Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7694
Default Re: bengals signed WR Lavasier Tuinei

Come on now.

Sanu was valuable because unlike the other WRs he made separation in traffic and went up and got the ball reliably. With him in there defenses were not able to just roll the defense over to AJ with impunity.

Marvin Jones has potential but it more in a role like that of Chris Henry back in the day - a tall speedster running the post. We REALLY need someone to be the outlet receiver and work the middle of the field. And yes the front office erred by not making any effort to land a veteran possession receiver - it's not like one would break the bank.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Rep Points: 24805

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Interesting that we're signing all these WRs at the end of the season. Tuinei looks like he can help us in the red zone at the very least. VIDEO

Grade A piece of ACE!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33761

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
1st and 3rd overall picks.. as in the worst and third worst teams in the NFL in 2012... the Chiefs and Raiders, respectively.

The thing is, AJ Green ended up with 97 catches, 1350 yards, and 11 tds. Real good year for AJ.

The other SIX wide receivers on the team combined for 123 catches, 1362 yards, and 11 tds. Simply put, it took the entirely of the Bengals WR corps to match what AJ did. While some of that is AJ being a damn good WR, another part of that is the rest of the WR corps really not helping out the team.

I'm all for WR development, and I am sure Sanu and Jones will be better in year two, but I don't think the Bengals can just sit back and not try to seriously improve the position. You need better than 97/1350/11 from your WRs not named AJ Green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelist View Post
Come on now.

Sanu was valuable because unlike the other WRs he made separation in traffic and went up and got the ball reliably. With him in there defenses were not able to just roll the defense over to AJ with impunity.

Marvin Jones has potential but it more in a role like that of Chris Henry back in the day - a tall speedster running the post. We REALLY need someone to be the outlet receiver and work the middle of the field. And yes the front office erred by not making any effort to land a veteran possession receiver - it's not like one would break the bank.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks we need an upgrade at WR. Sanu and Jones have "potential" but they're still unknowns. I'll be pretty miffed if they don't go after a vet during the offseason.

Look at the Steelers wr depth chart for example:

Mike Wallace
Antonio Brown
Emanuel Sanders
Jericho Cotchery
Plaxico Burress

Any of those players probably could've started for us. Honestly, Sanu and Jones should be depth. We should have a wr depth chart full of guys like that. Instead, we relied on PS level wr's like Binns and Tate half the year. Plenty of solid wr's will be available this offseason:

Greg Jennings
Dwayne Bowe
Derius Heyward-Bey
Mike Wallace

etc.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks we need an upgrade at WR. Sanu and Jones have "potential" but they're still unknowns. I'll be pretty miffed if they don't go after a vet during the offseason.

Look at the Steelers wr depth chart for example:

Mike Wallace
Antonio Brown
Emanuel Sanders
Jericho Cotchery
Plaxico Burress

Any of those players probably could've started for us. Honestly, Sanu and Jones should be depth. We should have a wr depth chart full of guys like that. Instead, we relied on PS level wr's like Binns and Tate half the year. Plenty of solid wr's will be available this offseason:

Greg Jennings
Dwayne Bowe
Derius Heyward-Bey
Mike Wallace

etc.
I would love to have DHB as a #2 and he might be willing to accept that role if we lose Jay and promote Hue to OC.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2791

With all the WR we bring in hopefully we get it right this year and not keep Tate.

Binns looked decent but couldn't get seperation.

I like Hawkins but he is a liability with his size to throw to without guaranteed open space.

Whalen just doesn't seem to have enough talent to make it onto the field often for us, though he has made some good catches.

Right now it seems we have 3 WRs that we know will be on the team next year.

Green
Sanu
Jones
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3517

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__6dwDilIl4
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Wow, I didn't notice I was the only one who watched the last two games of the year.

Marvin Jones has started making plays. He has caught ball after ball.

Yes, it took him time to develop, we expected that from a 5th round pick.

Guys, Marvin Jones is the #2 WR we have been looking for all of last year, and the start of this year.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714
bengals Re: bengals signed WR Lavasier Tuinei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
Wow, I didn't notice I was the only one who watched the last two games of the year.

Marvin Jones has started making plays. He has caught ball after ball.

Yes, it took him time to develop, we expected that from a 5th round pick.

Guys, Marvin Jones is the #2 WR we have been looking for all of last year, and the start of this year.
I still prefer Sanu over Jones at this point when he returns next year, but Jones has started to come alive. Getting his first touchdown Sunday should really boost his confidence and elevate his game. All at the right time too. I believe Cincinnati, will have to come out swinging and keep the Texans on their heels all game. Jones will need to play a huge role in that.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
With all the WR we bring in hopefully we get it right this year and not keep Tate.

Binns looked decent but couldn't get seperation.

I like Hawkins but he is a liability with his size to throw to without guaranteed open space.

Whalen just doesn't seem to have enough talent to make it onto the field often for us, though he has made some good catches.

Right now it seems we have 3 WRs that we know will be on the team next year.

Green
Sanu
Jones
Tate will be on the roster next year... What do you want to bet on that?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Rep Points: 24805

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Tate will be on the roster next year... What do you want to bet on that?
Of course he will, unless we get someone actual WR(s) that can beat him out in camp...