Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2469
Default First 2013 Mock (Changing Things Around)

1) Alex Okafor, DE Texas- Perfect DE that would fit a rotational scheme that Zimmer uses, or could play all downs if Zimmer leaves and we get a new DC. Either way, UPGRADE!

2) Giovani Bernard, RB UNC- Explosive RB that is a good complement to BJGE but can also handle the load if needed. He is incredibly agile and can catch.

2) Phillip Thomas, S Fresno State- A sound, consistent safety that can play either position. He is a great ball hawk, and he does not take stupid penalties for being overly aggressive and careless. Perfect pairing with Reggie.

3) Sean Porter, OLB Texas A&M- Must admit, I was pegging him solely as a WILL based on this year's production, but he can play either OLB position. He was a converted 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 OLB, and can both rush the passer and drop into coverage.

4) Adrian Bushell, CB Louisville- Sub 4.5 40 time, and he is not big, but is a great cover corner that is not afraid to hit or play in run support. He has an incredible 13 PDs just this year! He has the traits of a typical lockdown corner.

5) Tavarres King, WR Georgia- We have had success with our Georgia picks the past three years (Geno, Boling, AJ, and Orson). Let King compete for WR2 spot, as he has great YPC and is a great deep threat. Good depth if he does not become our starting outside receiver opposite of AJ.

6) Michael Williams, TE Alabama- Blocking TE to replace Roland of such duties, allowing us to not show our hand every time we want to bring in an extra blocker. Williams can catch as well, so he can help hide our offensive plan when he comes in.

6) Kerwynn Williams, RB/KR/PR Utah State- Will be used primarily as our returner, but can be Bernard's backup. He has great hands and is a fast, agile runner too.

If we get a late comp pick, I wouldn't mind seeing us grab a new FB (Lonnie Pryor, FB FSU) and/or a new kicker (Dustin Hopkin, K FSU). But I still like Pressley as a blocking FB and think Brown is consistent and good enough to be our kicker for next year as well.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 01-03-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 12590
Default Re: First 2013 Mock (Changing Things Around)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchoCincos View Post
1) Alex Okafor, DE Texas- Perfect DE that would fit a rotational scheme that Zimmer uses, or could play all downs if Zimmer leaves and we get a new DC. Either way, UPGRADE!

2) Giovani Bernard, RB UNC- Explosive RB that is a good complement to BJGE but can also handle the load if needed. He is incredibly agile and can catch.

2) Phillip Thomas, S Fresno State- A sound, consistent safety that can play either position. He is a great ball hawk, and he does not take stupid penalties for being overly aggressive and careless. Perfect pairing with Reggie.

3) Sean Porter, OLB Texas A&M- Must admit, I was pegging him solely as a WILL based on this year's production, but he can play either OLB position. He was a converted 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 OLB, and can both rush the passer and drop into coverage.

4) Adrian Bushell, CB Louisville- Sub 4.5 40 time, and he is not big, but is a great cover corner that is not afraid to hit or play in run support. He has an incredible 13 PDs just this year! He has the traits of a typical lockdown corner.

5) Tavarres King, WR Georgia- We have had success with our Georgia picks the past three years (Geno, Boling, AJ, and Orson). Let King compete for WR2 spot, as he has great YPC and is a great deep threat. Good depth if he does not become our starting outside receiver opposite of AJ.

6) Michael Williams, TE Alabama- Blocking TE to replace Roland of such duties, allowing us to not show our hand every time we want to bring in an extra blocker. Williams can catch as well, so he can help hide our offensive plan when he comes in.

6) Kerwynn Williams, RB/KR/PR Utah State- Will be used primarily as our returner, but can be Bernard's backup. He has great hands and is a fast, agile runner too.

If we get a late comp pick, I wouldn't mind seeing us grab a new FB (Lonnie Pryor, FB FSU) and/or a new kicker (Dustin Hopkin, K FSU). But I still like Pressley as a blocking FB and think Brown is consistent and good enough to be our kicker for next year as well.
I really like it. I struggle with were to place Okafor, but he is one of my favorites in the 2nd tier.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I really like it. I struggle with were to place Okafor, but he is one of my favorites in the 2nd tier.
Yea there's a chance that we may have to flip flop our first two picks, based on Bernard's combine and the fact some team will always try and reach for a RB in the first just to take the top RB.

I could see Okafor or Ansah being there with 2A, but I think Okafor is more worthy of a first round pick than Bernard. However, I wouldn't be mad if we took Bernard with our first pick and then pick up a good DE in round 2 out of Okafor, Ansah, Datone Jones, or even Margus Hunt.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 302

not a fan from the beginning i dont view okafor as a first rounder...id be upset if we did that. i like the dude in the second tho
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 4929

Quote:
I wouldn't be mad if we took Bernard with our first pick ...
I will flip my ****ing wig and most likely have a rage stroke if we reach for Bernard in the 1st or even at 2a for that matter.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

bengals Re: First 2013 Mock (Changing Things Around)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
I will flip my ****ing wig and most likely have a rage stroke if we reach for Bernard in the 1st or even at 2a for that matter.
i agree 100%. i will actualy take a fat dump at the fifty yard right at the top of the B if we grab bernard in the first or 2a.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPChrisHenry View Post
i agree 100%. i will actualy take a fat dump at the fifty yard right at the top of the B if we grab bernard in the first or 2a.
I know it sounds stupid for me to say a team that needs a RB shouldn't take the "best" one available, but the difference between Bernard, Lacy, Ball, Randle, Lattimore and Franklin is minor. Compared to the drop off between the tier 1 LB, DE, and WR and the second tier, the RB drop off is next to non existent.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 182

Did Phillip Thomas look like a bum to anyone else in bowl game. I get Elam taking it easy...he did a little...he still put his nose in there and blew people up...but Elam took it easy. But Elam can...he is a lock for first 40 picks. Phillip was playing for money. Playing to get in 2-3 round instead of 4-5, but he was no where to be seen.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
Did Phillip Thomas look like a bum to anyone else in bowl game. I get Elam taking it easy...he did a little...he still put his nose in there and blew people up...but Elam took it easy. But Elam can...he is a lock for first 40 picks. Phillip was playing for money. Playing to get in 2-3 round instead of 4-5, but he was no where to be seen.
thomas has a 2nd rd grade right now
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
That lackluster performance vs SMU did nothing to help his stock. Given how poorly Fresno State's D played any above average performance from Thomas would have stood out easily. The fact that he blended in with the rest of that D does not give a good impression.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 499

I like gio but I'm starting to think he is not worth a high pick
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6274

Quote:
not a fan from the beginning i dont view okafor as a first rounder...id be upset if we did that. i like the dude in the second tho
IF (a big if) the Bengals beat the Texans, then the Bengals will most likely draft around the 25th spot.

Our 2nd round pick will be at the worst the 37th overall.

There are twelve (12) slots between our 1st round pick and the 2a pick.

I don't like the concept of drafting a 1st round RB, but WTS, our RB corp is really, really bad. If the Bengals have a chance to fix it with a 1st round RB, I think it is worth consideration.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 PM
VIP Gold Member

I really, really like this draft.

If (and hopefully when) the Bengals get a compensatory pick, I think that they should consider drafting an RT2 to replace/upgrade Roland.

One challenge is the 4th round CB. To me, it would be hard to draft a CB over Kenjon Barner. Bernard/BJGE/Barner/Peerman could be a lethal RB corp. This would also take a lot of pressure off of Andy Dalton and really open up the play-action possibilities.

Drafting a 4th round Barner could/would also free up the Bengals to draft a strong Kicker in the 6th round. I would love, love, love if the Bengals finally had a kicker who could consistantly hit 50+ yarders and an occassional 60+.

I understand that the CB corp is getting old, but I just don't know if a 4th round CB would be an upgrade to a Terence Newman. Though getting a bit long in the tooth, I would be okay with Hall/Dre Kirk/Pacman/Newman/Ghee or Prater or Lewis-Harris.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member

starting to come around on your draft due to the fact that we are going to be picking late(cuz we gonna beat houston) and okafor late in the first would be worht the reach. however, uve gota change bernard our for lacy and phillip thomas weak *** for Kenny vacarro. u do that then i am 100% on board with you on this draft.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
starting to come around on your draft due to the fact that we are going to be picking late(cuz we gonna beat houston) and okafor late in the first would be worht the reach. however, uve gota change bernard our for lacy and phillip thomas weak *** for Kenny vacarro. u do that then i am 100% on board with you on this draft.
There's a good chance Bernard would be gone by our Oakland pick anyway, so I would have no issues drafting Lacy. I just think that Bernard is a better RB overall than Lacy, and I like Lacy a lot. Vaccaro was considered as well, but I also like Thomas' production throughout his career. Don't judge a player solely by one bowl game. Thomas has been a great player throughout his college career. Still, no issues if Bengals went Vaccaro instead of Thomas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma
I know it sounds stupid for me to say a team that needs a RB shouldn't take the "best" one available, but the difference between Bernard, Lacy, Ball, Randle, Lattimore and Franklin is minor. Compared to the drop off between the tier 1 LB, DE, and WR and the second tier, the RB drop off is next to non existent.
I also agree that Bernard is not hands down way better than the rest of the RBs. But he fits in best as a complement to BJGE than the ones you mentioned IMO because of his explosiveness. Plus, he looks to be a good enough all around RB to take over BJGE's duties if anything should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan

If (and hopefully when) the Bengals get a compensatory pick, I think that they should consider drafting an RT2 to replace/upgrade Roland.

One challenge is the 4th round CB. To me, it would be hard to draft a CB over Kenjon Barner. Bernard/BJGE/Barner/Peerman could be a lethal RB corp. This would also take a lot of pressure off of Andy Dalton and really open up the play-action possibilities.

Drafting a 4th round Barner could/would also free up the Bengals to draft a strong Kicker in the 6th round. I would love, love, love if the Bengals finally had a kicker who could consistantly hit 50+ yarders and an occassional 60+.

I understand that the CB corp is getting old, but I just don't know if a 4th round CB would be an upgrade to a Terence Newman. Though getting a bit long in the tooth, I would be okay with Hall/Dre Kirk/Pacman/Newman/Ghee or Prater or Lewis-Harris.
I too like Barner and have had him in quite a few of my previous mocks, but not drafted after another RB. This would indeed make our RB corp amazing for years, and Barner could do return duties too. However, I do like Bushell as a CB and could replace one of our older CBs within a year or two. I definitely like the idea though, as the Bengals tend to go with CB vets that may have regressed a bit in order to fill out the depth chart. Some would say that Bernard and Barner would be overkill, but I wouldn't be one of those people.

I think though that after Oregon's bowl game and especially after the combine, Barner will ascend (back?) into the third round or possibly even late second.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Last edited by OchoCincos; 01-04-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post

I think a good way of being able to do your scenario of Bernard and Barner and taking Dustin Hopkins instead of Kerwynn Williams could be to trade our first round pick to someone like JAX, KC, or ARZ and get their early second and third round picks in return. They will most likely be going for another offensive playmaker with their second round pick, and they could benefit well from jumping up into the late first. Could look something like this...
1: traded down with JAX, KC, or ARZ
2A: Giovani Bernard, RB (or Lacy if Bernard gone)
2B: Best DE available. Should be able to get one of either Okafor, Ansah, Datone Jones, or Margus Hunt.
2C: Phillip Thomas (or Kenny Vaccaro), S
3A: Sean Porter, OLB
3B: Kenjon Barner, RB/KR
4: Adrian Bushell, CB
5: Tavarres King, WR
6A: Michael Williams, TE
6B: Dustin Hopkins, K

Some would say get a backup OT instead of CB, and Ricky Wagner (OT Wisconsin) should fit well in round 4 instead of Bushell, but I think depth/youth at CB will be more beneficial than depth/youth at OT spot. Just personal preference.

Even with Wagner instead of Bushell, that looks to be a pretty nice draft.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
I think a good way of being able to do your scenario of Bernard and Barner and taking Dustin Hopkins instead of Kerwynn Williams could be to trade our first round pick to someone like JAX, KC, or ARZ and get their early second and third round picks in return. They will most likely be going for another offensive playmaker with their second round pick, and they could benefit well from jumping up into the late first. Could look something like this...
1: traded down with JAX, KC, or ARZ
2A: Giovani Bernard, RB (or Lacy if Bernard gone)
2B: Best DE available. Should be able to get one of either Okafor, Ansah, Datone Jones, or Margus Hunt.
2C: Phillip Thomas (or Kenny Vaccaro), S
3A: Sean Porter, OLB
3B: Kenjon Barner, RB/KR
4: Ricky Wagner, RT2
5: Tavarres King, WR
6A: Michael Williams, TE
6B: Dustin Hopkins, K

Some would say get a backup OT instead of CB, and Ricky Wagner (OT Wisconsin) should fit well in round 4 instead of Bushell, but I think depth/youth at CB will be more beneficial than depth/youth at OT spot. Just personal preference.

Even with Wagner instead of Bushell, that looks to be a pretty nice draft.
If the Bengals were to add a veteran FA starting WR2, SS2, SAM2, & CB5 coupled with this draft, then the sky is the limit for the Bengals.

QB: Dalton/Gradkowski*
RB: Bernard/BJGE/Barner/Peerman/Pressley
WR: Green/Jones, FA/King, Sanu/Hawkins
TE: Gresham/Charles/Williams
Oline: Whit/Collins, Boling/Wharton, Robinson/Cook, Zeitler, Smith/Wagner

Dline: MJ/Okafor, Atkins/Still, Peko/Thompson/Sims, Dunlap/Gilberry
LB: Howard/Lemur, Burfict/Maualuga, Porter/FA
CB: Hall, Dre/Newman, Pacman/FA,Prater or Ghee
S: Nelson/Iloka, Vaccaro/Mays/FA

ST: Hopkins/Huber/Harris

2014 priorities: Top (C, CB, LB ), Middle (S, LG, QB )
2015: LT

*I also feel that the Bengals have an option to really, really upgrade their back up QB in the 2013 off-season. Gradkowski is one of the highest paid back up QBs. We could reduce the pay and get a much better QB (Campbell, Carr,Vick?).

Last edited by mulligan; 01-04-2013 at 11:04 PM.