Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2549
Default Jungle Rock Mock Numero Uno

I usually wait until the season is over to fill out a mock but I've been on the site more than usual lately with anticipation for Saturdays big game so thought I would go ahead and make one. Only 4 rounds for now.

Round 1 - Giovani Bernard - Running Back - Finally the explosive threat at RB that we have been lacking for several years. Would split time with BJGE next season and also be a good return guy. I would love to wait til round 2 and get him but I have a feeling if we wait on him someone will snatch him up just like last season when the Buccaneers and Giants went back to back with Martin and Wilson at the end of the first.

Round 2a - Alex Okafor - Defensive End - How important it is to draft a Defensive End this early will depend on Michael Johnson and whether or not he is re-signed. Either way having another guy that improves/maintains the strength of this team is a positive for next season and into the future.

Round 2b - Kenny Vaccaro - Safety - The elusive Safety pick that we all have been waiting for the last three or four years. Reggie Nelson and Vaccaro together at Safety is a scary thought for opposing teams.

Round 3 - Sean Porter - Outside Linebacker - A bit of a down year for Porter compared to the previous season but he is an athletic linebacker with a ton of upside and could give us another pass rushing threat from someone that is not a defensive lineman for a change.

Round 4 - Rick Wagner - Offensive Tackle - Another Wisconsin lineman for depth at Offensive Tackle. I would like to see Andre Smith signed long term but if he commands to much money I would hope at the least we franchise tag him and draft someone for depth/ as a potential replacement for the future if a long term deal isn't then worked out.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30061
Default Re: Jungle Rock Mock Numero Uno

1. We don't need a RB enough to reach for one in 1. I'll be happy just to add a speed back later in the draft. I would like this pick more at 37.

2a. Great pick if he lasts that long. I have my doubts.

2b. Like it.

3. Not familiar with Porter. Is he an OLB, or a conversion DE? We don't need a lot of pass rush from our LBs because we get so much from our line. Can he cover a TE?

4. Solid pick.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
1. We don't need a RB enough to reach for one in 1. I'll be happy just to add a speed back later in the draft. I would like this pick more at 37.

2a. Great pick if he lasts that long. I have my doubts.

2b. Like it.

3. Not familiar with Porter. Is he an OLB, or a conversion DE? We don't need a lot of pass rush from our LBs because we get so much from our line. Can he cover a TE?

4. Solid pick.
Porter is really athletic and his sack numbers were down from moving from a 3-4 defense as OLB to being an OLB in a 4-3. Numbers down because he was in coverage more and still played well. As for Bernard in the first he is far and away my favorite RB in this class and picking late in the 1st round is not a reach for a guy with his talent. I would love to get him at #37 as well but if the coaches end up liking him as much as I do then hopefully they wouldn't risk losing him in what might be a 10-15 pick difference.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Love the Porter pick.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3274

Porter is not a converted DE, but a converted 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 OLB. He is good in coverage and can rush the passer better than I realized. I must admit, I've been portraying him more as a 4-3 WILL based on this year's stats, but he may fit well as our SAM too.
Career stats: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...-porter-1.html

If we haven't already addressed our LB situation in the draft and he's still there in round 3, get him.

Don't know if Okafor falls to round 2 with his stellar bowl game, but if he does, awesome.

I too think Bernard is a reach in 1 at the moment, but at least if it happened, the Bengals are showing they realize it's a weakness and are trying to upgrade.