Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Cincinnati Bengals Football Discussion > Jungle Noise

Jungle Noise Bengals Football Discussion for BENGALS FANS ONLY. Visiting team fans please keep your postings in one of our other forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 PM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2414
Default Re: How Does Mike Brown Letting Joseph Go Look Now ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
....and what players MUST Mike Brown keep ?.....I hope we don't see Gino Atkins leave any time soon. He makes our defense ALOT better.

We drafted Joseph and Hall back to back years in first round.....Would have been nice to have both of them still.....Dalton threw the game winning TD pass to Green who had his hands on it, but Joseph tipped it away on a great DB play....Joseph has been huge in our two play-off losses to Houston.....We don't have him....and Houston does.
I believe we franchised our kicker. We should have franchised JJoe and if a team really wanted him that bad they'd have to give up 2 1sts I believe. Then we could have signed him during the season. I don't see why we didn't tag him and then we wasted a 1st round pick on a CB that's made of glass.

This team has never tagged the right player and has always lost key pieces. Steinbach walking after all the injuries and tagging Justin Smith just to let him leave.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 149
bengals Re: How Does Mike Brown Letting Joseph Go Look Now ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
I was one of the guys who was most upset at Mike for letting him go, but if you think our secondary was the reason we lost yesterday, you need to re-watch the game. Our secondary played pretty well, especially our corners. Terence Newman might be a little downgrade from Joseph, but he's also $8 million cheaper/year.

Green got 80 yards on Joseph, and if Dalton wasn't playing like a bag of ****, he would have gotten well over 100.
If you ask me j joe has been getting toasted all year ...And he was hurt again.....AJ ****** on him dalton just couldnt get the ball to him ....Because the bengals coaches are blind and cant see that COOK ***** .....Another thing newman only got beat 1 time all year if you ask me i think he played lights out for us.......Why cant we just understand that we got beat...We didnt get beat up ...WE just lost...I dont know about you but i knew we would not go very far this year .....I felt that we needed 1 more year to put us over the top......And we dont need a so called number 2 WR.... The guys we got will be much better next year .....What we need to do is give them some time to run a rout .....And give andy dalton some time to throw the ball......We need a center and a right tackle ....Yeah thats right a tackle ...The guys fat out of shape and gets payed way to much ...To have guys beating him around the corner 4 out of every 10 plays.....They where just the better team and thats all there is to it.......But i got a felling next year the playoffs will be played in paul brown ....And then we will make that run we benn waiting 22 years for .....And it will be worth the wait
Old 01-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 149
bengals Re: How Does Mike Brown Letting Joseph Go Look Now ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyhands View Post
I believe we franchised our kicker. We should have franchised JJoe and if a team really wanted him that bad they'd have to give up 2 1sts I believe. Then we could have signed him during the season. I don't see why we didn't tag him and then we wasted a 1st round pick on a CB that's made of glass.

This team has never tagged the right player and has always lost key pieces. Steinbach walking after all the injuries and tagging Justin Smith just to let him leave.
Yeah ok they where gonna franchise J joe and give him 20 million thats the year revis got all that money from the jets ....I dont get this post our corners or our defense aint the reason we lost .....The loss goes to the oline and good old slow azz rey ....I didnt see 1 deep ball get completed in the last 8 games ...And your talking about a corner that aint played for us in 2 years...That got beat like a drum bye AJ green ALL DAY....HES GONE MOVE ON ....WHATS YOUR POINT....IT AINT GONNA CHANGE NOTHEN....TO BLAT ABOUT IT
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 10579

Green was torching J. Joe all day long....

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4979

While I think Joesph is a bit overrated on these boards( he is not better than Hall, Joesph did not cover the elite WRs every play like some believe he covered his side and Hall did the same thing on his size, basically their Equals) we would still be a better team with him. .
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 24451

I liked Joseph as much as the next Bengal fan. He was a great corner when healthy. The team did a great job identifying him as a potentially elite corner and them developing him.

That said, I'm realistic. Outside of franchising, it's sometimes tough to keep guys here when other teams offer the same money we do and "allegedly" more player-friendly organizations. Some guys just want to leave and I think J.Joe was one of them. I'm not mad at the team for that. I've been a fan for long enough to understand.

If I'm going to get irate about a recently-lost player that we had every opportunity to keep around, then that player is going to be Evan Mathis. He was buried behind Livings in an ill-concieved OG platoon in his time here. He played well for us. He wouldn't have taken a lot of money to bring back, as he wasn't making much and woul'dve been happy to stay for a reasonable upgrade in pay.

The staff should have started him and the FO should have signed him. Now we get to watch him go to the pro bowl and be one of the best LGs in the league. Really makes me mad.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCU Rams View Post
are you talking about the 3rd and 11 in the 4th quarter...joseph was toast on that play.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...erthrows-Green
Joseph should have never been let go. You won't win Championships letting your elite players walk.

He got burned by AJ? By the end of AJ's career, there won't be a corner in the league that hasn't been burned by him a couple times.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 1261

Quote:
....and what players MUST Mike Brown keep ?.....I hope we don't see Gino Atkins leave any time soon. He makes our defense ALOT better.

We drafted Joseph and Hall back to back years in first round.....Would have been nice to have both of them still.....Dalton threw the game winning TD pass to Green who had his hands on it, but Joseph tipped it away on a great DB play....Joseph has been huge in our two play-off losses to Houston.....We don't have him....and Houston does.
gotta love the irony and well, KARMA loves M. Brown. He gets it all the time.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21957

Ugh....this argument again? Mike Brown didn't let him go. He offered him a contract. It just so happened, that Joseph wanted to play somewhere else, so he did.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
Ugh....this argument again? Mike Brown didn't let him go. He offered him a contract. It just so happened, that Joseph wanted to play somewhere else, so he did.
If you can't keep your elite players, then you're doing something wrong. That's on Mike and Katie...
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 21957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utts View Post
If you can't keep your elite players, then you're doing something wrong. That's on Mike and Katie...
I agree. It's not like they lose all of their "elite" players though.....
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham View Post
The bengals tried to extend his contract. Joseph wouldn't agree to a deal. Leon Hall was able to reach a deal. The franchise tag wasn't really an option for several reasons that had to do with the expiring CBA. Besides, we tried thatbwith justin smith. He wanted out too, but we tagged him and forced him to play another year. And like I said, Joseph made all those comments about wanting to be here before the whole Carson Palmer fiasco/ retirement. After that, Joseph wanted to be someplace else.

Just accept it. He wanted out. He's no longer here. We've moved on
Leon Hall was extended a month and a half after JJoe signed with Houston. So that comparison isn't really relevant. Besides, the Bengals were desperate to keep at least one of their great CBs so they offered everything to Hall.

A few players got tagged that off-season by GMs who's main focus was retaining talent, but Mike Brown is way too concerned about a potential loss of money, so he didn't tag any players.

Smith probably didn't WANT to be tagged, Joseph did. There's the difference.

I definitely accept the fact that he wanted out...after he was given low-ball offers all season and watched the franchise QB say he'd rather retire than play another down for this franchise. Plus, MB's handling of that situation; essentially holding Carson's football life hostage because Brown felt personally wronged. So yeah, I can see why he didn't want to re-sign after that.

The bottom line fact is that if Mike Brown had run a better franchise JJoe would have wanted to stay, and would have probably taken a lesser contract than he did in Houston. It's pointless anyway though since you can't change the past.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:46 AM
VIP Gold Member

Rep Points: 19425

Well, he gave up 80 yards in one half and should have been more if Green hadn't allowed him to pick off that pass (if Green tried, that's 20 more yards). He also would have given up more yards if Dalton didn't underthrow Green in the end zone (he still caught it, but then they hit his helmet. Not sure why that wasn't called, by the way). He also would have given up more yards and a touchdown if Dalton didn't overthrow Green in the end zone.

Bottom line?
We made JJoe look better than he played.
Much better.

I'll take Hall over JJoe any day.

5-4-14
Round 1: CALVIN PRYOR Safety Louisville
Round 2: MARCUS MARTIN Center USC
Round 3: STANLEY JEAN-BAPTISTE CB Nebraska
Round 4: JACK MEWHORT OT OSU
Round 5: TAJH BOYD QB Clemson
Round 6: CODY HOFFMAN WR BYU
Round 6: TREVOR REILLY OLB/DE Utah
Round 7: AARON LYNCH DE South Florida
Round 7: DAMIEN WILLIAMS RB Oklahoma
Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 838

Quote:

The Bengals couldnt afford to keep both Hall and JJoe. You cant spend 20 million on two players at one position like that........ its just not happening. I think the Bengals made the better choice on keeping Hall. He is not always bitten by the injury bug like JJoe always seems to be. Hall I think proved his worth coming back from a possible carrer ending achillies tear, so quickly and really made some pick key plays and picks down the stretch to get the Bengals back to the playoffs. Who had the bigger impact on Sats playoff game. I think you can give that one to Hall who had seven points and slowed down one of the NFLs hottest WRs.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM
VIP Member

Rep Points: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambino5130 View Post
The Bengals couldnt afford to keep both Hall and JJoe. You cant spend 20 million on two players at one position like that........ its just not happening. I think the Bengals made the better choice on keeping Hall. He is not always bitten by the injury bug like JJoe always seems to be. Hall I think proved his worth coming back from a possible carrer ending achillies tear, so quickly and really made some pick key plays and picks down the stretch to get the Bengals back to the playoffs. Who had the bigger impact on Sats playoff game. I think you can give that one to Hall who had seven points and slowed down one of the NFLs hottest WRs.
As stated we picked Hall and JJ back to back years in the first round.

They were never selected to play the same position.

You missed it be a mile.

The Mike Brown apoligist never cease to amaze me.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
VIP Silver Member

Rep Points: 4645

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjdawg View Post
Bottom line?
We made JJoe look better than he played.
Much better.

I'll take Hall over JJoe any day.
So if Hall goes up against Calvin Johnson and gives up 150+ and 2tds then he's not a good CB?

In that game on Saturday, both Hall and Joseph made plays that were very valuable to their respective teams. Hall had that pick6, and Joseph got an INT and had a pdef that would have resulted in a TD.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Rep Points: 8689

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambino5130 View Post
We had nearly $30 million of cap space when Joseph left. The Bengals made him a healthy offer too. (Obviously they wanted to sign him.)

We then had to sign Nate Clements, Jason Allen, and draft Kirkpatrick to replace him. We invested more in Josephs replacements than Joseph would have costed...and all 3 are lesser players.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
VIP Platinum Member

Rep Points: 23542
bengals Re: Mike Zimmer "not happy" Joseph got away

Seriously ......it really is time for some to move on.