Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 11
Default Re: La Canfora from CBS hearing Front Office Rumours

A GM is not always the answer. Matt Millen Detroit, Scott Pioli KC, Holmgren Cleveland.
The MEN have made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. The drafts have been some of the best. The real problem is the HC. Terrible game manager. Always played not to lose as opposed to playing to win. We have seen some change in that philosphy this year. Lets hope it continues on Sat. Also, Dalton needs a better clock in his head to get rid of ball. He has become myopic.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
What about Rey?

He was tons better as a SLB, but struggled moving to the middle.

He too was a MLB in college, at a better program at that.
I noticed that, too.

Don't know why, but I had much higher hopes of Rey's play when we drafted him. Not that he's been a bad pick. He's just not been what I had hoped he would be.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post
I noticed that, too.

Don't know why, but I had much higher hopes of Rey's play when we drafted him. Not that he's been a bad pick. He's just not been what I had hoped he would be.
Until we find our next Odell or our Rey Lewis they will always seem disappointing but his play has been decent
Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

They had a good discussion on the radio on my drive to work this morning about how stats lie for defensive players. Sheer tackle numbers aren't that telling.

Is a guy getting double-teamed? Is a guy making solo tackles? Is a guy blowing assignments?

A MLB gets double-teamed a lot more than an OLB in general. It's just a tougher position to play.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 16671

This scares me.

Not that I don't want it to happen, but that I am afraid of getting my hopes up.

I would love to see Marvin as GM, he is a better fit there than as HC.

Zimmer as HC would be perfect, and what this team needs.

I say Hue as OC, and there are several good DCs out there.

"I do solemnly swear to Protect and Defend the Consitution of the United States of America Against All Enemies Foereign and Domestic."
We swear to Protect and Defend a Consitution not a party, or a president
Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
Until we find our next Odell or our Rey Lewis they will always seem disappointing but his play has been decent
Yep!

Still amazing how great Odell's potential was, and how he p!ssd it all away. As a team, we still haven't recovered from Odell's failures. He could have surpassed Polamalu.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 30834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
The day Mike Brown is removed from the equation should be declared a holiday in Cincinnati.
So true. I will literally weep for joy when this day happens. Mike Brown has been a constant foot on the neck of Cincinnati since he came here. I dont care if the Carson deal was good or if we've made it to the play offs for back to back years since 1982. Mike Brown needs to step down for the 20+ years of agony and expense he's put this city through.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 31623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
What about Rey?

He was tons better as a SLB, but struggled moving to the middle.

He too was a MLB in college, at a better program at that.
That crossed my mind, but Rey's problems are mental, not physical.

He just doesn't have the instincts or natural smarts to excel at the position.

Rey's weakness is Burfict's strength, and that's why I want to see him in the middle.

Sig by CinWillWin
Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
They had a good discussion on the radio on my drive to work this morning about how stats lie for defensive players. Sheer tackle numbers aren't that telling.

Is a guy getting double-teamed? Is a guy making solo tackles? Is a guy blowing assignments?

A MLB gets double-teamed a lot more than an OLB in general. It's just a tougher position to play.
Which is why Rey needs to be moved back. His natural instincts and vision are not comperable to Burfict.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8451

Quote:
Yep!

Still amazing how great Odell's potential was, and how he p!ssd it all away. As a team, we still haven't recovered from Odell's failures. He could have surpassed Polamalu.
Quite the bold statement.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 19224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

Rey's weakness is Burfict's strength, and that's why I want to see him in the middle.
But being on the outside allows him to free-lance more and better use of his natural instincts.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
Quite the bold statement.
Probably true. I have no basis in fact to type this, but I think Marvin had a different vision in mind for this team. Building it into a Ravens type defensive powerhouse, like he had when he was the DC in Baltimore. Odell was part of that plan.

Odell could have been a player that ML could have built a powerful defense around, particularly given how the Bengals would go on to draft two of the top CBs on the same team at the same time (J Jo and Hall).

I often wonder how ML would have shaped this team if given draft and player personnel control (which I think he has had the last 2-3 seasons) back when Carson was drafted?

At the time, Kitna was still very serviceable. He wasn't going to win any passing titles, but he could run the offense better than anyone. Could ML have parlayed the picks he would have received by trading down into a team like we now have? Great defense....serviceable offense?

Again, all speculation but I wonder about this often.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 36492

"heard some rumblings that perhaps... "

In other words the author actually has no clue.

Mike Brown us Paul's son. Unfortunately he does not possess the same skill. But don't tell that to Mike. He has something to prove. He is one stubborn mofo.

this team would actually have a better record if Mike fired himself and just left the GM position open. That is how bad he is at his job. His record speaks for itself. It is ver hard to lose as much as the Bengals have over the years without actually trying to lose. there is too much parity baked into the NFL for any team to lose in so many consecutive seasons.

But Mike ain't goin anywhere. He is stubborn. And he is self employed.

Where you find this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SociopathicSteelerFan View Post
You... being a... racist
Quote:
you've made a lot of racist statements in this thread...
Quote:
I'll take my being a pompous *** over your being a vile racist.
Followed immediately by this:
Quote:
I don't, personally, think you're a racist.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35140

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone77 View Post
"heard some rumblings that perhaps... "

In other words the author actually has no clue.

Mike Brown us Paul's son. Unfortunately he does not possess the same skill. But don't tell that to Mike. He has something to prove. He is one stubborn mofo.

this team would actually have a better record if Mike fired himself and just left the GM position open. That is how bad he is at his job. His record speaks for itself. It is ver hard to lose as much as the Bengals have over the years without actually trying to lose. there is too much parity baked into the NFL for any team to lose in so many consecutive seasons.

But Mike ain't goin anywhere. He is stubborn. And he is self employed.
If he was so stubborn he wouldnt be giving marvin and katie more control every year.

And Ryan mallet would be are starting QB.. And Vontaze Burfict would not be on the team
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post

Same with Taylor Mays. Great athlete. 0 football sense.

Safety and MLB are very comparable positions from a responsibility perspective.

Now an OLB only had his side of the field to worry about.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
If he was so stubborn he wouldnt be giving marvin and katie more control every year.

And Ryan mallet would be are starting QB.. And Vontaze Burfict would not be on the team
If he wasn't stubborn he would've admitted he was ill-equipped to run a football team a long time ago. I really can't see how someone could honestly try to debate this. Why not try arguing that water isn't all that wet?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalTrucker View Post
This scares me.

Not that I don't want it to happen, but that I am afraid of getting my hopes up.

I would love to see Marvin as GM, he is a better fit there than as HC.

Zimmer as HC would be perfect, and what this team needs.

I say Hue as OC, and there are several good DCs out there.
I'd say Grudens first 2 years resulting in playoffs is a pretty good sign he isn't going anywhere so I'm thinking all the Hue to OC play is gonna need to seize till Gruden takes a HC position
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1282

Quote:
Mike Brown never did take the title of GM. Now, point of fact, his duties may have mirrored those of a traditional GM, he never considered anyone in the organization to be the GM....including himself. He's the owner.
Not true. Mike Brown gets yearly million dollar bonus checks for being the GM.

Anyone saying Marvin Lewis getting "promoted" to GM is crazy. Head coach to GM is at best a lateral move and more like a demotion. I highly doubt Lewis would want to be a GM. Coaches love to coach and nothing else.

That being said, Bill Polian pretty please.

@henrizzle182
ಠ_ಠ
Old 01-05-2013, 02:36 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 2228

Just throwing this out there. We have made the playoffs three of the last four years and have done it for two years in a row now. We have a young nucleus that has bought into Marvin's system.

I like the fact MB is giving him more control to Marvin, but lets not fix something that is not broke. We know Marvin is the winning-est coach in Bengals history, and has really helped bring the organization back to a level of respectability.

Lets at least wait until we are done with our post season run before we start re-organizing the team.

Who knows, maybe Zimmer is at his best at defensive co-ordinator, maybe he is like many other coordinators who have failed has head coaches. Do we want to risk it? If we did not have Marvin, I would be up for giving him a chance at head coach, but right now we have a coach that is doing well. Lets not upset the apple cart.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:11 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 977

I love that pic of Tez lol. Epically awesome .

I have no idea how you guys put pics there, but you all come up with some cool stuff

Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24334
bengals Re: La Canfora from CBS hearing Front Office Rumours

I have real mixed feelings on the entire GM deal. I am a firm believer that player personel decisions should be up to the HC. If a guy is responsible for the outcome on the field then he should have the power to decide who is taking the field. Coaches have different schemes and different feelings of what or who works within that scheme.

To me a GM should just handle the financial side of things. A coach should tell him who he wants and the GM should tell him if it is feasible within their current cap situation. If it then it should be up to the GM to get the deal done.

Marvin has worked extremely hard getting this franchise to a point of culture change. A culture change that was desperately needed. I think this is something that is lost upon many fans. Changing a culture or an engrained ideology is not an easy thing to do.

I also agree with those who have brought up that Marvin very well could have no interest in being a GM. Some act as if it is something he has said he wants. I am not so sure this is true. Especially given the fact that he has stated he likes not having a middle man to deal with. Coaches are a special breed and it could very well be that that is what he wants to do.

Others continue to talk about Zimmer as HC. I have seen it stated he would be perfect for it. Again something that may not be as cut and dried as some seem to think. Facts are that Mike has interviewed for several HC positions and even with his lofty resume has not been hired. While we all like his straight forward approach it could be the very thing that keeps him from the job. There is a certain amount of politics that go into being the HC and it may be something he is lacking.

As well, there are many that have been very good coordinators on their respective side of the ball that have turned out to not be very good HCs. I saw living proof of this with Lebeau. Great coordinator terrible HC.

I guess right now I would have to stay with do not fix what is not broke. It seems that whomever is making personel decisions over the last few seasons is doing an extremely good job of it. This roster is being put together with an outstanding young core and to me is being built for longevity and success for years to come. Many do not agree with the FA policy but that is another debate.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Banned

Rep Points: -88
Default GM?

I seen a tweet a week or so saying the bengals may hire a GM. I don't see Mike Brown doing that a GM will spend to much money on FA for Mickey's blood. But what do yall think The Bengalswill do on a GM?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8270
Default Re: GM?

I'll believe it when I sees it.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5169

inb4 he hires Marvin Lewis under the title "Giggles Marvin", gives himself a pay raise, extends Lewis until 2020, and trolls the whole fan base once again.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Marvin to GM...This team needs a change at HC.. we have to get out of this underdog vibe that this team is holding onto..& it has to start with Marvin because his coaching is terrible. Make him the GM and keep him the F*** away from the team and the coaching or else our guys will never stop being babied by Lewis.