Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21405
bengals Re: Running backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Take Ellington with 2b and Montee Ball with our 3rd.
No thank you.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 212
Default Re: Running backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinabengalfanguy View Post
Decided to make this a full-fledged post so we cam center on the specific topic of running backs.

Marcus Lattimore South Carolina (1st): Yes so far he is the one and only first round worthy running back to me. Loved this guy since day one and he's a complete AFC North running back. He's a complete player with good speed, top of the line power, and above average receiving skills. Concerns are his carry load although this year he's getting used much more appropriately and knee injury. If he makes it through than he should be fully healed going into next season. My hope was he'd look less than spectacular while trying to get back to 100% health and would drop into the 2nd round, but it didn't happen.

Joseph Randle Oklahoma State (2nd-3rd): Big play back who I want to see produce without stars Weeden and Blackmon taking most of the pressure off of him. He's got good game speed and fairly soft hands. Decent size at 6'1" 200 lbs. I think he'll stay at this #2 RB prospect until the draft barring injury or a bad year.

La'Veon Bell Michigan State (2nd-3rd): He's the sexy pick right now. I definitely love him because I like my Bellcow backs. Issues are overuse evident by his 50 game 1 touches. If they slow him down a bit I'd definitely consider him late second early third depending on where we are.

Montee Ball Wisconsin (3rd-6th): Already has a concussion. He's on pace for 400 carries after 307 last year. Maybe the head injury will lighten his load if he misses some games. Issues he's slow and a Wisconsin RB, which never seems to succeed in the NFL. Possibly will have close to 700 carries in two years. He has decent hands for a big guy, but he's a pure power back which lessens his versatility. I say look at him in the 3rd of 4th as I see him as a big time faller after a disappointing season. He should have known to come out last year while his stock was as high as it would get and the fact he knew they would over use him.

Knile Davis Arkansas (3rd-UDFA): Don't know where he'll be. Lots of talent and little production on a disappointing team after a lost year to injury. Worth a look as he'll be a value pick from the disappointments. Dont know if I really want him though.

Spencer Ware/Michael Ford LSU (3rd-7th): Talent in an overcrowded backfield. LSU has produced low end NFL talent. Wouldn't mind one of these guys in the middle of the draft. Positives is that they won't get overused because there are plenty of guys to take carries and they'd fit in a RB stable as they are in probably the biggest one in football.

Eddie Lacy Alabama (3rd-5th): Nowhere near the talent of Richardson or even Ingrim. More of a solid power back with little receiving skills. Behind Heisman front runners equals few carries so a fresh body. In a decent stable this year so low carries should continue. Good for a stable, but probably isn't and all around starter type.

Silas Redd USC (3rd-6th): Not a big fan. Could have a huge year and probably wants to be out of the college game after all this. Good talent and not overused, but doesn't have soft hands. Worthy of a look in the middle rounds.

Change of pace guys (although I'd love Lattimore if the price is right) and Ball in the later rounds if he drops fairly far. This is one of the slowest drafts I've seen in a while with no one for sure in the 4.3 speed range. Mostly mid 4.4's and a ton of 4.5's. More game speed here than clock speed.

Andre Ellington Clemson (3rd): He plays fast and has dramtatically improved from last season. Only thing I worry about with him is nagging injury past. I'm thinking 3rd if he falls as good running backs can be had in the later rounds. He could be an all around type back and would fit perfect in a RB stable system. He can catch some, but it's not a strength.

Kenjon Barner Oregon (4th or 5th): Oregon's produced Blount, who can do only one thing but does it very well and LaMichael James who looks like a change of pace guy himself, but he hasn't done anything with the 49ers and their extremely deep stable of running backs. He's got that Oregon speed and has some pretty soft hands. I think he's limited in the number of touches he can sustain without injury so middle rounds he'd be a nice pick up.

Jonathan Franklin UCLA (3rd or 4th): He's going to be a mover. Might be 2nd round material by the end of the year. He's a senior with some mileage on him although he's heading to by far his most carries this year. Doesn't have blazing speed like most on the list, but he's hands looked to be really improved. If he continues to impress and catch balls I'd like him in the early middle rounds.

Zac Stacy Vanderbilt (6th or 7th): Late round guy out of a smaller program talent-base-wise. He's got some blazing in game speed although I'd like to see him have softer hands. Widths late look.

Mike Gillislee Florida (4th-7th): Another speed Florida guy. Unlike Demps and Rainey though he hasn't shown the soft hands. He has had very few carries in four years because of being behind guys like Jeff and Chris. If he shows softer hands and has a big year I can see him rising. Probably one of the faster backs in one of the slowest drafts I've seen in a while.

Michael Dyer Ex-Auburn (7th-UDFA): He'll be out of football, but he has a ton of talent and is worth signing if he decides to go to the NFL next year. If Auburn still had him they would be half way respectable on offense. See what happened to the program that lost him.

Washaun Ealey Ex-Georgia (UDFA): A total undrafted player. He's got good speed and good hands, but a really bad off-the-field issues. Worth brining in training camp maybe. I like his skill set, but he's one of the really bad apples.
I like your draft but you are missing one good RB. Taylor the kid from Stanford is pretty good.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3046

I'm out of focus right now and not thinking rationally but emotionally.

We have some significant needs, but I'm craving a couple of backs to take our running game to the next level.

I want two:

1) A burner who can get to the perimeter forcing defenses to defend the edge more, preventing them from stacking the line between the tackles.

2) A 3 down pounder who has the acceleration, vision and lateral speed to break things open when reaching the 2nd level.

Combine that with the Law Firm and we have a stable of backs who can do a lot of things.

Give me Bernard in the 1st. The guy is explosive and can really catch the ball. He has the ability to take it all the way every time he touches the ball.

Give me Stefan Taylor at pick 2b. The guy is a really good all around back. A slightly smaller BJGE with more acceleration and lateral speed. He's got really good football smarts and can take over a game against top competition.

At 2a take the best defensive player available - LB, S, DE - whatever.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5082

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wt View Post

Give me Stefan Taylor at pick 2b. The guy is a really good all around back. A slightly smaller BJGE with more acceleration and lateral speed. He's got really good football smarts and can take over a game against top competition.

No thanks. A first round running back better be the man. A feature back, not part of a committee. That would be a total waste of a pick.

And a second round pick better be playing more than 5 to 10 snaps a game. I very much doubt a back field such as you describe would offer a 3rd back any appreciable snaps.
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

The subject has appearred again so. .....BUMP.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wt View Post
I'm out of focus right now and not thinking rationally but emotionally.

We have some significant needs, but I'm craving a couple of backs to take our running game to the next level.

I want two:

1) A burner who can get to the perimeter forcing defenses to defend the edge more, preventing them from stacking the line between the tackles.

2) A 3 down pounder who has the acceleration, vision and lateral speed to break things open when reaching the 2nd level.

Combine that with the Law Firm and we have a stable of backs who can do a lot of things.

Give me Bernard in the 1st. The guy is explosive and can really catch the ball. He has the ability to take it all the way every time he touches the ball.

I absolutely agree about Bernard and absolutely do not agree about Taylor. Taylor seems slow hitting the hole. He seems to need very obvious holes to run thru and goes down way too often on first contact. I guess I am not seeing from him what has many others excited and I have watched every clip I could find on him.

Bernard to me is the best back in this class. I feel he is a three down player that could be the impact guy we are missing. He does it all. He runs inside and outside and has outstanding hands out of the backfield. I would love to see him as the feature back in stripes paired with Ellis doing what he does best and that is relief and tough short yardage.

If we do not get Bernard then I would be really pleased to get Gilleslee.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma View Post
No thanks. A first round running back better be the man. A feature back, not part of a committee. That would be a total waste of a pick.

And a second round pick better be playing more than 5 to 10 snaps a game. I very much doubt a back field such as you describe would offer a 3rd back any appreciable snaps.
Not true.

Bernard is the best back in this draft and would be as you put it "the man".
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
Not true.

Quite possibly, however I tend to take an more economics based approach when considering need and BPA. What I mean is that I feel the opportunity costs for selecting Bernard at 1 or 2a is too high. We need a LB, maybe 2 and there will be only 2 first tier guys available; Ogletree, and Greene. We also need a safety and as of now there are only 2 tier 1 guys; Rambo and Elam. RB though has, to me, 5 guys that are all fringe tier 1. Bernard, Lacy, Ball, Randle, and Lattimore. By taking a RB high, not only are we reaching into the deepest, least differentiated pool first, but also losing out on much needed players from more limited talented pools. My own version of money ball
We asked him about the time he fumbled without being hit and the time he threw an interception without being pressured and the other pick he threw -- under pressure but stupidly off his back foot toward double coverage. All of that happened on three consecutive possession, a 10-minute fusillade of fail that turned a one-possession game into a blowout loss...

Old 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Quite possibly, however I tend to take an more economics based approach when considering need and BPA. What I mean is that I feel the opportunity costs for selecting Bernard at 1 or 2a is too high. We need a LB, maybe 2 and there will be only 2 first tier guys available; Ogletree, and Greene. We also need a safety and as of now there are only 2 tier 1 guys; Rambo and Elam. RB though has, to me, 5 guys that are all fringe tier 1. Bernard, Lacy, Ball, Randle, and Lattimore. By taking a RB high, not only are we reaching into the deepest, least differentiated pool first, but also losing out on much needed players from more limited talented pools. My own version of money ball
I like Chase Thomas as well as any backer in this draft for what we need and that is SLB.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 22382

Quote:
I like Chase Thomas as well as any backer in this draft for what we need and that is SLB.
I question the need for SLB anymore.
We ran the nickel 55% of the time.

We need a true cover LB more.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerone88 View Post

I was thinking the same thing last night when I was trying to figure out another mock draft. We had been using a lot of 3 safety sets prior to Crocker getting dinged. That makes me think RB at 2b after LB, S is probably the way we go. Maybe even RB at 3 if Woods, Hunter, or Patterson are available at 2b.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

I think if you watch Thomas you will see his coverage skills have greatly improved. This was also his reasoning for returning to Stanford. I feel in the AFCN you need a good SLB. Especially one that can cover with the TEs we face.

There certainly is not a coverage LB I would select over Bernard.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:47 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I think if you watch Thomas you will see his coverage skills have greatly improved. This was also his reasoning for returning to Stanford. I feel in the AFCN you need a good SLB. Especially one that can cover with the TEs we face.

There certainly is not a coverage LB I would select over Bernard.
You can feel that, but the fact is we are 10-6 without using one the majority of the time.
In the new NFL, you have to be able to cover the TE. I don't think Thomas can do that on a consistent basis.

I would take Ogletree or Khaseem Greene over Bernard and not even think twice.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:48 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Jawan Jamison declared.
**** just got real
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10084

Quote:
Not true.

Agreed. Bernard would be a nice change of pace back, is able to catch the ball out of the backfield, is quick and agile, and a very good returner. Also, we wouldn't need him to start his first year, and he could learn from one of the best ball carriers in the league.

Bernard would be a GREAT fit for the Bengals. And he will most likely be there for the Bengals 2nd pick.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:54 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37452

Quote:
Jawan Jamison declared.
**** just got real
Now we've got someone else to consider in the 5th round.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Now we've got someone else to consider in the 5th round.
Nfl draft scout has him as the 4th best RB in this class. I don't like him between the tackles, but he has a wicked spin move, speed to the edge, and very soft hands.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Nfl draft scout has him as the 4th best RB in this class. I don't like him between the tackles, but he has a wicked spin move, speed to the edge, and very soft hands.
I think he will get better between the tackles when he gets to play with a QB not named Gary "Worst QB in the Big East and that's saying something" Nova.

Nickname for Nova may not stick.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkaosaun View Post
Agreed. Bernard would be a nice change of pace back, is able to catch the ball out of the backfield, is quick and agile, and a very good returner. Also, we wouldn't need him to start his first year, and he could learn from one of the best ball carriers in the league.

Bernard would be a GREAT fit for the Bengals. And he will most likely be there for the Bengals 2nd pick.
Bernard would not be a change of pace back he would be the feature back.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
You can feel that, but the fact is we are 10-6 without using one the majority of the time.
In the new NFL, you have to be able to cover the TE. I don't think Thomas can do that on a consistent basis.

I would take Ogletree or Khaseem Greene over Bernard and not even think twice.
Totally Agree
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Bernard would not be a change of pace back he would be the feature back.
Bernard is more quick than he is fast. Plus his injury history I don't like. I'd rather get Ogletree and/or Khaseem Greene as well easily.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 313

Quote:

Thank you!!! 100% agree, if your gonna use a 1st rd pick on a Rb he better be a 3-down back and absolutely no rbbc. I said this exact comment to OSUFan in another thread and he jumped my *** LOL. I agree completely.......