Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 2126
Default Re: Trade Gresham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Everyone makes a big deal about him making a pro bowl.

Did you know that 4 of the first 6 TE's taken in his class have been to a pro bowl? Of which (Gresham, Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Jimmy Graham) Gresham is the weakest link.

As for who we could have taken at 21 that year...... ummm..... Devin McCourty.
Don't know if McCorty would have made sense at the time we had Hall and JJ still. Dez Bryant on the other hand could have been the pick.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2778

Gresh drops too many balls, and doesn't do a very good job of using his size in passing game. He's a decent TE, but the kind of weapon we need as a receiving TE.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal4ever68 View Post
I think Orson Charles could be better. Imagine if we had Peyton Manning as our QB..I'm sure he'd make all of our guys look like stars...We just need a good QB.
Just imagine guys if only we could get a HoF QB then Orson Charles will be unstoppable!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 9879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawless_1 View Post
Everyone makes a big deal about him making a pro bowl.

Did you know that 4 of the first 6 TE's taken in his class have been to a pro bowl? Of which (Gresham, Gronkowski, Hernandez, and Jimmy Graham) Gresham is the weakest link.

As for who we could have taken at 21 that year...... ummm..... Devin McCourty.
Because he's the weakest link of 4 great players he *****? That's like the most illogical thing ive ever read.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8704

Yes, more trade ideas!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Banned

Rep Points: 6027

Quote:
I think Orson Charles could be better. Imagine if we had Peyton Manning as our QB..I'm sure he'd make all of our guys look like stars...We just need a good QB.

While i do have questions about Dalton, and while i do know he couldnt hold peytons jock strap, fact is you bring peyton or brady here will it help,,yeah but not as much as you think, not with our lousy pass pro,,those QBs would want out after 1 year here because they would demand that we invest heavily into the line.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 8704

Quote:
Dalton suks..We need a f'n QB because Andy isn't going to get it done....I'd give them one of our 2nd round picks if they didn't want Gresham.
Just stop, child.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Graduated Newbie

Rep Points: 25

This is just plain hilarious, can you imagine the Pats taking Gresham? They have two of the best TEs in the league. They've had enough trouble with Bengals receivers.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabo614 View Post
While i do have questions about Dalton, and while i do know he couldnt hold peytons jock strap, fact is you bring peyton or brady here will it help,,yeah but not as much as you think, not with our lousy pass pro,,those QBs would want out after 1 year here because they would demand that we invest heavily into the line.

This statement didnt take a lot of analysis.......I think anyone could have stated that Brady and Peyton would improve this team

I think it is laughable that some believe that they can call Dalton a failure already. It is year 2! This was the only year he had a full training camp and he is putting up numbers like Brady and Peyton when they were starting off.

The things that Dalton has trouoble with is recognition. This is something that he will develop over time. I expect to see a huge improvement next year.

What I would like to see is us bring in a legitimate back-up QB. No offense to Gradkowski but we need someone who we can coach up. Bruce is a safety net, that is all.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:33 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 5214

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE PISTONS View Post
What exactly has Mallet done to make you think he's a franchise qb? He had some issues coming into the NFL too.
Quote:
He's better than Dalton & knows how to throw a football. We should trade for him because he's a young qb and he can complete a deep ball. He did very well in preseason both this year and last year.
Lmao.... Wow. So you think because Mallet did good in a few pre-season games he is better than Dalton who has led his team to the playoffs in two straight years???

You may need some meds...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 35467

Quote:
We need to get rid of "Daniel Coates" while his name is still hot...Is Gresham really the answer for this team at TE dropping at least 2 balls a game & not being able to break a single tackle?...Is Gresham that great player we want to have on the team for another 10 years?..Or should we trade him now while his name is still hot?

I think we should trade him now and get good value for him while we still can because i really don't see us keeping him for more than 2 years at the rate he's going now...What i think we should do is trade him to the Patriots for Ryan Mallet, because Dalton is NOT the answer. It's either you have it or you don't have it. Dalton has no clue on how to move in the pocket and can't find the open recievers. He is very hesitant and scared. People may say it would be stupid to get rid of Dalton after his "sucess" but i give alot of credit to Green, & our D..... we have to make moves now while our team is still young & Dalton is not the guy. He has hit his peak...Last year i said Dalton was going to develop and be like Brady, but he has declined and will be just an average QB in the league..Mallet on the other hand will be a top QB.
Its pretty obvious Gresham doesnt want to stay in cincinnati... either he is dropping balls to state this... Or the fact he cant catch dictates this either way he either needs to step the F*** UP or Step OUT
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Gresham is better than anyone on the Ravens or Seahawks squad
HAHAHAHAAHA

I see the Ravens and Seahawks TE's catching balls which makes them a better TE

Also Gresham cant handle Snap counts

And cant block....
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
MB HOF Inductee

Rep Points: 73659
Default Re: Jermaine Gresham

Not going to say Gresh is some monster, but he DID have the most YAC out of any TE in the league. His problem is obviously focus, and while it's difficult to imagine he'll fix it, he's still only in his third year and players have made changes from later in their career. With the ability to afford his last year here, and a moderately viable option as the #2, I don't see any reason to trade him.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hopeful View Post
I think it is laughable that some believe that they can call Dalton a failure already. It is year 2! This was the only year he had a full training camp and he is putting up numbers like Brady and Peyton when they were starting off.
I wish people would stop saying this. You really can't compare QBs that started when the NFL was almost a totally different animal.

-Refs didn't throw a flag for touching a QB above the chest area.
-Helmet to helmet and "defenseless receiver" were almost non-existent terms.

Defenses could get away with A LOT more than they do now so it's so much easier to be a passer in the modern NFL. I don't think it's any coincidence that Brady became elite after all the new offense-friendly rules were put into place.

If anything, Dalton should be compared to people close to his draft class.
Stafford
Sanchez
Freeman
Bradford
Tebow
Clausen
Newton
Locker
Gabbert
Ponder
Kaepernick
Luck
Griffin III

Tannehill
Weeden
Wilson

There's 7 guys I believe are more talented than Dalton(in bold)
4 guys I think have about the same potential(Tannehill, Ponder, Locker, Freeman)
5 guys that aren't as good, and likely never will be(Weeden, Gabbert, Clausen, Tebow, Sanchez)

So really, I'd say Dalton is middle of the pack when it comes to ability.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinghost View Post
I wish people would stop saying this. You really can't compare QBs that started when the NFL was almost a totally different animal.

-Refs didn't throw a flag for touching a QB above the chest area.
-Helmet to helmet and "defenseless receiver" were almost non-existent terms.

Defenses could get away with A LOT more than they do now so it's so much easier to be a passer in the modern NFL. I don't think it's any coincidence that Brady became elite after all the new offense-friendly rules were put into place.

If anything, Dalton should be compared to people close to his draft class.
Stafford
Sanchez
Freeman
Bradford
Tebow
Clausen
Newton
Locker
Gabbert
Ponder
Kaepernick
Luck
Griffin III

Tannehill
Weeden
Wilson

There's 7 guys I believe are more talented than Dalton(in bold)
4 guys I think have about the same potential(Tannehill, Ponder, Locker, Freeman)
5 guys that aren't as good, and likely never will be(Weeden, Gabbert, Clausen, Tebow, Sanchez)

So really, I'd say Dalton is middle of the pack when it comes to ability.
Newton *****.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 273

He should be the first cut made. He has dropped a lot of passes this year that should have been made. It really showed up in the playoff game! He cannot catch a pass if he has anyone even close to him! He is not an NFL calliber player.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2717

OK -for all the Stupid out there-no team is going to trade for a guy in the last year of his deal. Especially since many of you think he should be waived if he cant be traded...he has little trade value if he is as bad as you say....

Ian
Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 157
Default Gresham isn't going anywhere

First off, I am not a Gresham apologist and I even wanted Dez Bryant over him in that draft. However, Gresham will start next season and there is no doubt about that. He had a horrible game in the playoffs but he is immensely talented and is coming off a season of over 700 yards. Does he need to get better this offseason? Absolutely. And I have the confidence that he can and will. I'm sure this game was a reality check for him. He will have extra focus and be ready to become one of the elites come preseason.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 5745
Default Re: Gresham isn't going anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhodey77 View Post
First off, I am not a Gresham apologist and I even wanted Dez Bryant over him in that draft. However, Gresham will start next season and there is no doubt about that. He had a horrible game in the playoffs but he is immensely talented and is coming off a season of over 700 yards. Does he need to get better this offseason? Absolutely. And I have the confidence that he can and will. I'm sure this game was a reality check for him. He will have extra focus and be ready to become one of the elites come preseason.
Lets hope.
Because he's definitely not going anywhere else.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2746

Quote:

It's not all about 700 yards. It's about his overall football ability. He has very little at this point in his career compared to other TE's taken in the draft with him. if he was taken in the 7th round it would be more understandable but he was not. Gresham frequently screws up on routes and gives up on the play too easily. At this point these are the things he should have a much better mastery of.

Either he is a bust or the coaches teaching him how to play at the NFL level are. He will never be elite under the system and coaches here.

I'd feel more comfortable with Orsen Charles starting.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Quote:
He was immensly inconsistant all season long.... And was almost single handled responsible for killing every drive in the 1st half... I agree he will be here next year but we need to give more snaps to Charles than Gresham at least for Receiving.

We can do better than Gresham

but Gresham Cant learn a snap count (or cant count)
Cant block
Cant Catch...

all those things are pretty important for a TE.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abspara View Post
It's not all about 700 yards. It's about his overall football ability. He has very little at this point in his career compared to other TE's taken in the draft with him. if he was taken in the 7th round it would be more understandable but he was not. Gresham frequently screws up on routes and gives up on the play too easily. At this point these are the things he should have a much better mastery of.

Either he is a bust or the coaches teaching him how to play at the NFL level are. He will never be elite under the system and coaches here.

I'd feel more comfortable with Orsen Charles starting.

Hey I am down on him as well but the truth is the coaches have made him what he is. He is an Inline Tight End now. He will not be like Gronk, Jimmy Graham and those guys. He has been turned into an inline guy. He basically run seams and hitches. Where i think the coaches error is not using him like the Texans use Owen Daniels. Get him lined up and clear out his side with vertical receiver routes and let Gresham get out into the flat on read routes. Part of this is QB play too
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 10

I put a lot of our offensive issues on him for this past game. He had so many opportunities to make plays and let balls hit him in the hands fall. That cannot happen for a playoff team. No, he didn't lose the game for us, but he sure as heck didn't help us win at all this weekend.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 178

Quote:
I thought he was supposed to be the missing piece this team has been lacking?

Either we have been sold a bill of goods or the Bengals don't know how to utilize him, lets not forget a 1st round pick was used on him.

BOTH, gruden doesn't utilize him enough and he doesn't make the play when the ball comes his way, lead the NFL in DROPS and HOLDING penalties. Thats just Terrible, I will be ****** if he stays a bengal after next year. Draft a good recieving TE and have Charles be your blocking beast.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 20894

Quote:
I thought he was supposed to be the missing piece this team has been lacking?

Either we have been sold a bill of goods or the Bengals don't know how to utilize him, lets not forget a 1st round pick was used on him.
What you see is what you get--capable of being dominant, equally capable of losing focus and stinking up the place. Personally, I think we can find better but we won't.