many seasons have we given WR's the chance to develop, and it hasn't happened. Tate hasn't got any better. Plus, couldn't this be said about every position?

Final Mock 2012

1. Mark Barron - S
1. Courtney Upshaw - DE/OLB
2. Amini Silatolu - OG
3. Mohammed Sanu - WR
4. Ryan Steed - CB
5. Marcus Forston - DT
5. Tom Compton - OT
5. Ernest Owusu - DE
6. Michael Smith - RB