Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632
Default Re: Let's Talk Safetys Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Thank goodness someone else likes him too. Everyone has been posting their top fives, and I haven't seen him yet. He's got the speed, instincts and coverage abilities to be a great safety. He's bigger than Troy Polamalu and Earl Thomas, I don't see the size issue. Everyone wants Matt Elam who is an inch shorter?

Jefferson is a future multi time pro bowler.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2718

Found this about the Safetys, thought I would share.

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post polled scouts prior to this year's all star games on the 2013 senior safety class, and Texas' Kenny Vaccaro topped the list.

In order, the remainder of the list included: Georgia Southern's J.J. Wilcox, USC's T.J. McDonald, Georgia's Bacarri Rambo, Notre Dame's Zeke Motta, Syracuse's Shamarko Thomas, Fresno State's Phillip Thomas, and South Carolina's D.J. Swearinger. Other than Vaccaro, the list is very surprising, since we feel stronger about Swearinger and Thomas compared to the five that are named in front of them.

Source: National Football Post

Really like Vaccaro, he has a complete player feel to him and doesn't go for the kill shot, which these college S seem to do a lot. He led the team in tackles as well. I am also not sure if he can fit another Tat on his body.

I had never heard of Wilcox he was projected in the 7th.

McDonald reminds me of Mays but better in coverage, he is much more fluid then Mays. Many of his big hits will be flagged in the NFL though. He will also miss some tackles in the open field. Good size 6-2 205, production, and bloodlines, dad Tim played in the NFL.

Rambo is well Rambo, reminds me of Nelson in college some.

If we do pick a S it needs to be a guy that is going to play a role on D. We have Sands, Iolka, Miles, and Mays that seem to be locked in as backups. I could see them adding a Vet here instead of DP.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

If we pick a safety, it's not going to be a role player. It's going to be a starter.

I've had Vacarro as the guy I want in the first round for some time now. I can't see anything that would change that barring injury or Jarvis Jones being available in the 20s.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerstripes View Post
If we pick a safety, it's not going to be a role player. It's going to be a starter.

I've had Vacarro as the guy I want in the first round for some time now. I can't see anything that would change that barring injury or Jarvis Jones being available in the 20s.
Depends on who is there, I really want quality over quantity this year. They need to come away with two starters with two of those first three picks. The other a rotation impact guy, pass rusher or offensive weapon. We also have 3 of our first three picks who basically redshirted this year.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6419

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
Depends on who is there, I really want quality over quantity this year. They need to come away with two starters with two of those first three picks. The other a rotation impact guy, pass rusher or offensive weapon. We also have 3 of our first three picks who basically redshirted this year.
IF Vacarro is there with our first pick, I can't think of any other guy that would make as big of an impact as he would. He's the best safety in the class and is the best safety in coverage (both man and zone).

That's the guy who would complete this secondary.

Give me any of the RBs in 2nd round and a LB in the 2nd round and this team should be in great shape.