Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Around the NFL

Around the NFL Discuss the other 31 teams and the NFL in general.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8468
Default Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
If hes healthy enough to play.... Really if hes still hurt and tries to play he might not go out in the blaze of glory he expects.

I ment as in a Murder of Ravens but apparently a group of ravens is called An "Unkindness"
Just him taking the field and in uniform can be the spark that ignites the Ravens, obviously he's not going to have a career day but I can see the team rallying around his presence in the same way they did to the Bengals after Art Modell passed away - I'm not saying blowout win but they could play at another level like the Colts did in their games with Pagano
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 37904

Everyone in the media slobbers all over Ray about how he's this great leader of men and mentor and this and that, etc. Everyone forgets about his little incident. Kind of like how they forget Kobe is a rapist. It's sad that all you have to do is win and shady people become innocent in the court of public opinion.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Everyone in the media slobbers all over Ray about how he's this great leader of men and mentor and this and that, etc. Everyone forgets about his little incident. Kind of like how they forget Kobe is a rapist. It's sad that all you have to do is win and shady people become innocent in the court of public opinion.
Well look at those Ravens teams and how else do you explain why they've won so much in the last decade? it sure wasn't because of their offense and he's generally well respected across the league by players and fans alike. By no means was what he did before right at all but you talk about off field incidents, something like that would be a tremendous distraction and Ray managed to win a Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP in the year right after that and he's cleaned himself up from any trouble from that thanks to his faith

but a doublestandard applies when we have someone like Adam Jones on the Bengals who participated in almost the same act and has been in trouble repeatedly after his big incident but he's ok because he's a Bengal and deserved his repeated chances and Ray Lewis isn't ok because he got in trouble once and cleaned up his act after it? Personally I'm glad to see them both doing well but I dont hold a grudge with either of them for their incidents with the law before and I'm glad to see they've both improved themselves from it althought it took Jones a few times before he finally did it

Last edited by Bengals Mike; 01-02-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Mike View Post
Well look at those Ravens teams and how else do you explain why they've won so much in the last decade? it sure wasn't because of their offense and he's generally well respected across the league by players and fans alike. By no means was what he did before right at all but you talk about off field incidents, something like that would be a tremendous distraction and Ray managed to win a Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP in the year right after that and he's cleaned himself up from any trouble from that thanks to his faith

but a doublestandard applies when we have someone like Adam Jones on the Bengals who participated in almost the same act and has been in trouble repeatedly after his big incident but he's ok because he's a Bengal and deserved his repeated chances and Ray Lewis isn't ok because he got in trouble once and cleaned up his act after it?
I'm not saying he wasn't a great leader, I'm just saying that winning makes people forget.

I didn't say anything about Adam Jones, and didn't forget what he did either. As a matter of fact, just the other day I was just telling someone unfamiliar with him about all his endeavors.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I'm not saying he wasn't a great leader, I'm just saying that winning makes people forget.

I didn't say anything about Adam Jones, and didn't forget what he did either. As a matter of fact, just the other day I was just telling someone unfamiliar with him about all his endeavors.
my bad, I know you didnt mention Jones specifically but its a generalization of how some people cut up Ray Lewis and look the other way on Adam Jones, I mean that's a glass house analogy at its finest right there

To me Ray has done so much in his football career where the first thing I think of when someone mentions him is his football career and not his incident, whereas with Adam Jones he hasnt done enough or so much where Las Vegas is still the first thing people think of when it comes to him
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
my bad, I know you didnt mention Jones specifically but its a generalization of how some people cut up Ray Lewis and look the other way on Adam Jones, I mean that's a glass house analogy at its finest right there

To me Ray has done so much in his football career where the first thing I think of when someone mentions him is his football career and not his incident, whereas with Adam Jones he hasnt done enough or so much where Las Vegas is still the first thing people think of when it comes to him
That's kind of what I was getting at. IF Adam Jones played to the level that some of the all-time greats have reached, people would think about his football career first. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong about it, I just know I don't forget those things when the media portrays 52 as a God.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
That's kind of what I was getting at. IF Adam Jones played to the level that some of the all-time greats have reached, people would think about his football career first. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong about it, I just know I don't forget those things when the media portrays 52 as a God.
Well it doesnt change what happened before and again of course it wasn't right, but he's done so much on and off the field where it's changed his image for the better both on and off the field where on the field he's considered one of the greatest players at his position ever and off the field he's popular with his endorsements and charitable work and his faith, I mean something like his incident could have dogged him for his entire career and his life and not only has he not allowed it to affect but he's made himself a better person from it too
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Well it doesnt change what happened before and again of course it wasn't right, but he's done so much on and off the field where it's changed his image for the better both on and off the field where on the field he's considered one of the greatest players at his position ever and off the field he's popular with his endorsements and charitable work and his faith, I mean something like his incident could have dogged him for his entire career and his life and not only has he not allowed it to affect but he's made himself a better person from it too
You're right. They could use him as an example of how to turn things around instead of just pretending like nothing ever happened.

By the way, I wasn't really paying attention to your sig before. That play makes me very happy every time I see it. Although its something I could very much see the Bengals of old pulling off.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
You're right. They could use him as an example of how to turn things around instead of just pretending like nothing ever happened.

By the way, I wasn't really paying attention to your sig before. That play makes me very happy every time I see it. Although its something I could very much see the Bengals of old pulling off.
Well that's another way Ray could be viewed, actually that's the most positive way I look at Adam Jones as he was a speaker at one of the rookie symposiums this year and he spoke on behaviour and his experiences basically saying he was what not to do off the field

That play was the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in a football game, I've had it on my sig since thanksgiving and I always get a kick out of it even seeing it every day
Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 50

i dislike that guy he's a showboat and try to act like he's king of the world..looking at the camera he give's is ugly face ..a murder goes in the HOF a long with drug dealers..in this i do not trust..:frown..: we have not heard that last of him..you can bank on that..
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4712

Quote:

Not just winning, becoming famous erases peoples memories of crimes

Ted Kennedy and Roman Pulanski comes to mind
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8825

damn i actually enjoyed watching him over the years
4th Jeremy Hill RB
5th Bene Benwikere CB
6th Eathyn Manumaleuna DT
6th Russell Bodine C
7th Ethan Westbrooks DE
7th James Morris LB
UDFA Keith Smith LB
UDFA Carrington Byndom CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
UDFA Bryn Renner QB
UDFA Isaiah Burse WR
UDFA Chaz Sutton DE
UDFA Qua Cox CB
UDFA Kapri Bibbs RB
http://youtu.be/TOFXFOvqlXE
A wise man learns from his mistakes but a wiser man learns from other peoples mistakes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6651

Ray has been a great football player, no doubt, but I have it on very good authority that he did get away with murder in ATL.
It's funny because he suddenly turned his "life over to Jesus" immediately after his acquittal.
I believe my source on this subject and am convinced that he IS a murderer.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 24978

This cuts so deep...
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6471

The Statute of Limitations was up.

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7225

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurgan74 View Post
I would not mind it at all if Marvin offered Ray a position with the team as a scout or an assistant.

Ray's gameday preparation is legendary.
How about as a LB coach?

Best Run I've Ever Seen

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for thou art with me thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Mahatma Gandhi
Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 259

Seventeen years is a lot! As usually it is 3-5 years for the average NFL player!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2245
bengals Re: Ray Lewis to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dalton Gang View Post
Pretty big news. I won't miss MurderRay
He helped murder a man so i want miss the SOB.