Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1909
Default Late round Runningbacks

It's frustrating to watch these teams able to find success late in the draft at RB. Benard pierce for the ravens, Ballard for the Colts, and of course Morris for Washington. Instead of taking a guy with raw potential we take a Boom Herron who never sees the field because Marvin would rather use a glorified fullback in Leonard. Same with that Finley we took from Baylor. Look fast and smooth in preseason but couldn't make the team. Guess what, it will be the same next season. The RBs will be BJGE, Peerman, and Leonard. Maybe next year wil try and run a screen to Peerman instead of the law firm twice for 5 yard losses
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Banned

Rep Points: 595
Default Re: Late round Runningbacks

I really thought the bengals would draft Bernard Pierce last year. I heard they had scouted Temple pretty good. I was hoping they'd take him.

I actually think Jim Anderson is pretty poor at evaluating RB talent. He seems to have a certain style RB he likes and we never have any interest in guys like Ray Rice, MJD, Ladainian Tomlinson etc. They don't fit his mold.

I just want a good all-around, complete RB. No more one -dimensional players like Rudi Johnson who are non-existent in the passing game. No more casts of situational backs so the defense knows exactly what you're doing based on who is in the game.

I always hear Marvin talking about how dangerous ray rice is and how important it is to stop him both in the running game and passing game. But they show absolutely no interest in those type of players in the draft or free agency.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1014

Id rather then just use one of their first three picks on an all around 3 down back who has all the tools. None of the late round crap unless his name is Dri Archer (if he declares).

Eddie Lacy is the answer!

Here Us......ROAR!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 PM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 37728

I think we were prepared to use late round draft chice Bernard Scott quite a bit this year; unfortunately, he couldn't stay healthy
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 324

Call me crazy but with our two second round picks this year, the 3rd is more expendable. That being said, here comes the crazy part, draft Lattimore .
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118
bengals Re: Late round Runningbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14to18 View Post
Call me crazy but with our two second round picks this year, the 3rd is more expendable. That being said, here comes the crazy part, draft Lattimore .
I would not be upset going with a couple backs in this draft. Dyer or Lacey late, or even the kid out of UNC early
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pickens View Post
I would not be upset going with a couple backs in this draft. Dyer or Lacey late, or even the kid out of UNC early

lacy won't be a late pick
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2189

Kerwynn Williams.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2527

I think that if they are going to take a RB go big or go home. Draft one of the top 2 if they are there in the 2nd.

However I do like Stacy and Niles Davis.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Le'Veon Bell would be a good pick.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals85 View Post
It's frustrating to watch these teams able to find success late in the draft at RB. Benard pierce for the ravens, Ballard for the Colts, and of course Morris for Washington. Instead of taking a guy with raw potential we take a Boom Herron who never sees the field because Marvin would rather use a glorified fullback in Leonard. Same with that Finley we took from Baylor. Look fast and smooth in preseason but couldn't make the team. Guess what, it will be the same next season. The RBs will be BJGE, Peerman, and Leonard. Maybe next year wil try and run a screen to Peerman instead of the law firm twice for 5 yard losses

Yeah i don't understand that either. Lawfirm has no quickness or acceleration...& if we're lucky when we do actually change it up they put Leonard in there...makes no sense.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
I really thought the bengals would draft Bernard Pierce last year. I heard they had scouted Temple pretty good. I was hoping they'd take him.

I actually think Jim Anderson is pretty poor at evaluating RB talent. He seems to have a certain style RB he likes and we never have any interest in guys like Ray Rice, MJD, Ladainian Tomlinson etc. They don't fit his mold.

I just want a good all-around, complete RB. No more one -dimensional players like Rudi Johnson who are non-existent in the passing game. No more casts of situational backs so the defense knows exactly what you're doing based on who is in the game.

I always hear Marvin talking about how dangerous ray rice is and how important it is to stop him both in the running game and passing game. But they show absolutely no interest in those type of players in the draft or free agency.
Agreed, Anderson seems to like the big, powerful guys. Rudi, Benson, and now BJGE. I really wonder what the offense would look like if the Bengals had a guy that was a threat to go all the way. Benson may be the fastest running back that played consistently in Cinci since Dillon.

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2189

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellMarine View Post
Agreed, Anderson seems to like the big, powerful guys. Rudi, Benson, and now BJGE. I really wonder what the offense would look like if the Bengals had a guy that was a threat to go all the way. Benson may be the fastest running back that played consistently in Cinci since Dillon.
Would have looked like atleast 1 TD in the playoff game, with the holes this line is making for BJGE if we get a guy with legit speed we would probably ripped off quite a few long rushing TDs. Those 20 yarders BJGE had this year are TDs with a guy like Gio and Barner.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 1182

Marshall ASU, He's a perfect RB for AFC. 5'11" 223, powerful and quick and would be a great find in the sixth round.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
Le'Veon Bell would be a good pick.
Not a big fan of Bell.
He certainly doesn't have great speed and as a bigger back, he won't get low enough to break many tackles in the NFL. He can get away w/ it in college b/c he's big but that won't fly in the NFL.