Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1648
Default Re: Perhaps the Bengals' last chance to save QB position

Dalton is far from the only problem on offense. He is in his second year, had a sub-par running game, no real #2 option behind Green, and poor pass protection. Yet he still performed well enough to get us to the playoffs. Is he as gifted as Luck or RGIII? No, but that does not mean he can not be a good starter in this league.

The_B2S: We were not going to be able to trade Dalton in any way to get RGIII. I promise that. The Browns would have went for RGIII if they wanted anything to do with a trade like that, not Dalton.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10935

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_B2S View Post
In 2011, I thought the Bengals should have drafted Kaepernick instead of Dalton. Last year, I argued that the Bengals should have used Dalton in order to move up to draft RG3, who I knew would be better than Dalton. See this thread for more info: http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=93693 this might be the last time the Bengals can trade Dalton in order to draft a better QB. Trade Dalton to move up to draft Geno Smith. He's a franchise QB. He's not as good as RG3 but he will still be a star and is, unlike Dalton, a QB to build around.

Nice scouting, except for Geno Smith ?

I too knew these QB's would be good as well.

Kenny Anderson
Johnny Unitas
Dan Marino
Steve Young
John Elway
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
and Joe Montana

We could team up to make a great scouting department. Because we knew.

Caution sarcasm included
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Cards View Post
Nice scouting, except for Geno Smith ?

I too knew these QB's would be good as well.

Kenny Anderson
Johnny Unitas
Dan Marino
Steve Young
John Elway
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
and Joe Montana

We could team up to make a great scouting department. Because we knew.

Caution sarcasm included
Your sarcasm makes no sense here. Let me guess; you answer calls for a living, huh?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 7738

Quote:
Your sarcasm makes no sense here. Let me guess; you answer calls for a living, huh?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2969

Quote:
Do you think the Bengals should have made a move to get RG3? Trying to discredit my opinion that the Bengals should have tried to move heaven and earth to get RG3 by incessantly invoking a video game is nonsensical. It would have been difficult, but do you remember the Herschel Walker trade? Or the Ricky Williams trade? Blockbuster trades do happen.

So just answer my original question. Do you think the Bengals should have made a move for RG3? If they did acquire him, I think the team would be in a much better position. Do you disagree?
I actually do disagree. Obviously Dalton wouldn't have made the whole move, meaning the Bengals likely wouldn't have acquired Kirk or Zeitler, and depending on how much they wanted, no Still, Sanu or Thompson.

Adrian "All Day" Peterson
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1035
browns Re: Perhaps the Bengals' last chance to save QB position

I think there are definatlry better qbs out there than Dalton, but at this point I thunk we are stuck with him.. so all we can do is "baby-proof" the offense and upgrade every spot we can and atleast try and make it easier for ginger man. Center needs upgraded, #2 wr, cop back, and figure out the te situation. I'm bummed as anyone else, but thinking MB is gonna go a dif direction at qb is a pipedream, all we can pray for is making the offense better in spite of him.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1387

Quote:
In 2011, I thought the Bengals should have drafted Kaepernick instead of Dalton. Last year, I argued that the Bengals should have used Dalton in order to move up to draft RG3, who I knew would be better than Dalton. See this thread for more info: http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=93693 this might be the last time the Bengals can trade Dalton in order to draft a better QB. Trade Dalton to move up to draft Geno Smith. He's a franchise QB. He's not as good as RG3 but he will still be a star and is, unlike Dalton, a QB to build around.

I'm with you on this %100. If we get a QB with pocket instincts, a good arm and can accurately find the open WR we will go deep into the playoffs next year.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 886

I can't say if Dalton is or isn't the QB of the future, seeing how this is only his second year and growing pains should be expected, however moving up for RG3 would've been foolish. Yeah, franchise QB is arguably one of the most important aspects to a team, they aren't the ONLY important part. Moving up would've been EXTREMELY costly, leaving us with almost nothing to address any other holes. Not to mention, at the time, Dalton just came off an all-time great rookie year, leading this team to the playoffs. Trading him then would've been stupid. Saying we should have done it now is a total "hindsight is 20/20" move and kinda weak to be honest.

Next year will tell the tale of Dalton as a Bengal. He'll either improve or he won't. Either way, it'll answer the question of whether he is or isn't the guy. Until then, making a move for a QB, for competition or whatever, will probably do more harm than good.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17876

Quote:
Answer me this: do you think Dalton is either better than CK or RG3?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 17876

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
Are there any white QBs you like?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 118
bengals Re: Perhaps the Bengals' last chance to save QB position

We've been beating this horse to death recently. Geno is overrated and only the top pick because of the weak qb class. I would still go Barkley over Geno at qb. And even if he was legit, there is nothing the bengals could or even want to attempt to do. Give Dalton more weapons or protection. If he struggles then he is out and the next guy will have more weapons to play with. Bottom line, there is no upgrade available this offseason in the draft or FA that would be an upgrade over Dalton in 2013.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 35

2013 will tell whether or not Dalton is the QB for our future. He's had time to learn, he's had two full seasons and 2 playoff games. He has 2 years of experience here, and we can only wait and see what he'll do with it come next year. Personally, I'm excited for the draft. I'm EXTREMELY excited to have Sanu back for next year because I think he has hands of glue and is tough to take down, and he fights for the ball. Throw him in the slot when M. Jones in on the field, and we SHOULD have a nice arsenal of weapons (including Gresham and O. Charles). BTW, I think Gresh will get his Shhh together this year cause he knows he's had some big dropped passes and that he's better than that.

Add another year to Zeitler and the rest of the OLine to work together, with hopefully an upgrade at center. Add another change of pace back and keep Green Ellis for tough yards. The 2011 team had the talent, my opinion the play calling was horrible most of the time. Keep Gruden, I guess... Definitely keep Zimmer, and make Marvin Lewis a LB coach of some sort. Development or something. And give us, Jon Gruden, Bill Cower, Tony Dungy or somebody that can make the right F'n calls. Better luck next year Bengals, but for the love of God, make this offseason all work and no play. Become the talk of the AFCN, and even the AFC or entire NFL. Put your talent to use and SOMEBODY please replace Marvin Lewis!!! Somebody better, that is.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21501

Quote:
No thank you. Kaepernick isn't better than Dalton, and Geno Smith will not be either. RG3, most likely....but you never know.

Join the Bengals Message Board Survivor League. You know you want to....
http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=125239
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2575

Quote:
last i checked, Geno has RG3 beat in every category.

I support Andy Dalton 100 percent. Some fans expect too much too soon or from too little.

Dalton is not the problem. Sometimes I think the only reason people gripe about him is because they have nothing better to do or simply like to read the word of their own writing, similar to when people complaining just to hear the sound of their own voice.

If the world has no faith in me, Then I have no faith in it.

Prosperity should not be shared with those who did not earn it.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2394
Default If a promising QB is available via FA or Draft...

If we can acquire a promising QB via FA or the draft would you be in favor of drafting him? I think it would be good for Andy to have someone to compete with. If we're lucky Andy takes a step forward over the offseason, and we have a good backup/trade bait on the roster.

Andy has played the magic 32 games, and does not look like a franchise QB. He'd be quite serviceable with a great line and running game, but you're going to have games where you have to evade pressure. If you want to win a Super Bowl, you're going to have to withstand assaults from guys like Watt. I don't think Andy can learn how to do this, not at this late stage in his football life. Pocket awareness requires an innate ability that cannot be learned.

I say we should be on the lookout for some QB insurance. This team with an excellent QB would be an order of magnitude better, which means they would be damn good - legit Super Bowl contender good.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 312
Default Re: If a promising QB is available via FA or Draft...

U want Flacco?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1352

I'd be happy acquiring Alex Smith.

Although we may not agree on everything, the fact that you're a Bengals fan makes you alright in my book!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 274

I do want a better backup.. Sign a cheap one or draft one late, I wouldnt go out our way to sign a qb, we have much bigger problems.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1294

Im still gonna give andy another year. His first year was great for a rookie. It seemed like he wasnt any better or worse in his second year. So if he stays pat we should look but he hasnt been so bad that we need a new QB ASAP
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 1225

Wouldn't mind signing Mike Vick.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10554

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Wise-Old-Bengal-Fan View Post
I'd be happy acquiring Alex Smith.
As a back up.

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 47

I would be more interested in finding an upgrade at the OC position. I can't say that I watched every down, but I don't recall seeing many, if any at all, drag plays. Might do some wonders for our offense and time management to incorporate some of these plays.

Andy can get the ball fairly deep, has surprised me at times.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8736

Im giving Andy one more year.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10411

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer1 View Post
Big and elusive. Almost impossible to tackle. Very, very smart QB. Is a pure pocket passer, but can use his legs when needed.

He's a Ben clone. He's going to be an All-Pro.
Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton are both taller and weigh more than Smith. Dalton and Ponder are same height and weigh more.

Elusive? Smith has 5 games where has has negative rushing yards this season.

How exactly is he smart? I'm not saying he's dumb, but how do you get this understanding of his mindset?

He is not a good rusher. He had negative yards during his 2011 season.

Geno Smith is not a Big Ben clone. If anything, he's almost identical to Blaine Gabbert.

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/wolfkaosaun
Writer For
http://stripehype.com/
http://whodazed.com/
My YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/andwegiveup

Draft Rushel Shell when he declares!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1381

Andy and Bruce seem to do well together plus Bruce is cheap and has experience. He was getting a lot of praise on the radio for his weekly preparation always preparing as if he will get the start. Extend him and draft a QB late as a project/somebody to compete with Robinson.

It's known around the league that it's the 3rd year when the QB really starts to figure it out. Gruden will likely be gone and the Bengals should either give Hue a shot or bring in a legit OC before any decisions are made on Andy. Andy isn't going anywhere, Reedy tweeted yesterday that Marvin during the postgame press conference said how much he loves this core. Andy deserves some criticism but like usual QBs take too much credit and get too much criticism.