Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2194
Default Jarvis Jones dropping in draft

Georgia's Jarvis Jones will enter the draft but his draft stock seems to be slipping. Have seen a couple mocks with him outside the top 10. If he drops out of the top 10 do we start thinking hard about moving up to get him. I know he has some red flags but he could also be a total difference maker.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 47375
Default Re: Jarvis Jones dropping in draft

Time will tell. All-star games and combine usually have a way of picking falling talents back up.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 6678

He is dropping in the mocks? That's just pure speculation by guys who aren't on the inside.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's not taken in the top 5, but I don't see him sliding out of the top 10. I don't see a 3-4 team passing on him.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:33 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73633

I would be afraid of a guy with spinal stenosis, but the medical check will clear that up for the better or worse
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I would be afraid of a guy with spinal stenosis, but the medical check will clear that up for the better or worse

Found one article with some people who were affected as examples

__________________________________________________ ________________

Some of the biggest names in the sport have been affected by the condition. Here are just a select few cases:

- Cooper Manning – older brother of Peyton and Eli – was diagnosed with the condition in 1992. It ended his career. Archie Manning had both other brothers tested immediately afterwards due to the severity of the issue. Neither had the condition.

- Michael Irvin retired in 1999 after receiving advice from doctors. He was diagnosed with spinal stenosis after suffering a non-life-threatening spinal injury in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles. The injury cut short a Hall of Fame career.

- Marcus McNeill was diagnosed with the condition prior to the 2006 NFL draft and it forced his fall into round two. One of the most talented offensive lineman to enter the league in recent memory was the seventh tackle to leave the board that year. At the age of just 28 he has been forced to retire, despite signing a six-year, $49 million with the Chargers after an impressive start to his pro career.

- Chris Samuels was the #3 overall pick in 2000, having built a reputation blocking for Shaun Alexander at Alabama. He spent nine years with the Washington Redskins before retiring aged 32. The reason? Samuels suffered temporary upper-body paralysis after a big hit in pass protection against the Carolina Panthers in 2009. The issue was blamed on spinal stenosis, a condition he was diagnosed with as a child. He was advised to cease playing immediately.

- Speculation suggested Rob Gronkowski had spinal stenosis after a series of back problems during his college career in Arizona. Agent Drew Rosenhaus was forced to deny the reports from NFLDraftScout.com prior to the 2010 draft. There were fears the talk could further push Gronkowski’s stock down the board, with lingering concerns over his back already leading to a second round fall.

I
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoxyod View Post
I can't think of any guys that have had their careers limited by spinal stenosis.

Kevin Hardy is the last example of a high pick that had a reported issue. He went #2 overall and had a long career.

Spinal stenosis doesn't worry me nearly as much as a guy that has a bulging disc that requires surgery.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Well, there's a list of guys right there.

I still wouldn't be scared away. All of those guys played at a high level and made it through their rookie deals.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 13

if he falls out of the top 10 i think we have to trade up for him. He's a difference maker at a position of need, his pass rush with our d-line will give offensive coordinators nighmares. The new cba has made trades easier in the draft and a talent like jones at a position of need i say get him.

The most important needs then would be, to me, safety and rb. I dont like spending first rd picks on rb and the safety class is deep.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9144

Alabama ran straight at him for most of their yards in the second half of the SEC chamionship game. Now granted Bama was holding on every other play but it didn't look good with him getting pushed around like that.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 318
Bal Re: Jarvis Jones dropping in draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsfromCanada View Post
if he falls out of the top 10 i think we have to trade up for him. He's a difference maker at a position of need, his pass rush with our d-line will give offensive coordinators nighmares. The new cba has made trades easier in the draft and a talent like jones at a position of need i say get him.

The most important needs then would be, to me, safety and rb. I dont like spending first rd picks on rb and the safety class is deep.
I don't think trading up is smart, gotta backfill the old talent, gotta fill current needs, and lastly gotta draft in case we can't resign our own. Trading up to lose picks is a bad idea in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3438

According to the trade chart, if Jones fell to say 10th in the draft, it would cost us our 1st and our early 2nd, to trade up and get him. I'm not in favor of trading up, but for him, if healthy, it is tempting.