Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM
flyinryan's Avatar
flyinryan flyinryan is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cold Spring
Posts: 134
Rep Points: 179
Default Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

http://arizonasports.com/44/1599463/...kid-is-special

"Marvin Lewis, sitting around a table with me in a production meeting, looked at me and the guys I was with and said, 'Vontaze Burfict may be one of the top three guys I have ever been around on the defensive side of the football, ever,'" Tasker added.

This particular paragraph stuck out to me. Marvin is already claiming Vontaze is one of the top 3 defenders Marvin has ever been around. You have got to figure Ray Lewis is #1. I wonder who #2 would be. Regardless, I now firmly believe the head coach who believes a player has this kind of ability will push for him to be the quarterback of our defense and take over the MIKE position. You just don't let a kid with this kind of ability stay at a position with less impact when he can do even more.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM
thompson19osu thompson19osu is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,679
Rep Points: 3367
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryan View Post
http://arizonasports.com/44/1599463/...kid-is-special

"Marvin Lewis, sitting around a table with me in a production meeting, looked at me and the guys I was with and said, 'Vontaze Burfict may be one of the top three guys I have ever been around on the defensive side of the football, ever,'" Tasker added.

This particular paragraph stuck out to me. Marvin is already claiming Vontaze is one of the top 3 defenders Marvin has ever been around. You have got to figure Ray Lewis is #1. I wonder who #2 would be. Regardless, I now firmly believe the head coach who believes a player has this kind of ability will push for him to be the quarterback of our defense and take over the MIKE position. You just don't let a kid with this kind of ability stay at a position with less impact when he can do even more.
Undrafted ROOKIE and he just made 18 tackles in the last game. 12 of which I believe were solo tackles. The kid is a freak. I love that Marvin took a chance on him and I think Burfict will be loyal to the organization for giving him a chance. Excited to see what he could bring in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,296
Rep Points: 24364
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

#2 = Ed Reid?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 PM
flyinryan's Avatar
flyinryan flyinryan is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cold Spring
Posts: 134
Rep Points: 179
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
#2 = Ed Reid?
That is also my first/best guess. Great company for a rookie to be in.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Rattler's Avatar
Rattler Rattler is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edgewood
Posts: 7,791
Rep Points: 9504
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
#2 = Ed Reid?
^ That would be my guess too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
jdmac4's Avatar
jdmac4 jdmac4 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bend, Oregon
Posts: 1,013
Rep Points: 2351
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

We have something really special on our hands here. He is the most dominant LB I have seen in strips since a guy named Odel. You cannot teach instincts and he has them in spades. I am just glad that Taze is avoiding the pitfalls that ended Odel's career way to early.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Luvnit2's Avatar
Luvnit2 Luvnit2 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,998
Rep Points: 17722
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson19osu View Post
Undrafted ROOKIE and he just made 18 tackles in the last game. 12 of which I believe were solo tackles. The kid is a freak. I love that Marvin took a chance on him and I think Burfict will be loyal to the organization for giving him a chance. Excited to see what he could bring in the future.
Keep in mind that half our fan base wants Marvin fired still or the GM. I don't see us getting a GM so if Lewis is canned, my guess Burfict's loyalty would be to Lewis and not the Bengals organization.
__________________
Young Team Finally Grows Up!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Shady's Avatar
Shady Shady is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 10,296
Rep Points: 24364
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

And the most enticing thing about him is that he's still developing. Wait until he moves to Mike and gets comfortable in that position. Plus, I think he still has some conditioning to do. We can make him Bigger. Stronger. Faster.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,775
Rep Points: 18769
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

People read too much into these things.

I have almost 20 guys better than Burfict, that Marv has coached in his tenure, in terms of ability, NOT in order:

Rod Woodson
Peter Boulware
Ray Lewis
Jamie Sharper
Chris McCallister(sp?)
Michael McCrary
Sam Adams
Rob Burnett
LeVon Kirkland
Jason Gildon
Leon Hall
Justin Smith
Geno Atkins
Brian Simmons
Jonathan Joseph
Hardy Nickerson (whom Burfict will NEVER surpass, ever).
Carnell Lake
Kevin Greene
Greg Lloyd
Chad Brown
Eric Turner (one of the forgotten GREAT safeties)
LaVarr Arrington
Jessie Armstead
Bruce Smith (I think, don't know if he retired yet)
Champ Bailey
Darrell Green
Jeremiah Trotter

And that's merely off the top of my head.

27 guys that as of right now, Burfict isn't even in the remote area of being considered as good as. Hall of Famers, multiple PBers, All-Pro guys, and the list is even made up of PREDOMINANTLY LBers.

I'm not knocking on Burfict in the slightest, and he still had a decent season for the most part (better if you consider the path he took, but that's irrelevant to performance only), but the absolutely ridiculous boosting of him is just over-the-top.

And it makes me laugh that Marv says BS like this, when he knows that he coached absolute freaks in Nickerson, Boulware, Lewis, Arrington, Greene, Brown and Lloyd at LB, who were COMPLETE players, good in coverage, rushing, and vs the run, AND they showed this ability from their first year 'til they retired.

Burfict hasn't even showed he's competent in TWO of these areas; so far he's only a run beast.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Luvnit2's Avatar
Luvnit2 Luvnit2 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,998
Rep Points: 17722
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
People read too much into these things.

I have almost 20 guys better than Burfict, that Marv has coached in his tenure, in terms of ability, NOT in order:

Rod Woodson
Peter Boulware
Ray Lewis
Jamie Sharper
Chris McCallister(sp?)
Michael McCrary
Sam Adams
Rob Burnett
LeVon Kirkland
Jason Gildon
Leon Hall
Justin Smith
Geno Atkins
Brian Simmons
Jonathan Joseph
Hardy Nickerson (whom Burfict will NEVER surpass, ever).
Carnell Lake
Kevin Greene
Greg Lloyd
Chad Brown
Eric Turner (one of the forgotten GREAT safeties)
LaVarr Arrington
Jessie Armstead
Bruce Smith (I think, don't know if he retired yet)
Champ Bailey
Darrell Green
Jeremiah Trotter

And that's merely off the top of my head.

27 guys that as of right now, Burfict isn't even in the remote area of being considered as good as. Hall of Famers, multiple PBers, All-Pro guys, and the list is even made up of PREDOMINANTLY LBers.

I'm not knocking on Burfict in the slightest, and he still had a decent season for the most part (better if you consider the path he took, but that's irrelevant to performance only), but the absolutely ridiculous boosting of him is just over-the-top.

And it makes me laugh that Marv says BS like this, when he knows that he coached absolute freaks in Nickerson, Boulware, Lewis, Arrington, Greene, Brown and Lloyd at LB, who were COMPLETE players, good in coverage, rushing, and vs the run, AND they showed this ability from their first year 'til they retired.

Burfict hasn't even showed he's competent in TWO of these areas; so far he's only a run beast.
Sorry, but the fact you are acting like you know more than a head coach is comical. He watched these guys practice and play every game. Seriously, why do fans think they know more than a coaching staff or a head coach?
__________________
Young Team Finally Grows Up!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,775
Rep Points: 18769
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
#2 = Ed Reid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryan View Post
That is also my first/best guess. Great company for a rookie to be in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
^ That would be my guess too.
Just goes to show the knowledge of this board.

Lewis was in Washington when Reed was drafted.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,775
Rep Points: 18769
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Sorry, but the fact you are acting like you know more than a head coach is comical. He watched these guys practice and play every game. Seriously, why do fans think they know more than a coaching staff or a head coach?
Love how you dismiss my argument completely with that cop out.

I said I find it hard to believe he says this when he was around giants such as this.

Paul Alexander says that Roland is the best technician he's ever seen.

Bratkowski said that Jordan Palmer had a chance to start.

Marv has boosted countless players that have been cut, never to be seen on a roster again.

Stop it.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
PApinhead's Avatar
PApinhead PApinhead is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grampian, PA
Posts: 5,073
Rep Points: 14502
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Keep in mind that half our fan base wants Marvin fired still or the GM. I don't see us getting a GM so if Lewis is canned, my guess Burfict's loyalty would be to Lewis and not the Bengals organization.
Yeah, but we don't need to worry. We all know Marvin will be here for a lot longer, no matter what happens.
__________________


Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
thompson19osu thompson19osu is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,679
Rep Points: 3367
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Keep in mind that half our fan base wants Marvin fired still or the GM. I don't see us getting a GM so if Lewis is canned, my guess Burfict's loyalty would be to Lewis and not the Bengals organization.
Agreed. I meant to say Marvin, not the organization.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Hammerthis Hammerthis is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX.
Posts: 2,181
Rep Points: 1481
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvnit2 View Post
Keep in mind that half our fan base wants Marvin fired still or the GM. organization.

And? Half the fan base would want him fired even if he never lost a game. So what! Their irrelevant in logic.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM
MasonBengalFan's Avatar
MasonBengalFan MasonBengalFan is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mason Co. Ky.
Posts: 182
Rep Points: 393
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

He's had a heck of a year. Should get a lot better.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
StLucieBengal's Avatar
StLucieBengal StLucieBengal is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 891
Rep Points: 1111
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
#2 = Ed Reid?
Ed Reed came after Marvin in Baltimore.

Rod Woodson is probably the #2. He has always spoken diffently about Rod vs any other player other than Ray Lewis

that being said we are all excited about Burfict. and he is here because he fell in love with Marvin. he had other FA offers, and took Cincy because of Marvin.
__________________


Trust canít live in the same space as secrets and lies.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 PM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,122
Rep Points: 2980
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Love how you dismiss my argument completely with that cop out.

I said I find it hard to believe he says this when he was around giants such as this.

Paul Alexander says that Roland is the best technician he's ever seen.

Bratkowski said that Jordan Palmer had a chance to start.

Marv has boosted countless players that have been cut, never to be seen on a roster again.

Stop it.
Well maybe, Roland is the best automotive technician he has seen and maybe Palmer did have a chance to start......in the CFL.

Just thought I would lighten the mode.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _





This team hab no maaahbulls!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM
rfaulk34's Avatar
rfaulk34 rfaulk34 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Covington, Ky
Posts: 14,696
Rep Points: 18497
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Love how you dismiss my argument completely with that cop out.

I said I find it hard to believe he says this when he was around giants such as this.

Paul Alexander says that Roland is the best technician he's ever seen.

Bratkowski said that Jordan Palmer had a chance to start.

Marv has boosted countless players that have been cut, never to be seen on a roster again.

Stop it.
The only thing i would add is that, i would think Marv is comparing all his past players to Burfict based on where they were in their first year. And it's not really an outrageous comparison until he's put in the time they did and not lived up to their production.
__________________
"We are the ones that wanna choose. Always wanna play but you never wanna lose."- Serj Tankian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Yes, they will both have a role. MLJ will be the WR2. And Sanu will be the 5th or 6th receiving option.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Fan_in_Kettering's Avatar
Fan_in_Kettering Fan_in_Kettering is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 8,509
Rep Points: 29324
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Leon Hall
Justin Smith
Geno Atkins
Brian Simmons
Jonathan Joseph
.
Brian Simmons? Sei pazzo!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM
flyinryan's Avatar
flyinryan flyinryan is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cold Spring
Posts: 134
Rep Points: 179
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck_1_0_1_ View Post
Just goes to show the knowledge of this board.

Lewis was in Washington when Reed was drafted.
I just looked it up and Reed was drafted in 2002 so yes, you are right. I was 10 years old at that time and when I finally started watching the NFL for real I joined it and looked forward so I really don't know much about the league before I joined except for the things that still get talked about pretty often. It just seemed like Ed Reed has always been around since he pretty much has since I've followed football. I'm so sorry. Also, allow me to apologize for getting excited about one of our young players whose great story we all know. I'm also sorry for taking a coach who is reserved in what he says about his football team seriously when he says something as outrageous/exciting as this. Please teach me how to be a proper fan. Although I must say so far I was happier in my ignorance.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Abspara's Avatar
Abspara Abspara is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rehab for Ignorance
Posts: 2,941
Rep Points: 2767
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

#3. Dhani Jones
__________________
_______________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,775
Rep Points: 18769
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Nuts and Bolts View Post
Well maybe, Roland is the best automotive technician he has seen and maybe Palmer did have a chance to start......in the CFL.

Just thought I would lighten the mode.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaulk34 View Post
The only thing i would add is that, i would think Marv is comparing all his past players to Burfict based on where they were in their first year. And it's not really an outrageous comparison until he's put in the time they did and not lived up to their production.
Still makes no sense though.

Lewis had a better rookie year.
Boulware had a better rookie year than both of them.
Arguable on Sharper
Arguable on Duane Starks
Arguable on McCalister
Odell Thurman had a better rookie year
Arguable on Leon

Numbers don't lie.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,775
Rep Points: 18769
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryan View Post
I just looked it up and Reed was drafted in 2002 so yes, you are right. I was 10 years old at that time and when I finally started watching the NFL for real I joined it and looked forward so I really don't know much about the league before I joined except for the things that still get talked about pretty often. It just seemed like Ed Reed has always been around since he pretty much has since I've followed football. I'm so sorry. Also, allow me to apologize for getting excited about one of our young players whose great story we all know. I'm also sorry for taking a coach who is reserved in what he says about his football team seriously when he says something as outrageous/exciting as this. Please teach me how to be a proper fan. Although I must say so far I was happier in my ignorance.
Don't be sarcastic.

My original post wasn't aimed at you in the slightest, thus your reaction isn't apt.
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Truck_1_0_1_'s Avatar
Truck_1_0_1_ Truck_1_0_1_ is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,775
Rep Points: 18769
Default Re: Interesting quote about Burfict by Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_in_Kettering View Post
Brian Simmons? Sei pazzo!
Ma lei crede che Burfict ť meglio di Simmons dop' un anno?

Guard' i numeri!
__________________


Soooooooooo much thanks to Cin for this incredible sig!

CHILD PLEASE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.