Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 24467
bengals He deserves his own thread:

Giovani Bernard - RB - UNC - 5' 10" 205 :

Many will disagree and that is fine but. ...

No brainer 1st RD. selection.

We will be selecting 21st or below (it will be below). This piece of the offensive puzzle missing is explosion at RB. That is what this kid has in bunches.

1) Great hands out of the backfield
2) OUTSTANDING feet.
3) Pure speed. ..not sure what this kid will run in the 40 and it does not really matter because video does not lie.
4) Yards after contact. ...always going forward. Is naturally a player that falls forward.
5) Power. ..yes power. Is he a bull? No. Does he have power? If you do not think he does I suggest you rewatch the game against Miami.
6) Best asset. ..............VISION. .there is not better vision at the position in the college ranks.

This kid is a three down back that is pure explosion. He has the speed that defeats good angles. He plays inside out. If you feel he can not run between the tackles then I would have to suggest more film study.

We have seen all season the numerous threads hashing out #2 WR. Here is your evenator! This kid would make our offense wide open. He provides the tools that make your other positions better because like AJ he will demand attention.

I take nothing away from Benny and his hard fought yards this season but Bernard brings dimensions to this team we have only dreamed about. Bernard as the feature and Benny in relief and where is is one of the best and that is short and tough yardage.

With their first round selection the Cincinnati Bengals select

Giovani Bernard. ....Running Back. ..University of North Carolina!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4025
Default Re: He deserves his own thread:

I like Bernard.

I'd rather have a great safety chosen in round one than Gio, as that S would see more snaps, have more of an impact. However, I believe that this deep crop of S and RBs may not necessitate us to draft one in round one. Or if a LB makes himself available. As much as I'd like one of the DE's if we have to, I'd rather scratch off a position of need...it's a tough decision.

I don't think he's complete, however, which makes him slide in my mind. Has not shown a lot in Pass pro. But I do like him.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13538

Right on OSUfan! I'd love to have Bernard here!!! I loved watching him run in the games I was able to watch. I like him for all the reasons you listed. He'd be a great addition to the team.

Right now I can't decide between Bernard and Barner. Either one would make me very happy and could help us. Glad I don't have to make the decision.

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2917

Benard seems like a good player and has a lot of skills that would be welcome. Had a catch in evey game he played in his senior year, returns punts, high rushing Avg. Probably the most complete RB in the draft. Has great stats, his average yards from scrimage is 7.4, that would be welcome for sure.
http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/...937/index.html

But, we are all entitled to our opinon and you left of some concerns about him.The big one being able to stay healthy.

He has strong durability concerns, missing two games in 2012 and parts of several other contests with various injuries including to his shoulder and lower body (also tore his ACL in 2010).
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...iovani-bernard

This is playing against the ACC.

Benard is never going to be a "lead back", 20-25 carries a game. He could be what B.Scott should have/could have been, but what could B.Scott not do? Stay healthy. B.Scott 5-10 205. Benard 5-10 205.

The more I look the more Lacy makes sense to us but, If the Bengals pick Benard with on of their 2nd round picks, I'm ok with it. A guy like him is what we are missing.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 13538

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
Benard seems like a good player and has a lot of skills that would be welcome. Had a catch in evey game he played in his senior year, returns punts, high rushing Avg. Probably the most complete RB in the draft. Has great stats, his average yards from scrimage is 7.4, that would be welcome for sure.

But, we are all entitled to our opinon and you left of some concerns about him.The big one being able to stay healthy.

He has strong durability concerns, missing two games in 2012 and parts of several other contests with various injuries including to his shoulder and lower body (also tore his ACL in 2010).

Benard is never going to be a "lead back", 20-25 carries a game. He could be what B.Scott should have/could have been, but what could B.Scott not do? Stay healthy. B.Scott 5-10 205. Benard 5-10 205.

The more I look the more Lacy makes sense to us but, If the Bengals pick Benard with on of their 2nd round picks, I'm ok with it. A guy like him is what we are missing.
His injuries concern me a little bit, but I'd still love to have him here!!

Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM
VIP Platinum Member

bengals Re: He deserves his own thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
I like Bernard.

I'd rather have a great safety chosen in round one than Gio, as that S would see more snaps, have more of an impact. However, I believe that this deep crop of S and RBs may not necessitate us to draft one in round one. Or if a LB makes himself available. As much as I'd like one of the DE's if we have to, I'd rather scratch off a position of need...it's a tough decision.

I don't think he's complete, however, which makes him slide in my mind. Has not shown a lot in Pass pro. But I do like him.
So pass protection is the only fault? I agree it is important but if that is what makes him slip in your mind I have to question it. His first job is to make plays with the ball in his hands.

A safety making more impact and taking more snaps? Very questionable. I am talking Bernard as a feature back not to spell Ellis. Should Crocker return next season it is very possible a rookie safety would see little playing time.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2759

I'm not sure about Gio yet. I've only seen him play a handful of times and I wasn't overly impressed. Saw him v. Virginial and V.Tech. Didn't catch the UNC bowl game. I liked him catching passes out of the backfield. I know he's dangerous in the return game but fielding kicks he looked shakey. Overall, he seems like a good prospect and RB is defintiely a need. However, from what I've seen at least I don't think he'll be the best player on the board at 1 and 2a.

Right now, I like Gillissee in the 3rd.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2917

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
So pass protection is the only fault? I agree it is important but if that is what makes him slip in your mind I have to question it. His first job is to make plays with the ball in his hands.

A safety making more impact and taking more snaps? Very questionable. I am talking Bernard as a feature back not to spell Ellis. Should Crocker return next season it is very possible a rookie safety would see little playing time.
And injuries/size.

I actually think he and Ellis would be a good commitee.

This team hab no maaahbulls!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

I weight pass pro heavily for a potential first rounder. If he's going to be out there on passing downs, he better have proven that he can do all that's asked of him. We don't need another B. Scott.

EDIT: I also wouldn't say it's his ONLY fault. It's the one I see most apparent, and biggest knock as he has yet to prove much in this area. He's also injury fairly injury prone, but I hold these things as circumstantial in such a young career--hard to extrapolate with such a small body of work.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about a 1st round safety sitting behind Crocker. Why would a 1st round RB be the feature back--ahead of a key FA pickup last year mind you-- yet a 1st round safety would be behind a guy we cut then picked up off the street?

Last edited by TGISunday; 01-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41979

Quote:

So your logic is a 1st round safety would have a harder time getting on the field over a 33 year old mediocre safety that we've already cut ties with; than a RB would to take over for a 28 year old feature back coming off a 1000 yard career?

WTS, Gio has put up very prouctive numbers; however, if you plan on making him our feature back that his punt return skills are moot. Not sure I'd be willing to part with the 1st pick for Gio, the 2 most worrisome injuries a RB can have are knee and shoulder.

If the coaches choose to go that route I will applaud the decision; however, there's a chance you can get a very similar skill set a few rounds later in Dennis Johnson. If he would have played ACC and not the SEC and not on a team that tried its hardest to feature Knile Davis; there is no telling what his numbers might look like.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
So your logic is a 1st round safety would have a harder time getting on the field over a 33 year old mediocre safety that we've already cut ties with; than a RB would to take over for a 28 year old feature back coming off a 1000 yard career?

WTS, Gio has put up very prouctive numbers; however, if you plan on making him our feature back that his punt return skills are moot. Not sure I'd be willing to part with the 1st pick for Gio, the 2 most worrisome injuries a RB can have are knee and shoulder.

If the coaches choose to go that route I will applaud the decision; however, there's a chance you can get a very similar skill set a few rounds later in Dennis Johnson. If he would have played ACC and not the SEC and not on a team that tried its hardest to feature Knile Davis; there is no telling what his numbers might look like.
Great points, particularly the highlighted.

And substitute Dennis Johnson for several other guys. Gio's good, as i've acknowledged, but his skills are not transcendent, and if you're picking him up for some of them then others are cancelled out like BFine said. That's probably why the trend has been RB stock sliding, among other things.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have us taking Matt Elam at 1 who I believe would have an immediate impact. He is an upgrade over Crocker in every area save for experience/understanding of Zim's defense. Dude is all over the field, loves to hit and has a nose for the ball. Crocker has been kind of like Jeff Faine this year. Started strong. Play declined since (maybe not as steeply as Faine, but Crocker looks to me to be a liability right now...unfortunately he's the best we got). SS is a huge need.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post

This!! Bernard and Lacy are the two I would really like to have. Either one of them would be fine with me. Lacy is a little bit bigger but runs 4.44 40 yard dash. Thats the same as Bernard. Both are agile and have good feet and balance with fantastic vision. I would say they are both the top prospects of the RB class!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Boon View Post
I have us taking Matt Elam at 1 who I believe would have an immediate impact. He is an upgrade over Crocker in every area save for experience/understanding of Zim's defense. Dude is all over the field, loves to hit and has a nose for the ball. Crocker has been kind of like Jeff Faine this year. Started strong. Play declined since (maybe not as steeply as Faine, but Crocker looks to me to be a liability right now...unfortunately he's the best we got). SS is a huge need.
First of all. .....this coaching staff does not differentiate between FS and SS so not sure why people continue to term this as such in our defensive scheme. If you watch you will see Nelson playing up as much as Crocker does if not more.

Secondly. ...please give some examples of the declining play of Crocker. This secondary wasa wreck until he returned. Everyone speaks of the impimportance of Sims to the run defense well touche with Crocker and the pasz defense. He is the one that gets this unit aligned.

I would also like an explanation as to how Crocker is a liability right now. Seems more like statements to back a point rather than fact.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
First of all. .....this coaching staff does not differentiate between FS and SS so not sure why people continue to term this as such in our defensive scheme. If you watch you will see Nelson playing up as much as Crocker does if not more.

Secondly. ...please give some examples of the declining play of Crocker. This secondary wasa wreck until he returned. Everyone speaks of the impimportance of Sims to the run defense well touche with Crocker and the pasz defense. He is the one that gets this unit aligned.

I would also like an explanation as to how Crocker is a liability right now.
Seems more like statements to back a point rather than fact.
Crocker's doubtful. To counter, BJGE is probable.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGISunday View Post
Crocker's doubtful. To counter, BJGE is probable.
He is injured not a liability. I do not think the OP was referring to injury rather ability as he stated best we have. However, that is why I asked for an explanation.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I would also like an explanation as to how Crocker is a liability right now. Seems more like statements to back a point rather than fact.
#1. Interchangabiloity. Part of why I like Elam. He's atheltic enough to cover a slot reciever and stout enough to be a force in the run game. Always around the ball. He'd be a great pairing with Reggie and a perfect fit for what Zim likes to do. Technically, he plays SS but he's versatile enough to play nickel in a pinch. Just a great player.

As per Crocker, I don't think he is a strong defender overall. He seems a step or two too slow on many assignments over the top. Just can't get there in time. Many times when trying to stop a ball carrier he seems clumsy and just not atheltic enough. I think Crocker does a good job of putting himself in the correct position and has done really well considering the situation this year. But he's a stop gap. That position needs to be upgraded next year. Right now on defense I see the weakest spots as MLB, SAM and SS.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1025

I thought this was a RB thread....hahaha

I think you two are looking for this....

http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=107318
Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 164

I've been watching Gio for a cpl yrs, as a matter of fact was calling to draft him along with Doug Martin last yr. I'm a huge Gio fan but I like Mike Gillislee better for Cincy. I'll say it first Gio will not be able to stay on the field and that's too bad cause I think he has the potential to be great.

So with that said, gotta say I like S/DE/C in the first round. Teams can get better "value" drafting RBs later. I hope Cincy gets best case by drafting Gillislee in 3rd.

I'd love to pair Gillislee with Randle or Lattimore. Especially if Lattimore is available in later rounds, what a possible steal.

Someone brought up Dennis Johnson. I say Hell Yeah! Johnson is a diamond. The ultimate RBBC would be BJGE,Randle,Gillislee,Johnson(+PR), Connor(F. I'm not a Scott or Perman fan at all, both are garbage. I know Herron is there and I like him but would much rather have D Johnson.

Imagine this draft
1. Elam
2. Barrett Jones
2. DE
3. Gillislee
4 sanders Cummings
5 Michael Williams
6. Lattimore

I'd be nice if Cincy traded back in 1st for a 3rd and pick up Randle or OLB
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 318

Quote:

We will be selecting 21st or below (it will be below). This piece of the offensive puzzle missing is explosion at RB. That is what this kid has in bunches.

2) OUTSTANDING feet.
3) Pure speed. ..not sure what this kid will run in the 40 and it does not really matter because video does not lie.
4) Yards after contact. ...always going forward. Is naturally a player that falls forward.
5) Power. ..yes power. Is he a bull? No. Does he have power? If you do not think he does I suggest you rewatch the game against Miami.
6) Best asset. ..............VISION. .there is not better vision at the position in the college ranks.

This kid is a three down back that is pure explosion. He has the speed that defeats good angles. He plays inside out. If you feel he can not run between the tackles then I would have to suggest more film study.

We have seen all season the numerous threads hashing out #2 WR. Here is your evenator! This kid would make our offense wide open. He provides the tools that make your other positions better because like AJ he will demand attention.

I take nothing away from Benny and his hard fought yards this season but Bernard brings dimensions to this team we have only dreamed about. Bernard as the feature and Benny in relief and where is is one of the best and that is short and tough yardage.

No way in hell do we take him first rd!! No way in hell do we draft a back in the first rd that has durability issues and probably be a rbbc. Only way you take a Rb in the first is if he is a lock as a 3 down back, from what I see and read and hear, this isn't Gio. He's a McFadden clone with durability.

First rd has to be either safety, DE, Oline, or CB
1. Safety is an obvious need and crocker is like 33 years old.
2. Can never have enough badass DE's, not to mention we could lose MJ, and if we do keep MJ Dunlap might be unsignable having to long term sign Atkins.
3. Oline is like DE, might not resign Dre Smith, would make Oline a def need. Even if we do keep Smith, our depth can always be improved.
4. CB is a concern as Newman is old, PacMan is always an injury concern, Allen will probately be released, Dre is still like a rookie and unproven plus has durability issues.

This is just my take.

Last edited by Cow Bell Fever; 01-05-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: I typed Simpson and ment to type Dunlap
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmused View Post
I've been watching Gio for a cpl yrs, as a matter of fact was calling to draft him along with Doug Martin last yr. I'm a huge Gio fan but I like Mike Gillislee better for Cincy. I'll say it first Gio will not be able to stay on the field and that's too bad cause I think he has the potential to be great.

So with that said, gotta say I like S/DE/C in the first round. Teams can get better "value" drafting RBs later. I hope Cincy gets best case by drafting Gillislee in 3rd.

I'd love to pair Gillislee with Randle or Lattimore. Especially if Lattimore is available in later rounds, what a possible steal.

Someone brought up Dennis Johnson. I say Hell Yeah! Johnson is a diamond. The ultimate RBBC would be BJGE,Randle,Gillislee,Johnson(+PR), Connor(F. I'm not a Scott or Perman fan at all, both are garbage. I know Herron is there and I like him but would much rather have D Johnson.

Imagine this draft
1. Elam
2. Barrett Jones
2. DE
3. Gillislee
4 sanders Cummings
5 Michael Williams
6. Lattimore

I'd be nice if Cincy traded back in 1st for a 3rd and pick up Randle or OLB
I like your thinking dude. I've got us going

1. Elam
2. DeAndre Hopkins (WR)
2. K Greene (L
3. Gillislee
4. Kiko Alonso (L

I think LB is a huge need. but I'm always good addressing the O-line. Not sure if Barret Jones plays C or OG in the NFL but he is a pretty low risk pick at the top of 2 (if he's there). Agree in Gillislee. I like him as he is an able and willing blocker and a pretty dynamic RB. Plus, playing behind Demps etc. not much wear and tear and already a good player.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1455

Quote:

2) OUTSTANDING feet.

Couldn't agree more. Take a look at this highlight reel. I know it's only highlights but take a look at the reception around 50 seconds. Unbelievable how far down field he makes the catch after starting out in the backfield . He looks like a tight end down the middle. I'm all for this pick if he's still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPNeBymHE
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie View Post
Couldn't agree more. Take a look at this highlight reel. I know it's only highlights but take a look at the reception around 50 seconds. Unbelievable how far down field he makes the catch after starting out in the backfield . He looks like a tight end down the middle. I'm all for this pick if he's still there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPNeBymHE
He's talented, no doubt. Listen, I would've been ****** if they took Doug Martin in the first last year so what do I know? Maybe the fact that I'm not crazy about him bodes well for Gio.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23292

I'm not sure about Gio yet. I've only seen him play a handful of times and I wasn't overly impressed. Saw him v. Virginial and V.Tech. Didn't catch the UNC bowl game. I liked him catching passes out of the backfield. I know he's dangerous in the return game but fielding kicks he looked shakey. Overall, he seems like a good prospect and RB is defintiely a need. However, from what I've seen at least I don't think he'll be the best player on the board at 1 and 2a.

Right now, I like Gillissee in the 3rd.

I also like Gillisllee, or however his name is spelled...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Bell Fever View Post
No way in hell do we take him first rd!! No way in hell do we draft a back in the first rd that has durability issues and probably be a rbbc. Only way you take a Rb in the first is if he is a lock as a 3 down back, from what I see and read and hear, this isn't Gio. He's a McFadden clone with durability.

First rd has to be either safety, DE, Oline, or CB
1. Safety is an obvious need and crocker is like 33 years old.
2. Can never have enough badass DE's, not to mention we could lose MJ, and if we do keep MJ Dunlap might be unsignable having to long term sign Atkins.
3. Oline is like DE, might not resign Dre Smith, would make Oline a def need. Even if we do keep Smith, our depth can always be improved.
4. CB is a concern as Newman is old, PacMan is always an injury concern, Allen will probately be released, Dre is still like a rookie and unproven plus has durability issues.

This is just my take.
Calm down Francis and pull your panties out of your crack. Why ...because it is just your opinion for what that is worth.