Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft > Mock Drafts

Mock Drafts Post your mock here

Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 13690
Default Play-Off Day Quickie

1 Kevin Minter * ILB 6'1" 245 LSU – many of you (maybe even including me) are going to say that you want to see Burfict moved to MLB. But let’s think about Minter for a minute. LSU is one of the best teams in the SEC. The SEC is the best conference in NCAAF. LSU has declared Minter to be the MVP of their team; he was also a captain. That is a statement. He interviews well (not a knucklehead) his HS GPA was above a 3.0 and he has a major that makes sense. On top of that, he has been productive.

Stats: 74 Solo, 113 Ast, 17 TFL, 4 Sk, 7 PD, 2 FF

2a Giovani Bernard * RB 5'10" 205 North Carolina – I would like to see his measurable before we go after him. I also read once to never take the best person in a weak draft class. But he is good, and early 2nd round sounds like the right place for him. In addition to the needed burst to the running game, he can help with returns.

Stats: 423 Att, 2481 Yds, 5.9 Avg, 25 TD, ---92 Rec, 852 Yds, 9.3 Avg, 6 TD

2b Phillip Thomas S 6'0⅝" 208 Fresno State – If there is one award, that to me says a lot about a player, it is Coach’s All American. He is also the captain of his team which is huge and what our DB group needs. I do like Mays still; I think he can be Nelson’s eventual replacement, a ST stud, and a special packages DB, along with being the #3 Safety. But what we need now is somebody to lead the group, and Thomas fits that mold.

Stats: 127 Solo, 51 Ast, 17 TFL, 4 Sk, 13 Int, 28 PD, 6 FF

3 Da'Rick Rogers * WR 6'3" 215 Tennessee – I keep going back to the Rogers well. He is the best possession receiver in the draft, but with a checkered history. When we lost Sanu, we did not have another WR in that mold to step up. I see him fighting for snaps with MLJ at the #2 wide out position, with Sanu being the slot guy leaving Hawkins for special packages. Every draft can handle one knucklehead (outside the first 2 rounds) and this is my vote. We have enough leadership on the team to help him help himself. He has KR experience as well.

Stats (SEC): 78 Rec, 1207 Yds, 15.5 Avg, 11 TD

4 Cornellius Carradine DE 6'4" 265 Florida State – Yes, I know, many sites have him rated higher than this. Here is why I think he falls: everybody who played opposite Werner did well. It is a great year for DL. He blew an ACL; if he cannot do drills (effectively) in front of scouts and coaches before the draft, there are just too many other prospects to choose from. We do not have an urgent need, if he needs time to recover, we can provide that. Not that it matters, but he is a Cincinnati native.

Stats: 71 Solo, 47 Ast, 21 TFL, 16.5 Sk, 1 FF

5 Marcus Lattimore RB 6'0" 232 South Carolina – dynamite fishing. If not Lattimore, Kniles Davis or Christine Michael are other high pay-off picks here. While it is possible that he will have a great career, the odds are stacked against him. The risk of spending a 5th rounder on a guy who has the potential to be a feature back, but may bust is well worth it.

Stats: 555 Att, 2677 Yds, 4.8 Avg, 38 TD --- 74 Rec, 767 Yds, 10.4 Avg, 3 TD

6a Robert Alford CB 5'11" 184 Southeastern Louisiana – small school guy who’s projections are all over the board. I have seen him as high as the 4th and as low as UDCFA. He is a shut down CB at the FCS level.

Stats (2012): 35 Solo, 4 Ast, 5 TFL, 4 Int, 8 PBA

6b Michael Williams TE 6'6" 270 Alabama – The blocking TE that they are having trouble finding.

Stats: 48 Rec, 486 Yds, 10.1 Avg, 6 TD

Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 25178
Default Re: Play-Off Day Quickie

Can't say Im a fan really. I think you hit the positions on the head, I just largely disagree with your choice in personnel.
1. Minter doesn't really represent the upgrade in the LB position we need. He is a fine player but I think he is slightly overrated in the first. He isn't the cover LB we DESPERATELY need.
2. I like Gio and I think here is fine for him for now.
2. Looked sloppy his bowl game missing tackles. Hopefully this shapes up.
3. Pass. Rogers isn't from Tennessee. He is from Tennessee Tech. Why? Because he is an egotistical ****** bag who got kicked out of Tennessee by Dooley. Locker room cancer type.
4. Not a fan of Carradine when he was healthy, surely not now. He is a speed rusher who relied on beating the OL off the line and couldn't do much when they got on him first. I guess the value is nice, but Im not a fan.
5. The risk is fine, but I think you could look for a Roland replacement here, not a guy who wont even play in 2013 more than likely.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 PM
VIP Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post
Can't say Im a fan really. I think you hit the positions on the head, I just largely disagree with your choice in personnel.
1. Minter doesn't really represent the upgrade in the LB position we need. He is a fine player but I think he is slightly overrated in the first. He isn't the cover LB we DESPERATELY need.
2. I like Gio and I think here is fine for him for now.
2. Looked sloppy his bowl game missing tackles. Hopefully this shapes up.
3. Pass. Rogers isn't from Tennessee. He is from Tennessee Tech. Why? Because he is an egotistical ****** bag who got kicked out of Tennessee by Dooley. Locker room cancer type.
4. Not a fan of Carradine when he was healthy, surely not now. He is a speed rusher who relied on beating the OL off the line and couldn't do much when they got on him first. I guess the value is nice, but Im not a fan.
5. The risk is fine, but I think you could look for a Roland replacement here, not a guy who wont even play in 2013 more than likely.
Here is my other version of the same mock:

1 Eric Reid * S 6'2" 212 LSU
2a Giovani Bernard * RB 5'10" 205 North Carolina
2b Khaseem Greene OLB 6'0" 239 Rutgers
3 Da'Rick Rogers * WR 6'3" 215 Tennessee
4 Cornellius Carradine DE 6'4" 265 Florida State
5 Marcus Lattimore RB 6'0" 232 South Carolina
6a Robert Alford CB 5'11" 184 Southeastern Louisiana
6b Michael Williams TE 6'6" 270 Alabama

I do not normally like mocking trades, but there is not a lot of match up between the Bengal's team needs (RB, S, OL and what is projecting as available late in the 1st. Reid is projecting there, and I like him; he is the kind of cerebral player that I think we need. But this year, there are 3 other very good prospects in the position.

Obviously I like the risk of Rogers in the 3rd. The question that may be answered in interviews is whether or not he learned his lesson. He is the best possession receiver in the draft, which is what we need. There are others, but without as high of a ceiling (albeit a higher floor).

I think Carradine would be a steal in the 4th, I also think we do not have an urgent need for the position since Gilberry did so well. Anderson, Gilberry, and a mid to late round draft pick might even be too many if we keep Johnson. What about the guy in jail that they signed? I cannot remember if he was an OLB or a DE.

You can get a Roland replacement off the street. I think we wait till next year and get a 1st or 2nd round OT.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 30022

Not a big fan of MLB in 1, but the rest is solid.

Just because science can explain it doesn't mean God didn't do it.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 496

I'm a big fan of Minter but my dilema with him is if he is a product of the talent around him. He has solid tape and a great motor but I like him in round 2 early. Again I love Alford as a nickel guy because he has the ability to be a shutdown type. We have to assume that if we draft a corner he will start out as a nickel special teams guy at least a year. Thats a money pick in the 6th if hes there.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:20 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 41555

1. Minter is flying under the radar. LSU was the only team to shutdown Johnny Football and Minter was a big reason why: 12 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT

2A. Gio would be a fine pick here

2B. Nice place for a safety and Taylor is a pretty good one

3. Pass.

4. I prefer the other injured DE from FSU

5. Sure, woud also take a flier on Knile Davis, Michael Dyer, or Christine Michael. If Davis could shake the injury bug then you have Adrian Peterson potential
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3955

I like it.

Thomas isn't my favorite choice at Safety, but he will do. I hope he has leadership skills, because that's really what we need in the back end.

Minter is a good kid. If we don't get him, Baltimore will. I think he was also a former safety...only knock on him in my mind is that he's just not as fast on his feet laterally as compared to some other prospects in that range. He rushes well enough to be considered at SAM, but I think he'd be a wasted pick for SAM.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 AM
VIP Gold Member

For everybody scared about Rogers, here are some alternates:

Cobi Hamilton WR 6'3" 209 Arkansas
Aaron Dobson WR 6'3⅛" 205 Marshall