Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 628
Default Gresham out wide?

I'll admit I haven't been able to see as many games as I would have liked this season. I've listened to 3-4 and followed another 2-3 on nfl.com's pbp services. So by saying this I could be way off base...

Last season we saw Gresham split out wide and run several basic routes (fades, slants, and screens) from a WR position with a great degree of effectiveness. I don't recall seeing this as much (at all) this season.

I would think that it would be a great way to get some mismatches by isolating Gresham on a smaller corner. I also think that putting Gresham and Green on the same side with Gresh out wide and Green in the slot would eliminate some double coverage or give 1/1 matchups on the backside.

So have I just missed it, or have we gotten away from Gresham out wide?

Describing my feelings on being a Bengal's fan.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:11 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33476
Default Re: Gresham out wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since82 View Post
I'll admit I haven't been able to see as many games as I would have liked this season. I've listened to 3-4 and followed another 2-3 on nfl.com's pbp services. So by saying this I could be way off base...

Last season we saw Gresham split out wide and run several basic routes (fades, slants, and screens) from a WR position with a great degree of effectiveness. I don't recall seeing this as much (at all) this season.

I would think that it would be a great way to get some mismatches by isolating Gresham on a smaller corner. I also think that putting Gresham and Green on the same side with Gresh out wide and Green in the slot would eliminate some double coverage or give 1/1 matchups on the backside.

It happens occansionally..

My favorite play was when they had Gresham and Green blocking for a Hawkins screen.

In addition to this... We need more plays where we get the ball into Tates hands and let him run for yards.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7589
bengals Re: Gresham out wide?

Quote:

Gresham just simply isn't thrown to enough as a whole. Needs like 20 more catches a year, and more redzone targets. He's a 6'5" 260lb man who can run and jump well. Throw it up and let him fight for it.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11426

If I remember correctly, Gresham had a long TD in Cleveland while lining up outside this year.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalrocker View Post
If I remember correctly, Gresham had a long TD in Cleveland while lining up outside this year.
One of the games I missed.

I hope we can see some more of that this week.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Gresham just simply isn't thrown to enough as a whole. Needs like 20 more catches a year, and more redzone targets. He's a 6'5" 260lb man who can run and jump well. Throw it up and let him fight for it.
Winner.............

Playmakers can only make plays with a ball in their hand.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 372

I think this is a game where Gresh coould have a really big game. They just put one of their LB's on IR.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 574

Quote:

Hes got about 15 more catches than last season...so they have used him more.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I think this is a game where Gresh coould have a really big game. They just put one of their LB's on IR.
If Gruden can't figure out how to get Gresh and the WRs in winnable situations, I have little hope for his future as an OC.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3670

Quote:
Not trying to be funny, but eliminating the drops might do that. I know he didn't drop twenty, but he did drop a bunch, and that can make a QB hesitant to pull the trigger in his direction.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10891

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Winner.............

Playmakers can only make plays with a ball in their hand.
Playmakers have to catch the balls thrown there way to be playmakers too. If he;d fix his concentration issues, he could be awesome receiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkbengals View Post
Not trying to be funny, but eliminating the drops might do that. I know he didn't drop twenty, but he did drop a bunch, and that can make a QB hesitant to pull the trigger in his direction.
^^^ This.

He's dropped a significant number of balls and fumbled it a few times too. Hard blame the team for being cautious with him.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7589
bengals Re: Gresham out wide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalzHacker View Post
Playmakers have to catch the balls thrown there way to be playmakers too. If he;d fix his concentration issues, he could be awesome receiving.

^^^ This.

He's dropped a significant number of balls and fumbled it a few times too. Hard blame the team for being cautious with him.
AJ has a TON of drops this season, particularly in the second half of the year. Doesn't mean that they stopped throwing to the guy. As for the fumbles, AJ has just as many lost as Gresham.... 1. Now are AJ and Gresham the same caliber of talent? Of course not. Is Gresham a lot more talented than his involvement in the passing game implies?

Absolutely.

I am still not convinced this franchise even know how to properly use a receiving TE. Name me the last good receiving TE the Bengals had before Gresham. I believe I recall that his rookie year, his 52 receptions was the most by a Bengals TE in like 20-30 years? I may be mistaken on that, but any way you look at it, the Bengals have never had this talented of a TE, and they simply don't know how to use him. If they did, they wouldn't have him constantly stay in to block, let alone 1-on-1 against people like Cameron Wake... he is not Reggie Kelly.

0-5, 7-18, 90-90-1... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
AJ has a TON of drops this season, particularly in the second half of the year. Doesn't mean that they stopped throwing to the guy. As for the fumbles, AJ has just as many lost as Gresham.... 1. Now are AJ and Gresham the same caliber of talent? Of course not. Is Gresham a lot more talented than his involvement in the passing game implies?

Absolutely.

I am still not convinced this franchise even know how to properly use a receiving TE. Name me the last good receiving TE the Bengals had before Gresham. I believe I recall that his rookie year, his 52 receptions was the most by a Bengals TE in like 20-30 years? I may be mistaken on that, but any way you look at it, the Bengals have never had this talented of a TE, and they simply don't know how to use him. If they did, they wouldn't have him constantly stay in to block, let alone 1-on-1 against people like Cameron Wake... he is not Reggie Kelly.
I thought that when we drafted Orson Charles we were going to be a little more creative with the TE's, but I don't see that in the offense at all. Perhaps they have too many limitations as blockers to be used as hybrids like Gronkowski and Hernandez, but they both can (and should) be more involved in the passing game IMO.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10891

Quote:

Absolutely.

Sure AJ has dropped a few too, but Gresh is also turning into a "bad timing" penalty machine and we keep hearing about his struggles with blocking, something he was supposed to have had done pat by now..

Look, I like Gresh, but he's NOT having a good year. Not just because we're not throwing him the ball enough and not because of all the "worst possible time" bad drops he's had, but he's not playing like a 1st rounder.

Last edited by BengalzHacker; 01-02-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5189

Quote:

Absolutely.

Gresham is 7th in the nfl for TE in catches that pretty good now imagine if he caught all the dropped balls. They are using him fine ,but some around here just complain to complain. I bet he has dropped 15-20 passes which would have got him in the top 5.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9962

Look there has to be an explanation(s).

Either the gameplan/schemes are poor for our TEs

They can't get open

The O-line desperately needs help with extra blocking

Dalton is not looking to TE routes when he drops back

Whatever it is... they should have figured it out and fixed it by now.

There is absolutely no reason for them to be under-utilized at this point of the season.

Not with the obvious attention given to AJ usually being on the same side of the field as Gresham.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2106

For someone 6'5 260 he plays much smaller. He needs to learn to take advantage of his size more. Instead of putting him out wide I think the focus should be made on getting him open over the middle or out in the flat.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1359

Quote:

^^^ This.

Agreed.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1915

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalwdey1 View Post
Hes got about 15 more catches than last season...so they have used him more.
add to that the 15-20 drops and there you go!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

^^^ This.

I understand be we hardly use him in the passing offense unless its as a dump off guy then he fights for his yard.. We need him attacking the SEEMs this weekend especially with houston on their 3rd string MLB
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2754

First, Gresh has to catch the ball. Seems like he catches the hard ones and drops the easy ones.

Second, they need to quite trying to make him a blocker and have him one on one with these DE's. It's a penalty waiting to happen.

Third, Gruden needs to learn how to use him and the other players. Hawk is running in's, slants, and crossing routes on 3rd down, Gresh is running quick screens, outs, and flies?

3rd down should be Gresh/AJ time with a check to a RB or Hawk.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689

Quote:

They seem to split him out when Orson Charles is in the game too. They must like having atleast 1 TE in to block.