Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18921
Default On Jan 14, look for mass exodus out of Cuba into ....

On Jan 14, Cuba will be lifting it's restrictions on her people from leaving the country. They will be given passports and just a visa to go anywhere.

The result? Look for the US population to swell, as many Cubans go to third countries like Mexico, Jamaica, Venezuela, etc and then come here where we have a law whenever a Cuban steps a foot on our land we will accept them.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 21382
Default Re: On Jan 14, look for mass exodus out of Cuba into ....

I disagree. If they have freedom to travel, then its not a prison anymore. Maybe the population in Miami will lesson?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23876

Good. We should accept them. This country was built by immigrants, and nearly all of us are descendants of one. As long as they do it legally, I'll welcome them to be my neighbor.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Good. We should accept them. This country was built by immigrants, and nearly all of us are descendants of one. As long as they do it legally, I'll welcome them to be my neighbor.
holy ****. this is the comment i agree with most on these boards? +1000
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:

The law should be changed of letting it be one foot here in the States and you can stay when in Haiti 30 miles east of Cuba the same law does not apply here.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23876

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
The law should be changed of letting it be one foot here in the States and you can stay when in Haiti 30 miles east of Cuba the same law does not apply here.
I don't think I really understand what you're trying to say. Either I'm reading it wrong, or you said it wrong.

I simply think that any person from any country should be allowed to immigrate to the United States if that's what they desire. Despite the fact that our Government is in shambles, this is still a hell of a place to live and if someone wants to make their life better by moving here, then I fully support that. Like I said before, if it is not done legally, then I'm no longer a supporter, but as long as it's done legally, I fully support a mass exodus from Cuba to the U.S.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think I really understand what you're trying to say. Either I'm reading it wrong, or you said it wrong.

I simply think that any person from any country should be allowed to immigrate to the United States if that's what they desire. Despite the fact that our Government is in shambles, this is still a hell of a place to live and if someone wants to make their life better by moving here, then I fully support that. Like I said before, if it is not done legally, then I'm no longer a supporter, but as long as it's done legally, I fully support a mass exodus from Cuba to the U.S.

The United States gives migrants from Cuba special treatment that no other group of refugees or immigrants receives.

It begins with the so-called “wet-foot, dry-foot policy” that puts Cubans who reach U.S. soil on a fast track to permanent residency. The government initiated the policy in 1995 as an amendment to the1966 Cuban Adjustment Act that Congress passed when Cold War tensions ran high between the U.S. and the island nation.

Under the amendment, when a Cuban migrant is apprehended in the water between the two countries, he is considered to have “wet feet” and is sent back home. A Cuban who makes it to the U.S. shore, however, can “dry feet” and can qualify for legal permanent resident status and U.S. citizenship.

Now that Cuba will allow their folks to leave, the Cubans should receive no better treatments then other people. If a raft with Cubans and Haitians reach the shore of Florida, the Haitians will be sent back to Haiti and the Cubans will be allowed to stay.

As of now, it is legal for Cubans to be accepted via one foot in our country. It is that policy, that law that needs to be changed if on Jan 14, Cubans like everyone else will have an opportunity to leave their country.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 01-06-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 88934

WASHINGTON Cuba's surprise decision to make it easier for citizens to leave the country doesn't mean Cubans can book tickets on commercial planes and head for Miami.

Would-be immigrants and tourists still need permission from the U.S. government to enter America legally. With a multiyear wait for a visa, the average Cuban may not be leaving home any time soon.

"This may end up being ado about nothing," said a Cuban-immigration expert, Jose Azel of the University of Miami's Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies.

A State Department spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland, said Tuesday that the U.S. welcomes "any reforms that'll allow Cubans to depart from and return to their country freely. We remain committed to the migration accords under which our two countries support and promote safe, legal and orderly migration. Our own visa requirements remain unchanged."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1974204.html

It seems to me from the above, that if they plan on coming here legally (according to laws of both countries) they will still need visas, which take years to be issued. If they're travelling by raft or boat (illegal by Cuba's standards), as they did before the restrictions were lifted, they won't need them, just like always.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookdogg7 View Post
WASHINGTON Cuba's surprise decision to make it easier for citizens to leave the country doesn't mean Cubans can book tickets on commercial planes and head for Miami.

Would-be immigrants and tourists still need permission from the U.S. government to enter America legally. With a multiyear wait for a visa, the average Cuban may not be leaving home any time soon.

"This may end up being ado about nothing," said a Cuban-immigration expert, Jose Azel of the University of Miami's Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies.

A State Department spokeswoman, Victoria Nuland, said Tuesday that the U.S. welcomes "any reforms that'll allow Cubans to depart from and return to their country freely. We remain committed to the migration accords under which our two countries support and promote safe, legal and orderly migration. Our own visa requirements remain unchanged."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1974204.html

It seems to me from the above, that if they plan on coming here legally (according to laws of both countries) they will still need visas, which take years to be issued. If they're travelling by raft or boat (illegal by Cuba's standards), as they did before the restrictions were lifted, they won't need them, just like always.
If a Cuban visits the country, he does not have to leave. Visa's for visiting the country are given all the time. If he visits the country, and decides not to leave the country, we won't and more importantly we can't send him back to Cuba.