Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 76
Default Re: Let's Talk Safetys Thread

Eric Reid is a day 1 starter, can play FS and SS, huge value in the late 1st and a steal with an early 2nd round. He's not flashy but solid and complete.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
Who ever we take has to be more than just a good player; they have to be smart and a proven leader.

We had to bring back Crocker for a reason. Nelson has been a good player, but for what ever reason, does not have what it takes to run the DBs and play at a high level.
that's a lot to hang on a rook. I think Elam is a guy that clearly loves the game and brings enthusiasm. But he is young and at times over zealous on the field. Hall and Nelson should take the reigns for leadership of the DB's. Some of that too may have been Carrier getting settled in as a new coach.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4123

Quote:
Who ever we take has to be more than just a good player; they have to be smart and a proven leader.

We had to bring back Crocker for a reason. Nelson has been a good player, but for what ever reason, does not have what it takes to run the DBs and play at a high level.
I think the All American S from the 5th ranked defense in the nation who was also voted defensive MVP by his teammates fits those qualities.

Here is a couple recent articles about him.

http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/report-...013-nfl-draft/

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/3...r-florida.html
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3103

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyyDee View Post
Eric Reid is a day 1 starter, can play FS and SS, huge value in the late 1st and a steal with an early 2nd round. He's not flashy but solid and complete.
I like Reid, but he was schooled last night by Hopkins.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalpost View Post
Obviously a great athete but I was not impressed. Both Hopkins and Goodwin had my attention.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATI BENGALS View Post
I think the All American S from the 5th ranked defense in the nation who was also voted defensive MVP by his teammates fits those qualities.

Here is a couple recent articles about him.

http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/report-...013-nfl-draft/

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/3...r-florida.html
I probably should not have quoted Boon in my post. I was not trying to refute Boon's post. I was just saying that whom ever we pick needs the following skills:

Pass coverage
Run support
Leadership
Intelligence

I have not looked close enough at Elam to know if he fits the last two or not. I will watch some interviews and look up his major and GPA. I know Reid and Vaccaro fit the mold, but have not checked anybody else yet. There are probably a small hand full of others.

We have a leadership void in the Safety position.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I did not see the game, but you have to look at his body of work and not a single game. Now if has shown the same issues in other games, you have a problem.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Agreed but that can be changed. Like in the SEC championship game Rambo ran along side Lacy for 10-15 yards rather an hit him. I don't hold that against him.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 PM
VIP Gold Member

Default Re: Let's Talk Safetys ThreadReid,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I'm a big Matt Elam fan as well and he is hands down the best SS in the draft. Unfortunately, I've gotten my hopes up over the last few years hoping we'd take a safety early and we never do.

This year seems very deep (especially FS):

Reid
Vaccaro
McDonald
Jefferson
Rambo
I am mostly with Bfine.

I think Reid, Vaccaro and Thomas are the top tier.

Reid and Thomas are coaches 1st team All Americans (both unanimous AAs but the coach's means more to me) . Vaccaro was made MVP of his team.

All 3 were team captains which is very important in my book.

Reid is probably the smartest of the bunch.

Rambo is the best value of the bunch (assuming he falls for disciplinary reasons). I read about the personal things he had to overcome, and it was rough. I am not certain about his leadership skills, but he is smart. He majored in Economics and received some academic accolades. He was an All American as a JR and tore it up for the limited games he played this year. He is definitely the best DB on his team.

Elam is decent, and was the MVP of the D (he was a captain as well). His height puts him at the bottom of my best of the best list. I would rather have Rambo.

It is a great year for Safeties. We better get a great one!

For now:

Reid
Vaccaro
Thomas
Rambo
Elam

Last edited by Lolli; 01-01-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28168

Seeing how the secondary improved when we re-signed Crocker, I want a younger player with similar strengths.

Smart.
Reliable.
Always where he is supposed to be.
Coach on the field type.

If he is also a good tackler rather than a big hitter and solid in coverage with decent speed, I will be very happy.

Who best fits that bill?

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post
Seeing how the secondary improved when we re-signed Crocker, I want a younger player with similar strengths.

Smart.
Reliable.
Coach on the field type.

If he is also a good tackler rather than a big hitter and solid in coverage with decent speed, I will be very happy.

Who best fits that bill?

Tony Jefferson
Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34583

There is a Safety a lot of folks are forgetting about:

Last edited by bfine32; 01-01-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Tony Jefferson
He and Elam are good, but kind of short. Since one of their responsibilites is covers TEs, that could present a problem.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7773

Quote:
Originally Posted by go cards View Post
you will get a great chance at scouting elam in the sugar bowl wednesday. My cardinals will be hard pressed in the trenches against florida and this may ultimately cost them.

but where uofl excels is at qb and a slew of good wr's that will be testing their db's all day long.

go bengals & go cards !

sugar bowl champions !
L-yeah
Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 16541

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Tony Jefferson is my favorite safety this draft. Great coverage skills and amazing instincts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmLVe2l3MQ

A few of his highlights ^^^

edit: Here's what NEPatriotsDraft had to say about him: "If Tony Jefferson was 62″, he would be in talks as a top fifteen pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. At 511″, he is still a phenomenal safety prospect that really grew up from his 2011 season both his body and his game."
Jefferson's the best safety in this class, in my opinion, and only will fall because of his height, which would bother me because he'll be matched up against tight ends in our division, but he's athletic enough to make up for it.

Dude's a maniac and all over the field.............. we need to run to the podium if he's still there with our second pick in the second round (maybe even the first pick in the second round).

Visit my site or if you know of any schools, companies, youth groups, etc., that are in need of a public speaker.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2533

Quote:
There is a Safety a lot of folks are forgetting about:

Forgive me, who's that?

Quote:
He and Elam are good, but kind of short. Since one of their responsibilites is covers TEs, that could present a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Jefferson's the best safety in this class, in my opinion, and only will fall because of his height, which would bother me because he'll be matched up against tight ends in our division, but he's athletic enough to make up for it.

Dude's a maniac and all over the field.............. we need to run to the podium if he's still there with our second pick in the second round (maybe even the first pick in the second round).
Leon Hall is short and does ok when he covers tight ends; ask Big Ben.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5129

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post

Thank goodness someone else likes him too. Everyone has been posting their top fives, and I haven't seen him yet. He's got the speed, instincts and coverage abilities to be a great safety. He's bigger than Troy Polamalu and Earl Thomas, I don't see the size issue. Everyone wants Matt Elam who is an inch shorter?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 34583

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Forgive me, who's that?

Ray Ray Armstrong
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5129

Quote:
Ray Ray Armstrong
Never saw the hype behind him, even when he was at the U. Tight hips, poor instincts, and he's a moron apparently. I'd take him with our last 6th in case he becomes something more, but I just don't see the hype.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3924

Quote:
I am mostly with Bfine.

I think Reid, Vaccaro and Thomas are the top tier.

Reid and Thomas are coaches 1st team All Americans (both unanimous AAs but the coach's means more to me) . Vaccaro was made MVP of his team.

All 3 were team captains which is very important in my book.

Reid is probably the smartest of the bunch.

Rambo is the best value of the bunch (assuming he falls for disciplinary reasons). I read about the personal things he had to overcome, and it was rough. I am not certain about his leadership skills, but he is smart. He majored in Economics and received some academic accolades. He was an All American as a JR and tore it up for the limited games he played this year. He is definitely the best DB on his team.

Elam is decent, and was the MVP of the D (he was a captain as well). His height puts him at the bottom of my best of the best list. I would rather have Rambo.

It is a great year for Safeties. We better get a great one!

For now:

Reid
Vaccaro
Thomas
Rambo
Elam
Quote:
I think height is a very tricky measurable and people shouldn't put too much value in it. That was the big knock on Earl Thomas a couple of years ago and he has been great. Elam is 5'11, there are two safeties in our division that might go down as two of the best ever and they are both 5'11". Elam is really growing on me and I think he's starting to move up boards. I might have to start mocking him to us in the first round.

Last edited by et2house; 01-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

Quote:
Ray Ray Armstrong
Ah yes, Mr. Permanently banned from college football due to lying during an internal investigation about impermissable benefits. I'll pass.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonew6 View Post

Smart.
Reliable.
Coach on the field type.

Who best fits that bill?
I wonder if they won't look for another Vet, seems like we have a lot of young guys at S. If they could get Byrd signed as a FA that would be big. However I don't see it, he is going to get paid.
3rd. OT JaWaun James
4th. DT Caruan Reid
5th QB Aaron Murry
6th DE Brent Urban
7th WR/KR John Brown
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by et2house View Post
I think height is a very tricky measurable and people shouldn't put too much value in it. That was the big knock on Earl Thomas a couple of years ago and he has been great. Elam is 5'11, there are two safeties in our division that might go down as two of the best ever and they are both 5'11". Elam is really growing on me and I think he's starting to move up boards. I might have to start mocking him to us in the first round.
I used the wishy washy words kind of on purpose. It is not an insurmountable obstacle, but his height is an obstacle.

Last edited by Lolli; 01-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by et2house View Post
I think if we want Elam it will probably have to be in the first. Similar to Gio Bernard. I love Elam's quickness to close and the passion he brings to the game. Dude loves to hit and seems to me to be a playmaker. I guess what needs to be considered is the drop off between Elam and a guy like Jefferson. Several have brought up Swearinger from SC who also seems like an intruiging guy.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
VIP Member

I personally think Elam is a little wild. I like the do you job types at SS but I'm ok with him in the second. I think we should go BPA and draft for need starting in the second.