Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 595
Default Great article on Geno's dominance

Didn't see it anwhere else on here yet:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ook-week-17-2/

Dude's a stud
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 29
Default Re: Great article on Geno's dominance

He is definitely one of, if not, the greatest DT's I've had the chance to watch play in my life.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19898

We're watching a great one in the making !
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2771

The most underrated player by fans in the NFL right now.

He will be a household name by the end of next year though.

I think he improves again and makes a run on the sack record.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 28299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikairius View Post
The most underrated player by fans in the NFL right now.

He will be a household name by the end of next week though.

I think he improves again and makes a run on the sack record.
Fixed it! Geno "Pizza Roll" Atkins is going to make Matt Schaub's Saturday afternoon one he'll want to forget.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 595

I recall so many times just being in awe of how he dominated the line of scrimmage this past year alone. It's scary to think he's still getting better.

You are definitely allowed to eat QBs on the Atkins diet (sorry, had to...)
Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 29

It is just such an advantage when you can just rush the front four and still end up with blitz results. I can honestly say, if we didn't have the DL we have at the moment, we would not have made the playoffs. That is how integral they have been for this team. Obviously with Geno being the heart of that front four.

I just hope that if we end up beating the Texans he will be able to play in Denver. We will definitely need him but his health comes first.

BTW, I cannot wait until this Saturday. It seriously just needs to get here already.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10585

Geno Atkins Scouting Reports

From the National Football Post.

Atkins is quick off the snap and does a great job getting under offensive linemen and driving them into the backfield. He has a strong lower base and exhibits natural leverage on the bull-rush. ... He lacks the type of size and overall strength to consistently fight his way through the double-team. He can be easily sealed from the ball vs. any type of additional attention. He lacks overall girth and will get washed out of run plays when taking on the double-team at the point of attack.

He's undersized and scheme-limited as a starter at the next level, but should be able to eventually develop into an ideal penetrating lineman in a one-gap scheme.

From SB Nation's Mocking The Draft.

After a strong sophomore season where it appeared that he would be the next big thing in the SEC, Atkins totaled less than half the sacks from 2007 in his junior and senior years combined. While he played within a system that favored rotations, Atkins never took his performance to the next level. There were several effort and motor concerns with him at Georgia, and without the top tier physical package, that will be an issue in the NFL. However without any prior knowledge of him, one would think he could be a second round player after watching his performance at the Senior Bowl, as he was the one defensive lineman that gave Idaho guard Mike Iupati a fit on the field. His ability to penetrate a gap and free himself up in the backfield is something every defense wants. He will not get much bigger physically and his role at the next level will be limited, but he can be important piece to a strong unit if he remains focused. He will likely be a middle round option and especially attractive to the Tampa-2 defenses.

From Draft Countdown.

Very athletic ... Explosive and quick off the snap ... Fast with a burst to close ... Nimble feet ... Is strong and surprisingly powerful ... Can penetrate and make plays in the backfield ... Displays great mobility and range ... Does a nice job in pursuit.

Undersized and lacks the ideal bulk you look for ... Is not stout at the point of attack ... Will never be a great run defender ... Has trouble taking on and shedding blockers ... Mediocre tackler ... Stamina may be an issue.

A better prospect than his statistics might lead you to believe ... A classic one-gapper whose best fit will most likely come as a three-technique in a 4-3 front.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Has trouble taking on and shedding blockers
OMFG I'm glad I'm not the guy who wrote that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone better at it in my life. That scout should be fired for just writing that one sentence alone.

And just think.....the team that landed this gem was the one with the fewest scouts in the league.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Atkins doesn't really "take on and shed". It's more like he "crushes and tosses to the side".

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE D-MAN View Post
The only thing a Bengals fan and a Steelers fan can enjoy at the same time is a Steeler fan's sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
I ****ed a girl from Pittsburgh once. She was a Steelers fan. She was cockeyed and smelled like Rolling Rock and failure.

Last edited by Armoredcar; 01-03-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3827

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Didn't see it anwhere else on here yet:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ook-week-17-2/

Dude's a stud
Some of my favorite quotes from this article.

Quote:
The combination of power, speed and athleticism evident in this play is what Atkins is all about. He isnít any one thing, but a destructive compound of every trait you want in a defensive tackle that offensive linemen simply canít handle.
Quote:
Atkins realized that everything he did to beat his man in the passing game was exactly as applicable in the run game if he simply attacked with the same ferocity and didnít wait for the run to come his way before reacting.

He essentially decided that he would just play the game on the offenseís side of the line of scrimmage, and things would work out. Good call.
Quote:
Atkins lines up outside of Beadles, so he correctly starts off the play moving laterally, sacrificing ground to gain position on the block, but this is simply red rag to a bull. Atkins takes giving ground as an invitation, and again makes contact with his man with unbeatable leverage, driving him four yards deep into the backfield, completely annihilating the running lane before tossing him to the side and making the tackle as the running back desperately tries to get around the block.
Quote:
That is as far as Scott did match him though, because from that point onward he simply lost the battle of strength and was driven back as if he were little more than a high-school kid. Atkins rockets the pair into the backfield so quickly that they actually beat the edge rushers that essentially donít engage until they are that far deep and are running untouched. They arrive so quickly that QB Nick Foles is only just coming out of his drop, and immediately has to take off to his right to avoid being sacked.

Atkins essentially ran right through a guard, fought out of his holding attempt, and still forced the pass all within 4.2 seconds of the snap. He actually arrived at Foles in just 1.7 seconds, which is simply ludicrous for a play in which he had to drive right through somebody, and would be a similar time to a guy who manages to come completely unblocked off the line.
What a beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE D-MAN View Post
The only thing a Bengals fan and a Steelers fan can enjoy at the same time is a Steeler fan's sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
I ****ed a girl from Pittsburgh once. She was a Steelers fan. She was cockeyed and smelled like Rolling Rock and failure.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoredcar View Post
OMFG I'm glad I'm not the guy who wrote that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone better at it in my life. That scout should be fired for just writing that one sentence alone.

And just think.....the team that landed this gem was the one with the fewest scouts in the league.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Atkins doesn't really "take on and shed". It's more like he "crushes and tosses to the side".
I am a big college football fan and follow the SEC closely (Tennessee fan). I saw geno play a lot in college and thought he was a great pick in the fourth round, but he NEVER showed anything in college to make me believe he would be this good in the NFL.

Everyone looked at his weight and considered him a "speed and quickness" type DT, but he makes his living with brute strength and leverage. He is incredible.

Last edited by fredtoast; 01-03-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1038

Much has been talked about the small Bengals scouting department, but this is one time where they have to be given HUGE credit. Geno was a very good college player, but no one saw this level of play from him regularly at UGA (that I have seen or heard.) Looking at a player and seeing this potential is a very, very difficult thing to do. Geno obviously has put in serious work to become to this kind of force, but someone had to see at least part of this coming inside the Bengals scouting group.

Geno has unbelievable technique so Jay Hayes and Mike Zimmer clearly are doing good work. It's just a perfect storm coming together with Geno and it's awesome to watch. Especially because he's such a humble, hard working guy.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 PM

Rep Points: 37

Here's an article arguing he should be considered for defensive player of the year.

Quote:
Atkins accolades don't just include sacks. According to the advance statistics at Pro Football Focus, he finished with a total of 78 QB pressures (sack, hits, and hurries combines). That's 21 more than the next closest DT (Ndamukong Suh), and more than the totals for Watt or Smith. He also has the 2nd best run stop percentage at his position, the 4th most tackles at his position (even though teams avoid him like the plague), and PFF has his overall rating for the year at more than twice what 2nd place Gerald McCoy has.]
http://voices.yahoo.com/geno-atkins-...353.html?cat=9

I have no idea why the other guys listed in that article would be considered and Geno wouldn't. Heck, outside of sacks, Smith does nothing, especially without Justin Smith (Hey, you guys remember him?). Watt batts a lot of passes and Miller is a jack of all, but having Elvis Dumervil sure helps a lot.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9361

We should sign him to a 6+ year extension immediately.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
We should sign him to a 6+ year extension immediately.
Should have done that about mid-season. Every game he plays his value goes up. The Nation will be exposed to his dominance tonight, and the Bengals won't pay what he demands.

The only thing I can think is that they never planned on signing him to a long term deal. He and Andre should be main priorities, but I could see both leaving.

It's too bad this franchise is ran like a business. They do a fantastic job of maximum return for minimum resources. They draft exceptional, but Mike Brown won't spend a nickel if he doesn't have to.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

People are starting to see what all us Bengals fans have been raving about, Geno is the man.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 52885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals_FanMan View Post
Should have done that about mid-season. Every game he plays his value goes up. The Nation will be exposed to his dominance tonight, and the Bengals won't pay what he demands.

The only thing I can think is that they never planned on signing him to a long term deal. He and Andre should be main priorities, but I could see both leaving.

It's too bad this franchise is ran like a business. They do a fantastic job of maximum return for minimum resources. They draft exceptional, but Mike Brown won't spend a nickel if he doesn't have to.

I don't even think we are allowed to offer an extension until he is in the final year of his contract next season.

Isn't that correct?

BTW why do you think Mike will not pay to keep geno, like he has many of his other top stars?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
I don't even think we are allowed to offer an extension until he is in the final year of his contract next season.

Isn't that correct?
You may be right. I'm not sure of the specifics of rookie contracts. His would have been from the old CBA.

Quote:
BTW why do you think Mike will not pay to keep geno, like he has many of his other top stars?

Honestly, I have a lot more faith in Brown than most Bengals fans. Look at how well they've done in not only drafting absolute gems over the years (JJ, Justin Smith, Geno, AJ, Andre, etc) but also bringing in guys from other teams' trash piles and giving them a second chance to be a productive starter.

Saying all of that, the one thing the guy won't do is overpay for someone (sans Palmer, but at the time Palmer was worthy and he had no other choice unless he was okay with the idea of having 10k fans at his games). I really think that's what's going to happen with Geno: someone is going to have to overpay him. He may generate Albert Haynesworth kind of money, and there's no way Brown will do that, especially considering he knows he'll have to sign Andy, Aj, MJ, and whatever RB we bring in.

Unfortunately, like Justin Smith, I can see Geno getting a lot of interest, Brown saying he wants to keep Geno but lowballing the **** out of him, then Geno signs somewhere else and dominates.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him in a Giants uniform in a few years. They value the DL, and have the market and owners to pay the man.