Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Bengals Mike's Avatar
Bengals Mike Bengals Mike is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dundas, ON
Posts: 7,074
Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
If hes healthy enough to play.... Really if hes still hurt and tries to play he might not go out in the blaze of glory he expects.



I ment as in a Murder of Ravens but apparently a group of ravens is called An "Unkindness"
Just him taking the field and in uniform can be the spark that ignites the Ravens, obviously he's not going to have a career day but I can see the team rallying around his presence in the same way they did to the Bengals after Art Modell passed away - I'm not saying blowout win but they could play at another level like the Colts did in their games with Pagano
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
STC's Avatar
STC STC is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Halls of Montezuma
Posts: 6,081
Rep Points: 37904
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Everyone in the media slobbers all over Ray about how he's this great leader of men and mentor and this and that, etc. Everyone forgets about his little incident. Kind of like how they forget Kobe is a rapist. It's sad that all you have to do is win and shady people become innocent in the court of public opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Bengals Mike's Avatar
Bengals Mike Bengals Mike is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dundas, ON
Posts: 7,074
Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Everyone in the media slobbers all over Ray about how he's this great leader of men and mentor and this and that, etc. Everyone forgets about his little incident. Kind of like how they forget Kobe is a rapist. It's sad that all you have to do is win and shady people become innocent in the court of public opinion.
Well look at those Ravens teams and how else do you explain why they've won so much in the last decade? it sure wasn't because of their offense and he's generally well respected across the league by players and fans alike. By no means was what he did before right at all but you talk about off field incidents, something like that would be a tremendous distraction and Ray managed to win a Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP in the year right after that and he's cleaned himself up from any trouble from that thanks to his faith

but a doublestandard applies when we have someone like Adam Jones on the Bengals who participated in almost the same act and has been in trouble repeatedly after his big incident but he's ok because he's a Bengal and deserved his repeated chances and Ray Lewis isn't ok because he got in trouble once and cleaned up his act after it? Personally I'm glad to see them both doing well but I dont hold a grudge with either of them for their incidents with the law before and I'm glad to see they've both improved themselves from it althought it took Jones a few times before he finally did it
__________________

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 01-02-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM
STC's Avatar
STC STC is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Halls of Montezuma
Posts: 6,081
Rep Points: 37904
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
Well look at those Ravens teams and how else do you explain why they've won so much in the last decade? it sure wasn't because of their offense and he's generally well respected across the league by players and fans alike. By no means was what he did before right at all but you talk about off field incidents, something like that would be a tremendous distraction and Ray managed to win a Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP in the year right after that and he's cleaned himself up from any trouble from that thanks to his faith

but a doublestandard applies when we have someone like Adam Jones on the Bengals who participated in almost the same act and has been in trouble repeatedly after his big incident but he's ok because he's a Bengal and deserved his repeated chances and Ray Lewis isn't ok because he got in trouble once and cleaned up his act after it?
I'm not saying he wasn't a great leader, I'm just saying that winning makes people forget.

I didn't say anything about Adam Jones, and didn't forget what he did either. As a matter of fact, just the other day I was just telling someone unfamiliar with him about all his endeavors.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Bengals Mike's Avatar
Bengals Mike Bengals Mike is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dundas, ON
Posts: 7,074
Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I'm not saying he wasn't a great leader, I'm just saying that winning makes people forget.

I didn't say anything about Adam Jones, and didn't forget what he did either. As a matter of fact, just the other day I was just telling someone unfamiliar with him about all his endeavors.
my bad, I know you didnt mention Jones specifically but its a generalization of how some people cut up Ray Lewis and look the other way on Adam Jones, I mean that's a glass house analogy at its finest right there

To me Ray has done so much in his football career where the first thing I think of when someone mentions him is his football career and not his incident, whereas with Adam Jones he hasnt done enough or so much where Las Vegas is still the first thing people think of when it comes to him
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM
STC's Avatar
STC STC is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Halls of Montezuma
Posts: 6,081
Rep Points: 37904
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
my bad, I know you didnt mention Jones specifically but its a generalization of how some people cut up Ray Lewis and look the other way on Adam Jones, I mean that's a glass house analogy at its finest right there

To me Ray has done so much in his football career where the first thing I think of when someone mentions him is his football career and not his incident, whereas with Adam Jones he hasnt done enough or so much where Las Vegas is still the first thing people think of when it comes to him
That's kind of what I was getting at. IF Adam Jones played to the level that some of the all-time greats have reached, people would think about his football career first. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong about it, I just know I don't forget those things when the media portrays 52 as a God.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Bengals Mike's Avatar
Bengals Mike Bengals Mike is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dundas, ON
Posts: 7,074
Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
That's kind of what I was getting at. IF Adam Jones played to the level that some of the all-time greats have reached, people would think about his football career first. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong about it, I just know I don't forget those things when the media portrays 52 as a God.
Well it doesnt change what happened before and again of course it wasn't right, but he's done so much on and off the field where it's changed his image for the better both on and off the field where on the field he's considered one of the greatest players at his position ever and off the field he's popular with his endorsements and charitable work and his faith, I mean something like his incident could have dogged him for his entire career and his life and not only has he not allowed it to affect but he's made himself a better person from it too
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
STC's Avatar
STC STC is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Halls of Montezuma
Posts: 6,081
Rep Points: 37904
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
Well it doesnt change what happened before and again of course it wasn't right, but he's done so much on and off the field where it's changed his image for the better both on and off the field where on the field he's considered one of the greatest players at his position ever and off the field he's popular with his endorsements and charitable work and his faith, I mean something like his incident could have dogged him for his entire career and his life and not only has he not allowed it to affect but he's made himself a better person from it too
You're right. They could use him as an example of how to turn things around instead of just pretending like nothing ever happened.

By the way, I wasn't really paying attention to your sig before. That play makes me very happy every time I see it. Although its something I could very much see the Bengals of old pulling off.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Bengals Mike's Avatar
Bengals Mike Bengals Mike is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dundas, ON
Posts: 7,074
Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
You're right. They could use him as an example of how to turn things around instead of just pretending like nothing ever happened.

By the way, I wasn't really paying attention to your sig before. That play makes me very happy every time I see it. Although its something I could very much see the Bengals of old pulling off.
Well that's another way Ray could be viewed, actually that's the most positive way I look at Adam Jones as he was a speaker at one of the rookie symposiums this year and he spoke on behaviour and his experiences basically saying he was what not to do off the field

That play was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in a football game, I've had it on my sig since thanksgiving and I always get a kick out of it even seeing it every day
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Chop Block Chop Block is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,777
Rep Points: 50
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

i dislike that guy he's a showboat and try to act like he's king of the world..looking at the camera he give's is ugly face ..a murder goes in the HOF a long with drug dealers..in this i do not trust..:frown..: we have not heard that last of him..you can bank on that..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Storm is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florence
Posts: 4,046
Rep Points: 4712
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Everyone in the media slobbers all over Ray about how he's this great leader of men and mentor and this and that, etc. Everyone forgets about his little incident. Kind of like how they forget Kobe is a rapist. It's sad that all you have to do is win and shady people become innocent in the court of public opinion.

Not just winning, becoming famous erases peoples memories of crimes

Ted Kennedy and Roman Pulanski comes to mind
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM
ishouldbegm's Avatar
ishouldbegm ishouldbegm is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: south jersey
Posts: 9,168
Rep Points: 8825
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

damn i actually enjoyed watching him over the years
__________________
1st Jimmie Ward S
2nd Jordan Tripp LB
3rd Cameron Fleming T
4th Jeremy Hill RB
5th Bene Benwikere CB
6th Eathyn Manumaleuna DT
6th Russell Bodine C
7th Ethan Westbrooks DE
7th James Morris LB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Qua Cox CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 PM
coachmcneil71's Avatar
coachmcneil71 coachmcneil71 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tin pan alley!
Posts: 2,464
Rep Points: 6651
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Ray has been a great football player, no doubt, but I have it on very good authority that he did get away with murder in ATL.
It's funny because he suddenly turned his "life over to Jesus" immediately after his acquittal.
I believe my source on this subject and am convinced that he IS a murderer.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Fan_in_Kettering's Avatar
Fan_in_Kettering Fan_in_Kettering is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 7,811
Rep Points: 24978
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

This cuts so deep...
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Sher Khan's Avatar
Sher Khan Sher Khan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,358
Rep Points: 6471
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

The Statute of Limitations was up.
__________________


October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Bryan's Avatar
Bryan Bryan is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,069
Rep Points: 7225
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurgan74 View Post
I would not mind it at all if Marvin offered Ray a position with the team as a scout or an assistant.

Ray's gameday preparation is legendary.
How about as a LB coach?
__________________

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Frenchman's Avatar
Frenchman Frenchman is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seymour TN
Posts: 314
Rep Points: 259
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Seventeen years is a lot! As usually it is 3-5 years for the average NFL player!
__________________
Happy Easter Bunnies!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Redfox's Avatar
Redfox Redfox is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: (OHIO)
Posts: 852
Rep Points: 2245
bengals Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dalton Gang View Post
Pretty big news. I won't miss MurderRay
He helped murder a man so i want miss the SOB.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.