Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Enough of DL !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Mj has improved every season since he has been here, dunlap has become a complete player, gillberry is a solid player who has emerged at the end of the season, and atkins is a superstar. We have plenty of cap space to sign these guys as well.

LOL Dunlap is far from being a complete player at this time. He's very inconsistent and takes plays off.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Dunlap is not complete. He is wildly inconsistent.
Is he better than he was? Yes. Does he bring it EVERY game? No.

MJ has also been incredibly average at everything he does.
He isn't a 10 sack guy. I'm incredibly happy he had the year he did but it is also a misleading year.
This line lives and dies around Geno. Plain and simple. You can't last that way for long in the NFL.
That's why I mentioned in another thread I would like for us to sign Henry Melton, could you imagine him next to Geno to help on the pass rush inside. That would be ridiculous.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25303

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
That's why I mentioned in another thread I would like for us to sign Henry Melton, could you imagine him next to Geno to help on the pass rush inside. That would be ridiculous.
He is already talking up his asking price and that would destroy our run D lol.
But I like the line of thinking.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
He is already talking up his asking price and that would destroy our run D lol.
But I like the line of thinking.
well you could always just play Peko on run downs. But yeah that would be awful pricey for a pass rushing rotational DT I agree.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
well you could always just play Peko on run downs. But yeah that would be awful pricey for a pass rushing rotational DT I agree.
That was our plan in week 1 but in the NFL, you try to run that blatant of a rotation with such specific players, teams key on it and we got stuck with our run D out there vs the pass way too often and it killed us vs Baltimore.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:48 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4351

Quote:
Nope.
Which is why I don't see the point in trying a guy like Barrett Jones at C when I think he would only be a marginal upgrade at best.
He is probably the best C in the draft, but I don't think it's his best position.

I was hoping Rex would get fired and NYJ would have a fire sale and cut more expensive guys like Mangold.
I think he would be a huge upgrade at OC, only weakness is with the smaller faster DTs, which is what he will get a lot of practice in facing Atkins. When not dominating he at least holds his own against the bigger stronger DT. Plus with his versatility he would be great insurance if Andre leaves.

As to the OP. Getting guys like Okafor, Ansah, or Werner is never a bad thing. I wouldn't mind taking either of those guys in the 2nd round and picking up Barrett Jones in the 1st. Unless of course the Bengals trade up and grab Teo.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41979

Quote:
Meh. Good some plays, not so good (being kind) others.
He needs to bulk back up for the combine. 286 might work at UL but in the AFCN, he will need to be bigger and stronger.

5-7 round guy right now.
He shows up closer to 300 at the combine and looks strong, he could go higher.
I'm just waiting on our chance for an Alex Mack or Nick Mangold.
Really top tier C prospect.
Benavides used to play at 311-318. Slimmed down tobe more helpful to Bridgewater's game.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Benavides used to play at 311-318. Slimmed down tobe more helpful to Bridgewater's game.
I know. I would like to see him back up there but that is a lot of GOOD weight to add back by the combine.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291

People, I'm not opposed to draft a high DLineman to our roster. What I am opposed to is to spent a 2nd and 3rd rounder to draft guys that never (correct me if I'm wrong) saw the field. If we take one or two bullrush to start or rotate, ok. But we had to take guys from street to improve our Line, so these two picks were not the solution and were wasted for this year. We could have taken I don't know, maybe Mike Adams(Tackle) and Lamar Miller. The team need to evaluate what positions they will improve via free agency and what through the draft, that's only my oppinion.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post
People, I'm not opposed to draft a high DLineman to our roster. What I am opposed to is to spent a 2nd and 3rd rounder to draft guys that never (correct me if I'm wrong) saw the field. If we take one or two bullrush to start or rotate, ok. But we had to take guys from street to improve our Line, so these two picks were not the solution and were wasted for this year. We could have taken I don't know, maybe Mike Adams(Tackle) and Lamar Miller. The team need to evaluate what positions they will improve via free agency and what through the draft, that's only my oppinion.
Why would we want a crappy tackle who would never play over a few guys who have shown promise?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 291

Quote:
Why would we want a crappy tackle who would never play over a few guys who have shown promise?
Its just an example
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47375

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcholas View Post

If you are talking about Still and Thompson, they're not wasted picks. What they are, are picks for the future. There is nothing wrong with stocking the shelves for later, particularly when the draft hands you good players at spots where selecting others might prove dicey in the end.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Agreed. None are worthy of a 1st or 2nd rounder.
Somewhat confused. DL is probably the strongest position in the draft.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 344
bengals Re: Enough of DL !!!

i didnt think this thread even deserves a comment by anyone but honestly is this serious?? stock pile that dline. Just like a car you build inside out. It all starts up front...on both sides.