Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: Need legal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
The people saying that the drinking age should be 18 or 19, I disagree, and it's not really about being able to handle the alcohol (which the brains are still developing more, so alcohol has more of an effect), but it's more just about how a teenager's mind operates. If you're 18, chances are that you're still in high school, and imagine how much more dangerous our world would be if high school seniors could legally drink out in the open.
Respectfully disagree brad. I think the reverse would happen. The rebellion of obtaining alcohol and doing something you're not allowed to do would cease. The "problem" kids are going to be a problem anyway. And you'll NEVER convince me a kid at 21 is better able to handle drinking, in any capacity, than a 19, or even most 18 year olds. That's like saying putting an M-16 in the hands of an 18 year old is less responsible than the 21 year olds.

As with everything else, it starts, once again, with good parenting. And sensible regulation.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 53949

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
Respectfully disagree brad. I think the reverse would happen. The rebellion of obtaining alcohol and doing something you're not allowed to do would cease. The "problem" kids are going to be a problem anyway. And you'll NEVER convince me a kid at 21 is better able to handle drinking, in any capacity, than a 19, or even most 18 year olds. That's like saying putting an M-16 in the hands of an 18 year old is less responsible than the 21 year olds.

As with everything else, it starts, once again, with good parenting. And sensible regulation.
Good point. It all has more to do with the learning curve than maturity. Eighteen year olds are pretty much as mature as 21 year olds.

there have been studies about raising the driving age from 16 to 18 because some people claim that 18 year olds would be better, safer drivers. But the data shows that when they are first learning to drive 18 year olds are no safer than 16 year olds.

If you are old enough to get married, die for your country, or enter into any type of legal contract then you are old enough to drink.

In fact I would argue that it would be MUCH better for kids to have their first exposure to alcohol when they are still in their parents home instead of being out on their own with no supervision.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7276

If 18 is old enough to fight and die for your country, then it's old enough to drink, smoke, and act like an irresponsible adult.

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5919

I know most don't care. But I don't want to be known as a "fibber". So I gotta give an update.

Just got done opening the mail, and for the 3rd time her Pre-Trial date has been postponed,
till 1/29.

Just want it over at this point.
Thanks for listening.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Spicyweiner View Post
I know most don't care. But I don't want to be known as a "fibber". So I gotta give an update.

Just got done opening the mail, and for the 3rd time her Pre-Trial date has been postponed,
till 1/29.

Thanks for listening.
Gotta love the court system! Good luck. I'm sure she'll be fine though!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36580

I just think that you should be able to drink before you are able to drive. That way, you get that initial party phase out of the way before you go out an do stupid things.

Ok, so this isn't really my stance because truthfully it wouldn't work. But it makes sense to me. We just need to change the attitude we have toward alcohol in this country, but that is a task that would be immensely difficult.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1579

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS GOING TO SOUND IN TYPE MUCH NASTIER THAN IF THIS WERE IN CONVERSATION.

Reality check.....

OP, you are rationalizing that you've raised a good kid because of a GPA and soccer captain? Uh... NO. You have a kid who, before getting out of high school, has already begun drinking and driving. And... let me make sure I understand you correctly.... This was her "first time" doing that, right? Drinking and driving is one of the worst offenses our society has in my opinion. Her judgement, despite what these idiots calling for a lowered drinking age say, is already impaired - evidenced by her choices to drink in the first place.

Your other problem is the "She had a glass of wine and a beer". Your kid has been drinking, drinking and driving, and doing what else with whoever for (probably) the past 2/3 years. - THAT is what your mindset should be. Kids today are absolute MESSES and must be actively guided all the way through college. Hell, most of these dumb mother F'ers on this message board are complete losers in life..... I DIDN'T SAY ALL. To take advice from them on something like this would be, well..... not weighing the severity of this very correctly, which - given your parenting history that you've put out there...... would be par for your course.

My advice (even though I said don't take any of this above)....

1st: Help her out of it. With the condition of "One time only". And you must mean that. She has to see you more serious, disappointed, angry than ever before.

2nd: If you do help her, even if she gets let off the hook.... Make her volunteer to go through and do EVERYTHING the court would normally make her do. The classes, a ride along, writing a paper, whatever. Also... MAKE HER PAY YOU BACK.

Everyone is sitting there saying "Die for your country, she's an adult, blah blah blah.". 2 things. 1: The country NEEDS soldiers..... NOT more drunk morons partying it up. 2: Real, responsible adults pay for their own mistakes.

Good luck to you and your daughter. I know this was harsh and nasty but, WTF man? She didn't get caught cheating on a test. This is real life - for the rest of her life. Treat it as such and she will be a better person for it.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS GOING TO SOUND IN TYPE MUCH NASTIER THAN IF THIS WERE IN CONVERSATION.

Reality check.....

OP, you are rationalizing that you've raised a good kid because of a GPA and soccer captain? Uh... NO. You have a kid who, before getting out of high school, has already begun drinking and driving. And... let me make sure I understand you correctly.... This was her "first time" doing that, right? Drinking and driving is one of the worst offenses our society has in my opinion. Her judgement, despite what these idiots calling for a lowered drinking age say, is already impaired - evidenced by her choices to drink in the first place.

Your other problem is the "She had a glass of wine and a beer". Your kid has been drinking, drinking and driving, and doing what else with whoever for (probably) the past 2/3 years. - THAT is what your mindset should be. Kids today are absolute MESSES and must be actively guided all the way through college. Hell, most of these dumb mother F'ers on this message board are complete losers in life..... I DIDN'T SAY ALL. To take advice from them on something like this would be, well..... not weighing the severity of this very correctly, which - given your parenting history that you've put out there...... would be par for your course.

1st: Help her out of it. With the condition of "One time only". And you must mean that. She has to see you more serious, disappointed, angry than ever before.

2nd: If you do help her, even if she gets let off the hook.... Make her volunteer to go through and do EVERYTHING the court would normally make her do. The classes, a ride along, writing a paper, whatever. Also... MAKE HER PAY YOU BACK.

Everyone is sitting there saying "Die for your country, she's an adult, blah blah blah.". 2 things. 1: The country NEEDS soldiers..... NOT more drunk morons partying it up. 2: Real, responsible adults pay for their own mistakes.

Good luck to you and your daughter. I know this was harsh and nasty but, WTF man? She didn't get caught cheating on a test. This is real life - for the rest of her life. Treat it as such and she will be a better person for it.
I rationalize her being a good kid because she is and I have spent 18 years working on it.

I'm not naive, she grew up in a family, in a community that drinks.
She made a bad decision, and will pay for it. She has already been made aware that there will be no support from me if would happen again.(Besides moral).
And she will pay me back.
Don't judge me for asking advice.
I think I understand your post, and appreciate your opinion.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Reality check.....

I'll be sure to enjoy a roady on the way home from work after reading this comical diaster.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I rationalize her being a good kid because she is and I have spent 18 years working on it.

I'm not naive, she grew up in a family, in a community that drinks.
She made a bad decision, and will pay for it. She has already been made aware that there will be no support from me if would happen again.(Besides moral).
And she will pay me back.
Don't judge me for asking advice.
I think I understand your post, and appreciate your opinion.

- Didn't work on it well enough. Evidenced by her recent arrest.

- Family and community that drinks? Sounds like a recipe for success

- Sounds like she made several bad decisions in a row.... Certainly not her first time.

- Air your dirty laundry in public, people are going to tell you it stinks. Sorry your feelings are hurt. Blame yourself, then your daughter, then yourself again for posting about it.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

- Sounds like she made several bad decisions in a row.... Certainly not her first time.

- Air your dirty laundry in public, people are going to tell you it stinks. Sorry your feelings are hurt. Blame yourself, then your daughter, then yourself again for posting about it.

You sound like you're on the rag. Keep going please.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post
I'll be sure to enjoy a roady on the way home from work after reading this comical diaster.
I'm sure your family is proud of you.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You sound like you're on the rag. Keep going please.
You sound like you're drunk..... All the time.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:

You ain't perfect brother. So maybe you shouldn't judge.

People who drink can have happy successful lives. the fact that you don't know this shows how stupid you are. So why should anyone pat attention to your preaching when you obviously don't know what you ared talking about?

And saying that kids "today" need to be supervised through college also shows how clueless you are. you obviously don't have any kids that age.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
-

please list the others Mr. All Knowing God. Sounds to me like you were a failure when you were that age so you are just assuming everyone is.

In fact I'll brt you grew up in the nineties when high school kids smoked more than they do now, got pregnant more than they do now and killed each other more than they do now. You sound exactly like a member of that failure generation that was much wotrse than kids today. How old are you?

Last edited by fredtoast; 01-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thanks for your opinion Richard.
I'm sure your kids, if you ever find someone to procreate with, will be thrilled to have you as a "father".
I bet everyone wishes they could be the great parent that 68 Firebird is.
You are now my new hero!
Will you go away now?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19459

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post

You don't think 18 year olds would start buying beer for their friends that are in high school and ages 14, 15, 16, and 17?

It wouldn't be like college where kids could just go out and have a few beers and be fine. Plus, how many high school kids do you know that have a beer just to have a beer?

About the 21 year olds being able to handle the alcohol better than an 18 or 19 year old, look it up or come to one of my presentations when I have a nurse with me explaining how the brain operates and the fact that it's not fully developed til age 25, so kids reasoning and decision making skills are off. So, even if alcohol wouldn't effect the brain as much (which it does), kids still wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility of drinking.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Quote:
You don't think 18 year olds would start buying beer for their friends that are in high school and ages 14, 15, 16, and 17?

It wouldn't be like college where kids could just go out and have a few beers and be fine. Plus, how many high school kids do you know that have a beer just to have a beer?

About the 21 year olds being able to handle the alcohol better than an 18 or 19 year old, look it up or come to one of my presentations when I have a nurse with me explaining how the brain operates and the fact that it's not fully developed til age 25, so kids reasoning and decision making skills are off. So, even if alcohol wouldn't effect the brain as much (which it does), kids still wouldn't be able to handle the responsibility of drinking.
Don't know what nures you have been listening to , but your cognitive functions are fully developed FAR before age 25. You might want to look into what information she is talking about.

To me the big issue is having kids experience alcohol for the first time when they are living with their parents instead of when they are out on their own.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 7276

Quote:

Ah to be young again. Well as someone who lived through just that, no when I was 18 and legally able to buy and consume alcohol (as well as wear a uniform and be drafted to go to war), none of us thought for a moment about buying alcohol for a minor. We have ours, they can find there's. It was the same as trying to get a 16 year old girl to go to bed with you. Jail bait! No way was the typical response.

So no I don't see where there is any temptation at all and having been there and seen that, no there wasn't any temptation to buy alcohol for minors. And the bunch of kids I knew had few inhibitions about not adhering to the law in most other regards.

October 24, 1937
Crosley Field in Cincinnati, Ohio
Los Angeles Bulldogs at Cincinnati Bengals

Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 963

Quote:

till 1/29.

Thanks for listening.
I think mine took about 6 months before I actually stepped foot into the courtroom. Is the lawyer giving you any idea what is going to happen? Good luck!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

This is silly. Look at Germany's drinking laws and most kids that drink there that are 16 are more responsible than 21 year olds here.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 9474

Quote:
I thought Ohio was 0 tolerance and it was anything above .00?

Anyhow, depends on what city you live in. If it were to happen in the city I live in, then hell yeah I'd advise to get a lawyer. Most won't drop it down to wreckless op without an attorney. I'm assuming that's what you would want..
I was born and raised in Ohio.One of my brothers is a police officer there.I need to call him to varify the 0 tolerance thing but if it is true then a person could be charged simply by using mouthwash.
They try to convince people that it is about saving lives when it is really about making money. I used to date a PO and she drinks like a fish and drives all of the time. In fact I have been out with her before doing shots and she insisted on driving because she knew the officers on duty and knew that she would be let go if pulled over. Truth! America...the land of the double standard.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21523

In a revenue driven society she is going to get nailled. You have to get a lawyer.

Wait, this is an old thread?

Last edited by HarleyDog; 01-05-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
I was born and raised in Ohio.One of my brothers is a police officer there.I need to call him to varify the 0 tolerance thing but if it is true then a person could be charged simply by using mouthwash.
They try to convince people that it is about saving lives when it is really about making money. I used to date a PO and she drinks like a fish and drives all of the time. In fact I have been out with her before doing shots and she insisted on driving because she knew the officers on duty and knew that she would be let go if pulled over. Truth! America...the land of the double standard.
You would have to drink a **** ton of mouth wash for it to register.

And yeah gotta love double standards. ****ers lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17782

Quote:

Reality check.....

Although I will get jacked for this also I will say this.

This is correct.

Despite the good parenting this kid made a stupid mistake. A life threatening mistake. Any defense or conversation is contrary.

I don;t care about any conversation other than a person committed a crime and there is no defense.

Not " Oh she just had this or that.

Or :this was the first time"

What does it matter if this was the first time. Thank God she didn't kill someone. She has every right to kill herself but she has no right...whether it be the first time, or a lapse in judgement or whatever to kill me or a member of my family