Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3335
Default Re: What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Rey may command about the same or more than what we are currently paying Howard (~$ 2 mill a year). It would probably be good to re-sign one of them back, but not both. If Rey commands more than Howard, I could see them letting Rey walk and re-sign Howard to man the WILL spot again. Burfict would then move to MIKE. However, it's definitely possible that we re-sign Maualuga over Howard and keep Burfict at WILL. Either way, it would be best to re-sign one of them and draft a LB as well.

Personal Preference:
Burfict to MIKE
Howard re-signed and back at WILL
Draft an OLB to take over at SAM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5268

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeonardLeap View Post
Rey is not a fine player by any stretch of the word.. and the question is which is better for the Bengals? Burfict (who in 14 games, never playing a snap at WILL in his life, beat Maualuga in tackles) at MLB, and Thomas Howard (who also in his first season with the Bengals beat Maualuga in tackles) at WILL.....

.....Or Maualuga at MLB, Burfict at WILL, and Thomas Howard who was the Bengals best LBer in 2011 is let to go to another team to start.

All I know is Dhani Jones was considered an average MLB, with an above average grasp of the defense and knowing where people needed to be, and he still made more plays than Rey Maualuga is in MLB. Which brings me to another point, every time I watch the Bengals defense, why is it that either Vontaze Burfict or Chris Crocker are talking to Rey frantically and pointing at something which causes some players to shift before the snap? I really don't think Rey knows what he's doing and how to direct the defense.
I would take the Dhani we had a couple years back over Rey and I agree he seems clueless.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

He has done absolutely nothing this year that makes me want to keep him around. He is average at HIS VERY BEST. If we extend him, he is going to get in the way of developing another LB. Let him walk, lets draft a young LB who shows some talent (Ogletree, Greene, Thomas) and let them start immediately. Burfict is showing his abilities and why he was rated a 1st round prospect a year or two ago. Im not saying Burfict is the next Ray Lewis but he seems to be progressing very well. Honestly, I wouldnt be opposed to drafting two LBs and plugging them in immediately. Draft Ogletree and Thomas and stick them in with Burfict and that is one hell of a NEW and IMPROVED LB core.

Rey would be nothing but a hazard to this team going forward. It took Marvin Lewis ***-chewing to get Rey "some-what" motivated to play at an average level. He quit on the play last week against the Ravens and that defines him as a player in my book. I want nothing to do with Rey. All he would do is **** up money that we could use on a bunch of quality young players already on this team. Let his *** walk and lets all give him a nice wave goodbye!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

Quote:
Rey is not a fine player by any stretch of the word.. and the question is which is better for the Bengals? Burfict (who in 14 games, never playing a snap at WILL in his life, beat Maualuga in tackles) at MLB, and Thomas Howard (who also in his first season with the Bengals beat Maualuga in tackles) at WILL.....

.....Or Maualuga at MLB, Burfict at WILL, and Thomas Howard who was the Bengals best LBer in 2011 is let to go to another team to start.

All I know is Dhani Jones was considered an average MLB, with an above average grasp of the defense and knowing where people needed to be, and he still made more plays than Rey Maualuga is in MLB. Which brings me to another point, every time I watch the Bengals defense, why is it that either Vontaze Burfict or Chris Crocker are talking to Rey frantically and pointing at something which causes some players to shift before the snap? I really don't think Rey knows what he's doing and how to direct the defense.
If he has a captains c or not, the MLB should be the leader on the D.
Rey doesn't have what it takes to be a leader. Some have it, some can develop it, and some will never have it no matter what. Rey falls into the last group.

I say go into the draft with the hope of a good MLB, but be ready to take a good WLB, and move Burfict to MLB. That way it gives the team more flexability.

Wither way Rey, needs replaced.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 714
bengals Re: What are the Bengals going to do with Rey Maualuga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewee28 View Post
He has done absolutely nothing this year that makes me want to keep him around. He is average at HIS VERY BEST. If we extend him, he is going to get in the way of developing another LB. Let him walk, lets draft a young LB who shows some talent (Ogletree, Greene, Thomas) and let them start immediately. Burfict is showing his abilities and why he was rated a 1st round prospect a year or two ago. Im not saying Burfict is the next Ray Lewis but he seems to be progressing very well. Honestly, I wouldnt be opposed to drafting two LBs and plugging them in immediately. Draft Ogletree and Thomas and stick them in with Burfict and that is one hell of a NEW and IMPROVED LB core.

Rey would be nothing but a hazard to this team going forward. It took Marvin Lewis ***-chewing to get Rey "some-what" motivated to play at an average level. He quit on the play last week against the Ravens and that defines him as a player in my book. I want nothing to do with Rey. All he would do is **** up money that we could use on a bunch of quality young players already on this team. Let his *** walk and lets all give him a nice wave goodbye!

Glad someone else saw this too. I'm assuming you refer to the play where he is heading to tackle Taylor, thinks he goes out of bounds and then just slows to a trot allowing Taylor to pick up another 12-14 yards? If so, you're right. This completely defines Rey. He seems to be the last one to the ball, his instincts have seemed to go way south, and he doesn't have that intensity he played with his rookie year. He looks slow and soft. Improved from the beginning of the year, yes. Acceptable as a leader of the defense, no. Burfict has shown much more desire and better instincts for tracking down the ball this year by far. Albeit that is coming from a different position with different responsibilities, but if you go with just the eye test; Rey doesn't compare even remotely in my book. Let's hope we either keep him for depth or let him loose. Burfict seems to have that 'it' factor you want in a MLB, hopefully we see it next season.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212

It's a close call with Rey seemingly salvaging his career the 2nd half of this season. I certainly don't want to spend big money on him if that's what it would take.

IF they prefer Burfict at WLB and IF they can get him for a cheap-ish deal then I'm interested. We're not exactly overflowing with LB options at the moment. If the market says he's worth real money or they want Burfict in the middle, let him walk.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 401

Can someone please tell me why Burfict is going to be worlds better than Rey? They both aren't very fast, they both aren't great in coverage. So how is Burfict is going to be better than Rey again?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
Can someone please tell me why Burfict is going to be worlds better than Rey? They both aren't very fast, they both aren't great in coverage. So how is Burfict is going to be better than Rey again?
He looks to have better instincts against the run. Plays with a higher energy level. Finishes plays, hence his tackles beating out Rey's with 2 less starts on the season. Does he have areas to improve on, sure. But, he has picked up a position he has never played and done extremely well. We've seen Rey's ceiling at this point and Burfict looks to have much more upside. So, that's how.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
He is on the ball quicker, he gets better angles, and he is 10-1 a better tackler.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 74

I'm 99% sure he's gone. I don't think the Bengals will offer him top pay.

Also unless he's changed his mind in the last year, he doesn't want to be here anyway. I know last year he said he wanted to get back home, the West Coast.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 240

Gotta figure that Burfict will be even better @ MLB that what he's been this year @ WLB. He just demonstrates a much better, (or at least faster processing), football IQ than Rey as well as 'leadership' qualities and intensity. Based on this assumption; Burfict at MLB, Howard back at WLB, (with Lamur in training), re-sign Rey for 2 years and let him fight it out at SLB. Rey did seem to show noticeable improvement in the 2nd half after his mandated wight loss. Maybe with his new physique and lightening the mental load associated with MLB he could be a solid starting LB???
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 33761

I wouldn't mind a LB group that looked like this:

WLB: Thomas Howard
MLB: Vontaze Burfict
SLB: Rey Mauluga

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7448

I think he would make a decent water boy, I have noticed there is one of the present ones, a little late getting to the huddle.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8882

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaBoey31 View Post

Also unless he's changed his mind in the last year, he doesn't want to be here anyway. I know last year he said he wanted to get back home, the West Coast.
I don't think any team will offer him top pay. He'll get about $3 million a year I'd say.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36244

He Will be on the team next year... Book it.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8882

The Bengals will sign him to a 1 year $24 million contract to hit the cap floor.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1038

I suspect Rey will be around until we are able to draft a better replacement.

Remember, we can't afford to have premium guys at every position. Bengal coaches are higher on Rey than Jungle Noise is. He's a guy who can be resigned at a nice affordable price and will be around for a bit.

He has played his best football this season and at times he doesn't bother me. It's hard to find good linebackers. Having an average one in there isn't a huge thing for us. Also, Mike Zimmer made adjustments in the second half of this season to cover up for some of Rey's deficiencies in the pass game. You can bet some of how Hall is being used is in response to that. I really should go back and look at film and give a breakdown of it. I'll see if I can find time.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 893

Rey may not be great, but he's far from a gaping hole. You could replace him, but do you really need to? I don't think so. If a guy like Kulechy from last year is sitting there when you're on the clock, you grab him and you wish Rey well in his future endeavors, but you don't chase that guy. He's not great, he's not even terribly good, he's good enough.

Personally, I'd give Rey a small-ish, short term contract and see who's available in FA and the Draft and go from there. Dunno about FA, but there don't seem to be a lot of blue chip MLBs in the draft, but a few guys who could do very well at WILL or SAM. Get one of those guys, then you let Burfict and Rey compete for the MIKE job. If Burfict wins, the small contract allows you to keep or move Rey if necessary. If Rey wins, then he's either improved his play or we now have confirmation to put MIKE a bit higher on the "Needs" list.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
I'm as down on Rey as almost anyone. However, I will say that over the past few weeks, I haven't really noticed him at all. Now, obviously, that means he isn't making any splash plays, but it also means he's not being a colossal screw up!

I'd prefer that he isn't our MLB of the future, but from what I've seen, he has improved over the 2nd half of the season. If the price is right, keep him for depth, but we certainly don't want to break the bank simply because he's a starter and a captain.

Usually, your middle linebacker looks like a friggin hero playing behind a defensive line like this. It's concerning that he still looks weak when you figure in our strong DT play.

Excellent point. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Let him go or re-sign him only as a backup.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaBoey31 View Post

If thats the case we should try and sell him back to Pete and his Seahawks
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21228

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and in my mind having one of if not the weakest link on your defense being the (Q or MLB of your defense is a recipe for mediocrity !

Watch any 4-3 defense other than Cincinnati and see how the MLB just flows naturally to the ball, hell watch Burfict. Rey struggles with what to do or nearly every play.

Let's move on.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5268

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfan74 View Post
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and in my mind having one of if not the weakest link on your defense being the (Q or MLB of your defense is a recipe for mediocrity !

Watch any 4-3 defense other than Cincinnati and see how the MLB just flows naturally to the ball, hell watch Burfict. Rey struggles with what to do or nearly every play.

Let's move on.
I agree with you.... As usual, lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2094

Quote:

Remember they said that they were just gonna let him play and not worry about switching things around at the line of scrimmage during the beginning of the season.

I also think thats why they brought Crocker back and why since he has came back, we have been steller! Easier to play defense when everyone knows where to line up!

I am also one of the ones who thinks even though Burfict played great at Will, his natural position is in the middle of the defense. I can only imagine how much more production he would have being in the middle. ALSO, having Howard next to Burfict would be amazing.

I see our linebackers being:

Lamur- Sam
Burfict- Mike
Howard- Will

smh.... This is a SOLID line up IMHO
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCMehayward View Post
Remember they said that they were just gonna let him play and not worry about switching things around at the line of scrimmage during the beginning of the season.

I also think thats why they brought Crocker back and why since he has came back, we have been steller! Easier to play defense when everyone knows where to line up!

I am also one of the ones who thinks even though Burfict played great at Will, his natural position is in the middle of the defense. I can only imagine how much more production he would have being in the middle. ALSO, having Howard next to Burfict would be amazing.

I see our linebackers being:

Lamur- Sam
Burfict- Mike
Howard- Will

smh.... This is a SOLID line up IMHO
Looks good on paper but, who knows if that would ever pan out. Could be interesting to have Moch rotate in there as well for blitz packages. If he can ever get himself on the field, what a difference he could've potentially made this year.