Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 134
Default Let's talk Running Backs Thread

The general consensus is that we need to add another (or two) RBs to this game. Whether it be as a compliment to BGJ, or as a replacement to Peermen/Scott/or Leonard. Who are you guys looking at and who would fit this team well?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3438
Default Re: Let's talk Running Backs Thread

I like Lacy in the 2nd, with a compliment back like Dennis Johnson in the 5th.

or

I like Gillislee in the 3rd.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4791

I like Gillislee early, 2/3 and Robbie Rouse late 5/6.

Last edited by et2house; 01-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

Joseph Randle, Ray Graham, Andre Ellington.... Not much this year honestly.

Our best option would be Bush in FA, but that's unlikely.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:42 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10682

I want Giovani Bernard in the 2nd round.

Fast RB. Agile. Definitely a change of pace back. Also, he can return kicks, and that could finally allow us to get rid of Tate.

Also, he wouldn't have to start right away, so he could get his feet wet and still have an opportunity to learn from one of the better ball-carriers in the league.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5544

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Joseph Randle, Ray Graham, Andre Ellington.... Not much this year honestly.

Our best option would be Bush in FA, but that's unlikely.
I'll pass on Bush. I'd take Le'veon Bell, Giovanni Bernard, Montee Ball (I think he can be an every down back right away), Gillislee(SP?) in no particular order.

I know some will say we don't need an every down back because we do RB BC, but if you find someone who can carry the load it's good to have them even if they split carries early in their career. You never know when that committee will get decimated by injury and it will become a bell cow setup by default.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Giovanni Bernard at the top of the 2nd. Maybe even trade back into the 1st to get him.
Kenjon Barner in the 3rd or 4th. Speed back with the ability to run between the tackles.
Johnathan Franklin in the 4th. Same kinda skill-set as Barner, but a little bigger.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 42029

Kenjon Barner and Christine Michael have always been a couple of personal favorites.

However, I am now on the bandwagon of a 6'0", 200 lb back with 4.3 speed:

Shoelace.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Would be nice to have a do-it-all every down RB who is capable of playing all 3 downs instead of a collection of situational players where the defense knows what you're doing based on who is in the game.

Like what the ravens have with guys like Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce, who both fit that mold. They can run between the tackles, bounce it outside, catch out of the backfield, run screens, etc

Whoever we bring in should have the capability of being the guy, not just a change of pace situational guy.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiGo View Post
The general consensus is that we need to add another (or two) RBs to this game. Whether it be as a compliment to BGJ, or as a replacement to Peermen/Scott/or Leonard. Who are you guys looking at and who would fit this team well?
My favorite back in the draft, by far, is Montee Ball. He was has that great blend of nimbleness, power, and vision that Curtis Martin had. He could come in and immediately be a 3 down back with his his blitz pick up and pass catching ability.

My next favorite is a tie between Eddie Lacy and Joseph Randle.

I really hope we can get Ball in the 3rd after addressing LB, DE, Safety. I am very worried though that we will reach and take Bernard in 1.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
My favorite back in the draft, by far, is Montee Ball. He was has that great blend of nimbleness, power, and vision that Curtis Martin had. He could come in and immediately be a 3 down back with his his blitz pick up and pass catching ability.

My next favorite is a tie between Eddie Lacy and Joseph Randle.

I really hope we can get Ball in the 3rd after addressing LB, DE, Safety. I am very worried though that we will reach and take Bernard in 1.
I like Ball too, but he won't be a available for us in the 3rd.

And why do you want to address defense so much first, when our offense is pretty putrid? That should be our first priority. We shouldn't even look at defense until we upgrade the running game and WR positions.

And how would Bernard be a reach at the end of round one?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

I like Bernard in the early 2nd (not the first).

I know Ball get's knocked for being a UW RB but whenever I watch that guy run I see a legit NFL back. Big dude with good vision and feet. Durable. Like a more talented version of BJGE. Defitniely has a nose for the endzone. So I'd be good with Ball in the 2nd (preferably not at the Raiders pick).

I think Sepfan Taylor will be a solid NFL RB.

I really like Gillislee (sp?) The back from UF.

I think fine brings up the very intruiging possibility of Robinson as a HB. Not sure if he's durable enough but he is definitely electric with the ball.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47417

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Kenjon Barner and Christine Michael have always been a couple of personal favorites.

However, I am now on the bandwagon of a 6'0", 200 lb back with 4.3 speed:

Shoelace.

Robinson is one of those electric type of players, indeed. However, he doesn't strike me as durable enough to play RB in the NFL.

I'm pretty high on Barner though. Looking forward to taking a close look at him, in the game tonight.

I put Christine Michael in the same catagory as I had Vick Ballard last year. Good all-purpose RB for the team that takes him, underrated.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
I like Ball too, but he won't be a available for us in the 3rd.

And why do you want to address defense so much first, when our offense is pretty putrid? That should be our first priority. We shouldn't even look at defense until we upgrade the running game and WR positions.
I agree. If we want Montee I think we may have to do it at 2b or trade up in the 3rd.

As to defense, I think we are very, very close to having a truly power house defense and the only real weak link is at safety, and LB. A high pick at DE is also added due to uncertainty with MJ and also the fact that, with over 80% of snaps taken, MJ is being used way too much. If we can resign MJ to a long term deal and get either Lavar Edwards from LSU or Cornelius Washington in the 4th/5th then I would be fine with that.

On offense we need a RB, which it looks like we can get in the 2nd. I would really like to see a new C brought in but Cook seems entrenched as the man. For WR I can't imagine them giving up on Sanu and Jones already; unless Robert Woods is there at 2a. TE is good and we only really need a solid blocking TE which Williams from Bama can bring in the 5th/6th. So on the whole, the offense seems to have holes that are already filled, or best addressed later in the draft IMHO.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4025

Randle and gillislee are the most complete backs of the class. Bernard, ellington and Barner are good cop backs I'd like to add.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I agree. If we want Montee I think we may have to do it at 2b or trade up in the 3rd.

As to defense, I think we are very, very close to having a truly power house defense and the only real weak link is at safety, and LB. A high pick at DE is also added due to uncertainty with MJ and also the fact that, with over 80% of snaps taken, MJ is being used way too much. If we can resign MJ to a long term deal and get either Lavar Edwards from LSU or Cornelius Washington in the 4th/5th then I would be fine with that.

On offense we need a RB, which it looks like we can get in the 2nd. I would really like to see a new C brought in but Cook seems entrenched as the man. For WR I can't imagine them giving up on Sanu and Jones already; unless Robert Woods is there at 2a. TE is good and we only really need a solid blocking TE which Williams from Bama can bring in the 5th/6th. So on the whole, the offense seems to have holes that are already filled, or best addressed later in the draft IMHO.
I agree that we could be close to having a really good defense, but how much difference will it make. So we will give up 13 point instead of 16? No big deal. We have to be able to score
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 13

zach stacy-vanderbilt 4th
lattimore- 6th
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 61

My favorites are Eddie Lacy and Christine Michael. Knile Davis is also intriguing.
If Davis is 100% healthy by combine and draft, then he is my favorite and will need to be taken relatively early.
Besides a RB1, we should add a back like Dennis Johnson (or Kenjon Barner, Johnathan Franklin).

Last edited by stknux; 01-03-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2917

I say fix it this draft. Lacey and Barner rounds 2/3. BJGE third down guy with Peerman/Boom on ST.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsfromCanada View Post
zach stacy-vanderbilt 4th
lattimore- 6th
zach stacy is projected in the 6th to 7th rd. drafting him in the 4th is way too early.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

This is a tough position to judge.....

As of right now, I would go with Bernard. He is exactly what we are looking for. He has the speed, agility and vision that could be an every down back.

There are a ton of good looking prospects out there though. Ball, Lacy, Gillislee, Taylor, Barner, Randle. To be quite honest, if Bernard is gone when we pick in the second round, I would take any of these guys.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
This is a tough position to judge.....

As of right now, I would go with Bernard. He is exactly what we are looking for. He has the speed, agility and vision that could be an every down back.

There are a ton of good looking prospects out there though. Ball, Lacy, Gillislee, Taylor, Barner, Randle. To be quite honest, if Bernard is gone when we pick in the second round, I would take any of these guys.
Agree with both points. I would add that Bernard and Barner would complement BJGE's skill set well. Ball looks more like a direct replacement for BJGE with a bit better skill set, but still slow.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

IF they decide to draft 2 RB's I would go with someone like Lacy and then Barner/Franklin for our COP back.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

The only guy i like is Andre Ellington..I wouldn't draft him though, i'd take Reggie Bush in FA if we can.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13710

My favorite COPs which is an absolute must:

2nd - Bernard

3rd - Ellington

3rd/4th - Barner

4th/5th - Franklin

6th - Williams

If we miss Bernard in the 2nd, I will not panic. I would be happy with any of them.