Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759
Default Boon's First Mock

Projections based on CBS and some other random mocks that I've checked out.

Assumptions: We bring back Andre, MJ..Overall retain our key guys. Personally, I hope they let Maulaluga go but I think that could go either way. Regardless, I see the LB position in major need of upgrades.

FA: I assume nothing in FA. Bengals bring in some guys. Some of them may turn out to be good but I expect them not to make a splash in FA (and I am fine with that assuming they keep 'their' guys).

Round 1: Matt Elam SS Florida

As much as I'd love to mock Elam in the 2nd I think realistically if they want him they need to take him here. Could also see them going with Vicarro or in a number of different directions. I see Elam as an extremely active, instinctive player that brings passion and enthusiasm to the game. Would be a great fit for Zim's scheme. Athletic enough to cover slot receivers. Strong enough to be a factor in run support. A playmaker.

Round 2A: DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson

This is a luxury pick (thanks, Carson!). Like many of you, I was salivating over Hopkins performance v. LSU. I think he'd be an ideal guy opposite AJ. Could still play Sanu and Jones. I realize Hopkins may not be here...but somebody will fall. That could be Xavier Rhodes, etc. At this pick the Bengals should go BPA if it is a need (even if it is not the most pressing of needs). If Hopkins stock continues to rise, I'd have no issue taking him in one and hoping that Elam falls here. They could also look at a guy like Tony Jefferson at this spot if he doesn't.

Round 2: Khasheem Greene OLB Rutgers

The Bengals need to get more athletic at the LB position. Lawson and Rey often look like they're playing in slo mo. Greene is just a helluva good football player. Has a nose for the ball and excels in coverage. He could go higher but his size could cause many to pass on an outstanding player in favor of someone with more 'upside'

Round 3: Mike Gillisee RB Florida

I probably butchered this guy’s name again but whatever...he's a very good all around back. Athletic enough to make plays in the passing game. Stout enough to hold up as a blocker (which is crucial for any RB the Bengals look at). RB is clearly a need. I think Gillissee has an opportunity to make an immediate impact.

Round 4: Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon

I like this guy a lot. Some character concerns but plays with a mean streak and has a nose for the ball. Also athletic enough to hold up in pass coverage and play at other LB spots. Gives you a young LB corp of Burfict, Greene and Alonso. Instant upgrade all the way around.

Round 5: Mario Benvedies C Lousiville

Not completely sold on this pick. I think C is a need regardless of having Cook and Robinson. Could also go CB, OG or DE.

Round 6 and 7:

Honestly, I got nothin. Feel free to insert your guys to complete the mock.

Edit- Anybody know why this site is fickle about uploading photos? they show up in the draft...then disapeer in the post. I'll mess with it later I guess...

Last edited by D.Boon; 01-04-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 209
Default Re: Boon's First Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
Projections based on CBS and some other random mocks that I've checked out.

Assumptions: We bring back Andre, MJ..Overall retain our key guys. Personally, I hope they let Maulaluga go but I think that could go either way. Regardless, I see the LB position in major need of upgrades.

FA: I assume nothing in FA. Bengals bring in some guys. Some of them may turn out to be good but I expect them not to make a splash in FA (and I am fine with that assuming they keep 'their' guys).

Round 1: Matt Elam SS Florida

As much as I'd love to mock Elam in the 2nd I think realistically if they want him they need to take him here. Could also see them going with Vicarro or in a number of different directions. I see Elam as an extremely active, instinctive player that brings passion and enthusiasm to the game. Would be a great fit for Zim's scheme. Athletic enough to cover slot receivers. Strong enough to be a factor in run support. A playmaker.

Round 2A: DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson

This is a luxury pick (thanks, Carson!). Like many of you, I was salivating over Hopkins performance v. LSU. I think he'd be an ideal guy opposite AJ. Could still play Sanu and Jones. I realize Hopkins may not be here...but somebody will fall. That could be Xavier Rhodes, etc. At this pick the Bengals should go BPA if it is a need (even if it is not the most pressing of needs). If Hopkins stock continues to rise, I'd have no issue taking him in one and hoping that Elam falls here. They could also look at a guy like Tony Jefferson at this spot if he doesn't.

Round 2: Khasheem Greene OLB Rutgers

The Bengals need to get more athletic at the LB position. Lawson and Rey often look like they're playing in slo mo. Greene is just a helluva good football player. Has a nose for the ball and excels in coverage. He could go higher but his size could cause many to pass on an outstanding player in favor of someone with more 'upside'

Round 3: Mike Gillisee RB Florida

I probably butchered this guy’s name again but whatever...he's a very good all around back. Athletic enough to make plays in the passing game. Stout enough to hold up as a blocker (which is crucial for any RB the Bengals look at). RB is clearly a need. I think Gillissee has an opportunity to make an immediate impact.

Round 4: Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon

I like this guy a lot. Some character concerns but plays with a mean streak and has a nose for the ball. Also athletic enough to hold up in pass coverage and play at other LB spots. Gives you a young LB corp of Burfict, Greene and Alonso. Instant upgrade all the way around.

Round 5: Mario Benvedies C Lousiville

Not completely sold on this pick. I think C is a need regardless of having Cook and Robinson. Could also go CB, OG or DE.

Round 6 and 7:

Honestly, I got nothin. Feel free to insert your guys to complete the mock.

Edit- Anybody know why this site is fickle about uploading photos? they show up in the draft...then disapeer in the post. I'll mess with it later I guess...

Good to see some more people mocking Hopkins! This has been my fav. prospect for a really long time!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41503
Default Re: Boon's First Mock

This mock receives the bfine seal of approval.