Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 540
Default What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Rey was awarded Defensive Team Captain this season. That means a lot. How does one get awarded Captain and then released the next season? You have to predict at this point in time that Rey will be resigned this off season and be our starting MLB going into next year. I see no way that he gets awarded Captain and then Marvin allowing him to walk.

What does this mean for Burfict? Does he stay at WLB? If so, do we resign Howard? Howard was our best LB last season and should be playing WLB IMO. Does moving Burfict to SAM make any sense at all? That is the only solution that I see in which Howard makes it back on the field with Burfict.

I just canít imagine Maualuga not returning and being our starting MLB for the next 4 years after he was given the Captain title. Please tell me I am wrong!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12776
Default Re: What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Maybe it's just me and my extreme disappointment with Rey, but who cares if he was Captain this year? He didn't get the job done(very well) and is not the answer at MLB. I say let him go or if we insist on keeping him, just keep him as a back-up, not a starter and find a new Captain next year.

Sorry, I don't mean to be condescending or anything, I just don't think the title of Captain means much when it comes to making sure you have the best players on the field the next season.

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApinhead View Post
Maybe it's just me and my extreme disappointment with Rey, but who cares if he was Captain this year? He didn't get the job done(very well) and is not the answer at MLB. I say let him go or if we insist on keeping him, just keep him as a back-up, not a starter and find a new Captain next year.

Sorry, I don't mean to be condescending or anything, I just don't think the title of Captain means much when it comes to making sure you have the best players on the field the next season.
There's a good chance that he was made captain because Lewis thought that may be the only way to salvage his play for the rest of the season and make it through without having to rely on guys like Lawson or Rey. Maybe we can get lucky and talk Baltimore into taking him for a couple picks.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 540

Quote:

I completely agree with you. My argument is that these coaches have egos and egos might get in the way of making the right decision. I hope it doesn't but you just never know.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:15 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5305

Someone call the Raiders........what picks do they still have left this year?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAv View Post
There's a good chance that he was made captain because Lewis thought that may be the only way to salvage his play for the rest of the season and make it through without having to rely on guys like Lawson or Rey. Maybe we can get lucky and talk Baltimore into taking him for a couple picks.
HaHa!! This may not be popular, but I'd be willing to just give him away! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsman1983 View Post
I completely agree with you. My argument is that these coaches have egos and egos might get in the way of making the right decision. I hope it doesn't but you just never know.
Oh, there is not doubt about that. It doesn't seem that Marvin and company want to admit that Rey just isn't panning out and that it is time to move on. But you're right, who knows what will happen. Maybe we will be surprised.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 946

He's not very good. Plain and simple. This is not meant as a slight to Rey . It's just that you'd like see him at least be of Pro Bowl caliber if he's going to lead. That's not Rey nor will it ever be. Lewis was hoping by giving him capain statis, it would awaken something special in him, but Rey is what he is. Average...
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13381

I'm as down on Rey as almost anyone. However, I will say that over the past few weeks, I haven't really noticed him at all. Now, obviously, that means he isn't making any splash plays, but it also means he's not being a colossal screw up!

I'd prefer that he isn't our MLB of the future, but from what I've seen, he has improved over the 2nd half of the season. If the price is right, keep him for depth, but we certainly don't want to break the bank simply because he's a starter and a captain.

Usually, your middle linebacker looks like a friggin hero playing behind a defensive line like this. It's concerning that he still looks weak when you figure in our strong DT play.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20211

Hopefully, they thank him for his services and send him on to his next career. Maybe he can be an actor and play football players in movies. He does look the part.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 154

Rey is as of right now just an average at best lb. I neither love nor hate his play. Coming out of USC like he did and with who he came out with will always be a measuring stick

I say sign him for a 2-3 yr contract at above average for starting MLB's. Let him fight it out in preseason and worst case I think he would be a descent backup

I don't think Rey is great now but I do think he gets a lot of blame and very little credit

Just my .02

Who Dey !

1st Round- BPA that falls ie. Warmack(long shot) or one of the top DE of OT, starting to like Rhodes, CB, FSU
2A Round- Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama
2B Round- Eddie Lacy, RB, USC
3rd Round- Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
4th Round- Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma
5th Round- Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
6th Round-
7th Round-
Free Agent- Dominique Rogers Cromartie CB
Paul Kruger OLB
Old 01-03-2013, 10:07 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29842

My guess is he is re-signed and remains a starter. Likely at MLB, possibly back to SLB.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22684

Have to get rid of him, release, trade, whatever, if the Bengals find a replacement.

He's been with the team too long, and is still too young, to simple fall into a back up role. I like the idea of finding a replacement in the draft and then dealing him to a different team. Only reason the Bengals should hold onto him until after the draft is in case there is a run on MLB's in the draft. This would stop the Bengals from having to reach due to need at linebacker, and would allow them to instead draft for value.

Hate the idea of having to stick with Rey for another season, but I could stand it if they upgraded at SAM, safety, RB, and CB instead. As long as they're addressing needs, I'm all for it. If they skip such need and draft more DT's due to value, not so happy...
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3738

We need all the extra cash we can get if we wish to keep MJ, Smiths, Dunlap, Atkins and Gresham in the coming two seasons. Let Maualuga go. He flashed as a rookie but hasn't done anything else since. At his best this season he has been average, and that's nothing to get excited about.

Forever indebted to NashvilleBengalfan for his stroke of artistic genius.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 34081

Quote:

His 2nd half the year is much better than the beginning he seemed to respond well to what the coaches were telling him...

I say right now... You give him a 2 year extenstion which gives him a year to earn a bigger deal.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3168

I wouldn't mind him as a back up to Burfict int he middle.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 700

hopefully they cut him....he isnt that good of a player, and seems a bit timid, especially after Ward shattered his jaw
Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13381

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalbobZilla View Post
hopefully they cut him....he isnt that good of a player, and seems a bit timid, especially after Ward shattered his jaw
That was Keith Rivers.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Steeler Eater!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 14134

Quote:
You're thinking of Rivers

Quote:
"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
His 2nd half the year is much better than the beginning he seemed to respond well to what the coaches were telling him...

I say right now... You give him a 2 year extenstion which gives him a year to earn a bigger deal.
I will grant that he improved in the second half of the season. However, I still don't think he is good enough to keep around as our starting MLB. As a back up? Sure. But not as a starter. He's had enough time to prove himself and he hasn't done it.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3738

Quote:

Forever indebted to NashvilleBengalfan for his stroke of artistic genius.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4638

Burfict is destined for the middle and the sooner Rey is gone, the sooner we'll have a pro-bowl MLB. Thank Rey for his services and let him walk. He probably will fit better in the middle of a 3-4 anyways.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by et2house View Post
Burfict is destined for the middle and the sooner Rey is gone, the sooner we'll have a pro-bowl MLB. Thank Rey for his services and let him walk. He probably will fit better in the middle of a 3-4 anyways.
Burfict Plays Great on the outside.... Dont move him I like this core of backers and if we can transition Howard to Sam next year we will be even better.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Fail...

And Rey is a Fine player... Hes no Rey Lewis but you dont find those very often.

Burfict is perfect for the Will Spot

We dont have a middle LB to replace Rey so our best bet is to resign him to a short term deal.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 29842

Quote:
Fail...

And Rey is a Fine player... Hes no Rey Lewis but you dont find those very often.

We dont have a middle LB to replace Rey so our best bet is to resign him to a short term deal.
Burfict played the WLB spot well, but I do think his natural position is in the middle.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7751
bengals Re: What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Quote:
Fail...

Rey is not a fine player by any stretch of the word.. and the question is which is better for the Bengals? Burfict (who in 14 games, never playing a snap at WILL in his life, beat Maualuga in tackles) at MLB, and Thomas Howard (who also in his first season with the Bengals beat Maualuga in tackles) at WILL.....

.....Or Maualuga at MLB, Burfict at WILL, and Thomas Howard who was the Bengals best LBer in 2011 is let to go to another team to start.

All I know is Dhani Jones was considered an average MLB, with an above average grasp of the defense and knowing where people needed to be, and he still made more plays than Rey Maualuga is in MLB. Which brings me to another point, every time I watch the Bengals defense, why is it that either Vontaze Burfict or Chris Crocker are talking to Rey frantically and pointing at something which causes some players to shift before the snap? I really don't think Rey knows what he's doing and how to direct the defense.

0-5 Postseason, 7-18 Prime Time, 93-90-1 All Time... all you need to know about Marvin Lewis.
- - - - -

"Why hello there Antonio..."