Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 390
Default True #2 WR

I have been reading comment after comment about us not having a "true # 2 WR. I personally think Sanu and Jones fit the bill of a #2. They showed great flashes and will only get better with time. You HAVE to give young guys time to get better, especially guys who have showed promise. Everyone is complaining about "we need a number two WR". I can't remember where but someone said we need an "elite number two WR". What the heck is an elite number two?! Someone please explain why we need to waste an early pick and OVERDRAFT two promising complementary receivers?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 28866
Default Re: True #2 WR

Plenty of teams draft WRs and have them mostly sit for a few seasons.

I like Sanu and Jones, but I have a problem with blindly relying on them.

What if they don't pan out? What if they're just new versions of Simpson and Caldwell?

Then we'd be pretty screwed at that spot next year. Again.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 428

I'd like to see a veteran FA brought in. Let's just make sure a competent physical is given to that guy first, though.
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2432

Quote:
Originally Posted by renorvis View Post
I have been reading comment after comment about us not having a "true # 2 WR. I personally think Sanu and Jones fit the bill of a #2. They showed great flashes and will only get better with time. You HAVE to give young guys time to get better, especially guys who have showed promise. Everyone is complaining about "we need a number two WR". I can't remember where but someone said we need an "elite number two WR". What the heck is an elite number two?! Someone please explain why we need to waste an early pick and OVERDRAFT two promising complementary receivers?
We don't. Same thing I have been saying in the Draft forum the past couple of weeks. We have enough talent at WR especially when Sanu is back next season. The offense needs an upgrade at RB to split time with BJGE and for Andy Dalton to make significant improvements in his pocket awareness and poise when pressured going into next season. I think we also need Robinson to be our Center next year as he clearly outperformed Cook when he was given the chance to play.
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Our lineup next year should be...

#1 Aj Green

#2 Sanu

#3 Marvin Jones

#4 Ryan Whalen

#5 Andrew Hawkins
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 276

i agree. im actually pretty comfortable with the weapons we have for dalton to use. The only thing i feel we need to get is a center first and foremost. Then the next would be to get a stud rb if we can.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

The offense was ranked 22nd and people are ok with what we currently have?

That really doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer1 View Post

well personally im okay with most of the pieces we have. Now we just need someone to implement them properly.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1102

I am still all for bringing in TO even if his NFL age is 81.
TO 4Ever!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:

Saying WR isn't the problem doesn't mean that other upgrades can't be made to improve this offense. I actually agree with you that Dalton doesn't seem to be the type of QB to lead this team to a deep playoff run but he isn't going anywhere next season or the season after for that matter. Love it or hate it he is going to be the guy for another couple of seasons at minimum. An explosive RB will help this team in the mean time and getting some kind of Center replacement is also needed. That guy might already be here in Robinson but if not look to upgrade the spot in the draft. Wharton or another FA Guard should compete with Boling for the LG spot as well. I would not be upset if we brought in a Greg Jennings but that doesn't seem like the type of move that this franchise ever makes. I just don't think using an early draft pick on WR is more beneficial than improving the LB corp and improving the Running game and Offensive or Defensive lines.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
Saying WR isn't the problem doesn't mean that other upgrades can't be made to improve this offense. I actually agree with you that Dalton doesn't seem to be the type of QB to lead this team to a deep playoff run but he isn't going anywhere next season or the season after for that matter. Love it or hate it he is going to be the guy for another couple of seasons at minimum. An explosive RB will help this team in the mean time and getting some kind of Center replacement is also needed. That guy might already be here in Robinson but if not look to upgrade the spot in the draft. Wharton or another FA Guard should compete with Boling for the LG spot as well. I would not be upset if we brought in a Greg Jennings but that doesn't seem like the type of move that this franchise ever makes. I just don't think using an early draft pick on WR is more beneficial than improving the LB corp and improving the Running game and Offensive or Defensive lines.
What we do in the draft depends on what we do in FA. A WR and a RB are definite needs, though.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 30834

Quote:
I'd like to see a veteran FA brought in. Let's just make sure a competent physical is given to that guy first, though.
I think this is the main snake bite of the Bengals. Good veterans dont want to come here because the past 23 years make this place look like the place careers come to die. If they do want to come here they'll break the bank because, if they can't get a ring; they want to get paid.

Step down Mike Brown! Cincinnati will NEVER win a superbowl while Mike Brown is in the front office.

I know some people truly believe that posting things on these boards means nothing; so, I encourage all of you to write or call the Bengals front office and demand change:

Cincinnati Bengals
One Paul Brown Stadium
Cincinnati, OH 45202

phone: 513-621-3550
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_dey_hooligan View Post
I think this is the main snake bite of the Bengals. Good veterans dont want to come here because the past 23 years make this place look like the place careers come to die. If they do want to come here they'll break the bank because, if they can't get a ring; they want to get paid.
The past few years are different than the past 23 years.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Quote:

Our defense was #6 and people still want a safety and new LB. Does that make sense?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
I am still all for bringing in TO even if his NFL age is 81.
TO 4Ever!
TO is over the hill now, granted, but look me up when we find a #2 who is more productive than he was in 2010.
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118
bengals Re: True #2 WR

Quote:
Julio Jones and Roddy White?
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1796

Sanu and Jones were rookies. With the exception of those like AJ Green and Megatron, most WR take years to develop. I would be okay with bringing in a veteran in the FA but I seriously doubt that this team does. I have no doubt that they will be viable #2s - maybe as soon as next year since they have had way more in game experience than most rookies - but like I said I would be ok with a veteran option. This would have been obvious on here a few years ago (how long before Simpson ever played again?) AJ Green has really spoiled us!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
What we do in the draft depends on what we do in FA. A WR and a RB are definite needs, though.
You have complained all day about Dalton and how bad he is. So if he is so bad how do you know that we need to upgrade the WR position. Sanu and Jones were both good and they were only rookies, and we never had them playing together in the offense all season. Those two with another year under their belts and AJ Green being an elite WR weapon makes it way less of a need than most other positions on the team. I would be shocked if we used a draft pick early on for a WR because clearly the staff likes what they have in Sanu and Jones because Marvin would never have let those guys be starters otherwise.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pickens View Post
Julio Jones and Roddy White?
So you draft a #2 receiver in first round?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595

Stop this #2 WR nonsense.

I hate when people make dumb comments like we shouldn't draft a receiver in the 1st (or 2nd) round because we need a #2 WR not a #1. How stupid is that? As if you have to have one good starting WR and some second tier guy as the other starter. If a guy isn't capable if being a #1 WR, he shouldn't be a starter.

The colts had Marvin Harrison and drafted Reggie Wayne. The falcons had Roddy White and traded up to get Julio Jones. When the bengals were good they had Isaac Curtis and they still drafted David Verser in round one and Collinsworth in round two. They drafted Eddie Brown and Tim McGee in the first round in back to back drafts.

I don't know why fans have this idea that you have to slot guys and you can have one really good guy and the other starter has to be second tier to fit into the #2 "role"
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleRock85 View Post
You have complained all day about Dalton and how bad he is. So if he is so bad how do you know that we need to upgrade the WR position. Sanu and Jones were both good and they were only rookies, and we never had them playing together in the offense all season. Those two with another year under their belts and AJ Green being an elite WR weapon makes it way less of a need than most other positions on the team. I would be shocked if we used a draft pick early on for a WR because clearly the staff likes what they have in Sanu and Jones because Marvin would never have let those guys be starters otherwise.
I dare to imagine something better than Sanu and Jones. Believe it's possible. Do not stand still. Do not accept mediocrity. Believe it. Want it.

Seriously.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 886

If we were going to get a veteran, "rental" #2 WR, this would've been the year to do so. Going into next season, I think Green, Sanu, and Jones will be a fine 1-2-3 combination. I could see going after a veteran guy in Free Agency too, but drafting a WR early would be stupid. I don't like the idea of picking an OL guy early either, but I'd understand if we did draft a guy who could play guard and center. It's just to me, Robinson seems like the guy for the future and Boling was highly rated almost the entire year. For the line to struggle so much these last few games does give some credibility to the whole "Cook Stinks" theory.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Blake View Post
Plenty of teams draft WRs and have them mostly sit for a few seasons.

I like Sanu and Jones, but I have a problem with blindly relying on them.

What if they don't pan out? What if they're just new versions of Simpson and Caldwell?

Then we'd be pretty screwed at that spot next year. Again.
Jones just isn't good. He's a #4 or 5.

Sanu is a #3. Defenses will adjust to him. We need a faster #2.

I agree. We need to add one.

Last edited by THE PISTONS; 01-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8668

Quote:
This is why we lose. We rely on a bunch of unproven instead of spending cap space on proven upgrades.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 15159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_dey_hooligan View Post
I think any player with a good agent would recommend his guy give the2013 Bengals a good look.

Why?

Bengals have a ton of cap money.
Bengals are one of youngest teams in the league.
Bengals have been to playoffs 3 of last 4 years.
Bengals have a perrenial all pro reciever in AJ Green
Bengals have an awesome DL

If Zim and Gruden stay, they also added to Lewis have a very good coaching staff.

That is old news about Bengals players coming here and career dies. Why would they die here. These guys know talent and they know Bengals are a young up and coming dominant team.

I see as the Texans 3 years ago. The Texans signed JJ and went to the next level. I think the Bengals need 1 key FA signing at WR in 2013. Our young WR's will be great in 3 or 4 years. We need someone now to take the pressure off of AJ.

"And for the record, no, I don't think we make the playoffs. This is still a very poorly run team. ( just look at the HC still being here) 6-10. Mark it down"
Toast Jones