Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19930
Default Golf

I got some golf clubs for Christmas. I received Taylor Made Rocket Ballz woods. I am going to buy the irons myself.

That being said, where is the best place to buy such a thing? I dont really play golf and they were a gift from my dad. I am going to take it up this summer/spring.

I have been looking on Ebay and the prices there are much more affordable then buying direct from Taylor Made. Below is the link of the ones that I am looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TaylorMa...item2ec4e69002

Anyone have any experience buying clubs from ebay? Is it legit? Are there any other golf websites I can look at for better pricing?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 56334
Default Re: Golf

If you want to be good you need to get fitted. Go to a golf galaxy and swing some of the used clubs. There are so many different kinds depending on skill level.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANJAXED View Post
If you want to be good you need to get fitted. Go to a golf galaxy and swing some of the used clubs. There are so many different kinds depending on skill level.
This.
to preach to the Gentiles
the unfathomable riches of Christ" (Ephesians 3:8)

Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5310

Try http://www.golfsmith.com

I haven't personally bought from there, but I have heard good reviews of that site. Before you buy though, I would go to a store to make sure that the clubs you want to purchase are a good match for you. Golf's a great game. I have played it for decades, and it's always a different experience each time on the course.

Steeler Eater, thank you for ^^^^^^. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
This is what I did. I think it works better than buying without really knowing whether it works for you or not.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19930

Quote:
I would like to get a set matching the drivers that I have. Is is possible to buy them online and then take them to have them fitted?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34081

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I would like to get a set matching the drivers that I have. Is is possible to buy them online and then take them to have them fitted?
Its all about getting the right height for your swing.. I would find that out before ordering.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Having clubs custom fit to you is a lot easier to have done before you buy. It's easier to make something your size than to 'hem' something to fit you.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 56334

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyBengal View Post
I some cases you could spend upwards of $20+ a club to get them fitted which can sometimes be more then the set themselves!

I pieced mine together with a rag tag of clubs and still play better then my buddies.

Simplicity is key in my opinion,

I literally only play with a 'borrowed' Callaway driver, titlest putter, callaway hybrid, a knock off PW & a PING 7 iron I found on the side of the road.

I will usually shoot in the mid 80s.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
I some cases you could spend upwards of $20+ a club to get them fitted which can sometimes be more then the set themselves!

I pieced mine together with a rag tag of clubs and still play better then my buddies.

I literally only play with a 'borrowed' Callaway driver, titlest putter, callaway hybrid, a knock off PW & a PING 7 iron I found on the side of the road.

My set of Callaways cost way too much money, and you're probably right. People blame the clubs a lot, but it's more or less always the golfer. I have kept my clubs for many years though, and I've gotten a lot of use out of them. I don't think I would buy a new set anytime soon. I like my clubs. I'm going to the Masters this year, and I kidded my son that I'm going to take my driver along with me to show those guys up.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 27582

All the posters who said "Get fitted!" are absolutely right. The RocketBallz driver and fairway woods are excellent but if you're going to get the matching irons, the RocketBladez are better than the RocketBallz irons. The RocketBallz irons have too much offset but the RocketBladez are just right. Golf Galaxy can fit you and get you the right lie and flex on those irons, too, and it helps.

For example, I still use my 1990 Mizuno irons but they have modern Rifle shafts in them. The newest shafts are so much better than old ones and frequency matching allows each one to swing the same: Your 3-iron will have the same dynamic action as your 9-iron, for example. Look at the grips, too, and make sure you get the right diameter. Even though my hands are small, I use a slightly oversize grips so I can swing hard without hitting a hard hook.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 27582

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfanatic View Post
I'm going to the Masters this year, and I kidded my son that I'm going to take my driver along with me to show those guys up.
Enjoy The Masters! I've been there three times and the place is spectacular. Is this your first time to Augusta National?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
Enjoy The Masters! I've been there three times and the place is spectacular. Is this your first time to Augusta National?
I have been to Augusta National before, but I've never been to The Masters. This was a Christmas gift/Father's Day gift from my children; although just my son and me are going. I'm looking forward to it. I always watch it on television.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 79072

Quote:
if he is new to golf getting fitted doesn't do a damn thing...i used to fit people for clubs and if i noticed an obvious flaw in their swing (aka inconsistency) i would recommend not being fitted and seek lessons...getting fitted for a flawed swing leads to disaster.

fitting a club is not as simple as body type...truly being fitted matches the swing and unless you have a consistent swing getting fitted is moot. aka most people that are either new to golf or don't golf that much.

and no im not a great golfer just i have been trained how to fit a club due to both the position of ball strike, the angle of swing, and the consistency of the swing. if it is not consistent, you are wasting both the fitters time and your time getting fitted.

the gold standard is either tons of practice at the range or getting lessons....then get fitted. that is if you plan to play a lot and get really good...if you are a weekend league hacker like myself then buy away on ebay

Last edited by VCU Rams; 01-02-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 54312

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCU Rams View Post
if he is new to golf getting fitted doesn't do a damn thing...i used to fit people for clubs and if i noticed an obvious flaw in their swing (aka inconsistency) i would recommend not being fitted and seek lessons...getting fitted for a flawed swing leads to disaster.

fitting a club is not as simple as body type...truly being fitted matches the swing and unless you have a consistent swing getting fitted is moot. aka most people that are either new to golf or don't golf that much.

and no im not a great golfer just i have been trained how to fit a club due to both the position of ball strike, the angle of swing, and the consistency of the swing. if it is not consistent, you are wasting both the fitters time and your time getting fitted.

the gold standard is either tons of practice at the range or getting lessons....then get fitted. that is if you plan to play a lot and get really good...if you are a weekend league hacker like myself then buy away on ebay
^this^! Get lessons first, get the fundamentals down, then when you're ready for a fitting check out Golf Exchange. They're in Kenwood and Florence (Greg Cooper is one of the best). They don't charge you for a fitting if you buy from them and their prices are very competitive. You can usually get a 10% discount if you buy a complete set of irons with grips to fit as well. They also have a good selection of used clubs, some are demos, and all are in good condition at a minimum.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

hacker
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
^this^! Get lessons first, get the fundamentals down, then when you're ready for a fitting check out Golf Exchange. They're in Kenwood and Florence (Greg Cooper is one of the best). They don't charge you for a fitting if you buy from them and their prices are very competitive. You can usually get a 10% discount if you buy a complete set of irons with grips to fit as well. They also have a good selection of used clubs, some are demos, and all are in good condition at a minimum.
I used to fit clubs at a public golf course in manassas va and then at ***** sporting goods...but you are right on the money by agreeing...a poor fitter would just fit you for your bad swing and that would be it. most likely that would happen a big box like ***** or golf galaxy, i recommend both getting lessons and getting fitted by the same guy at a golf course. (of course if money isn't an issue) they actually care number one because of the lessons provided and number two because they make money for your satisfaction. big boxes no longer provide compensation for a job well done so they could care less about what you buy. just speaking from experience!

EDIT: got hassled for not enough fittings (aka special orders) done at ***** sporting goods and explained that i am looking out for the consumer regardless of how much money they were willing to spend...and ultimately quit due to my car at the time breaking down, but probably would have anyway because that is not a way to run a business. golf galaxy is ***** sporting goods in disguise.

Last edited by VCU Rams; 01-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I used to fit clubs at a public golf course in manassas va and then at ***** sporting goods...but you are right on the money by agreeing...a poor fitter would just fit you for your bad swing and that would be it. most likely that would happen a big box like ***** or golf galaxy, i recommend both getting lessons and getting fitted by the same guy at a golf course. (of course if money isn't an issue) they actually care number one because of the lessons provided and number two because they make money for your satisfaction. big boxes no longer provide compensation for a job well done so they could care less about what you buy. just speaking from experience!
The Golf Exchange is tied into a quality practice facility called the Golf Ranch, which has PGA teaching pros and several demo days every year. The owners are local folks who are great players and just love the game. In my near 50 years of playing and buying gear from all of the typical outlets, this is the best service-oriented golf business I've seen. Great thing about dealing with this company is once you commit to a set of irons, your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't like what you bought, bring them back for exchange or adjusting...whatever it takes to make them right for you.
No more big box golf stores for me.

Last edited by wildcats forever; 01-02-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats forever View Post
The Golf Exchange is tied into a quality practice facility called the Golf Ranch, which has PGA teaching pros and several demo days every year. The owners are local folks who are great players and just love the game. In my near 50 years of playing and buying gear from all of the typical outlets, this is the best service-oriented golf business I've seen. No more golf big box stores for me.
props man if i wasn't good friends with the club pro from a golf course near my fathers house i would do the same ha....i hooked my father up with the deal of the century following his announced retirement thanks to that club pro! Although it helped me out to because i know where i can play a round of golf for free any time i want 2 hours away!

EDIT: provided i play with the pro who makes me look stupid every time lmao

Last edited by VCU Rams; 01-02-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
props man if i wasn't good friends with the club pro from a golf course near my fathers house i would do the same ha....i hooked my father up with the deal of the century following his announced retirement thanks to that club pro! Although it helped me out to because i know where i can play a round of golf for free any time i want 2 hours away!

EDIT: provided i play with the pro who makes me look stupid every time lmao
Free golf! Sweet! I'll ring you up next time I'm in your neck of the woods
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3304

I would probably go into a store that carries those irons and try them out. If i liked them and they were cheaper on line, i would have no problem ordering them that way, ebay included. I would try them out 1st though. I would try several brands of irons matter of fact.

Last edited by goalpost; 01-02-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 6028

Congrats, and best of luck with your new clubs!! I dont know if its been brought up but check out RockBottomGolf for the best deals on closeout golf stuff.... T's, balls, clubs, bags ect. I love that site!!

COACH HUE, PLEASE UNLEASH THIS BEAST!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21283

IMO - golf clubs are the greatest gift a man can receive. The peace and camaraderie among friends (and the beer) is priceless. There is no way ever to top this gift to your dad, well, unless you buy him a new set of clubs in return. Have a great time man, you are going to love it.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34081

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
IMO - golf clubs are the greatest gift a man can receive. The peace and camaraderie among friends (and the beer) is priceless. There is no way ever to top this gift to your dad, well, unless you buy him a new set of clubs in return. Have a great time man, you are going to love it.
A Man is Born with a club...

And Bedroom golf is better than the other golf..
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 8393

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Bedroom golf is better than the other golf..
True Dat!

www.golfexchange.com

They fit me last year with a nice set of Titleist AP1s (I still shoot in the 90's, but I was shooting in the 100's). TaylorMade RocketBladez are better than the RocketBallz to me. The guy that fit me had me hit Titleist, Nike, Adams, TaylorMade, Ping and Calloway. He took his time and really helped me make the decision.

If you've never played-or played sparingly-though, go to a Muni PGA Pro (Reeves has a good one, but Winton Woods has the best) for the fitting. They aren't paid bonuses for the clubs they sell, but they will help your swing first and then fit your swing. The Golf Ranch in Kentucky is run by a former tour pro-can't remember his name.

ALL IN FOR ANDY