Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Bret42boro Bret42boro is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
Rep Points: 0
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

We need a cover LBer, Safety, and Speed RB. Also get rid of Gresham and sign a quality one - Gresham is like a Shortstop that sometimes makes an amazing play but blows way too many routine plays.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 PM
grnvllbuck grnvllbuck is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, OH
Posts: 584
Rep Points: 290
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Right before half time, close to midfield...with only a few seconds to go....why take a knee?

Why not toss the ball into the endzone and hope for a miracle catch or penalty? So frustrating they didn't even TRY!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM
grnvllbuck grnvllbuck is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, OH
Posts: 584
Rep Points: 290
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbaseman44 View Post
some play call 4th and 11 and you throw short. god help us all
Right before that play, I predicted that is EXACTLY WHAT THEY WOULD DO! If you throw it short, at least call a play where the receiver is running forward, and not stopping and turning for the reception...and getting tackled short of the 1st down. Frustrating.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,586
Rep Points: 13214
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3r3e3 View Post
1. MLB- Mauluga is pathetic in all facets of the game.

1b. OLB- Lawson has to go

2. TE- Gresham is overrated

3. S- someone has to cover a TE.

4. QB?- Dalton has looked average against decent teams. He's not an upper-echelon NFL QB. The Pro Bowl invite last year was wholly due to better guys sitting out due to Super Bowl or injuries.
Same as they ever were:

Safety

RB

OLB

Possession Receiver

Interior O-lineman

DE
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 AM
TakeABow's Avatar
TakeABow TakeABow is offline
Graduated Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11
Rep Points: 37
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

In my eyes, critical:
Pass protection
Possession receiver
Inside Linebacker

In my eyes, less critical but would be damn nice to have:
Speed Back
Safety
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,586
Rep Points: 13214
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pickens View Post
Get an explosive offensive players that poses a threat besides A.J.
RB is a must. 2 would be great, but hard to pull off.

LB is a must. VB looks like a shoe in for MLB.

Safety is a must. We are old at DB.

Gresham is unreliable. Don''t let his stats fool you. His penalties are out of control and he drops too many passes.

Interior O IS still a problem.

Sometimes our DEs disappear

Need a FB
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Bengals Fan For Life! Bengals Fan For Life! is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 207
Rep Points: 182
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

I wish Mays could shed blocks so we could put him at WLB. Speed on the edge. Cover skills poor for safety but good for LB. he would need to wrap. But love his speed size and length. Wishful thinking. He needs to go
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 AM
BengalUSCfan's Avatar
BengalUSCfan BengalUSCfan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 2,575
Rep Points: 2627
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
I wish Mays could shed blocks so we could put him at WLB. Speed on the edge. Cover skills poor for safety but good for LB. he would need to wrap. But love his speed size and length. Wishful thinking. He needs to go
Worth a try in camp next year. Agree. Too much physical talent to kick to the curb but not enough field sense to be in the right spot at safety.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM
BengalUSCfan's Avatar
BengalUSCfan BengalUSCfan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 2,575
Rep Points: 2627
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
Right before that play, I predicted that is EXACTLY WHAT THEY WOULD DO! If you throw it short, at least call a play where the receiver is running forward, and not stopping and turning for the reception...and getting tackled short of the 1st down. Frustrating.
If you get Hawkins the ball anywhere in the open field, he's a threat to score. The safeties would drop back to prevent the bomb. Run Marvin and AJ long.

Or just take a knee...

Is it just me, or do you suspect this came from Marvin and not Gruden?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 AM
BengalUSCfan's Avatar
BengalUSCfan BengalUSCfan is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery
Posts: 2,575
Rep Points: 2627
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulses View Post
Yeah I think we need another TE too. Could we get a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for gresham??
Have we seen Orsen Charles dropping short passes? I don't think we've tried him enough to know what we've got. This could be a classic case of favoring the high draft pick too long and not giving the underdog a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 AM
PApinhead's Avatar
PApinhead PApinhead is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grampian, PA
Posts: 4,676
Rep Points: 11613
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
Right before half time, close to midfield...with only a few seconds to go....why take a knee?

Why not toss the ball into the endzone and hope for a miracle catch or penalty? So frustrating they didn't even TRY!
Yep!!!! That shows you right there they didn't really want to win. At least freakin' try to score!!!! What do you have to lose?
__________________


Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:01 AM
PApinhead's Avatar
PApinhead PApinhead is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grampian, PA
Posts: 4,676
Rep Points: 11613
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalUSCfan View Post
Have we seen Orsen Charles dropping short passes? I don't think we've tried him enough to know what we've got. This could be a classic case of favoring the high draft pick too long and not giving the underdog a shot.
Right on!!!! I'd love to see a lot more of Charles as with the little we have seen of him, he looks to be pretty good. But you are right, we won't see him over Gresham due to Gresham being a higher draft pick.
__________________


Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 AM
whodeydallas's Avatar
whodeydallas whodeydallas is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 58
Rep Points: 44
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnvllbuck View Post
I really hate to say it, but I just don't think Dalton is the answer at QB. The game appears too quick for him and he is too slow to react...even after 2 years. There is no QB in the draft that I think is the answer. I think the best we can do at this point is protect our QB as much as possible and improve the play of the O-line. Whether it is coaching or talent....it is just not up to par.

I'm not sold on Gruden as OC either. It is as if the other teams know EXACTLY what route is being run by our WRs and EXACTLY how deep the route is....it is as if our receivers are running right INTO THE COVERAGE?!?!?! WTF??!!
in total agreement with your assessment of Andy
__________________
Who Dey Dallas, rockin the Who Dey in Cowboy country
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM
D's Nuts and Bolts's Avatar
D's Nuts and Bolts D's Nuts and Bolts is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manhattan, KS
Posts: 1,932
Rep Points: 2520
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3r3e3 View Post
1. MLB- Mauluga is pathetic in all facets of the game.

1b. OLB- Lawson has to go

2. TE- Gresham is overrated

3. S- someone has to cover a TE.

4. QB?- Dalton has looked average against decent teams. He's not an upper-echelon NFL QB. The Pro Bowl invite last year was wholly due to better guys sitting out due to Super Bowl or injuries.

5. C- Cook has been underwhelming; Robinson has shown some promise

6. An OC, preferably not from the Arena or Canaidan league.

7. QB coach

8. WR coach

9. RB coach

10. OL coach
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,586
Rep Points: 13214
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals Fan For Life! View Post
I wish Mays could shed blocks so we could put him at WLB. Speed on the edge. Cover skills poor for safety but good for LB. he would need to wrap. But love his speed size and length. Wishful thinking. He needs to go
I am much higher on the guy than you. He is our 3rd Safety, so I would not get rid of him. We just need a new #1. With luck he can take over Nelson's spot in a few years.

He is very similar to many of the OLBs that are coming out from a converted Safety stand point. I would give him some snaps this off season just to see what you have.

Also, I think he had one less than stellar game in preseason or early in the year. Other than that he has been decent in coverage; especially against TEs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
PApinhead's Avatar
PApinhead PApinhead is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grampian, PA
Posts: 4,676
Rep Points: 11613
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
I am much higher on the guy than you. He is our 3rd Safety, so I would not get rid of him. We just need a new #1. With luck he can take over Nelson's spot in a few years.

He is very similar to many of the OLBs that are coming out from a converted Safety stand point. I would give him some snaps this off season just to see what you have.

Also, I think he had one less than stellar game in preseason or early in the year. Other than that he has been decent in coverage; especially against TEs.
I'm with ya!!!! He was not as bad as some would like to believe. Having said that though, I wouldn't mind seeing him get some time at one of the OLB spots.
__________________


Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
busamboy's Avatar
busamboy busamboy is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: liberty township
Posts: 9,084
Rep Points: 41165
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmaxey View Post
The offense is to predictable. Where was the trick play?
You didn't hear, the offensive game plan played to our weakness rather than our strength. Simply because they had injuries at linebacker, we were going to throw it to a guy who drops a lot of balls and fumbles all the time.

That is perfect recipe for failure. Lets throw the ball the entire half to our weakest receiver.
__________________
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM
PApinhead's Avatar
PApinhead PApinhead is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grampian, PA
Posts: 4,676
Rep Points: 11613
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by busamboy View Post
You didn't hear, the offensive game plan played to our weakness rather than our strength. Simply because they had injuries at linebacker, we were going to throw it to a guy who drops a lot of balls and fumbles all the time.

That is perfect recipe for failure. Lets throw the ball the entire half to our weakest receiver.
I still can't believe that was our actual game plan!!!! Utterly ridiculous!!!!
__________________


Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Lolli's Avatar
Lolli Lolli is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CTC
Posts: 9,586
Rep Points: 13214
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApinhead View Post
Right on!!!! I'd love to see a lot more of Charles as with the little we have seen of him, he looks to be pretty good. But you are right, we won't see him over Gresham due to Gresham being a higher draft pick.
They should have benched Gresham and let Charles run the routes after the 2nd or 3rd drop.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM
PApinhead's Avatar
PApinhead PApinhead is online now
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grampian, PA
Posts: 4,676
Rep Points: 11613
Default Re: Obvious needs, post-Texans game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli View Post
They should have benched Gresham and let Charles run the routes after the 2nd or 3rd drop.
Agreed!!! They should have done that a lot throughout the season. Between his drops and penalties, I just don't have much faith in him and think Charles could have done just as well, if not better.
__________________


Sig compliments of CINwillWIN
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.