Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > The NFL Draft

The NFL Draft Year-round discussion of all aspects of the NFL Draft, including a subforum specifically dedicated to mock drafts.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4363
Default Re: If a promising QB is available via FA or Draft...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
If we can acquire a promising QB via FA or the draft would you be in favor of drafting him? I think it would be good for Andy to have someone to compete with. If we're lucky Andy takes a step forward over the offseason, and we have a good backup/trade bait on the roster.

Andy has played the magic 32 games, and does not look like a franchise QB. He'd be quite serviceable with a great line and running game, but you're going to have games where you have to evade pressure. If you want to win a Super Bowl, you're going to have to withstand assaults from guys like Watt. I don't think Andy can learn how to do this, not at this late stage in his football life. Pocket awareness requires an innate ability that cannot be learned.

I say we should be on the lookout for some QB insurance. This team with an excellent QB would be an order of magnitude better, which means they would be damn good - legit Super Bowl contender good.
To you.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 24324

Red Rifle...Reloaded.
The source is my arse.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 AM
VIP Silver Member

Default Re: Perhaps the Bengals' last chance to save QB position

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbengal View Post
Thank you, someone else seen what i did in geno smith. I am biased because i am from wv and a fan. I mentioned drafting tavon austin or stedman bailey but was bashed by blind bengal homers, yes i am a life long reds and bengals fan, from wv, and i moved here because of it in 2004, but i am not a homer, i say draft geno, let him learn under andy for a year or let him compete in camp, geno will beat him in camp, he has excellent field vision, accurate and a big arm, and he can run, he did not have to at wvu cause of tavon and stedman, but i agree with you draft geno
And then probably bust by LOSING. Thus we go back to Dalton and continue to win.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 18957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
No thank you. Kaepernick isn't better than Dalton, and Geno Smith will not be either. RG3, most likely....but you never know.

Kaepernick > Alex Smith > Dalton
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_B2S View Post
In 2011, I thought the Bengals should have drafted Kaepernick instead of Dalton. Last year, I argued that the Bengals should have used Dalton in order to move up to draft RG3, who I knew would be better than Dalton. See this thread for more info: http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=93693 this might be the last time the Bengals can trade Dalton in order to draft a better QB. Trade Dalton to move up to draft Geno Smith. He's a franchise QB. He's not as good as RG3 but he will still be a star and is, unlike Dalton, a QB to build around.
Wait til next year. RGIII is limping now and will probably be destroyed completely next year. CK has the luxury of playing in a very weak division and has a WR in Crabtree 2 terrific TEs in Davis and Walker as well as a great Run game with Gore in the back field. Now throw in an Offensive line that excels in run and pass pro, you now have a recipe for success with CK.

Dalton has 1 WR in Green, a decent OLine, inconsistent number 2 WRs, a TE that is being horribly coached by Hayes (or is just plain bad), a mediocre run game. Now throw in an OLine that has him sacked 46 times this season and an OLine coach that doesn't get pulling someone and replacing them with someone that is effective. So saying that CK and RGIII are better is a little unfair.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMedic View Post
I would be more interested in finding an upgrade at the OC position. I can't say that I watched every down, but I don't recall seeing many, if any at all, drag plays. Might do some wonders for our offense and time management to incorporate some of these plays.

Andy can get the ball fairly deep, has surprised me at times.
If gruden got a HC position somewhere i wouldnt be upset.

And andy can get the ball fairly deep, but his deep accuracy is severely lacking.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:36 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal9 View Post
Andy and Bruce seem to do well together plus Bruce is cheap and has experience. He was getting a lot of praise on the radio for his weekly preparation always preparing as if he will get the start. Extend him and draft a QB late as a project/somebody to compete with Robinson.

It's known around the league that it's the 3rd year when the QB really starts to figure it out. Gruden will likely be gone and the Bengals should either give Hue a shot or bring in a legit OC before any decisions are made on Andy. Andy isn't going anywhere, Reedy tweeted yesterday that Marvin during the postgame press conference said how much he loves this core. Andy deserves some criticism but like usual QBs take too much credit and get too much criticism.
I agree with the bruce part. I have no idea why people dislike bruce. He is an ideal backup. He is great at helping Andy, he has played and won big games, he is content with his role, and he is a team player.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 165

Current arguing about Dalton is like arguing about rg3 and manning if they traded schemes. We aren't playing to our qb's strengths so don't be surprised when he doesn't look really good.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
Wait til next year. RGIII is limping now and will probably be destroyed completely next year. CK has the luxury of playing in a very weak division and has a WR in Crabtree 2 terrific TEs in Davis and Walker as well as a great Run game with Gore in the back field. Now throw in an Offensive line that excels in run and pass pro, you now have a recipe for success with CK.

Dalton has 1 WR in Green, a decent OLine, inconsistent number 2 WRs, a TE that is being horribly coached by Hayes (or is just plain bad), a mediocre run game. Now throw in an OLine that has him sacked 46 times this season and an OLine coach that doesn't get pulling someone and replacing them with someone that is effective. So saying that CK and RGIII are better is a little unfair.

So we have to wait for the Bengals to get a better Oline, consistent number 2 WR's, a better TE and a better RB before we can compare Dalton to CK???
Plus is the west a very weak division??? Frisco, Seattle, St. Louis, are weak?????

Meanwhile last year there was no issues comparing Dalton to Cam. Now all of a sudden, the excuses are piling up.
Last year same TE, worse RB, and inconsistent number 2 and 3 WRs.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 01-07-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 3250

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowxdiscipline View Post
Im giving Andy one more year.
Same. This next year should reveal everything as far as his ceiling and if he is truly the QB to build this franchise around or not. Because of his skill set it's hard to tell if he'll peak at what he is now or if he'll be the next Drew Brees. The improvement he shows (or lack thereof) in 2013 should speak volumes.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
Laughable. Alex Smith was absolutely horrible for the first 5 years in the league and didn't perform until placed in the PERFECT system. Alex Smith in this offense would probably be worse then Andy. After all stats wise Andy is already superior to Smith (more TD's and yardage then Smith at his best). Same deal with Kaepernick. In this offense he would struggle all the same. If you're purely looking at skill set yes Kaepernick is superior to Andy but in terms of fit Andy would probably look BETTER then Smith in that system and who knows how Kaepernick would do in our offense. Unless we adapt to his skillset i'd imagine not so good.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 AM
VIP Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton's_Gang View Post
last i checked, Geno has RG3 beat in every category.
If that were true Smith would be the consensus number one overall pick in an already weak QB class. He isn't.

-The Rookie Connection-
Old 01-07-2013, 05:20 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9888

Bengals fans always just assume that their stupid and often lopsided trade ideas will always get accepted.

So in your world Dalton ***** but the Rams should have passed on the Redskins deal and accept Dalton as their QB?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 10432

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBengal9 View Post
Andy and Bruce seem to do well together plus Bruce is cheap and has experience. He was getting a lot of praise on the radio for his weekly preparation always preparing as if he will get the start. Extend him and draft a QB late as a project/somebody to compete with Robinson.

It's known around the league that it's the 3rd year when the QB really starts to figure it out. Gruden will likely be gone and the Bengals should either give Hue a shot or bring in a legit OC before any decisions are made on Andy. Andy isn't going anywhere, Reedy tweeted yesterday that Marvin during the postgame press conference said how much he loves this core. Andy deserves some criticism but like usual QBs take too much credit and get too much criticism.
I agree. You know what... why the hell doesn't our offense scheme have decent checkdowns? Especially with the way this O-line has been playing you'd think that would be a given. It would at least give Andy a chance when other options are covered.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Quote:
In 2011, I thought the Bengals should have drafted Kaepernick instead of Dalton. Last year, I argued that the Bengals should have used Dalton in order to move up to draft RG3, who I knew would be better than Dalton. See this thread for more info: http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=93693 this might be the last time the Bengals can trade Dalton in order to draft a better QB. Trade Dalton to move up to draft Geno Smith. He's a franchise QB. He's not as good as RG3 but he will still be a star and is, unlike Dalton, a QB to build around.
It just gets better and better.

The freaks really come out of the wood work in times like these. I just hope most of you fade back into the shadows in a week or two.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8711

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalYankee View Post
What a joke.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 12902

Quote:
Your sarcasm makes no sense here. Let me guess; you answer calls for a living, huh?

Stand corrected. You are prophetic

Just read a thread of yours where you stated that the Bengals defense had to have a "game changer".

Then you proclaimed Rey Maualuga to be that "game changer". You were definitely right about that because he certainly changed that playoff game.

Do I answer phones for a living you ask ? If it pays the bills who cares ?

But no I do not, but think no less of those who do. But I always answer the bell.

Last edited by Go Cards; 01-07-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2030

Quote:
Originally Posted by momadance02 View Post
It just gets better and better.

The freaks really come out of the wood work in times like these. I just hope most of you fade back into the shadows in a week or two.
+1. Lol It is what it is! I'll say it again, just be thankful we aren't Cowboy fans!!! If we were, I imagine the suicide rate would sky rocket!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniversal View Post
Laughable. Alex Smith was absolutely horrible for the first 5 years in the league and didn't perform until placed in the PERFECT system. Alex Smith in this offense would probably be worse then Andy. After all stats wise Andy is already superior to Smith (more TD's and yardage then Smith at his best). Same deal with Kaepernick. In this offense he would struggle all the same. If you're purely looking at skill set yes Kaepernick is superior to Andy but in terms of fit Andy would probably look BETTER then Smith in that system and who knows how Kaepernick would do in our offense. Unless we adapt to his skillset i'd imagine not so good.

Ha laughable and hypocrisy. All last year Dalton's calvary said stats don't matter it's winning that matters. Especially when compared with Cam Newton. Now, all of a sudden "stats wise Andy is already superior to Smith (more TD's and yardage then Smith at his best). Same deal with Kaepernick."

Ha!!!! When it fits members like you, you use stats, when that doesn't work you use wins.

I am not compaing Andy with Alex's first five years. I am comparing the last two years!!!!!

If Alex, Kaepernick and Andy were all on the 49ers squad. Andy would be holding the clip board.

Last edited by BengalYankee; 01-07-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
As a back up.
You're crazy! He's the closest thing to an elite QB this town will ever see. Who do you suppose should start in front of this kid with his 19-5 NFL record?

Although we may not agree on everything, the fact that you're a Bengals fan makes you alright in my book!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8290

No.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 11232

Give Dalton a true premier bruiser of a running back and then judge him. Sometimes it's not the QB but something else.

Bad coaching can neutralize even the most talented of athletes.
There are two seasons of the year for me: Football Season and waiting for Football Season.
On the Bengals Bandwagon since 1981
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2996

I would like us to pick up a TRUE back-up QB. I like Gradkowski but his ceiling is maxed.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 165

Comparing QBs in different systems with different skill sets is like apples and oranges. While I don't think Andy Dalton is Elite, I think he is slightly above average and is the one to focus on moving forward. We have larger issues to address initially. That being said, I still don't like Alex Smith. He seems to hit a groove as of the last couple seasons, but doesn't seem to ever be considered elite himself, after 7 years. I think this forum needs to get over being elite, and start focusing on getting better. Guess what, there are some teams with elite qbs who aren't playing Sunday. The time it takes to replace and train someone else isn't worth the hassle either. We need to just understand that Andy Dalton is our man, and do everything we can to make him successful.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDeySailor View Post
Comparing QBs in different systems with different skill sets is like apples and oranges. While I don't think Andy Dalton is Elite, I think he is slightly above average and is the one to focus on moving forward. We have larger issues to address initially. That being said, I still don't like Alex Smith. He seems to hit a groove as of the last couple seasons, but doesn't seem to ever be considered elite himself, after 7 years. I think this forum needs to get over being elite, and start focusing on getting better. Guess what, there are some teams with elite qbs who aren't playing Sunday. The time it takes to replace and train someone else isn't worth the hassle either. We need to just understand that Andy Dalton is our man, and do everything we can to make him successful.
Then the Calvary should not have compared Andy vs Cam.