Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1866
Default Andre Smith vs JJ Watt

I know Watt has improved greatly from his rookie year to his 2nd year player. In 2 games against Andre Smith and the Bengals Watt had 6 tackles and 1 sack. Olbviously he had the biggest play of the 2 games with the pick 6, but he just timed his jump perfectly. Andre Smith I guess u could say neutralized Watt in those 2 contest, so maybe Andre matches up better with a guy like Watt over a Von Miller. Watt is more straight forward with his rush and uses his power to get under the lineman pushing him back into the quarterback. I truly believe that Smith and Zeitler will handle things quite well. The guy who gave us fits last season was Conner Barwin who is having a down year.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20718
Default Re: Andre Smith vs JJ Watt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
I know Watt has improved greatly from his rookie year to his 2nd year player. In 2 games against Andre Smith and the Bengals Watt had 6 tackles and 1 sack. Olbviously he had the biggest play of the 2 games with the pick 6, but he just timed his jump perfectly. Andre Smith I guess u could say neutralized Watt in those 2 contest, so maybe Andre matches up better with a guy like Watt over a Von Miller. Watt is more straight forward with his rush and uses his power to get under the lineman pushing him back into the quarterback. I truly believe that Smith and Zeitler will handle things quite well. The guy who gave us fits last season was Conner Barwin who is having a down year.
Watt was lined up over Mike McGlynn on the pick.
Not Dre.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1866

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Not Dre.
Well if he'll be up against Zeitler most of the game that Zeitler should have an idea on Watts Tendencies and weaknesses.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 646

Watt will have his plays, but I think this year's line is better than last year's. Same with the secondary. I predict a closer game, but - for luck's sake - I'll predict a Texans' victory.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3827

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Not Dre.
Yea that's the thing about Watt, they move him all over the place. I just hope they double him wherever he goes. They know how good he is so I think they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE D-MAN View Post
The only thing a Bengals fan and a Steelers fan can enjoy at the same time is a Steeler fan's sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu View Post
I ****ed a girl from Pittsburgh once. She was a Steelers fan. She was cockeyed and smelled like Rolling Rock and failure.

Last edited by Armoredcar; 01-04-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2288

The are fast and athletic-lets run them the hell over. I am a huge fan of the passing game, but for this game, lets "lean on them!"

Play with a FB, play some 6 man line (with the great wall of Roland)-here we come little men

This will keep us from allowing them to run around us with their speed and quickness which we frankly cant match...

Ian
In some cities when times are difficult, fans encourage their athletes with platitudes like go for the Gold or Go for the Goal, here in Cincinnati we are a little skewed...when times get ruff, we go for the Goat
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Demagii View Post
The are fast and athletic-lets run them the hell over. I am a huge fan of the passing game, but for this game, lets "lean on them!"

Play with a FB, play some 6 man line (with the great wall of Roland)-here we come little men

This will keep us from allowing them to run around us with their speed and quickness which we frankly cant match...

Ian
Roland lol
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73156

You cannot stop Watt. You can only hope he doesn't wreak total havok on the line
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19817

Watt will keep making plays, just have to hope the o-line can make hay on the other ones. As others have said, the o-line is improved, with the only possible slights being Whit's lower level of play and the return of sub-average Cook.

Hopefully the Bengals can keep Leonard or GE in the backfield for help with Watt, either in blocking, or as a quick outlet option. I've always been one for running the ball right at a pass rusher for the first part of the game. Put him on his back enough and he might not have the same explosion off the line the second half.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3270

Last year's O-Line is not THIS year's O-Line.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Watt will keep making plays, just have to hope the o-line can make hay on the other ones. As others have said, the o-line is improved, with the only possible slights being Whit's lower level of play and the return of sub-average Cook.

Hopefully the Bengals can keep Leonard or GE in the backfield for help with Watt, either in blocking, or as a quick outlet option. I've always been one for running the ball right at a pass rusher for the first part of the game. Put him on his back enough and he might not have the same explosion off the line the second half.
if we depend on the blocking abilities of Leonard and GE, especially GE, we are in trouble.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Rep Points: 37

Quote:

I think Andre can handle him honestly. Watt - like the entire Texans team - has really cooled off the last 1/4 of the season. Teams are onto him now, and if Dalton is smart with the ball we should be fine. Watt is quick, but relies more on his power. I think Andre is the kind of LT who can neutralize Watt. Hopefully Dalton doesn't throw his way too much and add to Watt's PD total.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 645

Andre Smith is a different player this year. I really hope that it has nothing to do with his contract year and everything to do with his maturing into an elite. Anyhow, JJ Watt has been exposed as of late. Just tell the guy/guys assigned to block him to bury him until the whistle and he won't be able to bat any passes down. Hard to jump as high as you're able when you have 300+ pounds of lineman burying you.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0

I think it will be a great game, and I am not here to talk any trash about the outcome because I think the Bengals are on fire right now, but the notion that Watt has cooled off or has been exposed is ridiculous.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...5-cd175543f39f

"Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month for December, the second time he has won the award this season.
Watt led the NFL in sacks (six) and forced fumbles (four) in December. He also had 27 tackles and three passes defensed. He had a career-high 10 tackles and three sacks against the Indianapolis Colts in Week 15, his seventh multi-sack game of the season. In the regular season finale at Indianapolis, Watt recorded his 16th pass defensed of the season to establish an NFL record for a defensive lineman."
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 957

If Watt is giving us fits, you only have one choice... do what OTHER teams do... DOUBLE TEAM his arse.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshCochran01 View Post
I think it will be a great game, and I am not here to talk any trash about the outcome because I think the Bengals are on fire right now, but the notion that Watt has cooled off or has been exposed is ridiculous.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...5-cd175543f39f

"Texans defensive end J.J. Watt has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month for December, the second time he has won the award this season.
Watt led the NFL in sacks (six) and forced fumbles (four) in December. He also had 27 tackles and three passes defensed. He had a career-high 10 tackles and three sacks against the Indianapolis Colts in Week 15, his seventh multi-sack game of the season. In the regular season finale at Indianapolis, Watt recorded his 16th pass defensed of the season to establish an NFL record for a defensive lineman."
Josh, you belong in the smack talk forum even if you're not talking smack (which we appreciate). Jungle noise is for Bengal fans only. Since you are here.

As a Bengals fan I am not counting on Watt tailing off in a playoff game. Last year Mercilus just killed us if I recall correctly. The Texans on defense are more than just J.J.
Watt, and it would be a huge mistake just to concentrate souly on him.

On Offense we were wrecked by Adrain Foster and Owen Daniels-frankly we will have as good an answer on Foster running the ball as any team you will face. Tht's the good new for Bengal fans. The bad news is really bad, being minus Thomas Howard makes the Bengals very susceptable to the shallow drag route most noteably from Owen Daniels and Foster from the backfield. We have a very lousy penchant to lose people in the "trash." I am sure Texan coaching staff will now have devised ways to get other Texan receivers and backs into the mix (most noteably Andre Johnson, but I am sure everyone will get a shot). This turns 4year flip passes into 35 yard gains and possibly touchdowns. Combine this with the real QB being at the helm, if the Bengals get constantly creased by this we will lose. If we find a way to solve this it will be a hell of a game.

Smack talk is just down the hall....second door to the right.....

Ian
In some cities when times are difficult, fans encourage their athletes with platitudes like go for the Gold or Go for the Goal, here in Cincinnati we are a little skewed...when times get ruff, we go for the Goat
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 0

Sorry about that. I don't know how I managed to miss the description of the forum being for "BENGALS FANS ONLY". Thanks for letting me know.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17761

Andre Smith might just be the best RT in the league. He'll need to play like it to hold J.J. Watt down.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 665

A very importnat aspect of winning the wild card game..........running the football.

The four consectutive 100 yard running games accumulated by the Cincinnati Bengals during the 2012 National Football League season, was replaced, saddly, with an inept running game and no offensive line protection.

The ability to control JJ Watt would add to Andre Smith's free agent market value, hence a larger dollar contract.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5548

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalRugby View Post
Put him on his back enough and he might not have the same explosion off the line the second half.

Let Zeitler put him on his back and then let Dre sit on him. That oughta help for a quarter.

ALL IN FOR ANDY
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 96

Quote:
Yeah, the pick six completely changed the game. I'm hoping he won't have another game changing play tomorrow. I think our O-line does well against him.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2451

JJ Watt is a fantastic player but i have confidence in gruden to gameplan better and not allow him to dominate. If we can somehow contain Watt, the rest of that defense doesn't scare me.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20718

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerBlitz View Post
JJ Watt is a fantastic player but i have confidence in gruden to gameplan better and not allow him to dominate. If we can somehow contain Watt, the rest of that defense doesn't scare me.
Outside of him the defense has been pathetic and decimated by injuries the back half of the year.