Cincinnati Bengals

Go Back   Cincinnati Bengals Message Boards - Forums > Off-Topic Forum > Klotsch

Klotsch Exchange recipes, talk about movies, comment on Jessica Simpson or anything you want. Just do it here instead of ruining someone else's football-related topic.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,699
Rep Points: 52242
Default What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

I very rarely give out rep points, so I am not to familiar with all the rules. The last three times I have tried to give rep points (to three different members) I have been told that I need to "spread around the rep" before I can give anymore.

I could understand if I was just trying to rep the same member over and over again, but this has been to three different guys. The funny thing is that one of them was Beaker, and I don't remember ever giving him any rep before unless it was from my Birthday thread where I repped every single person that posted.

So does anyone know what the exact rule is? How do I know who I can rep in order to satisfy this "spread around" rule?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,214
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
I very rarely give out rep points, so I am not to familiar with all the rules. The last three times I have tried to give rep points (to three different members) I have been told that I need to "spread around the rep" before I can give anymore.

I could understand if I was just trying to rep the same member over and over again, but this has been to three different guys. The funny thing is that one of them was Beaker, and I don't remember ever giving him any rep before unless it was from my Birthday thread where I repped every single person that posted.

So does anyone know what the exact rule is? How do I know who I can rep in order to satisfy this "spread around" rule?
Think you must rep 5 other people before repping the same person again
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 PM
ibengals's Avatar
ibengals ibengals is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,310
Rep Points: 5169
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

I don't understand it at all either. I think there's a time cap as well to when you can rep them again. If you wait a couple of days, it usually works again.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,214
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
I don't understand it at all either. I think there's a time cap as well to when you can rep them again. If you wait a couple of days, it usually works again.

False. I've been repped by the same individual 10 minutes later...rep sloots!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 PM
coachmcneil71's Avatar
coachmcneil71 coachmcneil71 is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tin pan alley!
Posts: 2,635
Rep Points: 8705
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Fred you're an important member on this board. You bring a lot of good stuff.I don't always agree with you but if you notice I often rep you. It's because it's free and it's ok to rep someone if they make a valid point or make you laugh.
I learned this from Sunset. He doesn't always agree but he understands that it is a very simple way of saying I understand or at least a way of showing some compassion.
I neg repped a dude last night for being a Newb azz but a little later he made a valid point and I gave it back to him.
He is the first and hopefully the only cat that I have/will ever neg rep.
Most of us are Bengal fans and most of the time it's more constructive to give folks positive encouragement.
You're a valued member on this board.You're intelligent and witty at times.
Spread the love man! It will make you and someone happy.
I disagree with you at times but I have never neg repped you and I pos rep you more times than not for bringing your knowledge and insight.
It's free and sometimes people need and appreciate the fact that someone is listening.
No reason to be scrooge or devils advocate all of the time. We all want the same thing success for our Bengals and acceptance.
We're really all just one big diverse family here. It will bring you some joy and it will do the same for others especialy Newbs. No reason to chase them all off. Some of them may pan out after a couple of years of solid board coaching!..lol
Try to enjoy the boards Fred we all have a comin interest here.

Last edited by coachmcneil71; 01-07-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 PM
BmorePat87's Avatar
BmorePat87 BmorePat87 is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Birdland
Posts: 10,111
Rep Points: 13561
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Yea I tend to just hand out what little rep I am able to.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfritz21 View Post
Anyways, Adderral's not even a drug
-----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy's Best View Post
I still don't think we are evolved from primates. I don't think we are even remotely related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmicGeek View Post
We aren't evolved from primates, we are primates.
--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfine32 View Post
I can guarentee you there is not a dude on the earth that is as passionate about his male lover as I am my relgion.



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Edge's Avatar
Edge Edge is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hershey, PA
Posts: 798
Rep Points: 679
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Same here. I've repped a couple responses within a same thread for good points and have gotten a similar warning. Something about reading or learning about rep rules and when & how to use it (i'm not sure of any exact wording, but that was the jist of it).

Seemed extremely odd to me since I rarely post, but rather read through the threads instead, and I see some posters with thousands of rep and even fewer replies and I'm the one that gets a warning box about how & when to rep someone?!! Whatever!!
__________________
- Edge
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Ben zoo 2 Ben zoo 2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In your head
Posts: 1,302
Rep Points: 2657
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

I'm not sure the number of times you have to rep others or the time delay rules, but I have seen that notice before. Thanks for posting the question. Now stfu and rep my azz
__________________
Can't we all just get along?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Edge's Avatar
Edge Edge is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hershey, PA
Posts: 798
Rep Points: 679
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben zoo 2 View Post
I'm not sure the number of times you have to rep others or the time delay rules, but I have seen that notice before. Thanks for posting the question. Now stfu and rep my azz
Done. And no warning about flagerent repping.....the rep gods must be sleeping!
__________________
- Edge
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,165
Rep Points: 22420
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

I rep pretty often. Pretty much anytime someone makes a good point, or actually makes me lol. Sometimes I re-rep too....If someone gives me one that says something like "no hard feelings", I'll shoot one back saying "no big deal" or something of the sorts. From time to time, that "spread the rep" message will show.

A couple of months ago I got a rep from Fred and was legitimately shocked. Most of the old school members hate repping the newer dudes for some reason. Maybe because when they do, it's worth about 40 noob reps.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM
Lawless_1's Avatar
Lawless_1 Lawless_1 is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 8,051
Rep Points: 10579
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I rep pretty often. Pretty much anytime someone makes a good point, or actually makes me lol. Sometimes I re-rep too....If someone gives me one that says something like "no hard feelings", I'll shoot one back saying "no big deal" or something of the sorts. From time to time, that "spread the rep" message will show.

A couple of months ago I got a rep from Fred and was legitimately shocked. Most of the old school members hate repping the newer dudes for some reason. Maybe because when they do, it's worth about 40 noob reps.
Wow.

You should feel honored.
__________________
"I don't care if it's rock, paper, scissors or a race to the car I do what I can to win" - Tyler Eifert

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 AM
jmccracky's Avatar
jmccracky jmccracky is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lancaster, Ohio
Posts: 7,874
Rep Points: 16944
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

I've had like, 3 rep from Fred. Which means, I win.
__________________
Shalom Aleikhem
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Lawless_1's Avatar
Lawless_1 Lawless_1 is online now
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina
Posts: 8,051
Rep Points: 10579
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccracky View Post
I've had like, 3 rep from Fred. Which means, I win.
Well you've been around since '05 ya old fart.
__________________
"I don't care if it's rock, paper, scissors or a race to the car I do what I can to win" - Tyler Eifert

Xbox Gamertag L4WL3SS 1 (360 and One)

Follow me on Twitter @Lawless_1
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 AM
HarleyDog's Avatar
HarleyDog HarleyDog is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: standing right behind you
Posts: 7,784
Rep Points: 21283
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

The reason some have high rep is because in the beginning, rep points were worth more. Also, I beleive the amount of times you must rep other before re-repping someone is 5-6. I think this was done just to prevent two people from continually repping each other just to drive up thier rep(utation) without actually participating or earning them through witty or constructive postings (which evidently has been abused in the past). As far as the mods go (question not asked but fueling the curious), they once had rep like everyone else and then one day they all had 100,000. Therefore, when you see a mods rep points? Only that over 100,000 was actually earned. I think the 100,000 is a bonus for all the work they do on here since many of them don't get paid to police this site.

Recently, I have seen something new that baffled me too Fred. Whenever I've given or received (cant remember which) a lot of rep in the same thread? There is a warning for that too. Cant remember what it is but will post when I see it again.

Oh, and just so you know, this thread will probably be moved to "Fan Feedback!"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 AM
fredtoast's Avatar
fredtoast fredtoast is offline
MB HOF Inductee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Scenic East Tennessee
Posts: 47,699
Rep Points: 52242
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmcneil71 View Post
Fred you're an important member on this board. You bring a lot of good stuff.I don't always agree with you but if you notice I often rep you. It's because it's free and it's ok to rep someone if they make a valid point or make you laugh.
I learned this from Sunset. He doesn't always agree but he understands that it is a very simple way of saying I understand or at least a way of showing some compassion.
I neg repped a dude last night for being a Newb azz but a little later he made a valid point and I gave it back to him.
He is the first and hopefully the only cat that I have/will ever neg rep.
Most of us are Bengal fans and most of the time it's more constructive to give folks positive encouragement.
You're a valued member on this board.You're intelligent and witty at times.
Spread the love man! It will make you and someone happy.
I disagree with you at times but I have never neg repped you and I pos rep you more times than not for bringing your knowledge and insight.
It's free and sometimes people need and appreciate the fact that someone is listening.
No reason to be scrooge or devils advocate all of the time. We all want the same thing success for our Bengals and acceptance.
We're really all just one big diverse family here. It will bring you some joy and it will do the same for others especialy Newbs. No reason to chase them all off. Some of them may pan out after a couple of years of solid board coaching!..lol
Try to enjoy the boards Fred we all have a comin interest here.
Hey, I am trying to give more rep, but the rules won't let me. And it isn't like I am repping the same people over and over (that I can remember anyway).

*Edit* Well it just allowed me to give rep to coachmcneil.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,214
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I rep pretty often. Pretty much anytime someone makes a good point, or actually makes me lol. Sometimes I re-rep too....If someone gives me one that says something like "no hard feelings", I'll shoot one back saying "no big deal" or something of the sorts. From time to time, that "spread the rep" message will show.

A couple of months ago I got a rep from Fred and was legitimately shocked. Most of the old school members hate repping the newer dudes for some reason. Maybe because when they do, it's worth about 40 noob reps.

They don't want to share the cake, grumpy bastards!! Most of em also participated in the free rep thread back in the day which greatly influences their rep power.

Freds repped me a couple times but it usually has to be involved with cocaine booze and hookers.

I rep anytime i LOL whether it be a fan of the bengals, pitt, ravens..(no colts)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Helldog's Avatar
Helldog Helldog is offline
VIP Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: paradise
Posts: 4,214
Rep Points: 7076
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDog View Post
The reason some have high rep is because in the beginning, rep points were worth more. Also, I beleive the amount of times you must rep other before re-repping someone is 5-6. I think this was done just to prevent two people from continually repping each other just to drive up thier rep(utation) without actually participating or earning them through witty or constructive postings (which evidently has been abused in the past). As far as the mods go (question not asked but fueling the curious), they once had rep like everyone else and then one day they all had 100,000. Therefore, when you see a mods rep points? Only that over 100,000 was actually earned. I think the 100,000 is a bonus for all the work they do on here since many of them don't get paid to police this site.

Recently, I have seen something new that baffled me too Fred. Whenever I've given or received (cant remember which) a lot of rep in the same thread? There is a warning for that too. Cant remember what it is but will post when I see it again.

Oh, and just so you know, this thread will probably be moved to "Fan Feedback!"

You can't rep the same post twice buddy

Although a lot of mine, I could see you wanting to rep 2-3 times, but sadly, you just can't.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18 AM
HarleyDog's Avatar
HarleyDog HarleyDog is offline
VIP Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: standing right behind you
Posts: 7,784
Rep Points: 21283
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldog View Post
You can't rep the same post twice buddy

Although a lot of mine, I could see you wanting to rep 2-3 times, but sadly, you just can't.
I said the same thread, not the same post.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 AM
SunsetBengal's Avatar
SunsetBengal SunsetBengal is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sunset Beach, NC
Posts: 15,595
Rep Points: 45932
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

While the "you must first spread the rep" message is annoying at times, particularly if someone makes a series of valid points in the same thread, I do understand the need for such a rule to be in place.

Some days, I'll just respond to posts that I enjoy through the rep message, that way the person I'm responding to will see that I was saying something specifically intended for them to see, without having to go back and wade through an entire thread to notice it.

Anyway, repping is a good thing. Its good for morale, it lets people know that you appreciated what they had to say, and besides...it don't cost anything. So, I say, Share it!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 34,739
Rep Points: 34054
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtoast View Post
I very rarely give out rep points, so I am not to familiar with all the rules. The last three times I have tried to give rep points (to three different members) I have been told that I need to "spread around the rep" before I can give anymore.

I could understand if I was just trying to rep the same member over and over again, but this has been to three different guys. The funny thing is that one of them was Beaker, and I don't remember ever giving him any rep before unless it was from my Birthday thread where I repped every single person that posted.

So does anyone know what the exact rule is? How do I know who I can rep in order to satisfy this "spread around" rule?
its so 2 people dont boost each others Rep points.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
RumbleCat RumbleCat is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,019
Rep Points: 6467
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
A couple of months ago I got a rep from Fred and was legitimately shocked. Most of the old school members hate repping the newer dudes for some reason. Maybe because when they do, it's worth about 40 noob reps.
I once was repped by fred. Angels ascended, and rainbows appeared. Magical fairies danced about and trumpets blew from the heavens. I wept, and then smiled with a warm heart.

I seriously rep. A lot. When it's earned, or just to let people know I read their post. I also enjoy pos repping people who neg rep me. There's one person who has neg repped me a bunch of times. More than one of the reasons was wrong also. Bet no one can guess who??????
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,165
Rep Points: 22420
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCat View Post
I once was repped by fred. Angels ascended, and rainbows appeared. Magical fairies danced about and trumpets blew from the heavens. I wept, and then smiled with a warm heart.

I seriously rep. A lot. When it's earned, or just to let people know I read their post. I also enjoy pos repping people who neg rep me. There's one person who has neg repped me a bunch of times. More than one of the reasons was wrong also. Bet no one can guess who??????
lol....I'm a vindictive person. When I get a neg rep, I will neg rep that person back a half dozen times. It's rare that I start the neg rep thing though. I rarely find a post that idiotic. MS is an exception.....her posts are continually idiotic, yet I never send her neg rep.

And I can't guess who this person is...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,165
Rep Points: 22420
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

I wish every single instance of the word "rep" on these boards was replaced by the word "herpes".
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
XenoMorph's Avatar
XenoMorph XenoMorph is offline
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengals Territory
Posts: 34,739
Rep Points: 34054
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
I wish every single instance of the word "rep" on these boards was replaced by the word "herpes".
I sure the Mods could spread the herpes for you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Johnny Cupcakes's Avatar
Johnny Cupcakes Johnny Cupcakes is online now
VIP Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The District
Posts: 12,165
Rep Points: 22420
Default Re: What is the deal with "spreading around" rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan024 View Post
I sure the Mods could spread the herpes for you.
"You must spread the herpes before you can give herpes to this person again."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012 Cincinnati Bengals. All rights reserved. Do not duplicate in any form without permission of the Cincinnati Bengals.